Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
my main peeve is that zoning is based on a square grid and all my cities are now gridded because it’s optimal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My beef is the zoning in general because I've literally never seen a city that looks anything like a regular cities skyline city. I guess there's some suburbs that are similar though.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
it's because the computer model that underlies sim city, and, with additions, almost all future city simulators, came from a 1969 book/paper called Urban Dynamics which attempted to describe a computer model for simulating cities useful to planners with the hardware of the day --obviously written with the planning principles of its time

can't find a copy for under $300 or something like that, otherwise I'd make an episode about it

started editing killdozer btw... sorry this is taking so long

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Martin Random posted:

that block of text was a literal trap for the lanyards in this thread who think talking to people at a bar will get them punched because the proles are all unthinking animals awaiting enlightenment and also they must use words like intersectionality or time value of money or whatever dork poo poo they feel is necessary

see how i say the same thing way easier using vernacular in the post before that one?
i'm not a think tank autist, im a brown person who doesnt want to talk to drunken chuds about revolution

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
because theyll murder me

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

also why doesn't this thread have the TRAINS tag

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

donoteat posted:

im sorry for derailing your thread i like your youtubes

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

donoteat posted:

it's because the computer model that underlies sim city, and, with additions, almost all future city simulators, came from a 1969 book/paper called Urban Dynamics which attempted to describe a computer model for simulating cities useful to planners with the hardware of the day --obviously written with the planning principles of its time

can't find a copy for under $300 or something like that, otherwise I'd make an episode about it

In law school I did a whole semester on euclidean zoning, takings, and all kinds of other famous historical cases and examples, like Penn Station.

Somehow they never talked about stuff like Union Carbide in Bhopal but 30,000 dead within 5 minutes a p good argument for land use management of some sort

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
yes, but essentially nowhere does flat RCI or rciRCI, especially not in a way where small parcels can only be lower density

otoh there's not much gameness in zoning your entire core mixed use unless you go with a Transit Tycoon or A-Train type game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kind of just want a city planning game where the only thing you control is municipal utilities, and your forced to plan around the more or less organically expanding city.

Like instead of designing roads it's my job to balance road repair and underground work so that it doesn't gently caress traffic up too badly

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

a city management rather than city builder game could be fun or incredibly frustrating depending on what levers they let you touch
i usually give up on skylines once i unlock all the buildings and buy all the possible land though i had some fun building winter resorts with the winter resort expansion. just ban cars from big chunks of your city and make it work around that it's neat

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

donoteat posted:

that's wild. anyway thanks for the cool content

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I kind of just want a city planning game where the only thing you control is municipal utilities, and your forced to plan around the more or less organically expanding city.

Like instead of designing roads it's my job to balance road repair and underground work so that it doesn't gently caress traffic up too badly

Open Transport Tycoon, but you're in charge of the water supply or emergency services

Chasterson
Aug 16, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
This series is good give the man your dollar

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

donoteat posted:

we go to post with the thread tags we have, not the thread tags we want.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
in honor of the spooky month, here is a spooky train story stolen from the OSHA thread

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Oh, y'all want a derail? Let's get literal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Helena_train_wreck

I lived less than a mile from the wreck, as the crow flies. I also slept through it, but my parents were jolted out of bed and said they ran to the window only to see a nuclear-style mushroom cloud ascending into the sky. I woke up a few hours later, when the -30F degree temps, plus the fact that the door between the house and the uninsulated garage had gotten dislodged by the blast, made the house cold enough to wake me. We weren't evacuated per se, but we ended up taking refuge with my aunt and uncle in East Helena, since the power was out and the house bled off too much heat with the door open. We had friends in a nearby neighborhood whose windows were blown out. Hell of a thing to happen when it's that loving cold outside. The college was mega-hosed for a while due to blast damage. The local TV station is just downhill from the college, and for a decade or so, the busted up hulk of one of the exploded train cars was displayed behind a fence next door.

That no one died is kind of amazing. Even the explosion that tore apart downtown Bozeman in the 00s killed at least one person.

Oddly enough, there was a much worse wreck that originated in a similar area in 1906.
http://www.gendisasters.com/montana/5368/austin%2C-mt-train-wreck%2C-feb-1906
http://www.gendisasters.com/montana/5370/austin%2C-mt-train-wreck%2C-feb-1906-second-article

Highlights, from a much more brutal time in journalism (bolding mine):

FIVE KILLED IN AWFUL WRECK posted:

The passenger train preceded the freight out of Austin about eight miles west of Helena. At Austin the engine was detached from the freight. There is a heavy grade from Austin to Helena and the freight got loose. The passenger train was waiting at a crossing when the freight came thundering down. Before it could get out of the way the freight crashed into it throwing all the passenger cars into the ditch.

The passenger engine became uncoupled and kept on the track ahead of the freight. After the freight had got a quarter of a mile beyond the passenger wreck it went into the ditch and caught fire. A carload of shingles was dumped on the passenger train wreck, and made a terrific fire.

MESSENGER JESSUP was burned alive while four people were trying to pull him out of the wreck. He was caught under wreckage and could not be saved.

Austin is now a ghost town northwest of Helena. I went exploring up there one night, trying to find a dirt road route over the Continental Divide (don't judge my weird hobbies), got stuck when my car couldn't negotiate the forest service roads, and turned back. As I passed back through Austin, a train went by across the valley from me, and it was the eeriest thing. Nearly silent trains at night seem different from the ones going thru town in the daylight. Anyway, that's what prompted me to try and research the Feb 2, 1989 derailment from my childhood. That's when I ran across the stories from the Feb 6, 1906 derailment

quote:

DISASTROUS WRECK ON NORTHERN PACIFIC

PASSENGER TRAIN IS DEMOLISHED AND FIVE PERSONS ARE KILLED OR BURNED.

Helena, Mont., Feb. 6.-Unless other victims were totally incinerated leaving no vestige of their bodies behind, the total number of dead in last night's collision between a runaway freight on the Northern Pacific and the local passenger from Garrison at the Great Northern crossing near Helena, numbers five, as follows:

CHARLES BICKELL, conductor, Helena

J. F. ROBINSON, bridge carpenter.

EDWARD JESSUP, express messenger, Helena.

FOSTER SENECAL, butcher of Elliston.

Unknown passenger, sex undeterminable.

The injured:

JEFF BROWN, brakeman.

ERNEST ROSSMAN, butcher, Helena.

LENA ANDERSON, on the way from Wisconsin to Lewiston.

All will recover.

The through passenger train passed through Austin, about eight miles west of Helena, on time. Following it was a long freight train made up of box and flat cars loaded with lumber and shingles. At Austin the engine was uncoupled from the freight to take water and the train was left standing on the track. There is a steep grade east of Austin and by some means the freight train got started down the hill.

The passenger train when it arrived at the Montana Central crossing stopped when the engineer heard a sound behind him that warned him of danger. He started his train, but it had gone but a few feet when the freight crashed into the rear car. There were but two cars in the train and they were smashed and thrown into the ditch. The engine became uncoupled but did not leave the track and Engineer PELTY managed to keep ahead of the flying freight. The freight went probably five hundred feet when it, too, went off the track. In a few minutes fire started and for hours the cars and the lumber burned fiercely.

The crash of the collision was heard by persons living in the vicinity who immediately started for the wreck. When they got there an awful scene met their gaze. The combination car was on fire and pinned under a mass of wreckage was JESSUP. He was conscious and heroic efforts were made to release him from his situation. Finally the fire became so hot that the rescuers had to give up the task. JESSUP still conscious, cried: "It is hard to lie here and burn to death." He struggled to release himself as the fire took hold of his limbs, but the effort was fruitless and after a few screams of agony unconsciousness came to him.

Exposed to full view with blazing shingles all about him and his bed a mass of red hot coals, was the body of an unknown man. It was slowly consumed until all that was left was the skull, and, outstretched were two stumps that a few hours before had been arms.

There is supposed to have been eight passengers on the train, of which number two and are still unaccounted for.

"It is hard to lie here and burn to death," and that bit about the man with burned off stumps for arms, holy loving poo poo.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

not nearly as spooky as the high speed train in germany that derailed into a bridge column at 200 kph and flattened 100+ people

quote:

After stopping in Hanover at 10:30, the train continued its journey northwards. About 130 kilometres (80 mi) and forty minutes away from Hamburg and six kilometres (3.7 mi) south of central Eschede, near Celle, the steel tyre on a wheel on the third axle of the first car broke, peeled away from the wheel, and punctured the floor of the car, where it remained embedded.

What ensued was a series of events that occurred within minutes yet took investigators months to reconstruct. The tyre embedded in the rail car was seen by Jörg Dittmann, one of the passengers in Coach 1. The tyre went through an armrest in his compartment, between where his wife and son sat. Dittmann took his wife and son out of the damaged coach and went to inform a conductor in the third coach. The conductor, who noticed vibrations in the train, told Dittmann that company policy required him to investigate the circumstances before pulling the emergency brake. The conductor took one minute to go to the site in Coach 1. According to Dittmann, the train had begun to sway from side to side by then. The conductor did not show a willingness to stop the train immediately at that point and wished to investigate the incident more thoroughly. Dittmann could not find an emergency brake in the corridor and had not noticed that there was an emergency brake handle in his own compartment. The crash occurred just when Dittmann was about to show the armrest puncture to the conductor.

As the train passed over the first of two points, the embedded tyre slammed against the guide rail of the points, pulling it from the railway ties. This guide rail also penetrated the floor of the car, becoming embedded in the vehicle and lifting the axle carriage off the rails. At 10:59 local time (08:59 UTC), one of the now-derailed wheels struck the points lever of the second switch, changing its setting. The rear axles of car number 3 were switched onto a parallel track, and the entire car was thereby thrown into the piers supporting a 300-tonne (300-long-ton; 330-short-ton) roadway overpass, destroying them.

Car number 4, likewise derailed by the violent deviation of car number 3 and still travelling at 200 kilometres per hour (125 mph), passed intact under the bridge and rolled onto the embankment immediately behind it, striking several trees before coming to a stop. Two Deutsche Bahn railway workers who had been working near the bridge were killed instantly when the derailed car crushed them. The breaking of the car couplings caused the automatic emergency brakes to engage and the mostly undamaged first three cars came to a stop.

The front power car and coaches one and two cleared the bridge. Coach three hit the bridge, which began to collapse. Coach four cleared the bridge, moved away from the track, and hit a group of trees. The bridge pieces crushed the rear half of coach five. The restaurant coach, six, was crushed to a 15-centimetre (6 in) height. With the track now obstructed completely by the collapsed bridge, the remaining cars jackknifed into the rubble in a zig-zag pattern: Cars 7, the service car, the restaurant car, the three first-class cars numbered 10 to 12, and the rear power car all derailed and slammed into the pile. The resulting mess was likened to a partially collapsed folding ruler. An automobile was also found in the wreckage. It belonged to the two railway technicians and was probably parked on the bridge before the accident.

Separated from the rest of the carriages, the detached front power car coasted for a further three kilometers (two miles) until it came to a stop after passing Eschede railway station. The partially derailed front power car continued to travel down the track until it came to a halt a short distance after Eschede railway station. Having sustained only minor damage, it was repaired and returned to service.

While the driver and many passengers in the front part of the train survived with minor to moderate injuries, there was little chance of survival for those in the rear carriages, which crashed into the concrete bridge pile at a speed of 200 km/h (120 mph). Including the two railway workers who had been standing under the bridge, 101 people died. ICE 787 had passed under the bridge going in the opposite direction (on the Hamburg to Hanover route) only two minutes earlier.

this is some final destination poo poo

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

donoteat posted:

take your time and thank you for videos

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

take your time and thank you for videos

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm leaving my cock outside on the porch until your video is posted and it's almost halloween and I can't get arrested again

choose wisely,

your n3m3sis

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Martin Random posted:

I'm leaving my cock outside on the porch until your video is posted and it's almost halloween and I can't get arrested again

choose wisely,

your n3m3sis

ok you've convinced me, it's exporting now

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

donoteat posted:

ok you've convinced me, it's exporting now

checks timestamp of post and patreon post

Laphroaig has issued a correction as of 22:20 on Oct 12, 2018

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I vote that you make this patrons only post public and don't feel so bad about not earning that dollar, you earned that dollar

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
give donoteat your dollar

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I will give him my dollar when I have a bank account again

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

If you post the unlisted bonus ep url in here you are a cop. :colbert:

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

:siren: Killdozer episode just dropped! :siren: :getin: :killdozer:

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
here guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl3B_FTDKD0

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Koishi Komeiji posted:

If you post the unlisted bonus ep url in here you are a cop. :colbert:

SCUM, FREEZEBAG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvl_7_Up7zU

just consider giving me the dollar, lol

(i said it'd be easy to pirate)

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

donoteat posted:

SCUM, FREEZEBAG!

REDACTED

BAN THIS FILTH

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
i thought warez were against the rules ban this man

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

donoteat posted:

SCUM, FREEZEBAG!

Lol

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

donoteat posted:

SCUM, FREEZEBAG!

in it, voted 5

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I just upped my monthly contribution to $10 as soon as I heard about your blue mood, donoteat. You are impressive, loved, and if you feel blue again, send me a message about what kind of stupid bullshit your brain is telling you that is wrong.

The Arab!
May 22, 2010
Shoutout to donoteat for helping me find the unlisted link in less than four minutes. I was the guy on twitter trying to push bulldozer 3d models on you.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

drat there are a lot of people giving you money. 2 grand a month. all those $4.20s add up

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
donoteat, I think you found your "thing." And people love it. And it does good. And it is good praxis.

Good job. You deserve it.

This isn't a job, you're an artisan, and you have no employer to please or arbitrarily find fault. This is the closest our society offers to "self actualization." You have to rethink of remunerative work as play, unfettered vistas for your free expression. Yeah, you're getting money from us, but we are not your boss. We're paying you to be you, because we like that. We like the way you think about things, and we like the special view of the world you give us.

If your mind is playing tricks on you, that your work product is not good enough, that it needs to be destroyed and rewritten for publication, that we expect anything other than your free, playful mind, remember that it's lying to you and you are doing your "job" by taking excellent care of yourself. After that, taste the world, think about it, enjoy it. Then take a nap. Only after all of that personal care and enrichment should you concern yourself with the small, small portion of your overall job that involves content production.

When you pay for a musician's talent, you pay for the time that they are playing, the cost of the instrument, everything they invested in obtaining that skill, and whatever else is necessary to keep their body and soul together if not paying their rent. Only a very tiny fraction of their remunerated time is actually spent performing.

If we want to reduce this patronage exchange to have the features of a job, then think of yourself as a musician. The reading, musing, exploring, and play, along with your room and board, that constitutes the bulk of what we pay you for. The content creation is that brief moment you spend performing, and showing us yourself fully, not like a factory worker, but like a musician would.

We want the full package.

And nudes for $10 a month or more

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

donoteat posted:

SCUM, FREEZEBAG!

chipped in, cool vid

tiocfaidh ár lá

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you stop posting like an insane person. Thanks and god bless.