Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Big Mad Drongo posted:

maybe you'll get the randart ring powering it... :unsmigghh:

That sounds dangerously close to fun. Watch yourself, Drongo. That type of thinking is discouraged in mainline.

EDIT: What brand do people think is the best? I've got an electric triple sword but considering rolling the dice on it to try and get something like Holy or Vampiric (is speed even possible off a branding scroll?).

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Holy is best in extended, Antimagic is best on a fast weapon, Freezing is best otherwise. Vampiric isn't as good when the number of living enemied falls off.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

- Elec/Pain/Distortion (and Venom's poison) deal flat damage independent of their weapon's base damage, so they're a little better on fast weapons.

- Flame/Freeze/Vorpal/Holy deal a % bonus based on the weapon's base damage, so they're a little better on big weapons. Vorpal deals a smaller % but works on every dude in the game. Holy deals a larger % but only works on evil dudes.

- Drain does a lot of things but is useless if target dude has any rN at all:

quote:

When used on monsters, has 1/2 chance of doing an additional (dam/4 + 3) damage (on average) and applying a debuff that reduces HD and is stackable, refreshable, and lasts 20-30 turns. Checks rN and only works against natural enemies. Disliked by good gods. For effect on players, see {drain}.
This debuff lowers: spell damage, accuracy, spellpower, and many other things related to HD. This debuff does not lower: monster max hp, your exp gain, or your piety gain.

- Speed reduces min delay and base damage, so it's better on big weapons. It's also not possible from Brand Weapon, assuming whatever you're playing matches trunk. You can't get Holy, Pain or Distortion either.

quote:

Brands melee weapons to: 19.0% flaming, 19.0% freezing, 15.8% vorpal, 12.7% venom, 9.49% drain, 9.49% electrocution, 7.59% protection, 5.06% vampiricism, 1.90% chaos. Ranged weapons: 27.5% flaming, 27.5% freezing, 19.2% venom, 19.2% vorpal, 4.2% electrocution, 2.5% chaos. Reroll if same as current brand or disliked by your god.

- Vamp/Protection/Antimagic do not deal bonus damage, but Antimagic's debuff duration partly depends on damage dealt so a big weapon will antimagic harder.

- Chaos does All The Things but is a little better in extended because demons/undead can't be berserked.

- Venom/Drain/Pain/Vamp are largely useless in extended, and Protection is largely useless.

There's too many interconnected parts to say which brand is best, but a well trained well enchanted triple sword will kill anything regardless of brand. Most of my games I land on flame/freeze/elec and run with it.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 20, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

wait a minute, scratch everything, the best brand is Dragon Form

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I think shaft traps have become the greatest killer to early characters for me. Without fail I will encounter them and get dropped a few floors below right into a mob of monsters.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.27-a0-749-g4f19927427 (webtiles) character file.

Game seed: 13467574095374044750

319708 SaturedFat the Phalangite (level 20, -59/162 HPs)
Began as a Demonspawn Fighter on Mar 23, 2021.
Was the Champion of Qazlal.
Succumbed to a green very ugly thing's poison
... on level 1 of the Depths.
The game lasted 02:25:06 (56151 turns).

SaturedFat the Phalangite (Demonspawn Fighter) Turns: 56151, Time: 02:25:07

How much poison damage can occur per turn? Usually it's like 1 damager per turn or something. I'm struggling to figure out what happen to me. I got teled into green very ugly things with ~30 hp and blinked away and instantly died of poison. I've never seen poison deal this much damage.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I thought that said "... on level 1 of the Dungeon." and let out a low whistle.

More practically you probably got hit by something like a crossbow bolt right before the poison ticked and it logged it slightly incorrectly. Because poison obviously didn't do 60dmg/tick.

edit: Non-buggy possibilities: You had spider form up and some other sort of -rPois? You had dramatically reduced movement speed so like 80aut passed in a single step?
To answer your question, I've seen poison tick for 5+ dmg a turn easy, but 60 is another ballpark entirely.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 24, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Gooncrawl feature requests:

1. buff regen amulet, it's a joke compared to the permabuff spell
2. no apples in the vending machine food shops please

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

bees x1000 posted:

Let the Gozag players eat cake! (After they've paid for the shop.)

I have literally never bought a thing from a food shop once in my entire time playing this game. At least the abandoned shop is thematically interesting. Similarly, I got excited when I entered a dungeon floor and was informed of a bazaar portal and immediately burned a Map scroll to find it only for it to POOF away as a mimic. Boy was I mad.

I wish bazaars had a chance to appear in Pan. And that troves were more common because God knows they're usually a pain to get into and most of the time I die before having the payment anyway.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 25, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Then make them a Gozag-only option. On any other character they're less helpful than an abandoned shop.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

buff troll regen, regen amulet, regen spell, the vaguely cannibalistic practice of mister underbridge wearing a set of troll leather armor

basically create an even easier version of minotaur of trog, let new people feel awesome by making it to lair in their first 15 games

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Not sure if this is a bug or not but as an Abomination Archeologist I got Lear's in my crate and I can't wear it probably due to a racial restriction. My understanding though is that the crate shouldn't be giving you stuff that you can't actually use, unless I'm mistaken.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, it shouldn't, so that's either a bug in the crate generation or an oversight in a usability flag somewhere.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FulsomFrank posted:

Not sure if this is a bug or not but as an Abomination Archeologist I got Lear's in my crate and I can't wear it probably due to a racial restriction. My understanding though is that the crate shouldn't be giving you stuff that you can't actually use, unless I'm mistaken.

I could have sworn I was able to wear Lear's as an Abomination, it just gave less armour based on how many auxiliary slots I had for it to use up.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Just occurred to me that maybe I couldn't use it because maybe it wanted me to take off each piece of armour I already had on first before (W)earing it? If so, that's on me but I wish it would give me a message saying what to do versus just not working like every other piece?

Also: lol

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 1, 2021

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Fukken RIP to my best run ever (not counting ones where I actually got out with just 3 or something). 7 runes (Snake, Swamp, Vault, and all four branches of Hell). I'd never previously done a single branch of Hell.

Boring MiFi with a very charmed life in terms of the randarts I got. Full resists without sacrificing anything really. Died in Tomb 2 after taking the one-way stair and getting wrecked by a bunch of mummies. Should've just teleported out from the start. Also should not have been wearing something with a Harm effect in Tomb, that was dumb. Oof.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/zantega/morgue-zantega-20210402-214207.txt

Fake Edit: You will doubtlessly see lots of weird/bad decisions if you look over that morgue file. Has been a long time since I played, still getting used to things. I kind of feel like it's easier than it was 3-4 years ago when I last played? Not having to eat is crazy.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

team overhead smash posted:

The advice is no longer needed, managed to get my first 15 rune with my mighty Octopode Transmuter. I've been trying to get that rolling off and on for a few years, so glad it finally worked. I think the big chance was going Gozag in the early game, so that if I survived to the mid-game I was in a very strong position with a full set of nice rings which also helped me get my higher level transmutations online early when they're most needed. after I got statue form it didn't quite get into "press tab to win" territory, but it got close.

https://pastebin.com/FiRzSjam

Now that I've got a 15 runner I can delete Crawl and never play it again. Except I didn't clear a Zigg.... hmmm, maybe one more go.

Well, got a 15 rune win AND cleared 3 ziggs so I think I might be done. Went with Octopoda Transmuter again because they’re the best.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

OpTm are cool but OpTm^Chei are the best.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

SirSamVimes posted:

OpTm are cool but OpTm^Chei are the best.

I like Chei but I feel like if I’m not going around casting level 9 spells in Crystal plate armour then I’m not getting the most out of him. Also when zigging I feel you need Makhleb’s regen to survive mass torments/dispel undead/hell fires and Chei is very punishing if you make a misstep.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah but the way that uc/transformations scale with base stats + cheistats is disgusting (unless they changed that since I stopped playing)

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah but the way that uc/transformations scale with base stats + cheistats is disgusting (unless they changed that since I stopped playing)

Yes, this has been changed. The forms now have static base damage independent of stats.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Posting a status update on Gooncrawl:

It's been about four months since my last update and I've got gently caress all to show for it other than another broken feature branch (for Pakellas). Since this keeps happening, I decided today to just call Gooncrawl v2.0 complete, and I tagged and released it as is. The downloads are the same ones from October I made and the same as the version on the WebTiles servers, so you shouldn't need to download it again if you are already using one of those.

I'm also going to stop actively developing Gooncrawl, since I just keep losing interest in development. It's probably a symptom of not really playing Crawl itself for the past 2-3 years (aside from testing stuff for development); I was already a bit worn out on the game when I started developing Gooncrawl and it hasn't really changed since. It's been fun to make and I hope you all enjoyed (and still enjoy) it!

If anyone wants to take over active development, feel free to fork the Github and I can help reach out to the server operators to point their build targets at your URLs instead. Otherwise, I'm removing the current collaborators (since it's on my personal Github account and not a share) just to make sure nothing gets changed to break the fork by accident. I'll still lurk around the thread, but otherwise I probably won't get back into doing dev stuff for Crawl until I feel like playing it again in the first place.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Cheers to all your endeavors to date and whatever future endeavors enjoyable to you await.

Just as Circus came to sleep whose dreams were harvested down the line, so too surely shall Goon as the ebb and flow of value shall continue as Trunk continues to boil and bubble---however inscrutably at times.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Floodkiller posted:

Posting a status update on Gooncrawl:

It's been about four months since my last update and I've got gently caress all to show for it other than another broken feature branch (for Pakellas). Since this keeps happening, I decided today to just call Gooncrawl v2.0 complete, and I tagged and released it as is. The downloads are the same ones from October I made and the same as the version on the WebTiles servers, so you shouldn't need to download it again if you are already using one of those.

I'm also going to stop actively developing Gooncrawl, since I just keep losing interest in development. It's probably a symptom of not really playing Crawl itself for the past 2-3 years (aside from testing stuff for development); I was already a bit worn out on the game when I started developing Gooncrawl and it hasn't really changed since. It's been fun to make and I hope you all enjoyed (and still enjoy) it!

If anyone wants to take over active development, feel free to fork the Github and I can help reach out to the server operators to point their build targets at your URLs instead. Otherwise, I'm removing the current collaborators (since it's on my personal Github account and not a share) just to make sure nothing gets changed to break the fork by accident. I'll still lurk around the thread, but otherwise I probably won't get back into doing dev stuff for Crawl until I feel like playing it again in the first place.
Thank you for all the work you've put in! GoonCrawl is already a fully-realized game, and as happy as I would have been to see more updates, this is something I'll be coming back to every so often for a long while.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Gooncrawl is great, thanks for your efforts :)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gooncrawl is where purple can be eaten, therefore gooncrawl is where I'll go when I feel the crawling urge.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Sincere thanks for the effort to see this little communities' vision through

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cheers for all the work, FK.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Just got back into crawl after being off since like .20 and 21. Loving gooncrawl

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Kimchi has also apparently livened back up recently, Automatons and such~

https://github.com/kimjoy2002/crawl/releases

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

thanks for all the work on gooncrawl, it definitely sustained me for a good long time and brings me joy to know i can always eat purple somewhere

i've been playing crawl kimchi some, it's pretty fun and has a good energy. it has a lot of unique and interesting gods (including pakellas!), and also hive as a timed portal if you're a person who misses getting stung to death by bees

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ExiledTinkerer posted:

yeah i've posted about kimchi before but it's definitely one to keep an eye on. just a bunch of weird and cool stuff thrown into it in general

also thanks for all the work on gooncrawl, fk

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

feels like crawl is entering a period similar to the golden age of angband where the forks proliferate wildly and see more new players than the main branch

ComPosChengCrawl when

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Realized I forgot to add Kimchi links to the OP, this reminded me to do so.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You may also want to edit the second post to make it clear that 2.0 is complete and won't be getting any more additions (unless someone forks it again!)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

You may also want to edit the second post to make it clear that 2.0 is complete and won't be getting any more additions (unless someone forks it again!)

Good call, done.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

drat I forgot there were two distinct necromancer gods in crawl and I picked the wrong one first. Well at least Kiku has boosted my Control Undead vs all the Yred punishments

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Coming soon to mainline Crawl: Removal of Yredelemnu because Kiku exists already.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

I never really played with Makleb either and wow that's sort of a really strong option isn't it. Summon some high tier demons any time I have an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

People always assume Makhleb's only good on races with no (or poor) health regen, but they're also extremely solid on basically just about any character who has decent invocations and wants the Summoning and Conjurations of a hybrid without having to actually be a hybrid (and the regen-on-kill is a pseudo-Regenerate, too.)

Honestly, I'd almost describe Makhleb as either "Okawaru for races with good Invocations" or "Trog but you still get some magic."