Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Some things don't seem to add up with the idea that the ghosts are just psychological. Something tore kid Luke's shirt well away from the dumb waiter, there was clearly very real dirt in the funeral home leading into the office, kid Steve unplugged the fan and it turned on and cut dad, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Doltos posted:

Those are all good points. I thought Luke's shirt getting ripped was due to the dumb waiter though. The fan was definitely poltergeistesque. Could have done without that honestly or had it explained as Steve just unplugging the wrong plug. You could also say the dumb waiter was the ghosts interacting with the world since it wasn't working properly on purpose.

I still don't think you ever see a ghost physically harming someone.

In regards to the shirt: When Theo went down there, the scrap was multiple feet away from the dumb waiter, which suggests that it didn't just get snagged by the machine.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Personally I'm irritated that they characterized any ghosts at all. It cheapened the whole thing and made it seem silly, a ambiguous corrupting evil is a lot scarier to me than "flapper ghost". I really dug how up until around ep. 6 there was nothing to suggest it wasn't all a genetic family mental illness, and honestly expected them to ride that to the end and leave the audience without a nice clean resolution, which may be part of the reason I was so disappointed with the ending.

Edit: There is a big reason why villains like Jason and Michael Myers are scary while ones like Freddy are silly, and that's ambiguity and the unknown. Jason is spooky af until his mask comes off and you see the dorky green monster, Myers is just a random nightmare until they explain his motivations. Just look what happens with Nell and bent neck lady; the second you realize what is up, all the horror is gone.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 24, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

She was also probably experiencing the effects of Luke's 90 days of sobriety, since they share the "twin thing."

At that point there would be no ill effects, he wasn't in withdrawl anymore. Luke felt great at that time. Nell was just off her meds.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 25, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, I just had a little boy 4 months ago and kid Luke hosed me up pretty badly

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Some people are just lovely assholes

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I really really enjoyed this but I wish the house and its ghostly occupants were fleshed out much much more. Who was the zombie in the basement? What was the deal with the kittens? How did the first ghosts even come to be? What happened between Hugh and the police in the immediate aftermath of the first night? Why are family members haunted by specific ghosts (ie Luke and the floating cane guy), and why do unique monstrous-looking non-human ghosts show up (like the dogs and the hosed up c'thulu dude that pulls the sheets off Theo in bed)?

The family drama is all neatly wrapped up but I would have loved to stay on Mr. Bones' Wild Ride for a bit longer

I'm the opposite. I wanted no reasons given, no explanations. The moment they gave a ghost character and personality I got turned off.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Xad posted:

this felt like a weird thing for the show to do, because instead of leaving it ambiguous as to whether or not any of the ghosts were real or not, they show that SOME definitely were, and SOME...might not have been? I feel like the "ghosts are actually just mental illness" thing could have come off better if there's never a definite answer to "are there actually any ghosts/psychic powers"

This is what I wanted from the show, but instead I got flapper ghost.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, regardless of the implications and deeper meanings of the ending, the tone of the last 10 minutes was such a total 180 from the rest of the show that it literally made me sit there and stare at the screen for a few breaths when it cut to credits, and finally just go "what?"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The introduction of Poppy is where I feel the show jumped the shark. If they just cut the show after the scary version grabbed Luke and gave us a Poochy style "sadly everyone died" screen I would have been happier.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So a theory that Flannigan confirmed about why Shirley loving sucks, is that the kids are all the 5 stages of grief.

Steve- Denial
Shirley- Anger
Theo- Bargaining
Luke- Depression
Nell- Acceptance

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
"One beer, please"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008