Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TheCenturion posted:

The theme of this season seems to be glorious 80s movies. Shawshank, Mazes and Monsters, It, Wicker Man

Only one of those movies is even from the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Cute little reference to IT with FP’s cast, there.

Also, even after all these years, I was still able to pin down “Dream Warriors” after only, like, three notes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm pretty sure all the music that was obviously a decade out-of-date was totally on purpose. They knew it would gently caress with people.

It was a 2018 pastiche of a 90s pastiche of 80s classic The Breakfast Club. I don’t know what’s so complicated about that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HitTheTargets posted:

Like... Why though? Just have it be the 90s.

Because it was obviously a Breakfast Club send-up? A bunch of misfits bonding in detention? They could have made it a Not Another Teen Movie send-up, but that's already a send-up, so it's redundant.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm just saying they could reference Breakfast Club without stealing it's dang soundtrack is all.

Why would you ever do that, though?

Having your 2018 flashback to 1992 be an explicit parody of movies from 1982, 1985, and 1987, complete with soundtracks, is amazing and I don’t know why anyone would ever want to change that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Call them Teryl.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

jimmychoo posted:

im so confused, like ... how did i giant rear end guy in a costume get into the cooper house without them noticing, so is it supernatural? or is everyone just tripping balls on FIZZLE ROCKS

He snuck in while they were out and just hid behind their couch for hours and hours until a suitably creepy moment presented itself.

Of course, he’s a huge monster covered in branches and skulls and poo poo, so everyone could clearly see him, but he went to so much trouble it would be downright rude to say anything.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Stop caring. This show operates 1000% on the “Whatever sounds cool and dramatic in the moment” principle. If you’re putting any thought into anything after the fact, you’re doing it wrong.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

radlum posted:

I always wanted to see an adaptation of No Man's Land; I had no idea Archie Comics of all things would be the one to give it to me.

Well, that and the upcoming season of Gotham.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sgt. Politeness posted:

That's, uh, still goin huh?

Yes, and it’s amazing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Majorian posted:

Yeah and the way they're playing Cheryl being bi kind of skeeves me out, btw. It feels super male gaze-y.

To be fair, everything about this show is gazey.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
What makes you think the show isn’t perfectly aware of how depressing it is? Do you think it’s just coincidence that the Sisters of Quiet Mercy escapees are being sent right back there under the control of yet another cult?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
How is the thread title not “Riverdale: No one is innocent in CRIME TOWN”?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Jesus, he’s only 52. I hope he pulls through okay.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Again, he was 52. Jesus...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe Fred’s death will galvanize Archie into becoming the reasonable moral centre of Riverdale. But probably not.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Zutaten posted:

Every time I see Luke Perry in these episodes it depresses me to all hell. It's extremely unnerving to see media ghosts. Always has been.

Especially since it seemed like they were foreshadowing FP dying so hard this episode. There won’t be any solid paternal figures left.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I blame High School Musical. If not for them we wouldn't have had Glee and I wouldn't have to sit through musical episodes of my favorite soap noir show.

I think Buffy bears more of the culpability there, but “Once More, With Feeling” was actually really good, and still stands as the best example of the trend, even now.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I don't think Buffy had enough influence to keep this trend alive.

It really did. It's easy to forget it now, but Buffy was super influential at the time, "Once More, With Feeling" particularly so.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’m man enough to admit I lost my poo poo a bit when Brenda Walsh showed up.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Okay, so Reggie definitely, 100% murdered his dad, right? That’s not even in question at this point?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
*literally only one other player left in the game*

Bret: “Hmmm, I wonder if it could be Jug-“

*gets murdered*

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The perfect murder, my good man...is no murder at all!!!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

joebuddah posted:

Yes. He is also Aidan from being human.

No, Mr. Chipping is (was) Aidan from Being Human.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It was one of the most ridiculous and hilarious things the show has ever done, and that's saying something.

This is the CW, home of multiple shows where flimsy domino masks are enough to thwart everyone's attempt at divining the identity of superheroes everywhere.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah we're lucky they didn't just give her a wig like every other TV show ever.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Still Fluxing posted:

Odds on Hiram faking his disease for sympathy?

You’d never even get odds on that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Why is Archie even considering college? He already owns his own business and he hates school. There's very little for him to gain from pursuing higher education besides debt.

Veronica's relationship with her father continues to make no sense. Why is Archie encouraging her to help prolong the life of a man who has tried to kill him multiple times? This show is incapable of letting people cut toxic family members out of their lives.

Because at this point Riverdale obviously prioritizes cheap, easy drama over compelling, consistent characterization or growth of any sort.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Honestly, there were several points where Veronica could have legit killed her dad and gotten away with it scot free and the fact that she hasn’t is a huge drawback for this show. Guy’s an irredeemable sack of poo poo and Veronica feeling any reluctance because he’s her “Daddy” just makes her seem like a complete fool.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Arbite posted:

Yeah that was a pretty flat reveal.

Doesn’t help that they did everything possible to take the air out of their reveal before executing it as anticlimactically as possible. Repeatedly pointing out how stupid, unlikely, and hackneyed your plot point is doesn’t make it any less stupid, unlikely, or hackneyed.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

on the one hand I'm very against police brutality

FP’s not a cop anymore. He quit at Jughead’s funeral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Joke's on Jughead, Reggie totally has experience disposing of a body since he killed his dad.