Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Gaunab posted:

In the end I found the show okay. It's getting a lot of praise though so I recommend watching it. I also recommend watching the first episode and skipping to the fourth but you might miss some witness marks.

That seems like such a weird thing to say. Why would you skip 30 percent of a serial 10 episode show? If you’re gonna watch it, just watch it. The character development is crucial to the show and those episodes have a lot of it. I also didn’t really think the show was as slow as I expected it to be. It helps that it’s well structured so that every episode has a clear focus unlike many other Netflix shows. Episode 4 was the only place I thought it dragged a little bit.

The book is one of my favourites and I really think they did it justice despite the fact that this is more of a “spiritual” adaption. Much better than the movie adaptations.

I didn’t necessarily like the characters but I did find them sympathetic and realistic despite the fact the acting is a little all over the place. Michael Huisman is amazing, but the guy who plays the young Dad was pretty brutal.

Starks fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The only jump scares I can remember are the Theo smiley man bed scare and the biggest one was Nell jumping out in the car. Most of the scares are telegraphed or they’re random spooky poo poo in the background. It really didn’t feel like there were many cheap scares to me.

Also I just rewatched the first episode and that first face in the stairs right in the opening scene scared the poo poo out of me. gently caress.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

There were a lot of jump scares in the first five and a half episodes, I know that because that's the time I started saying to myself that it was getting old. Like the director knew he was good at them and so was afraid to try any other kind of horror. Then the show had the moment with Nell becoming the Bent-Neck Lady, which meant all the terror from that was gone, and it became more about the family drama, which was a different kind of horror. I like that the show brought up and used sleep paralysis as a plot point, because that's how almost all the jump scares in the first half started and could have been explained by.

I guess we have different definitions of what a jump scare is. To me it’s when something comes out of the absolute blue like one of those YouTube scream videos. If the lights go out or you see a persons face twist into terror or whatever and you know something scary is about to happen, like in the sleep paralysis scenes you mention, it takes away the element of surprise for me. But I think I understand what you and the others that mentioned it mean now.

Starks fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 17, 2018

• Locked thread