Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

cargo cult posted:

none of this precludes them from being sincerely racist people which makes talking politics with them outside bars as a brown person inadvisable. maybe they had revolutionary potential fifty years ago but theres no point in fantasizing that thats still the case

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

my dudes have you played simutrans?? it's a transportation logistics simulator and I still carry water for it after like 12 years.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Larry Parrish posted:

ive never lived in a city so I dont know poo poo about poo poo but I always thought elevated trains or subways made the most sense. Ofc it's like a thing in movies that els are insanely loud if you live next to them but the light rail in Sacramento is pretty quiet except for the screeching traffic alarms.

The Chicago L is loud as gently caress but a) it's the middle of a city who gives a poo poo and b) it's older'n hell so it's to be expected

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

R. Guyovich posted:

interesting reaction to what was a pretty harmless joke

Forget it Jake, It's "Taiwan Isn't Actually China" town

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Slugnoid posted:

What the hell is going on with Chicago's ridiculous trains?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oAVx6It5MM&t=297s

Why are the stations less than the length of the train apart from each other? :laugh:

that's just in the loop, outside of there it gets more spread out

edit: your clip is at the bottom of the picture, Lasalle/Van Buren exists soley to be a connector to commuter lines because tbh it's kind of a mess between Amtrak/Metra/CTA, whereas Library connects to the Red and Blue subways

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 08:27 on Feb 6, 2019

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

how on Earth do you get hit by a train in Texas. was he running down the tracks like a loving idiot?

"Police in Haltom City, adjacent to Fort Worth, say wireless earbuds were found and Thompson may not have heard the Amtrak train as he jogged in the same direction of the train Tuesday."

same thing happened near me, a guy was walking down the tracks with headphones on and never heard it

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

the complaints Duke have been making are pretty funny according to those articles, everytime the local transit acquiesces, another is made

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

"which are essentially manned drones" what does that mean

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The Penis-shaped Incelatorium slayed me, what the gently caress france

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ikanreed posted:

Let's be honest, being low class in England sucked balls

why the past tense

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

lol

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wow trains suck (works for website that lusts after 90,000 dollar trailer queens)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah, but like, these people always act like it would be impossible to just lay new tracks. oh dear, they might have to imminent domain some land and possibly grade an access road or two. which costs money, sure, but its not like we're talking about building a city on the moon or something

it's weird how we can afford to do this for interstate but not railroads.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Corky Romanovsky posted:

So what you're saying is we need to quadruple our population density?

population density in urban areas got spread out because of cars in the first place u boob

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

net work error posted:

Well that and a bit of racism too.

yeah america, racism is automatic

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hauling freight and passengers at the same time used to be a thing, but on separate cars.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

spankmeister posted:

I can't stand Chapo or any of these leftist podcasts, they all sound like a shock jock radio show to me. I need the calm soothing voice of train daddy.

podcasts suck

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah but the problem is the entire ocean isnt windy, especially the deep parts. didnt you ever hear about sailing ships getting stuck for months in the doldrums? that only went away with steam ships

the horse latitudes :negative:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I'm glad I'm not the only one. He's got the voice of a disgruntled construction worker from the 70s. If he leaned more into a new jersey accent he'd be the "we're loving afscme" guy.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

i say swears online posted:

we gotta lots broads out theah makin sure ya kids don't get run ovah

makin sure ya kids ain't drinkin no fuckin piss from no watah fountans

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

holy poo poo that coal company bulldozing a 100 year old church for their mine is :popeye:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Nitrousoxide posted:

They aren't bombs, but they do have highly radioactive materials which could be spread into the water/air if the reactor is breached in a derailment.

you know trains haul anhydrous ammonia right?

edit: for those that don't know anhydrous ammonia is essentially liquid death with safe exposure times (depending on concentration) of less than 15 minutes.

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 19:37 on May 5, 2019

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The L is pretty slow but I tell ya there's nothing like the train screeching by when you're eating a donut at 7 AM. It's like you're in a fuckin period piece.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Crazycryodude posted:

anhydrous ammonia is only carried on a few specific trains with I presume extra attention paid to making ABSOLUTELY sure nothing goes wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Corky Romanovsky posted:

If it's just the platforms, put up some signs that say car 1 or car 10 or whatever don't open at the airport.

It's not about the platforms, really. The winter trains would be parked across a road for 45 minutes every time the train came in, which would snarl traffic and cause lots of bitching. So FDOT tried to build a bridge and that was shut down because of costs so the only solution is "Amtrak doesn't go here". Also Miami Intermodal is meant to be the terminal so they can't really close one or more cars. Though, to be fair to Florida, Amtrak was giving them the wrong numbers for how long the platforms needed to be, giving them the summer trains and not the winter ones.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Mantis42 posted:

I like trains as public policy. I don't care about the actual machines themselves and find the video too boring to watch.

if you don't foam you can roam, fucker

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

are they elevated in miami too?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Bulgakov posted:

jimmy carter's malaise speech and the nixon era 55mph speed limit were right

(americans were PISSED)

:hmmyes:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Americans want someone who will tell them the god's honest truth unless that truth is "maybe don't be such a consumerist whore, dipshit"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

R. Guyovich posted:

actually they want to be told everything they're doing is fine and good by a person pretending to tell them the god's honest truth

oh!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

they should be more like america and not build any public transit at all, dummies

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

GotLag posted:

That's right, things are always 100% good or 100% bad, they never have aspects of both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FdvXl5GAes

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

other countries do this too, I don't get why you're mad at mean ol beijing for being open about it?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

he just posted a new video

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverging_diamond_interchange

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Weembles posted:

San Diego is planning to build a protected bikeway along a major street in a fairly (for San Diego) dense urban neighbourhood. It's going to result in a net loss of parking spaces, so the local businesses are predictably against it, but the local Nextdoor NIMBYs are absolutely losing their poo poo over it.

Here's a sample:

Good lord that post.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Dmitri-9 posted:

Mismanagement of aquifers means that the state will just run out of water, literally.

yeah them and the entire plains

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ikanreed posted:

Guys guys... What is brutalism, but trains

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ikanreed posted: