Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I just spent the summer camping out in the wilderness with pretty much no internet/tv. Now I'm back in civilization and catching up on all the comics shows.

After binging all of Doom Patrol, then starting in on Titans... Ugh, it's like I just sipped a fine whisky and then tried to chase it with Steel Reserve. I really want to like this show, but for all of the reasons y'all have pointed out --- wtf pacing, half-assed character development, too many in-cohesive themes --- I just can't stand it. My husband likes it for some bizarre reason, though, so we continue to watch (me, I'm admittedly hate-watching it).

One thing I absolutely can't stand which I don't think anyone itt has brought up, though: loving Christ stop with the blue filter on everything. Some folks have asked itt who the writers are pandering to. I dunno about the writers, but the DP thinks it's teen girls who love Twilight movies, because I swear 99% of the shots are in that heavy blue filter made to look like it's perpetually dusk. I got irrationally furious when they were looking for Raven and kept describing her as "the girl with the purple hair" but every goddamn shot of her, her hair looks blue because of that filter. I can't be the only person who hates that effect, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I liked Harley Quinn, but I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. Can we all agree, though, than Alan Tudyk's voice work on Joker was really good? Hard for me to describe, but: def Mark Hamill-ish but not entirely a straight up imitation, he brought his own... I dunno, charm?

Loved Ivy's VA, too.

E: typoed a name

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I know this primarily Harley chat, but we can still post about other DC shows, right?

To fill the void in my life what with having to wait another week until Crisis comes back, I started watching Swamp Thing. Has some good creepy stuff, fx are cool, I like that it hasn't followed the CW formula of dragging out "Abby figuring out who Swampy is" for a whole goddamn season. Like, she gets it in episode 2 or 3, thank god.

But lawd awmighty, does anyone ever go to the swamp during the day like a normal person would? "Hmmm, I want to find evidence about the explosion. Better go in the middle of the night!" "Hey, we're gonna scout for stands of cyprus to poach. Better do it in the middle of the night!" "I need to collect some samples of goo from the swamp; better do it in the middle of the night!"

I know, I know, it's for atmospheric effect, and maybe it really sticks out if you binge the show. But even by episode 3 I was all "welp, so here's our problem of the week, how much you wanna bet ----- yyyyyep, there it is, they're going to the swamp in the middle of the night instead of during the day like any sane person would."

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. And yes, Harley still owns bones.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I haven't finished it myself yet, but I'm hoping it sorta wraps things up with some sort of plot Band-aid since they knew it was not getting a second season.

Anyone who has seen it all: can you tell me if that's the case or not, without giving me any spoilers? Just a "yeah, you'll get some closing satisfaction" or "nope, they just cut that poo poo off" will suffice. I ask more for my new housemate, who absolutely will not watch shows until the whole run is out. She's got anxiety issues, and can't deal with cliffhangers from week to week, let alone season breaks or something being suddenly cancelled. She gave up on Game of Thrones and Walking Dead because it was too much for her.

On the upside, looking forward to sharing the insanity that is Gotham, because that one's done, so she'll watch it. :D

edit: eh, crap, Rhyno, you got that in before I posted. Thanks for the heads up, though.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Y'know, you'd think at this point I'd know what I was getting into, but I still spend about 75% of an episode making this face :stare: (and laughing).

If you had told me last year I'd be watching a well-animated, well-voiced DC show that had a crazed Jim Gordon complaining about his lackluster sex life with his new BFF who happens to be Clayface's severed hand, I'd've asked what kind of drugs you were on, and did you have any more

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Axel Serenity posted:

I love how excited King Shark gets about things :3:

Same! He's such a departure from the few Suicide Squad comics I've read, where's he kind of like an aquatic HULK SMASH character, talking in brief monosyllabic sentences. But they still kept his joy in eating people; that scene where he finds out it's not a plastic decor diver but a real person and gleefully claps his hands, I was dying. I beam every time he shows up.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Color me surprised (my husband, too, I just showed that to him)! Has he always looked kinda like that, or is that a big ol' retcon? I can't I've ever seen him without his helmet, but I guess I assumed he looked like a human.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Ah, thanks guys! I've never read much Aquaman, and the ones I have didn't feature him. I only know Manta from Superfriends and Young Justice.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Bane continues to be a delight.

Not gonna lie, with the exception of the Nolan film, I've always found Bane to be a villain that made me roll my eyes for some reason (same with Doomsday). So them totally taking the piss outta him in this has me absolutely giggling every time he's on screen.

Also not gonna lie, I made satay noodles last night and did my best impersonation of that line while plating it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Psycho is still kind of a douchebag. But he's no Batman villain, I guess.

Psycho shows up in Gail Simone's Plastic Man mini series. He tries fronting on Amazo, and... it doesn't go well.

Incidentally, if you like this show, you'd probably like that book. Adult themes and humor (Plas's day job is bouncer for a superhero-themed strip club), and Harley... kind of makes an appearance. Plus a really strong message on the side about LGBTQ rights (I don't wanna give away too much). Which is ironic because one single panel got a whole lot of shade thrown at it when it first came out, and if you stuck around to read it, it's blatantly apparent that Simone is not queer-phobic in any way. I hope all the people frothing about that one drawing actually took the time to keep reading and were all "boy is my face red!"

It's funny as hell and the art's really nice, too.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Elfface posted:

Someone post that SMBC about how the most good Superman can do is turn a giant crank to provide clean power.

Ugh, you just reminded me of DK2, where everything's great now that we have clean, renewable energy!

...thanks to The Flash locked up and running a giant hamster wheel. :smith: Poor Barry.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

As long as we're speculating, to the verge of shipping: if Ivy and Kiteman break up, I want to see him hook up with a C-list heroine like Bulleteer. Like, he gets dumped by Ivy, so he goes to a bar to drown his sorrows. Bulleteer's there already, moping over the fact that no one takes her seriously and she just got brutally shot down after trying to flirt with, I dunno, Nightwing or somebody. They commiserate over their loser-ness and get drunk, hook up, and decide to just be chaotic neutral: "gently caress those heroes!" "yeah, gently caress those villains!" And just show up randomly as a couple with the goofiest outfits/gimmicks ever, and you have no idea whose side they're on at any given appearance.

Thanks for reading my 5am-I-have-insomnia fanfic.

Also, now that we know Dr Psycho has "a type", I so wanna see him meet Big Barda, that comedy would write itself.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

I imagine the Wayne Foundation also funds oodles of jobs and education programs that one might not find in other cities.

Also, the Arrowverse has Gotham set somewhere near Chicago

Yeah, I can't remember which thread it was in (because I actually watch every DC show there is except Titans, so I get my threads mixed up, especially during/post-Crisis). But one show (I think Flash?) showed a map that some goon was kind enough to get us a a couple high-rez stills from.

The only irl city on there was Tokyo, for some reason.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Lechtansi posted:

What else is everyone watching? I'm running out of good stuff to watch and Harley can't come fast enough.

I've been getting my animated DC fix by binge-watching Young Justice from the beginning, since I never watched it when it aired. It sorta scratches the same itch because you get some weird one-off appearances (last one I watched had Blue Devil in it, when does he ever show up in something?), and also the team is pretty flawed. Superboy's a hot-headed jerk, Robin's kinda douchey, Wally barely listens to what anyone says, everyone's got a bad case of the hormones and get snippy with one another... it pretty accurately captures what teens are like. They aren't totally invincible and noble, it's kinda down-to-earth as far as superhero team-ups go.

Pretty weird seeing an episode tonight with Ivy in it where she's balls out evil, after getting into her reading Gotham City Sirens and then this show. Also, the Joker really sucks, just warning you. The look, the lines, and the voice acting (and I like Brent Spiner, he just was not a good fit), he's just terrible. And Black Adam taking orders from Count Vertigo of all people? Psssh, yeah, right.

But it's been addictive and fun.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Legends of Tomorrow has some good relationship stuff, as well as being ridiculously funny. Gotham was pretty good with that too, once it hit its stride. Seems like they pour all that energy into TV rather than films, and I'm alright with that; I'd rather get some free fun out of Supergirl and LoT every week than a couple hours of fun for $12 every summer. Sucks that the films are generally disappointing compared to Marvel's, but DC's TV game has been fairly drat solid, imo.

(With the exception of Batwoman, which I'm getting to Smallville-levels of hate-watching at this point.)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Nameless Pete posted:

All episode titles from BTAS episodes with Harley in them. I appreciate it when a team puts some effort into the lorem ipsum.

:aaaaa: Holy crow, that's amazing.

Just the other day in the Funny Panels thread over in BSS, I posted about how I miss when comics put some effort into panels with a newspaper in them because there's often hidden jokes if you're willing to squint and read the text. Nowadays they mostly just fill the text portions with some lorem ipsum gibberish (which imo is super lazy since lettering is p much all digital now).

This show is golden because there's so many little details like that which will make it worth watching again, and the funny bits are so fast-paced I probably missed a joke here and there because my husband and I were laughing so loudly at the last one. :allears:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I want Hamill to come onto the show...

...as Trickster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-VHe_4GmE

SO on board with Trickster for best man. Since Hamill reprized the role for the CW Flash, he'd be on board for a few quick scenes, I'm sure. Also, I have never seen that short, and it is incredible, thank you. :)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

If anyone's got a DC Universe sub and wants to scratch that Harley-esque itch, you could do worse than watching Batman: Brave and the Bold, which I started watching for the first time last week. It's way more PG obviously, but they do sneak some things in like a "The Aristocrats!" joke in Se1Ep1, which I wasn't prepared for. It features a snarky, not-so-fuckin-grim-dark Batman, and our dude Kiteman has been spotted/mentioned three times so far and I'm not even done with season 1. Did not see THAT coming.

My favorite one-off joke: There's an ep where Bats gets his astral body pulled out of his physical one, and his spirit comes to chat with Green Arrow. GA's like "Bats, you'rer dead?! Who got you? [pause as he barely stifles a laugh] Please tell me it wasn't Kiteman."

Some nice Easter eggs for the comics nerds too, there's a one second nod to a famous Kirby drawing that had me all "holy crap!"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's pretty hard to gently caress up the Joker but when it happens it happens haaaard. I really hate Brent Spiner's Young Justice Joker.

Ooof, this. We've also binged past YJ while we have access to a DCU sub (we're couch-surfing rn at a friend's house that has it) as a refresher so we could start season 3. Much as I like Brent Spiner, his Joker is just loving awful. I don't know if it's him getting ham-strung by bad writing, or he was just phoning it in, but it was just flat and bland as a low-sodium matzoh. The bad art design doesn't do it any favors, either.

Season 3 YJ has seemed pretty drat tight, though, I've enjoyed the 4 episodes we've watched so far.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

DC Animated kinda already did that in New Frontier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq604dxCoKQ

I loved that scene when reading New Frontier the first time, and I'm soooo glad they kept it in the animated version.
It's just :discourse:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Make it both, and Wonder Woman and Renee are a thing.

All-Star "Sisters are doing it for themselves" crossover between Gotham City Sirens, Birds of Prey, and every other DC woman.

edit: stupid additional idea I need to workshop more removed here

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 29, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Anyone else watching Pennyworth?

I didn't watch it when it started bc I thought the premise seemed dull. My bf gave it a go about a month ago, though, and next thing you know we were binging like mad so we could get caught up to this season. Show is NUTS in the best way, beautiful to look at, gives no fucks about comics canon, some great acting, plenty of humor... A+

Anyways, if anyone's watching: how bout this week's ending? I heard there was gonna be some tie-in with that, but wtf?!

Edit: whoops, didn't realize we were a week behind, I'm referring to last week's ending.

VVV and yeah, I didn't realize that when it started or I would've jumped right on board. I loved Gotham once it embraced the bonkers, and this totally scratches that itch.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 21, 2022

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Anyone else watching Gotham Knights?

As with Titans, my husband decided to give it a go, though I had zero interest after the pilot. He's still interested, I've officially relegated it to my "yeah, whatever, I'll half-watch while folding laundry or other boring tasks" vague hate-watching.

I like the Robin character all right, but Joker's Daughter is just Alice all over again ("teehee, I'm just soooo random and crazy!") and the guy playing Bruce's son has all the emotional range of a damp paper bag. Dude playing Harvey Dent looks and acts like a dollar store knock-off of Jim Gordon from Gotham (who I loooooved).

Maybe if it ends up full off-the-rails like Gotham and Pennyworth did, I'll get on board, but for now it's like it jumped straight to mid-series Smallville... Yet worse. Meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

delightful posted:

You could write a book on how lovely the lighting/color grading/cinematography on this show is. This show should be used as a cautionary tale to anyone coming in to the industry. It's so loving ugly.

Everything is. So. Blue. All the blue tint.

Watched the finale tonight and was like, "huh, that may be a cool looking Robin costume... But who can tell what color it is???"

Also makes the idiots whining about casting a black Cory even more laughable. She's orange in the comics. Anyone with basic color theory knows that blue + orange = brown. There ya go, they got it just fine.