Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

This was pretty cute and funny, and I'm willing to give it at least a few more episodes! Thank goodness his coworker followed through on his request ...

also what's sword dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

cool, thank you!

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I'm still super charmed by this show, but I was worrying about the level of exposition vs things happening.. This episode was an improvement over the first, and thread chatter seems promising, so I'm pretty hyped to keep with it.

His voice as a slime is so cute ...

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Slow? Ep 1 maybe, there was a lot of exposition and exploration, but ep 2 was a funny chat with the dragon followed by monster murder and then the first major plot hook with the goblins. It may not be lightning fast but I don't know that I'd call it slow.

Well, just, after ep 1 the start of ep 2 had me worried about exposition levels, but yeah, it's a big improvement over the first, and it got going pretty quick after the (charming) dragonchat. Goblin village was a delight. I'm very hopeful overall because this seems like a show with a lot of potential and some great goofs n gags already.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

This show is so impossibly cute, I'm really lovin' it. Episode 2 was pretty reassuring on my pacing concerns, but this episode went at a nice clip that I'm more than happy with. I really loved the goblin village and I'm lookin forward to seeing how this trading mission goes!

So hyped to see from the thread that it's getting 24 episodes. :nyoron: Monsters learning to get along is good content.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

... jeez, that thing with Pizu. I was expecting half of it but uhhhhhhh I thought just the little fox would die, not the girl too. yikes!!

Poor Shizu. :( I hope Rimuru can help her.

Edit: Wait, I feel like an idiot, did Shizu die? is she dead. The next episode title has me worried ...

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 13, 2018

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

Also, Gobuta feels like the protagonist of a different show we only get to see bits of. He's clearly going around and doing stuff offscreen, getting way better at using his powers, and probably taking more sword lessons.

I’d really enjoy if we got an OVA or something about Gobta’s adventures because you’re right he totally feels like he could be protagonist of his own story or show. i didn’t like him at first, but i started feeling fond of him when he was left behind in the dwarf city and he’s only grown on me more since.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Gobta got his own chapter in the light novel, detailing his travels to the dwarven kingdom the first time and what a goddamned hero he is.

i feel like bringing this up again since we're still on gobta chat; i ended up getting the first LN because of it and man, I love Gobta. what a scrappy little dude. he's got the highest luck stat of them all, huh? :allears: Would recommend picking it up for that chapter alone if anyone's on the fence. Or just read the chapter in a bookstore or something, haha.

In the very mildest of possible spoilers, I will say Gobta keeps being the best and keeps leveling up, at least through LN 3. So proud of the lil dude. And from such humble beginnings ...

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

I'm so glad you picked the books up. They're a lot more detailed aren't they.

They really are! And honestly the official translation is really great, too.

I tried reading the fan translation of the web novel for like ... twenty seconds before I gave up. I was half ready to try leaning on my dictionary all the way through the original JP version before I found out the official release was so well done.

But yeah, lots more detail. It's been fun comparing with the anime.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

Agreed about the details. You really get a major understanding of the worlds mechanics and how his skills work along with his internal monologues like how he's initially kind of condescending towards the monsters and doesn't fully intergrate until much later after having lived with them for some time.

Ahh, he really is. And mechanics stuff + village-building stuff like the world voice vs the Great Sage voice. I love that they sound the same to him but aren't actually quite the same source, that's pretty entertaining. And it's really delightful seeing how like the goblins react on evolution, how excited they are that they got to hear the World Voice since usually nobody really does. Also I love how much time the author spent designing the town's water system and detailing its construction. It's interesting you mention him integrating w the monsters - I feel like the anime does a lot better with Rigurd specifically but the LN does better with Rimuru's viewpoint evolving as he gets to know everyone and feels more involved instead of just kinda obligated or sidetracked. Not sure if that needed spoilers but I'm being safe. It really does feel like an RPG meets Civ.

... Speaking of naming, NowonSA said Gobta hit the lottery, and MAN, later on... (intentionally vague spoiler) some characters 100% do not. The background goblins are really lucky comparatively compared to like Mountain M1 or whatever...

None of the spoilers in this post are major plot points on their own, just comparing LN content to the anime with some minor thoughts on things that happen in upcoming arcs without spoiling major characters or plot points.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Can we chill with the spoiler blocks? If you guys need to talk about the source material that badly maybe another thread is warranted.

sorry, i was trying to at least be clear what i meant bc i know unexplained spoilers are obnoxious but i know even with a lil more clarity it’s still frustrating. my enthusiasm got the best of me.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878485

now it exists AND it's missing a letter

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I really love how cute Ranga is in the anime, it's so fun getting to see his puppy dog mannerisms in contrast with poo poo like his fuckin' Death Storm attack that we saw a couple episodes back. Hearing him bark and watching him wag his tail always makes me wanna pet my dog. So I do.

....... also why is gazel so tall, i didn't really notice it when he was sitting down for the trial episode but like. dude is not dwarf height.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

It's kind of weird. They actually kind of ARE, it's just hard conveying it in a visual medium, but Bester, the King, and his military officers are only about 5'5ft tall which is considered above average to straight up tall by dwarf standards.

What gets to me is the dwarf craftsmen at least "feel" short/ Dwarven but the king and Pegasus Knights don't at all. Are they really only like 5'5? I guess I was comparing to how he seemed compared to Benimaru and co. where I thought their heights were more similar. 5'5 for a tall dwarf seems fine, just...

I'm only nitpicking here cuz it's funny to me ahaha.

These last two eps felt slightly rushed to me but I love the new ending theme and the animation was great so I'm still happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

TalkLittle posted:

Gonna assume the humans are weak and lacking skills, but they are well organized and have money. Rimuru will probably also be a lot less willing to fight humans than other races. Wonder if this means future encounters will involve Rimuru showing off his city-building and leadership skills rather than his raw strength.

(Not looking for an actual answer; manga/LN readers don't bother)

Way back when he was setting up rules for the village when it was just him and the goblins + wolves, he made it a law not to attack or mess with humans. Rimuru & the village were pretty welcoming and peaceful with that group of adventurers Shizu visited with, too. So we know humans have spellcasters and can be pretty good at general RPG-type stuff, and that they've got an adventurer's guild.

In the game of Civ Rimuru's playing, he seems more interested in a diplomatic victory than a military one. He just wants to have his peaceful little (or not-so-little, looking at how built up it was in the most recent episode) town and at some point find other isekai'd folks. I don't think he's really WANTED to show off and use his strength these last few encounters, it was just a matter of defending his home.

(I'm following the "post like you've only seen the anime" creed so I hope this is OK. It's all stuff we've seen on screen and not an answer, just building off what you're saying.)