Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Except he did see things. Right in the first episode there's a POV shot from his perspective, where he can see something chasing him and and his father as Steve's carried out of the house.

Steve didn't see anything (or at least didn't think he was seeing anything) until then, and his method of coping with everything is to live his life attempting to prove that ghosts don't exist so he can maintain that it was all in the heads of his family.

Finished the show last night and it was really good, I don't get why people were trying to hype up how scary this was (saw articles about people vomiting and passing out). The show is way more of a thriller than a horror story. I do agree with the general thought that the ending feels...off somehow. I liked that it was a somewhat happy ending since I usually find horror movie endings to be stupid in the whole "the survivors aren't really safe" thing, but the tonal shift in the house being evil, but maybe not really evil is sudden and a bit jarring. The Dudleys apparently just get to hang out with their dead daughter like normal and then the dead Crain members are together and seemingly happy in their new ghost life. My best guess is that the house itself is evil in that it fucks with people's heads, causing them to kill themselves and/or others who are then stuck there as ghosts. it seems to be somewhat up to the ghosts if they're going to be scary ghosts or just chill at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Guiness13 posted:

I was pretty surprised people came out of the ending thinking it was happy. Nell's face as Hugh walked into the red room looked devastated. And Liv's eyes were downright predatory as she stared at Steve. I took Steve's "and it was all okay after that" narration as him taking up Hugh's role of lying to protect everyone from the truth. I mean, Hugh basically told him that the house and his promise were Steve's now, and Steve's arc really seems to be about finding out why his dad did what he did, understanding it, and taking over.

I can't see the Dudley's ending as happy either. They lost both of their children, and the house used it to tie them there, to keep them from ever leaving, to make sure that one day they would come there to die and join the souls it's swallowed.

This might what they wanted it to feel like, but the way it's shown doesn't make that super clear.

Nell - Gets to say goodbye to her siblings, says that time isn't linear and that she isn't gone from their lives. Seems almost at peace with what has happened to her. She does look haunted in that final scene a bit, but with the room brightly lit white it's a mix bag of imagery.

Hugh - Sacrifices himself to spend eternity with his wife, convincing her that letting the kids go isn't a bad thing. We last see him walking into a white lit red room as his younger self and embracing his wife and daughter.

Liv - Hugh convinces her not to kill the rest of their kids and that he'll stay with her. Again, we last see her in the white light version of that room

Dudley's - Other than being tied to the house the rest of their lives, there's no real time it's shown to be a negative thing for them. They seemed to age a lot before they died and the only time we saw any of their ghost forms they were normal looking, not decayed.

The final scene in the house would be way more obviously bad if we last see Liv and Nell as their decayed forms and if the room didn't look like a stereotypical heaven. Or if we didn't get the happy scene of Mrs. Dudley dying in the house, only to appear as a ghost with her dead baby and dead girl, looking happy.

The ending is "happy" overall no matter what though, the remaining kids get away and are able to confront the issues that have haunted them all their lives (Steven gets back with his wife and agrees to have kids, Shirley confesses to her husband and they move on, Luke is 2 years clean, Theo moves out on her own and gives up her gloves). The only interpretation is whether or not the ghosts live tortured existences for the rest of time, or if they can choose to just live out a happy existence with their loved ones that are also there.

• Locked thread