Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Also note that stabbers, like everyone else, need a backup plan for when their main strategy doesn't work(ex. fighting a high MR sInv monster).

So you want an alternate melee weapon that does more damage than a dagger, amd/or damaging spells/evocables and the skill to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Throwing is a good extra for most melee characters, especially when you have a god who'll supply ammo. I wouldn't call it a backup plan exactly, but it's good to be able to start damaging things before they're right in your face.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Ozoarmor would also be handy to have as as status line again. Signed, your local IE addict.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's terrible and one of many reasons why the first thing I do in a new server is copy my rcfile over.

I'm sure someone out there legitimately likes playing crawl with mouse control and doesn't have Bad Things happen if they absentmindedly click to get rid of chat or whatever, but it should be opt-in, not opt-out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Nope. Use all the 20% permabuffs your heart desires.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
This past week I saw someone awful's game crash after they killed a mummy priest/guardian, so you might be on to something there. Immersive death curses that crash your game. :spooky:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

GeneX posted:

The obvious response of "just don't let players get boots of running via branding, brand armor sounds fun though, might be neat for people who desperately need rpois or the like" seems to have missed them entirely

it's the perfect example of them zeroing in on min-maxing competitive play and not thinking for even a second about the benefits of a thing before discarding it
Seriously. I wonder if they'd use the same logic to argue against brand weapon if it was just being proposed now. (Especially since I'm pretty sure BW can't give you antimagic, which is something non-Trog chars would really want from it if you could get it)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

Elf 3 is a death trap but it is a very lucrative death trap.
Elf 3 really isn't as bad as people make it out to be as long as you have the MR to avoid being banished. I do it before V1-4 sometimes depending on my mood and resist set.

Hang out near the vault entry and slowly lure out as much as you can, and it's pretty safe. The big problems only happen if you're in a situation where you're facing a huge glob of high-tier elves instead of just 1-3 at a time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Bogart posted:

We have them. They’re orange. :v:
We also have some that are down-only and can even send you down a few extra floors at random. Try them today!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
They got renamed by some fun hater weapons nerd who was all "but they're not even physically viable as a weapon!", but got changed back to double/triple swords in a rare instance of fun winning in trunk.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Permashatter. Hope you didn't like walls existing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Oka's only contributions here were the barding and Eos. :shepface:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

cheetah7071 posted:

Tomb is just repeatedly hitting >< until your fingers fall off
Hey, that's not true.

You have to hit 5 a bunch of times in between, too. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Floodkiller posted:

Let me know if this fixes it when servers rebuild.
I got to the rune on A3 after ~1000 turns in abyss total, so I think it's fixed. :toot:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
code:
13850234 Haifisch the Bringer of Light (level 27, 292/292 (298) HPs)
             Began as a Naga Archaeologist on Apr 10, 2019.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Apr 12, 2019!

The game lasted 09:05:02 (116048 turns).

Haifisch the Bringer of Light (NaAc)              Turns: 116048, Time: 09:05:03

HP:   292/292 (298) AC: 52    Str: 22    XL:     27
MP:   34/34         EV: 23    Int: 16    God:    the Shining One [******]
Gold: 7059          SH: 28    Dex: 26    Spells: 19/34 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   b - +10 morningstar of Honour {freeze, +Fly rF- Stlth+}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   e - +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   P - +8 chain mail {rF+}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   j - -2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   X - +2 cloak of Elyvilon's Reproof {rPois rF+ Regen+ Str+3}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   D - +0 pair of gloves of the Sunfish {rN+ MR+ Dex+3 Stlth+}
rMut     +                      N - +4 naga barding {rC+}
MR       +++++                  G - brooch of Shielding {Reflect SH+9}
Stlth    +.........             Q - ring of the Swan {+Fly Dex+7}
HPRegen  0.98/turn              S - +4 ring of protection
MPRegen  0.24/turn

@: flying, very slightly contaminated, glowing, deflect missiles, very slow
A: large, see invisible, deformed body, mutation resistance 1, poison
resistance, slowness 2, slow metabolism 1, spit poison 2, constrict 1, AC +9
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian,
icy, bone, abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark
a: Breathe Poison Gas, Release Permanent Buffs, Divine Shield, Cleansing Flame,
Summon Divine Warrior, Renounce Religion, Stop Flying
This naga got hilarously out of control after Lair 1 and never stopped.

Somehow it never found better rings than +4AC/+4EV/that Dex+7 flight ring.

Also Jorgrun got very, very lost:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

I like the idea of Nemelex as the King of Games,
Nemelex roars: It's time to d-d-d-d-d-d-duel!

The examples do sound janky, although current Nem is already tediously janky, so it might not be any worse.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's the cool and good start for people who love using unrands but never get them to spawn on a character they'd matter with.

It helps if you pick a race with decent across the board apts so you're not risking the manual & what's in the box being an uphill battle for you. Also so you can roll with whatever decent weapon floorgod throws at you, if your box doesn't have a weapon in it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
All int, all the way. It improves basically everything about your spells. You just need enough str/dex to avoid stat zero from the few things that lower stats, and that doesn't take very much - most casters are fine with whatever str/dex they start with.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Immolating Tomb 3 is a bold strategy, I have to admit. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

baby delivery truck posted:

FR: a dungeon crawling boy band named after various wizards. They travel in a pack and sing for attention when they're not casting their signature spells. They also worship usk
At least one of them has to have Song of Slaying. I don't care that it wouldn't make sense on a monster.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

Ye draw out yer weapon's spirit!!!
Tha helpless gold'n shark fails ta defend itself!
Ye cut tha gold'n shark inta ribbons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ye freeze tha gold'n shark!!!
Ye annihilate tha gold'n shark!!!
Makhleb roars: ANNIHILATED!
Assassinboots+exec axe=fun.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
In general, most charms that didn't give contam are permabuffs(so stuff like regen, battlesphere, ozoarmor, and rmsl, but not stuff like haste), and apparently transmutations are permabuffs now too.

All of them have status lines too, so look for that after casting something if you're not sure.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Should be an unrand that occasionally spawns a unique hostile wizard as long as you wear it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The Shield of Resistance is an unrand with a turtle shell paperdoll tile, not to be confused with ordinary shields that happen to have the resistance brand.

learndb posted:

shield of resistance
Either the unrandart +5 (+2 in 0.15) shield that gives rF+, rC+ and MR+, or an ordinary shield (or buckler or large shield) with the resistance (rF+ rC+) brand.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

Crabawaru roars: ANNIHILATED!
Somethin' appears at yer feet!!!
Crabawaru grants ye armour!!!
_Yer Hexes skill increases ta level 4!!!
An animal skin {god gift}!
Okawaru is trying his hardest, now and forever.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
He's not, sadly.

Although I'm not really sure how he'd work now that there aren't any rods except the lightning one.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Aumanor posted:

Put rods back in the game?
This would be good and I'd be for it.

Also, bring back stackable elemental evokers and don't have all the fire lamps in the world lose their charge because I fired one off.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

Unpopular opinion, the lungs of Zot 5 should have a runed door. If the Hall of Blades does, why doesn't the most important single area in the entire game?
It doesn't matter much when permanent tele traps have half the lungs teleporting to the rest of the level anyway. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And that's a Fo, so they wouldn't have been able to tele there anyway. :v: (Digging would work if there wasn't an upstair there, at least)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Araganzar posted:

While we are on Charms, why is Haste level 9 in Gooncrawl where stacking wands of haste are a thing? It's not even a permabuff and there's a strong mechanic (glow) to prevent abuse. I can't imagine finding room in the xp budget to buy an L9 charm when the only stop on the charm train from 3 to 9 is Deflect Missile at level 6. By the time you can even think about casting this you have a wand of haste and you've found a billion recharge scrolls. Has anyone used this spell?
I think it's supposed to be a thematic thing, since each spell school has a L9 spell now(afaik).

Still kind of dumb since you're unlikely to get it online unless you're doing extended, and extended chars are likely to come across a hastewand at some point.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's almost like the easiest lever to balance the amount of haste a given character gets is adjusting the number of speed potions that drop, maybe if we removed the other sources of haste that either cost a ton of XP but are permanent or are very swingy we could think about that more clearly. :ssh:
If you want to play something hyper-tuned so only 3 people actually find it fun(in the sense that the difficulty is curated specifically for their playstyles and nobody else's), play Trunk.

Gooncrawl is great because it doesn't mindlessly take away tools because it's easier to 'balance' that way(and flat-out doesn't give a gently caress about balance when fun/flavor overrules it, like in returning Ogre M/F apt to +3 or in giving us the hilariously overpowered FD race).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Beamed posted:

What..what does that add
Pain, suffering, increasing pressure to only play crawl as a weird speedrun game since that's how most of the grognards on Tavern play it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Cardiovorax posted:

Believe me, I know. I didn't used to post because Crawl was too bad to actually play, but I've been following the threads on and off and it was really just sad to watch. You could see people get more disillusioned with every page.
I remember the time a trunk dev came to post here(dpeg iirc) and threw a huge shitfit because people would actually push back against his dumb ideas instead of kissing his rear end.

No surprise trunk's turned out like it did when its dev team is like that.

Jedi425 posted:

As a lurker who plays off and on, I assume ‘trunk’ is regular old normal DCSS? Does gooncrawl integrate some of the good QOL features of regular? I do like that rations now just stack in regular DCSS, but I miss eating purple chunks.
Trunk is regular dcss(specifically the unstable version where stuff can be changed, compared to the stable core releases). Gooncrawl does take the rare good ideas from trunk, like stacking rations. I think the "you get a spell library instead of having to haul books around" thing was originally from trunk too?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Araganzar posted:

Early 3 stack of acquirement, surely this will change my game!

pre:
_i - 3 scrolls labeled YNOACS SERIRE
 As you read the scroll labeled YNOACS SERIRE, it crumbles to dust.
 This is a scroll of acquirement!
 [a] Weapon [b] Armour   [c] Jewellery [d] Book
 [e] Staff  [f] Evocable               [h] Gold
_Something appears at your feet!
_r - a glowing arbalest
 As you read the scroll of acquirement, it crumbles to dust.
_t - a runed halberd
 As you read the scroll of acquirement, it crumbles to dust.
_i - a glowing fustibalus
I'm 100% Axes..... :negative:
This is what happens when you ignore the golden rule of barmor. :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'd lean towards keeping Harm on if you're a blaster caster. Magic Regen does help keep you going through long fights, but so does killing poo poo faster. Doubly so if you're worshipping Veh, as 99% of blaster casters should.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It really did used to be in the game, but was removed because ???.

?rcurse is so plentiful that I'm not sure what it's 'balancing' other than unlucky early game wields/wears, anyway. (And in that case the balance is that you have one fewer enchant scroll for better weapons/armor)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

redneck nazgul posted:

I don't know about the coding feasibility of "new brands" or "cursed things work like this", but I feel like there's enough design space to come up with "potentially useful but deadly enough that you don't want to use it unless you're feeling lucky" solutions. I view it like eating the purple: Not optimal by any stretch of the means, but can pay off in a gamble. If it's not worth it from the developer standpoint, so be it.

I'd much rather gamble on "okay, this +3 dagger has a non-zero chance to explode on me if I hit something with it, let's see if I can find remove curse before it kills me" as opposed to "oops, I wield-ID'd a -3 short sword, time to flail ineffectively until I find remove curse".
At that point you might as well remove curses as a concept entirely(outside of Ash worship I guess), because nobody would bother with intentionally wielding a "slightly stronger than normal but definitely going to get you killed at some point" weapon. Which I'd honestly be fine with, since they really don't matter past Temple or so.

PMush Perfect posted:

I agree that, like, +0 or -1 cursed with a *Thing would be "more interesting" without being especially harder. Like a temporary malmutate but easier to remove and totally optional to take on. And hell, even then, if I found a cursed +0 Broad Axe on D1 with *Rage, I'd probably be tempted to still use it. You know, an actually interesting decision.
This doesn't sound much better, just slightly less annoying than having a -4 cursed weapon welded to you until you find remove curse and switch to a not-going-to-get-you-killed weapon. It's More Interesting, but not a fun kind of More Interesting.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"OK, I'm on a streak of 4 going on 5, my next race should be something good."

quote:

1 Haifisch the Ducker (level 1, -4/15 HPs)
Began as a Merfolk Archaeologist on Apr 24, 2019.
Slain by a hobgoblin (5 damage)
... on level 1 of the Dungeon.
The game lasted 00:00:28 (54 turns).

I ran away from one hobgoblin into a second hobgoblin. :saddowns:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Einwand posted:

I can't say I've ever noticed my MP getting drained while using repel or deflect missiles, just the initial MP cost.
You'll see a "your power is drained sustaining your protection from missiles"(or something like that) message when it happens. It's not super noticable otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I got the Staff of Wucad Mu from that once. Not sure what else you could get from it.