Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

How come I don't see anyone else on x-crawl playing gooncrawl? Is everyone compiling their own and playing offline? Is there another server I'm not aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I've been running a HEAM^Oka that's been such an absolute grind. Not a single bow upgrade until I met Nessos in Orc and took his longbow. I finished Lair, Orc and down to first level of depths, and have found one single spellbook (it had confuse! hooray) Not a single bow gift from Oka, which isn't as big a deal now that I have the longbow. No wearable randart armor or jewelry.

Lair was very painful. Anything even slightly threatening (yaks and above, basically) I had to pull away individually and confuse, then spend like 30 turns needling them with a +0 shortbow.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Infinite Monkeys posted:

How do I play gooncrawl online? I went to the thread here, but neither of the linked servers seem to have a gooncrawl option.

X-crawl has gooncrawl, it's in the op

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

Stabbers are the worst? How do you get your stealth high enough to reliably get your stab on mid game? I think maybe I don't get my hexes high enough fast enough for the spriggen enchanter.

I've noticed that out of the two potions of mutation I've dranken in my runs since playing goon crawl they've both given me degeneration. So worry about that I suppose.

That's kinda funny, I actually was gonna suggest SpEn as the easiest and most stylish 3-rune. I had a super easy time with them in the early and mid game. basically just pump hexes so ensorc has no fail chance and high power, then do the same for confuse. Those two spells alone will win 99% of fights in the entire game, at least up until orbs of fire. The power just has to be high enough to defeat their MR. fights mostly boil down to spamming e.h. until it sticks, then one-shotting the bad guy with your dagger. If they're scary enough that they could take a bunch of your life in one turn, kite them with your superior speed and spam confuse instead. run from anything even remotely threatening, because you can outrun them. I can't stress enough how powerful the combo of confuse+being fast is. don't ever try to stab without spell backup, unless you're sure you'll be able to stick an e.h./confuse when they wake up. Hope to find invisibility, which will completely trivialize anything not +SeeInvis. You'll eventually need a gameplan for orbs of fire, as they're one of the only non-postgame enemies completely immune to hexes and strong enough to stand up to your distracted stabs. THEY WILL KILL YOU. So start thinking about how to deal with them before heading into zot. That means high level direct damage spells, summons, or a non-dagger weapon and every buff spell possible, plus hopefully okawaru's buffs too. I'm not sure if trying to branch into a melee brawler is very feasible without Oka. Maybe someone else could chime in on that.

I'm stressing the OoF thing because I've died to them after tearing up the entire game with invis. In my one SpEn win I actually just tried to sneak past them, which "worked", but only barely. Probably not recommended outside of style points and flavor.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Trying to sneak through Zot:5 is a bad idea since it can easily fall apart and get you killed. Even moreso now with the trap change, though I guess that doesn't apply to gooncrawl.

Speaking of which, its really cool that you guys made scoring for gooncrawl. I'll definitely give it a try now once I feel the Crawl itch again.

Yeah, it was a mess. all the random teles turn it into a total crapshoot you'll definitely eventually lose. I just got lucky that time :v:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The game is punishing you for not worshiping Kiku, the One True God. The crashes are death curses

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I guess I've never thought about it - is rCorr very common among enemies seen in a typical 3-runer? Corrosion seems like an obvious effect for high level poison spells.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

unrelated to tom, but I'm playing a naga wiz and just learned you can get your poison breath bumped to 2 from a mut potion, and it's basically green draconian's on-demand poison cloud. this is amazing at D:6 in combination with conjure flame

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Just got nightstalker 2 on my Ds skald at xl 4, and found a very early dith altar. Currently pumping axes. What do you guys think? I'm not sure if nightstalker and dith actually have strong synergy, or if they're mostly accomplishing similar things in different ways.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I guess I'll just drop the few levels I put into axes and switch to long blades. I found a falchion, and it has cross training with sbl so I won't even need to waste more points to get some stabbing going.

Ds just have such meh apts that I'm always feeling starved for skills, and something like this exacerbates it when I'm relatively weakest compared to the dungeon.

E: there's nightstalker three at xl7 :toot:

e2
the +6 scimitar of Roon (weapon) {slice, Str+4 Stlth+}
+2 great sword of freezing

I have chosen well

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 12, 2019

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Araganzar posted:

Dex runs into a serious cap at 24 and both Dex and Str give diminishing returns at high levels. Int continues to add spellpower and cast chance and reduce hunger, all fairly linearly compared to Str or Dex, all the way to 114, which is as high as I've taken it.

Won my third Ac in a row. I was pretty happy to see a manual of bows at XL3.
Turns out piercing longbow shots at finesse speed with +20 slaying from items are fairly effective, as are electrocution arrows, as are speed and vamp glaives. Killed Dissolution in 5 shots. Completely uneventful orb run, didn't even see a pan lord or seraph. Seraph almost killed my last run, jesus those things are surprisingly nasty.

This is kinda similar to the completely insane DsAc I have going right now

+27% HP/spirit shield/regen/magic regen/spiny 3 means I can take a few punches
code:
hooplah the Marksdemonspawn (DsAc)                 Turns: 36666, Time: 03:42:55

Health: 194/194    AC: 34    Str: 18    XL:     19   Next: 83%
Magic:  19/19      EV: 13    Int: 13    God:    Gozag
Gold:   8325       SH:  0    Dex: 18    Spells: 18/18 levels left

rFire    . . .     SeeInvis +   b - +8 longbow "Zephyr" {speed, Dex+3 SInv}
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg     + . .     Faith    .   X - +8 chain mail of the Lotus Blossom {rN+ rCorr}
rPois    .         Spirit   +   (helmet unavailable)
rElec    +         Reflect  .   k - +1 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   Q - +2 pair of gloves
MR       +....                  B - +2 pair of boots
Stlth    ..........             r - amulet of regeneration
HPRegen  0.82/turn              s - +1 ring of slaying
MPRegen  0.32/turn              p - ring of Anisk {rC+ Str+2 Int-3 Slay+6}

@: no status effects
A: antennae 3, rugged brown scales 3, robust 2, spiny 3, magic shield, magic
regeneration
a: Potion Petition, Call Merchant, Bribe Branch, Renounce Religion

Inventory:
 a - a +2 battleaxe of electrocution
 I - a +2 battleaxe of freezing
 l - a +0 crystal plate armour
I'm not sure if/when I should switch to the cpm. I have 10 enchant armour scrolls to blow, and I'm not casting any spells anyway.
Unfortunately my strength isn't that high, but I do have a +3 str ring on switch. Just finished clearing depths, so I guess it's time to go clear spider and shoals

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 13, 2019

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Qazlal would be a really good choice for a demonspawn archaeologist given your manual isn't a ranged weapon. That was my plan until I was given the zephyr longbow.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

:toot:
code:
1720541 hooplah the Crack Shot (level 27, 308/308 HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Archaeologist on Apr 13, 2019.
             Was an Initiate of Gozag.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Apr 15, 2019!

The game lasted 07:16:57 (70129 turns).

hooplah the Crack Shot (Demonspawn Archaeologist)  Turns: 70129, Time: 07:16:57

Health: 308/308    AC: 36    Str: 20    XL:     27
Magic:  26/26      EV: 14    Int: 14    God:    Gozag
Gold:   2185       SH:  0    Dex: 20    Spells: 24/37 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis +   b - +8 longbow "Zephyr" {speed, Dex+3 SInv}
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg     + . .     Faith    .   X - +8 chain mail of the Lotus Blossom {rN+ rCorr}
rPois    .         Spirit   +   (helmet unavailable)
rElec    +         Reflect  .   k - +1 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   Q - +1 pair of gloves of Rotation {rF++}
MR       ++...                  B - +0 pair of boots {Stlth+}
Stlth    ..........             r - amulet of regeneration
HPRegen  2.01/turn              I - ring of the Turtledove {rElec AC+3 Slay+2}
MPRegen  0.40/turn              p - ring of Anisk {rC+ Str+2 Int-3 Slay+6}

@: silence, gold aura, regenerating, repel missiles
A: antennae 3, rugged brown scales 3, robust 3, spiny 3, magic shield, magic
regeneration, magic link
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, silver, gossamer
a: Release Permanent Buffs, Renounce Religion
Turns out having over 300 hp and a longbow of speed makes a 3-rune pretty drat easy

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gorelab posted:

So I've started poking at this in gooncrawl form after a long time of not playing, is int still king for anyone who casts at all, and what's a good god for a hybrid skald?

Cheibriados if you want to be a really good looking corpse

Kikubaaqudgha is pretty good too

Gozag is the best god though

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Victory Position posted:

Pakellas is the god of gods, the artificer and tinkerer

gently caress, I didn't even realize Pakellas was in gooncrawl

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I had always loved rods and pakellas conceptually and was extremely sad when the devs nixed him.

Rods/Pakellas 2020

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Zephyr was why my very first Ar game was a win. It’s pretty good.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I had a game going on my account on CKO from quite a while back that crashes now and isn't letting me start a new game. is there a way to scrap my previous save and start fresh? I just made an alt account instead but it'd be nice to have the other one back

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

default_manual_training = true

that's vital for me. i'm not sure how well auto training works, or if it's better for a new player to not have to worry about it, but i'll never ever use auto.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

I can do you one better.

code:
#Auto open skills on new char
{
local need_skills_opened = true
function ready()
  if you.turns() == 0 and need_skills_opened then
    need_skills_opened = false
    crawl.sendkeys("m")
  end
end
}
Oh hell yeah

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

dipped back in after taking years off, in gooncrawl.

i've backed myself into a bit of a corner as a VpAs^gozag, xl 9, D7. i've gone fully bloodless and am down to 2hp with no way of making blood potions. is gozag supposed to always offer blood among the potion effects? i could potion petition right now but it's gonna get kind of expensive to do this every time i go bloodless. i know i drain a bit of blood by biting in bat form and by stabbing, but it doesn't seem to be all that much. oh and i found an early book of necromancy so i have vampiric draining reliably castable which helps... when i'm not at 2hp

any tips?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

No chance i'm going back to mainline crawl now! gooncrawl is still the superior game even if it's not being updated

i'm sure some of you are still playing it... right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah Gooncrawl Vp has amazing stats and apts for a stabber that branches out midgame into hybrid spellcaster. Turns out the trick to my question was to either don't worship Gozag, or start as En so you get more reliable stabs.

I started again as VpEn^Gozag and while corpses to gold means you absolutely cannot stay above (almost) bloodless at all times, bloodless vampires get a really powerful guaranteed vampiric drain on every successful stab against living enemies. So it's kinda like playing the flimsy stabber version of a deep dwarf of makhleb. Perhaps the lack of regen and the HP malus will kill me eventually, but lair was actually pretty breezy with all the easily hexable blood bags everywhere. Spider will be rough for sure... I may want to bribe that branch. and spend some gold looking for my non-hex options like summons or transmutations