Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Meanwhile I've been playing for a week and haven't hit 50 yet because I've been too busy doing house decoration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
can hunters customize their bird friend?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

help I can't stop buying sheet musics and putting dumb songs on them

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

People who have been playing this at higher levels, how generous are they with these vouchers for the cosmetic stuff? I got a couple of makeup vouchers and a custom template voucher and I'm wondering if that's at all common or if I'm just getting spoiled with launch week goodies.

I'm level 42 fwiw

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

purple death ray posted:

People who have been playing this at higher levels, how generous are they with these vouchers for the cosmetic stuff? I got a couple of makeup vouchers and a custom template voucher and I'm wondering if that's at all common or if I'm just getting spoiled with launch week goodies.

I'm level 42 fwiw

you can craft hairstyle, dye and cosmetic vouchers at least with crafting, from what i've seen. the mat requirements are pretty high but it's an option that exists. maybe there's others you can craft also, I haven't looked extensively

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

purple death ray posted:

I'm level 42 fwiw

By endgame I only had 1-3 of each voucher, the dailies that unlock at level 50 have chests that reward voucher fragments.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So compared to Maplestory 1, is it good? Charming, enjoyable, so on?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

someone awful. posted:

you can craft hairstyle, dye and cosmetic vouchers at least with crafting, from what i've seen. the mat requirements are pretty high but it's an option that exists. maybe there's others you can craft also, I haven't looked extensively

the mat requirements aren't pretty high. they are insanely high

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I did a dungeon for a quest
I clicked 'Leave Party' at the end
The NPC did not like me, for he wanted me to talk to him only in the dungeon.

I did another dungeon for this quest.
To my dismay, there are two similarly named dungeons right next to each other, and quest dialogs refer to a third and fourth location inside these dungeons.

I did a third dungeon for that quest.
I forgot why and clicked 'Leave Party'.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Both guilds are filled, thats what i get for J4G'ing. How much can guild rosters expand when you unlock the higher levels?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
decently expand but it takes quite a long time of daily Check Ins. Overflow guild only started on launch day so it hasn't got much EXP yet, and main guild is only Level 2 (3 is the first expansion)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

buglord posted:

So compared to Maplestory 1, is it good? Charming, enjoyable, so on?

Very charming, the music and visuals create a very chill out and relax nature of it. The random (?) minigames that you get popups every now and again are really funny no matter how many times I run them because of the stupidity you can see. The classes are all really fun and fairly balanced for the most part (more balanced than say WoW right now)

Honestly I came in expecting very little little and its turned out into my most enjoyable MMO since FFXIV ARR.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Very charming, the music and visuals create a very chill out and relax nature of it. The random (?) minigames that you get popups every now and again are really funny no matter how many times I run them because of the stupidity you can see. The classes are all really fun and fairly balanced for the most part (more balanced than say WoW right now)

Honestly I came in expecting very little little and its turned out into my most enjoyable MMO since FFXIV ARR.

I got to see literally everyone, an entire game, get dumped on round 1 of the trivia game. Can't even remember what the question was. Coming from WoW and seeing what is basically a full raid fail to answer trivia questions is fuckin bizarre. I think I forgot what video games were.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

The trivia game is hilarious every time I've tried it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Always the best. I saw 2 dudes survive a round that killed about 90% of the group, then they both got the next one wrong.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love the Priest so much, the weapons are cute and it's surprisingly tough.

edit: How's the Assassin class? I could use a more physical kinda class for a change up. I tried Runeblade but it's feeling really...meh

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The quiz is fun, though I'm inordinately annoyed because one time I did it I was taken out in the first round because the question was wrong. It was something about Charles Darwin being the first person to come up with a theory of evolution, which is wrong; while Darwin came up with the idea of natural selection, evolution itself was not a new idea. Heck, Darwin got some of his ideas from contemporaries like Lamarck. Said ideas were mostly wrong, with Darwin being the first to really get on the right track, but the general idea of evolution long predates him, which is what the question actually asked about.

:words: and ranting aside, though, yeah, the little events are a great idea. It's hilarious how those things go sometimes, and they're usually pretty fun. Not bad EXP either.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, there's a lot of really poorly worded questions that leave the answer to be too vague or just outright wrong. I have encountered at least one question that was just plain wrong, as well as a bunch of unnecessarily confusing ones. The fact that there are trick questions that play on very semantic specifics and then also non-trick questions that are semantically wrong makes it worse - you never know which answer they're going to pick.

They had to make it hard somehow though, I guess.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i had one question ask if charizard was the final evolution of bulbasaur

the next was if south korea won some sort of championship game in the 1980s

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Splash Attack posted:

i had one question ask if charizard was the final evolution of bulbasaur

the next was if south korea won some sort of championship game in the 1980s

Are the questions all just translated, or are they localized? That championship game makes me thing translation, which is likely where the issues are coming in. Proper localization of something like this should use local references and things that are likely to be in the school curriculum for that area.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I made the mistake of going into the Katvan level 50 dungeon solo. Sweet Jesus, the trees! :stonk:

I have no idea how to solo that thing, at least on an Archer. The trees ate me alive.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sundae posted:

I made the mistake of going into the Katvan level 50 dungeon solo. Sweet Jesus, the trees! :stonk:

I have no idea how to solo that thing, at least on an Archer. The trees ate me alive.

You chug potions like a madman, but really you're supposed to bring friends.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

a cat on an apple posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of really poorly worded questions that leave the answer to be too vague or just outright wrong. I have encountered at least one question that was just plain wrong, as well as a bunch of unnecessarily confusing ones. The fact that there are trick questions that play on very semantic specifics and then also non-trick questions that are semantically wrong makes it worse - you never know which answer they're going to pick.

They had to make it hard somehow though, I guess.

Trick questions are one thing; those I'm all for. Poorly-worded ones suck, though, and the questions being outright wrong is just bad; at that point it stops being a trivia quiz and is down to eitehr luck or knowing the answers for this quiz specifically, rather than the actual facts behind it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

My long term goal is to save up for a plot of land in Evansville and decorate it with custom blocks that have Rich Evans pics.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, when all else fails it IS a 50/50 shot.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

super sweet best pal posted:

My long term goal is to save up for a plot of land in Evansville and decorate it with custom blocks that have Rich Evans pics.

waiting to see someone recreate Mr. Plinketts house but i don't think Maplestory 2 can handle the amount of bottle props necessary

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

someone awful. posted:

help I can't stop buying sheet musics and putting dumb songs on them

I've only just started playing but this is my primary motive for levelling so I can get more currency to make more music sheets :v:

Check out Rinnji's Concert Hall house on the leaderboards if you haven''t already. Lots of people playing there tonight.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the idea of buying a plot of land sounds cool as hell but of course i doubt i'd be dedicated enough to be able to manage affording that. being able to grab some weird little plot off in the corner of the world in an aesthetically nice place would be aces, though.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
So how does making custom music sheets work in this game?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

The quiz is fun, though I'm inordinately annoyed because one time I did it I was taken out in the first round because the question was wrong. It was something about Charles Darwin being the first person to come up with a theory of evolution, which is wrong; while Darwin came up with the idea of natural selection, evolution itself was not a new idea. Heck, Darwin got some of his ideas from contemporaries like Lamarck. Said ideas were mostly wrong, with Darwin being the first to really get on the right track, but the general idea of evolution long predates him, which is what the question actually asked about.

:words: and ranting aside, though, yeah, the little events are a great idea. It's hilarious how those things go sometimes, and they're usually pretty fun. Not bad EXP either.

I had one that was "Bumblebee is the leader of the autobots" and I got dumped for going to O and I'm still mad about it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

There's one about whether or not a boss is named Stump. The answer is no, the boss' name is Stumpy.

And then on the flipside there's a question about the origin of the German Bauhaus

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Ayo can I get my NA West guild into the OP? it's called <idgi> and anyone can join if they want to, just yell at me here or on discord or somewhere so I know you're not some random strange person

Sure everyone else is on east, but if you don't feel like waiting for the guild cap to go up and aren't established there yet it's an option. :shrug:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I got the question, "Fish and chips is a popular working-class dish in the USA". The answer was, "False, it's popular in Britain" Do you not eat seafood in the States?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
There are some traps in the cash shop

All the items in the cash shop only apply to one character, but many can be transferred between characters via the bank. Emotes can't, which is a real shame as the emote package is 39 USD. Not cheap!

During character creation, you have the choice to clothe your character. Most options are cash shop clothes, which are free during character creation, but the final option is an outfit (cosmetic clothes) identical to class armour you'll collect around level 25. Of course you can pick the armour if you like, it's an outfit so it can be used to cover up other armour you're wearing, but the other clothes can be worth up to 12 USD in the cash shop later on. This also means a lot of the stuff in the cash shop is just starter clothes! Armour earned ingame can be turned into outfits, but I'm not sure how

Some items in the cash shop appear to be awarded for free during the storyline or by leveling up. I'm looking at the Heavenbound Hog, the Flying Balloon and the Thunder Earrings. Some of the instruments in the "Arlano Classic" series have an identical look to instruments you can get for free, but I don't know if they sound different. e: The Heavenbound Hog is temporary

Not all mounts are the same, and ground mounts seem pretty bad. Don't buy ground mounts from the cash shop imo. Air mounts are just as fast (though I've not seen many, I might be wrong!), and ground mounts require an animation to activate which can be interrupted by monster and player attacks. Air mounts activate immediately upon pressing the hotkey. Air mounts also make moving around PVP areas far easier

The faster air mounts in the cash shop cost 13.90 USD. You can get one just as fast by buying the 5 USD Maple Milestone pack when you get ten hours of playtime on a character. The offer only lasts for twenty-four hours, but if you missed it, the items in it can be transferred between characters, so just play a different character for a while. Included in the pack are 500 Red Merets which can be spent on most cash shop items. I don't think they can be combined with the regular cash shop currency

Buying a block in the house furnishing tool only gives you one of that block to use. They're only ten to fifty cents each, but that'll add up. The furnishing packages are at a discount, but only contain one of each block, all the blocks are available separately, and some of the blocks inside are free. Also, the packages are only available for Blue Merets when the blocks can be bought individually with Red Merets

I think the best items in the cash shop are the character slots, nameplates, chat bubbles and the auto-fishing vouchers (you get some fishing vouchers ingame, but not enough). It's really hard to trust the cash shop - when I buy something with real money I expect it not to be a trick. I don't really want to buy anything because I don't know how many items are traps I don't know of yet

I don't have experience with the premium subscription or anything like haircuts or cosmetics, which I understand you can earn vouchers for ingame?

bandaid.friend fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 17, 2018

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

bandaid.friend posted:

I got the question, "Fish and chips is a popular working-class dish in the USA". The answer was, "False, it's popular in Britain" Do you not eat seafood in the States?

We don’t call them chips ya dingus.

My favorite one so far was asking about John Cage’s 4’33 and how it was structured, a question so obscure I can’t even remember what it was, and only 3 people survived round one, then the next was “Nexon publishes Maplestory 2”

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

someone awful. posted:

Ayo can I get my NA West guild into the OP? it's called <idgi> and anyone can join if they want to, just yell at me here or on discord or somewhere so I know you're not some random strange person

Sure everyone else is on east, but if you don't feel like waiting for the guild cap to go up and aren't established there yet it's an option. :shrug:

Sure thing, I'll add it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

I love the Priest so much, the weapons are cute and it's surprisingly tough.

edit: How's the Assassin class? I could use a more physical kinda class for a change up. I tried Runeblade but it's feeling really...meh

Assassin is a ranged murderhous, apparently its the highest dps in game right now

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

bandaid.friend posted:

Some items in the cash shop appear to be awarded for free during the storyline or by leveling up. I'm looking at the Heavenbound Hog, the Flying Balloon and the Thunder Earrings. Some of the instruments in the "Arlano Classic" series have an identical look to instruments you can get for free, but I don't know if they sound different

Please note that some of these (at least the hog for sure) will expire at some time and become unusable. You can see if they're a time limited item from its tooltip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Is there any other way to get purple stuff than from dungeon rewards?