Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

The Haunting of Hill House(not the House on Haunted Hill, or the Haunting of Hell House) is about a family dealing with the aftermath of spooky things happening to them years ago. It's based on the book of the same name by Shirley Jackson which has been adapted twice as The Haunting (1963) and...The Haunting (1999).

The cast is pretty big since the show goes back in forth between two different time periods so just imagine a face to go with these names:

Timothy Hutton as Hugh Crain the father
Henry Thomas as young Hugh

Carla Gugino as Olivia Crain the mother

Michiel Huisman as Steven Crain the oldest
Paxton Singlton as young Steven

Elizabeth Reaser as Shirley Crain the oldest daughter
Lulu Wilson as young Shirley

Kate Siegel as Theodora "Theo" Crain the middle child
Mckenna Grace as young Theo

Oliver Jackson-Cohen as Luke Crain the boy/oldest twin
Julian HIlliard as young Luke

Victoria Pedreti as Eleanor "Nell" Vance/Crain the girl/youngest twin and child
Violet McGraw as young Nell

Be warned that the older versions of the sisters look very much alike so it might be a little confusing during the first episode.

The series premiered Friday October 12th on Netflix so all 10 episodes are available for streaming right now. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
My view of the show is sort of conflicting. The main thing about that the show leans on is the family drama but I found majority of the family to be unlikable. I was only glad that Luke got out okay since he was the empathetic of them besides Nell who the house completely hosed over. I also thought the show could have been shortened but that's up for debate.

While I found the family drama somewhat weak, a lot of other things in the show are good. The set of the house is gorgeous and the show manages to create a spooky atmosphere. The most interesting thing I've found about the show is the witness marks. In the episode of the same name they tell you that some things you may have taken for granted were apparitions. There are ghost in the background in a lot of scenes taking place at the house; some are easier to spot than others. You can find a list of them online or you can rewatch the show and try to spot them yourself.

In the end I found the show okay. It's getting a lot of praise though so I recommend watching it. I also recommend watching the first episode and skipping to the fourth but you might miss some witness marks. Favorite line is the show was "We were there for eight and a half weeks; when would I have had time to build a goddamn treehouse?"

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Starks posted:

That seems like such a weird thing to say. Why would you skip 30 percent of a serial 10 episode show? If you’re gonna watch it, just watch it.

Thom and the Heads posted:

this is a truly crazy recommendation.

I said that you'd be missing witness marks.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think that the two time period structure sucks some of the tension out of the narrative, though it offers some thematic heft in other areas, and I think the show's quite poorly paced at times. The genre material has a tendency towards unintentional comedy, and can be incredibly predictable besides (and while I acknowledge that's not really the draw of this production, it's still disappointing). But the show's tendency to treat me like I'm an idiot is something I've no patience for.

This is also part of it. This show could use a trim. Maybe not episodes worth but a few minutes could definitely be edited out. I think I'd have rather seen the show play out somewhat sequentially instead of jumping around. I understand that jumping around was a thematic element of the show but I didn't like it much when I thought back on it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Nope. It may seem like I'm saying that but that's just because I suck at communicating that I think the show could use a trim and the way it's structured exacerbates that problem.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Episode 6 is one of the best episodes of TV I’ve seen this year. Anyone saying to skip the earlier episodes doesn’t really understand storytelling on any level, but let’s not make fun of them :)

I know my opinion isn't popular but don't be passive-aggressive towards me, especially since I created the goddamn thread.

I thought the family drama was one of the weaker parts of the show and that's because it comes off like a stage play. Shirley and Theo come off as weak characters to me because in the end they don't factor into the mystery the show sets up and the mystery is what kept me watching, not the family drama.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I watched it viewing the mystery of what happened the night they lost their mother to be what the show was about. The family drama and that mystery are connected but the mystery was what kept my interest.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
My commupence for not liking something about a show I like? It's too late for that.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
You guys don't need to use spoilers anymore if you don't want to.

With Luke I thought his drug use came more from the guilt about Abbie than the hauntings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Surprised there hasn't been much mention of all the background ghosts. Then again, I don't think most of these would get noticed unless you are deliberately looking for them due to them not moving, blending in with the background, and being on screen for very short periods of time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmE4M6puY-4

I mentioned them but my uh...more controversial opinions became the subject of conversation.

• Locked thread