Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Just finished. I'm still digesting it but found it to be a gripping depiction of the legacy of trauma. It isn't much of a horror story, beyond a few general scares in the first few episodes, but I didn't mind that. The family drama is good overall (though there are some episodes that needed another round of edits). The kid actors were pretty great. The worst thing about the show are the last 10 minutes or so, which are weirdly off key.

Also, (E09) Abigail drinking from that cup of poison just broke my heart. She's just so desperate to be included and Olivia/The House exploits it in the worst possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

FastestGunAlive posted:

I'm okay with a happy ending; I was actually rooting for the family to come through as best they could. However, I felt the dad should have lived. Thirty years of being ostracized from his kids, this would have been a chance to get back into their lives, and actually meet his grandchildrens. He was a great dad to them in the past, which made it hard to watch how they treated him in the present (although understandable- to a point). Besides that, the happy ending for those trapped in the house felt tonally off. Another posted mention that it could just be the house tricking them, which I agree with. Your idea isn't bad either, if this story was continued they could explore the Luke - Nellie connection and Theo's abilities (if she still has them) via that.

I’ve got no problem with a happy ending. My issue is with the delivery mechanism, which seems to contradict everything we know about the house and how it operates.

Why would Liv have any say over how the house operates? How is Nellie able to drag the family out of their curdled fantasies when the show suggests that she is as much a prisoner? How is the Red Room suddenly a perfect white heaven where people get to stay together forever instead of the hellish stomach it is described as earlier?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Eat The Rich posted:

I want a sitcom in Hill House with the ghosts as the cast.

This is basically American Horror Story Season 1

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The last ten minutes of the show contain all the cinematic cues of a happy ending including slow piano music, an uplifting monologue, depictions of all the living characters resolving their traumas, and all the dead characters reuniting in their young, untainted bodies in a bright, white afterlife.

The ending sucks by implication but the show's makers clearly want to make you feel like everything worked out in the end. It's why everyone is complaining about how tonally incongruent it is to the rest of the series.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Just realized that, canonically, Nell's funeral happens tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Is there any logic behind Nell's ghost sometimes appearing as the rotting bent neck corpse and other times as her normal self? Seems like it was just a choice to make her creepy until they didn't want her to be anymore.

the show forgot it was telling a spooky story about the lingering effects of trauma and became a heartwarming family adventure

Astroman posted:

The scariest ghost remains the dumbwaiter cellar one, who was a scrabbling dervish of mindless evil with no name. If all we had seen of Hazel was her evil grinning in the background, or if William's only appearance had been the room checking sequence, or Poppy had wordlessly disappeared after appearing succubus-like over sleeping Hugh, they would have much more effective.

I thought the cellar ghost was chillingly effective when it was just an arm appearing from behind some crates and Luke screaming for his sister to pull him up.

Then it kept happening and the camera remained focused on the creature until it lost all its horror and instead became a guy in a suit.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 3, 2018

• Locked thread