Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
i screwed up my schedule big time after a weird depressive period last week

fixed a bunch of stuff that was making me hate myself this week so i oughta be finished with killdozer by the end of the weekend hopefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

i will talk to you outside of a bar

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

it's because the computer model that underlies sim city, and, with additions, almost all future city simulators, came from a 1969 book/paper called Urban Dynamics which attempted to describe a computer model for simulating cities useful to planners with the hardware of the day --obviously written with the planning principles of its time

can't find a copy for under $300 or something like that, otherwise I'd make an episode about it

started editing killdozer btw... sorry this is taking so long

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

also why doesn't this thread have the TRAINS tag

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Martin Random posted:

I'm leaving my cock outside on the porch until your video is posted and it's almost halloween and I can't get arrested again

choose wisely,

your n3m3sis

ok you've convinced me, it's exporting now

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Koishi Komeiji posted:

If you post the unlisted bonus ep url in here you are a cop. :colbert:

SCUM, FREEZEBAG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvl_7_Up7zU

just consider giving me the dollar, lol

(i said it'd be easy to pirate)

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

definitely enjoying the "everyone in this thread is either drunk or high" vibe in here

i am dunk, personally

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

i am drinking lager

could we just get a bunch of folks to salt the yuengling brewery already, i'm sick of feeling bad about this

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

it's called the "mile long club" :wiggle:

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

i hate to say it but i made a vid where i actually talk about the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LysiXf-DJU

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

i was on a podcast

https://twitter.com/3MA/status/1063528847499554817

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

well I'm trying this premiere thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqJbE1bvdgo

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

ok i said this weekend but probably a little later than that. midweek hopefully?

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

how dare you insinuate that i post on reddit

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

shameless plug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn6ZVpJLxs

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

please post the autonomous car video too

i accidentally broke it while making the loop video...

it'll still happen, just might be a while. gonna try and focus on getting episode 10 of franklin out by the end of the month

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Trains and street cars being superior and all, but would rural areas that are not a priority for installing that infrastructure, would they maybe benefit from ditching a bus schedule and moving to computer managed vehicle and route allocation? I don't know how it is done now, but busses in my hometown are incredibly inconvenient for those I have talked to (in part because the main hub doesn't really have a grocery store or other basic shops besides the occasional farmer's market).

nah, bring back friendly local interurbans

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

the thing that made interurbans great was the high speeds on extremely light infrastructure though

this'll be a video eventually

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

just wanna post this here

https://clips.twitch.tv/MagnificentWanderingRatThisIsSparta

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

the route 34 trolley in my backyard that you can sometimes hear in my videos runs in-traffic for 2 miles and then in a dedicated tunnel to center city for two miles

that's the nice thing about these kinds of systems is that you can mix and match dedicated right-of-way and in-traffic running where needed

that being said streetcars without any dedicated right-of-way are garbage

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Oz Fox posted:

was reading donoteat's thing on the hyperloop, and while it all made sense, it didnt go into detail why you couldn't link multiple pods together into a train, which could make the whole thing somewhat less useless

the problem is the high frequency of branches and merges -- if you could link multiple pods into a train you'd basically have to run the things on a fixed schedule, which is haram to elon

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

yeah like i said, china has great public transit

:wow:

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

i mean, streetcars have a significant advantage over buses simply due to the fact that they last longer. septa has been running their K-cars since 1980 and they're still going strong, while the bus fleet has been replaced 3 times since then. you can easily get 50 years out of a streetcar because the ride is smoother and there are fewer moving parts, while you *might* get 15 years out of a bus if you're lucky.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Agean90 posted:

the us exists in a dark age of transit, left in shadow by the era before it

https://twitter.com/Indy_Austin/status/1091777003446038528

aw man i wanna do an episode on this but i'll be damned if i can figure out how to research it

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

Don't think it's relevant to RFK, since RFK already has a Metro stop. Think the real brainstorm was extending the line down K St to the west and maybe to the north a bit to the east. Someone even drew up a plan for it to go all the way to Georgetown, which, would probably only take three hours or so lol

the plan was that from 9th street NW to washington circle on K street, the streetcar would be in a dedicated transitway which would be shared with local buses, thereby cutting down travel times significantly over the most congested portion of the route and speeding up the many buses which use K street.

being, of course, the most important and most effectual part of the project, which makes the rest of the streetcar worthwhile, it was not built.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

trains

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

post yer favorite trains

i love you guys

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

not a hot day for private passenger rail either

https://twitter.com/rjwile/status/1095412734844436480

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

i wish i was on a train rn

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

A Russian troll farm posted:

Let the midnight special shine a light on me

Edti: Once again I have seen dozens of replies and thought there was a new episode, but there is not.

there would be except I physically can't record b/c the landlord is doing unpermitted construction downstairs

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

GotLag posted:

Since this is apparently the thread for Trains And The People Who Love Them, I have a question.

I've seen 19th-century horse-drawn tram tracks, on which the points/switches are entirely static, and the path taken is determined by the horse pulling to one side or the other.

Have there been any powered trams/streetcars using a similar system of mechanical steering? As I understand it modern streetcars use radio controls to let the driver set switches on approach.

I believe that almost all streetcar switches are mechanical, never heard of a steerable trolley. Today there's usually a toggle in the cab somewhere to set the next switch, but in the early days you set the switch by carefully modulating the throttle.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Retarded Goatee posted:

Hey donoteat

when will you take down O'Toole for the antifada podcast

gonna put another bug in their ear about it, but probably after the next episode comes out

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

would have been out two weeks ago if my apartment was habitable from 9am-5pm, lol. as it is i've recorded all the footage and am finalizing the script, and i'll record the voiceover when there's a break in construction downstairs

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

premiering in about 45 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-r5ulpoQQ

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

every argument against rail improvements regarding "we can't do this because america is too spread out" or "we can't do this because the right-of-way is hemmed in by too many buildings" or whatever is complete and utter horseshit when applied abstractly. rail right-of-way is a specific problem with specific solutions

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

yes

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Corky Romanovsky posted:

What are the safety protocols/laws for dangerous goods rail? Would it be acceptable to build double decker two-way routes with cargo on the bottom and passenger on the top?

yeah I guess but a whole bunch of existing right-of-ways have room for four tracks or more so why bother

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

i'm sorry

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Laphroaig posted:

The Philadelphia map is totally wrong and missing several regional rail spurs that replaced streetcars, like service to Chestnut Hill East and West, Norristown, etc.

http://www.septa.org/maps/system/

So that does make me question some of the other maps presented, since its clearly intentionally leaving off infrastructure because otherwise the before/after wouldn't support the narrative. Regional Rail is a hell of a lot more rapid transit than the old street cars.

I dunno if you could say it "replaced" the trolley lines; both chestnut hill lines were put in before the 23 existed in its current form

We also lost a crapload of regional rail in that time -- the west chester line, the newtown line, service to allentown, bethlehem, reading, newark NJ, etc., all the PRSL lines out of camden broadway station, plus the vast majority of stops within the city limits when SEPTA/Conrail decided city residents didn't deserve regional rail anymore

re-drawing of a 1979 map from https://www.transitmap.net/septa-1980/

donoteat has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Apr 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

your 2nd-best option for I-76 would be to construct a massive park-and-ride on the norristown line with offramps from I-76 directly into the park-and-ride, and some billboards showing the time to drive into philly vs. the time to take the train in. throw in a few simple improvements to train speeds and bump up the train frequency and you got a good system

(the best option would be to ban cars, obviously)

those lines next to I-76 are the ex-Reading, ex-Conrail, current Norfolk Southern line to Reading. Those lines go on to Harrisburg and then Pittsburgh, so uh, all the freight that has to cross Pennsylvania goes there.