Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
for anyone curious, my friend says they have a "low-level" infestation and the exterminator is coming Monday. They haven't been bit yet and his gf isn't having trouble sleeping, so they're gonna just tough it out through the process.

I think this is a rather optimistic outlook personally. they have like 4 roommates in the house and i have difficulty imagining it would be so easy to delouse such a large house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The severity of the infestation is going to depend on personal hygiene and cleanliness. I've seen condos where they had to call an exterminator exactly once, heat treat the really bad units and then everyone followed the procedures and that was that. I've also seen people half-assing it and bugs staying around for years.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I provide healthcare in low income social housing buildings and bed bugs are a loving nightmare. I’ve never brought them home but have caught stragglers a few times. The worst has been times when I see people who have them so bad they are just crawling on them in the middle of the day.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

https://www.theonion.com/i-had-bedbugs-but-theyre-all-cleared-up-now-1819584740

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
depends, are you a bedbug yourself?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Bedbugs are things of nightmares. The only positive thing about them is that they don't carry any diseases, like ticks. Out in my neck of the woods there are often mattresses thrown out onto the street every block just because of a bedbug infestation. They're teeming in movie theatres, bus seats and second hand clothing stores. Like another poster mentioned having had happen to them, we had an infestation at work and it had to be resprayed about 4 times and daily bagging of clothing when we came in or out. Diatom earth spread across every perimeter and doorway we could find and sniffing dog were also required as the little fuckers wouldn't completely die. Everything had to be put in bags, including folders and books, and heated to a temperature that would kill them. I would awake in the middle of the night out of fear and feel tingles, thinking they were crawling on me and would be checking my shoes, mattresses and the ground at home each time I felt so much as the slightest itch. It persisted for months even after all the bedbugs were gone.

You are a generous 7 out of 10 on the retarded scale, OP. Take precautions with bagging their clothing and putting it through the dryer, at high heat, for at least half an hour. Longer the better, tbh. And get an alcohol-based spray to spray your shoes each time you enter because they can get in that way too. They don't crawl on hair or fur too well so you shouldn't have to worry about pets picking them up. They cling to clothing far more easier.

Also DONT LEAVE ANY CLOTHING, BACKPACKS OR BEDDING ON THE FLOOR FOR FUCKS SAKE. Hang it up off the ground or put it in the bathtub.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 14, 2018

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ok well yeah sometimes you have to eat poo poo to be a good friend. Get Permethrin 5% cream for all 3 of you, find out how it works and apply it. Wash all the clothes and bedding on a hot cycle and same for a long time in the dryer and you should be fine

Permethrin does nothing against bedbugs

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Pay for a hotel for them OP. Do not let them in to your house seriously. It might seem expensive to get them accommodation but it'll be cheaper in the long run.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Get some space heaters and maintain a room temperature of 130 degrees in your house for several days.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I say let them stay but make sure you wear a plague doctor outfit around them at all times.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

FogHelmut posted:

Get some space heaters and maintain a room temperature of 130 degrees in your house for several days.

You have an alternative, you could cool your house to -20C for two days... Those are the available options.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if your cat has an exoskeleton you likely have bigger problems than bedbugs

e: Samantha has been my affectionate tortoiseshell for years and this insult really wounds me

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 14, 2018

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

hemale in pain posted:

Pay for a hotel for them OP. Do not let them in to your house seriously. It might seem expensive to get them accommodation but it'll be cheaper in the long run.

This is smart.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

If you stay in any hotel under no circumstances leave your suitcase on the bed. Even in a nice hotel. Tile only, away from any furniture or bedding (bathroom, etc...). Suitcase goes on the balcony when I get back until I can inspect it and put any clothes from the trip through a dryer at high heat. Goes double for an AirBnB because you can trust them even less.

Had a bug scare a few months ago after a business trip when after a bunch of flight delays I broke that rule. Noticed a bunch of bites on my arm on the flight back. Didn't think anything of it until one if my colleagues on the same trip had the same thing and his doctor told him it was bedbugs.

Freaked out, but fortunately by building takes this poo poo seriously so no questions, no asking for further proof, two sprays and treatment of my furniture at no cost to me.

It's been six months since then and no sign of anything so I think I'm well in the clear but, still paranoid about it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Setting your house on fire is a pretty good cure for bed bugs. Unless you got the fire resistant strain :shrug:

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

Why didn’t you consult a professional out of curiosity? Just for the consultation at least.

We had these at our workplace btw it was a nightmare bagging everything in and out with 500 people.

Also, op doesn’t seem to be infested, yet....

I did consult a professional. That is where I got the $8,000 amount from.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

HFCS posted:

I did consult a professional. That is where I got the $8,000 amount from.

Wow that’s a lot of money.

They used dogs in our office too to sniff out the fuckers.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
try drinking insect poison OP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Can't get bedbugs if you don't own a bed ;)

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!

Vakal posted:

I find it kind of funny that humans have managed to find a way of effectively killing the entire planet, yet exterminating bed begs still eludes us.

Deep man, deep

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

You friend are not doing themselves a service. They need to stay in their house to attract the bedbugs trough the trap that will kill them. Using themselves as bait. It sucks and it is terrible, but after 2-3 days(anecdotal that's when I notice almost no new bites on my body) most of them will be dead.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Can't get bedbugs if you don't own a bed ;)

That's higher level thinking but bedbugs live in all sorts of stuff

The real solution is to sleep on a bed of nails. The bedbugs will see you and be like "holy gently caress" and they'll choose to leave

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

QuarkJets posted:

That's higher level thinking but bedbugs live in all sorts of stuff

The real solution is to sleep on a bed of nails. The bedbugs will see you and be like "holy gently caress" and they'll choose to leave

In the Balkans they actually use bean leaves or something to make it harder for the bugs to bite. When they crawl up the side of the bed to have dinner late at night they get impaled on tiny barbs on the bean leaves and die.

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

Wow that’s a lot of money.

They used dogs in our office too to sniff out the fuckers.

Beagles are great BB sniffers! Our dude didn't bring dogs, it was just him pointing at scuff marks and claiming it was signs of BBs spreading, even though a quick google search told me, nah. He made it sound like we were absolutely hosed if we didn't get them in RIGHTAWAY, and I got all kinds of red flags that he was full of poo poo. So whatever. I home-remedied, and I won. But again, that is only possible with certain circumstances, size of apartment, and how soon you discover them.

It's been five years now, and I still get post-traumatic poo poo from it. You only need to have this problem once and you become a goddamn expert on how to look for them.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
The trick is to make a tiny moat of Ebola soup around your bed, which makes the bedbugs be all like "gently caress that. I'm out".

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You need to meet these vermin ridden people out front with a fire hose, a sack of delousing powder and possibly a stiff broom. Demand they strip and go to town. This probably won't help with the bedbugs but will be a lot of fun. Ideally mention your intentions after their cab leaves.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I'm just glad bed bugs aren't really a thing here. I've never heard of anybody having them, I only hear of them from American media and online.
I'm not sure why we lack them here.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
simply turn off the heat and they'll move out by the end of winter. You'll need to sleep where they can't get to ya tho

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if your cat has an exoskeleton you likely have bigger problems than bedbugs

What if you have an adorable pet giant isopod

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I'm just glad bed bugs aren't really a thing here. I've never heard of anybody having them, I only hear of them from American media and online.
I'm not sure why we lack them here.

I can almost guarantee that wherever you live on this Earth has bed bugs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Yossarian posted:

I can almost guarantee that wherever you live on this Earth has bed bugs

Your avatar looks like a bug with many legs at first drunken glance.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

They're not as bad of a problem in cold countries, but with temperatures rising and tourism getting more common there's been a big resurgence.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

You can only get bed bugs from dirty, unhygienic countries like the US. We don't have them here because we ask every American tourist to take a shower at the border before letting them in.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Fill your house with roaches. Then when all the bed bugs are dead fill your house with lizards. Keep the lizards after they kill all the roaches cuz lizards are cool bros

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

You can only get bed bugs from dirty, unhygienic countries like the US. We don't have them here because we ask every American tourist to take a shower at the border before letting them in.

that is about as much protection as a sandwich bag condom

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I had a (potentially) infested cloth chair so I put it in my car with the windows rolled up for a whole day. This was when it was 110F outside. Does that actually work?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This is a very bizarre plot to have a threesome, I'll give you that

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

buglord posted:

I had a (potentially) infested cloth chair so I put it in my car with the windows rolled up for a whole day. This was when it was 110F outside. Does that actually work?

No you just have bed bugs in your car.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

No you just have bed bugs in your car.

Well then they aren't BED bugs, are they, genius?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
bury everyone 6 feet deep for a month in permafrost. even those unrelated to this infestation. never hurts to be thorough.

• Locked thread