Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Is Shawshank Archie going to be a thing for the whole season because ehhhh.

Lol at Veronica opening a speakeasy that serves mocktails. Hey fellow teens, let’s go drink juice with our friends and listen to terrible and sexy cover versions of Cole Porter songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
That was a good episode. But when teen dramas start doing episodes about the parents, it usually means they’re running out of ideas. Combined with this stupid game thing, I do wonder how long the show has left.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Fartington Butts posted:

That episode started off pretty bad, but ramped up and got awesome real quick.

The G&G stuff is still rough and it'd be hard to see it getting any better.

I don’t love this G&G stuff. I’d rather it was just a super dark/camp teen drama. Leave the supernatural stuff to Sabrina.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

esperterra posted:

Like, I don't hate Jughead or Bughead or w/e nearly as much as I used to, but I don't come to trashy teen dramas for monogomous relationships between sexy teens gdi I'm here for the drama. Especially in a show based on Archie!!

Ugh, exactly. They’re far too happy together. If Bughead is end game, then fair enough, however in the mean time they need to give them some sort of drama. Betty and Archie need to get together because it’d be TERRIBLE and that would be perfect for a teen drama.

This show does seem to love cosy couples though. Even Cheryl is boring when she’s in love.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

esperterra posted:

lmao Gina Gershon is really phoning it in

She's had so much goddamned surgery/face fillers that she can barely emote.

gently caress me, this show has gone absolutely batshit and it's only episode 8. I miss it being a teen drama with a hint of darkness in the background, rather than going all out on the supernatural stuff. A lot of the script is starting to sound like terrible Riverdale fanfiction. Fizzlerocks? Really?

I would also be fine with less Cheryl now. Yes, she's in the cutest lesbian couple on TV, but none of her stories make any sense. Her crazy mother was so homophobic she sent her for gay conversion therapy, and now she's going to move her girlfriend in?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Malpais Legate posted:

She kicked her mom out of the house after escaping lesbian prison last season.

Her mom is living elsewhere with her uncle.

Aaah, OK. I hate when idiots like me don't watch TV properly and then complain about it. I really shouldn't skip that recap because this show has so much going on sometimes.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Sgt. Politeness posted:

In real life? That's gonna gently caress up that 90210 reunion thingy

Oh poo poo that’s a shame because the last 90210 reboot was absolute garbage. I was hoping for a reunion so the show could redeem itself.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Eej posted:

Whatever they do it can't be as tasteless as when Glee killed Cory Monteith's character off screen when he died and had a funeral episode capturing the actors' genuine grief

Oof yeah that was bad. They didn’t even bother to explain why he’d died. They may as well have done ‘Finn died on the way back to his home planet.’

At least the show ended before the other guy was outed as a pedo and killed himself.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Malpais Legate posted:

Y'all talking about this show like the Heathers episode wasn't par for the course. This show is ridiculous and dumb, revel in it.

It’s getting to a level of ridiculous and dumb that’s hard to watch though. I’m a few episodes behind and finding it kind of a chore to watch. It just seems to be trying so hard to be as dark as possible that it’s become sort of lifeless. I dunno. Season one seemed to have a better balance.

I was just watching the scene where they’re taking the exam and it was so jarring to see a properly lit room in this show. Are the citizens of Riverdale trying to save energy by only having conversations in poorly lit rooms with lots of shadows?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

esperterra posted:

I think my problem with this part of the season is it feels like we're going nowhere, and have been treading water for a few episodes. Ridiculous poo poo keeps happening every episode, but none of it feels like it's propelling us forward and I find it harder to celebrate the show's high camp when it doesn't also chew through plot at a fast enough pace I don't start to think too hard about the writing.

That sums it up pretty well. There’s a sort of weird pacing to this season and many of the storylines are all over the place. Veronica is mad at her dad, oh now she’s making a deal with him I guess. Betty is burning the house down, oh no, it’s just slightly damaged and now Jughead’s mom has bought the place. Ok then.

1glitch0 posted:

Also I don't think I've ever seen a show that so desperately wants to go supernatural, but seems to be being told they can't. Like if this show goes 7 or 8 seasons there's no way the writers don't steal their laptops away from the studio and just introduce legit ghosts or vampires into the show.

I thought they’d got it all out of their system with Sabrina, which I never really got into. But yeah it seems like they really want to just remove anything grounded or real and go crazy with the storylines.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Fartington Butts posted:

Until this episode I thought Evelyn was being played the be read-headed girl from Stranger Things. Then I finally looked it up and realized that I was recognizing her from Orphan Black... where she played a girl that was kinda kidnapped/brainwashed by a cult family. Fitting.

Glad this one moved things along a bit.

Haha I thought that for a couple of episodes too. I thought Ethel had just dropped a load of weight and was now a farm member. They have the same facial expressions too.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

esperterra posted:

yo Chad Michael Murray can still fuckin' get it

hot jesus christ I think I turned straight for a second there

Ugh this show is tipping me from bi to lesbian with it’s constant shots of oily half naked Archie. It’s even the icon on Netflix ffs. I don’t know why but I find him so cringey.

Loving how they’re trying to do another will they won’t they storyline between Archie and Veronica. Because we sooooo care by this point. And oh yeah, this is definitely the time that Veronica will finally go against her dad and not be swayed by a speech about the importance of familia.

The dance costumes were amazing/ridiculous in true Riverdale style. I loved Betty running around the school in that big flouncy dress. And that there was like one line about people literally getting murdered at a prom. Riverdale!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I’m guessing that Jughead is the murderer rather than the murderee. They were burning his hat because it got blood on it when he was stabbing someone in a frantic rage. Fred?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Still Fluxing posted:

Pretty sure Jughead stabbing Fred in a fit of rage isn't the "respectful" ending the producer promised he'd give him.

But I do think the killer is Jughead. Maybe he murdered Charles for some reason? This is Riverdale, after all, and I refuse to believe he's as well-adjusted as he seems.

I was half kidding about Jughead killing Fred but wouldn’t put it past them because Riverdale is ridiculous TV. You’re right though, Charles might make more sense.

I would like to see Hal keep coming back, Michael Myers style. And then they can make a Hal-loween special. Look, as long as there’s no more G&G or fizzle rocks I don’t give a poo poo how crazy they get next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
RIP Fred.

It was nice to see an episode of Riverdale that was an actual drama and not some crazy poo poo about organ farming or fizzlerocks or whatever the last season was about.

I’m sure they’ll ruin it by revealing later in the season that Fred was actually killed by someone paid by Hiram or something.