Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So in the USC/Colorado game, the Colorado coach went for 2 when they were down 11. Here is his explanation

https://mobile.twitter.com/brianhowell33/status/1051372398899908608?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

Also, now I can die a completed man having now seen Rodrigo Blankenship attempt to run past NFL-worthy defenders. What in the world.

I will take the blame for this because a few weeks ago I said we need to have Hot Rod either throw or catch for a touchdown because he needs to go out a hero, and apparently Kirby read my mind and some monkeys paw poo poo happened.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Petrino's buyout is massive, they probably can't afford to get rid of him right now with all the other poo poo going on at the university:laugh:

I think they were saying on shutdown fullcast it actually goes up next season lol

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

I will take the blame for this because a few weeks ago I said we need to have Hot Rod either throw or catch for a touchdown because he needs to go out a hero, and apparently Kirby read my mind and some monkeys paw poo poo happened.

That whole game was monkey's paw poo poo. "I wish we'd let Fromm throw it more."

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

The Glumslinger posted:

So in the USC/Colorado game, the Colorado coach went for 2 when they were down 11. Here is his explanation

https://mobile.twitter.com/brianhowell33/status/1051372398899908608?s=21

Well that's not gonna help the Pac-12 refs credibility.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Coaches poll

code:
1	Alabama	
2	Ohio State	
3	Clemson	
4	Notre Dame	
5	Louisiana State	
6	Georgia	
7	Michigan	
8	Texas	
9	Central Florida	
10	Oklahoma	
11	Oregon	
12	Florida	
13	West Virginia	
14	Washington	
15	NC State	
16	Penn State	
17	Kentucky	
18	Texas A&M	
19	Wisconsin	
20	South Florida	
21	Cincinnati	
22	Iowa	
23	Washington State	
24	Stanford	
25	Colorado
Also receiving votes:

Miami 124; Mississippi State 110; Michigan State 98; San Diego State 71; Duke 60; Appalachian State 55; Utah State 33; Utah 32; Southern California 25; Houston 7; Fresno State 6; South Carolina 5; Virginia 4; Auburn 4; Army 4; Iowa State 3; Virginia Tech 3; North Texas 3; Texas Tech 1; Buffalo 1; Boston College 1; UAB 1.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 14, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yay

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
RANK

THE

DRAGONS

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The following teams have legit beef for being disrespected by the coaches:

Oregon
Florida
Iowa State

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Wait is app state an fbs team now? When did that happen?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zimbomonkey posted:

2-year transition to FBS starting in 2013.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
App State should be ranked too, FOH, Colorado

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PostNouveau posted:

Coaches poll

code:
1	Alabama	
2	Ohio State	
3	Clemson	
4	Notre Dame	
5	Louisiana State	
6	Georgia	
7	Michigan	
8	Texas	
9	Central Florida	
10	Oklahoma	
11	Oregon	
12	Florida	
13	West Virginia	
14	Washington	
15	NC State	
16	Penn State	
17	Kentucky	
18	Texas A&M	
19	Wisconsin	
20	South Florida	
21	Cincinnati	
22	Iowa	
23	Washington State	
24	Stanford	
25	Colorado
Also receiving votes:

Miami 124; Mississippi State 110; Michigan State 98; San Diego State 71; Duke 60; Appalachian State 55; Utah State 33; Utah 32; Southern California 25; Houston 7; Fresno State 6; South Carolina 5; Virginia 4; Auburn 4; Army 4; Iowa State 3; Virginia Tech 3; North Texas 3; Texas Tech 1; Buffalo 1; Boston College 1; UAB 1.

drat, Florida has to be wondering how we bumped back up to 5 while they just stuck there.

SEC: three teams in the top 6

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I wanna talk to the person or people still voting for Auburn

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

AP Poll:

code:
1	-	Alabama
2	1	Ohio State
3	1	Clemson
4	1	Notre Dame
5	8	LSU
6	6	Michigan
7	2	Texas
8	6	Georgia
9	2	Oklahoma
10	-	UCF
11	3	Florida
12	5	Oregon
13	7	West Virginia
14	4	Kentucky
15	8	Washington
16	4	North Carolina
17	5	Texas A&M
18	10	Penn State
19	-	Iowa
20	5	Cincinnati
21	2	South Florida
22	2	Mississippi State
23	8	Wisconsin
24	-	Michigan State
25	-	Washington State

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Voters hate Florida

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

To be fair voters have a right to be skeptical

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

texas really rocking the winning ugly is better than losing principle

i basically agree with the rankings i think, i'd probably put florida and oregon over oklahoma but whatever

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

#16 is NC State, not UNC.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Brave of the AP to recognize that punt return fumbles shouldn't count

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thermos H Christ posted:

Except the defender is never allowed to lead with the crown of the helmet no matter where they’re aiming on the ball carrier, and helmet to helmet is otherwise legal on a non-defenseless player (like a RB running with the ball). Just keep your head up and it doesn’t matter whether the RB goes low or not.

I appreciate the reply, I just don't see how the RB (who was the ball carrier) in the question of that play was defenseless. The RB dropped his head as the LB was coming in and there was a helmet-to-helmet collision. I just don't understand how he's defenseless according to the rules

quote:

Note 2: Defenseless player (Rule 2-27-14):

A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.
A receiver attempting to catch a forward pass or in position to receive a backward pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
A kicker in the act of or just after kicking a ball, or during the kick or the return.
A kick returner attempting to catch or recover a kick, or one who has completed a catch or recovery and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
A player on the ground.
A player obviously out of the play.
A player who receives a blind-side block.
A ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped.
A quarterback any time after a change of possession.
A ball carrier who has obviously given himself up and is sliding feet-first
When in question, a player is defenseless.”

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Receiving votes!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

where's kansas

they didn't lose last week

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

drat, Florida has to be wondering how we bumped back up to 5 while they just stuck there.

I agree but also I feel like we are probably going to majorly collapse at some point and we deffo don’t look like a top-5 or -10 team.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

UGA really really really really really getting the benefit of the doubt here.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

if anyone isn't looking forward to the lit gameday next week in pullman, boy i don't even wanna know you

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

G-Hawk posted:

if anyone isn't looking forward to the lit gameday next week in pullman, boy i don't even wanna know you

It's going to be insane, op, and I can't wait

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Hed posted:

I appreciate the reply, I just don't see how the RB (who was the ball carrier) in the question of that play was defenseless. The RB dropped his head as the LB was coming in and there was a helmet-to-helmet collision. I just don't understand how he's defenseless according to the rules

nobody is saying the RB in this situation is defenseless.

if you lead with the crown, whether the player is defenseless or not, it's targeting. Doesn't matter if they're defenseless, if you hit them in the stomach, etc etc. If you lead with the crown of the helmet it is targeting. This is the part that is easily fixable as you can just coach your players to not be idiots and always keep their facemask up instead of trying to submarine people.

the OTHER side of targeting is if you "forcibly" contact a defenseless player with ANY part of your body above the defenseless player's shoulders. This is the trickier one, because there are a lot of situations, especially with receivers, where they are catching a ball and coming down to the ground, and are thus "defenseless", and a safety is running over on the play trying to obliterate them in order to shake the ball loose. Understandably, receivers generally feel this coming and curl up, which lowers their head/neck area and causes the defender to run into their head instead of what they were originally lined up for.

edit: also whoever this is needs to be suspended

https://twitter.com/adamhyde2/status/1051284767679877120/video/1

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Vols bitch

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LeeMajors posted:

I agree but also I feel like we are probably going to majorly collapse at some point and we deffo don’t look like a top-5 or -10 team.

Outside of Bama does anyone look like a top 10 team?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/YahooSportsCFB/status/1051550585126875136

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Bama can’t be the bar. They’re playing a completely different sport, it seems.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LeeMajors posted:

Bama can’t be the bar. They’re playing a completely different sport, it seems.

Yea, but you’ve still gotta fill the remaining 9 slots with someone. Clemson and OSU and Notre Dame look like a tier below, but they aren’t losing, so sure they belong. Past that it’s a bunch of flawed teams that have still managed to win almost all of their games, and Florida is in that group. You could rearrange any of the teams between 5 and 15 and have a perfectly valid ranking.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 14, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

In a year without this Bama team OSU would look really good. I think they're a clear second tier by themselves and then it's a log jam of decidedly meh teams. Bama is gonna annhilate everyone though

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

MourningView posted:

In a year without this Bama team OSU would look really good. I think they're a clear second tier by themselves and then it's a log jam of decidedly meh teams. Bama is gonna annhilate everyone though

oh word you decided tua was pretty good?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

UT's Month of Hell is going as well as the Vols could reasonably expect. Played hard in Athens, finally got a conference win on the Plains. Avert your eyes during the Bama game, but y'all can take SCAR IMO

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I never thought Tua was bad, you dummy, I just thought he had a few dumb freshman decisions in the title game last year. He got way better as did the rest for the offense. I was mostly defending Hurts as a good player anyway, and defending Saban for sticking with him as long as he did

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

#16 is NC State, not UNC.

I copied it right from the AP page and didn't edit it, so may have had some funky formatting but you are right

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The following teams have legit beef for being disrespected by the coaches:

Oregon
Florida
Iowa State

As an Oregon fan I feel we should be around 15 and everyone has us around 12 so I do not feel disrespected.

If we beat Wazzu next week then sure we should be 10th or better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zimbomonkey posted:

They’ve been a top 3 team in the Sun Belt for like 5 years

• Locked thread