Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
What else is everyone watching? I'm running out of good stuff to watch and Harley can't come fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

twistedmentat posted:

I know some people who have seen Timm's personal sketchbooks. The stories they told.

Yea she is super pissed off about it but the University isn't paying to keep mice if they're not being used. Cheap bastards.

Lucky for us we had a really good quarter, we have patient trials in progress, and manufacturing is still running. We can keep the animal labs going indefinitely, and will !

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lechtansi posted:

What else is everyone watching? I'm running out of good stuff to watch and Harley can't come fast enough.

Midnight Gospel on netflix is really weird. It's like all the great scifi aspects of rick and morty but none of the other stuff. it's an animated podcast or something?? idk where they source the audio from but the animation is good

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Harley was created by Paul Dini :colbert: He based her off of his long time friend Arleen Sorkin (who provided the original voice of the character in the animated series) who had previously appeared in a jesters costume in a dream sequence on the soap opera Days of Our Lives.

And know you know some pointless trivia!

Somehow this is the only possible confluence of events to make Harley possible and it still happened :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lechtansi posted:

Legends and Flash are back on!

Legends is back on!

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

bring back old gbs posted:

Midnight Gospel on netflix is really weird. It's like all the great scifi aspects of rick and morty but none of the other stuff. it's an animated podcast or something?? idk where they source the audio from but the animation is good
I tried that and couldn't handle starting a second episode. This description is perfect though, because I also generally can't stand listening to podcasts for the same reasons.

Lechtansi posted:

I've been quite enjoying "Rugal" on Netflix, which is approximately a Korean version of Jake 2.0 or Chuck. Subtitles only.

After Life, on Netflix, with Ricky Gervais, is quite weird and uplifting and dark and sad and funny, much like its predecessor Derek.

The Last Kids On Earth, on Netflix, is alright as pretty mindless nonsense to watch and not really pay attention to.

I quite liked Daybreak. Daybreak is to Omega Man as Todd and the Book of Pure Evil is to Army of Darkness.

Vagrant Queen on sci-fi is like a pale awful shadow of Killjoys, Farscape and Blake's 7, but I'm still watching it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bring back old gbs posted:

I saw a trailer for it and the early 2000s Newgrounds flash animation look really turns me off. It is an uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly show.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

LashLightning posted:

Unless there's some sort of semi-open relationship going on, where Ivy is seen as being with both Chuck and Harley, but Chuck and Harley aren't an item.
If it's this, the show has transcended.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I didn't know his real name before but referring to Kite Man as "Chuck" is perhaps the least surprising thing this show has ever done.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
At least they didn't go with low-hanging fruit and make him a Chad.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Kite Man's full name is, I'm pretty sure, Charles Brown so Chuck is way better than Charlie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BlackIronHeart posted:

Kite Man's full name is, I'm pretty sure, Charles Brown so Chuck is way better than Charlie.

So Charlie Brown married the kite-eating tree.

Of course.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

BlackIronHeart posted:

Isn't his alter ego also based mostly on Schultz' Peanuts character by the same name, who is also strongly associated with flying kites (and getting them stuck in trees)?

Also, OF COURSE Kite Man's nemesis is another of DC's many throwaway joke characters.

Also, I love the fact that they put a character making themed puns in this episode featuring a good iteration of mr. Freeze, since themed puns is one of the most prominent and annoying features of the worst iteration (except apparently the new 52 one i wasn't aware of).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkTHtWX7CCY

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

kjetting posted:

Also, I love the fact that they put a character making themed puns in this episode featuring a good iteration of mr. Freeze, since themed puns is one of the most prominent and annoying features of the worst iteration (except apparently the new 52 one i wasn't aware of).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkTHtWX7CCY
You probably forgot a lot of the details about the BtaS episode that introduced Freeze as we know him.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Good lord, they were going to have Tim Curry play the joker? I love Mark’s to pieces but man I would have liked to have seen that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Phylodox posted:

Of course.

Rack em

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Xander77 posted:

You probably forgot a lot of the details about the BtaS episode that introduced Freeze as we know him.

I still think Batman beating Mr. Freeze with a can of soup is a little too silly. But, as the article said, it is a show about a man dressed as a bat fighting a man in a robotic refrigerator suit. :v:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

kjetting posted:

Also, I love the fact that they put a character making themed puns in this episode

Would you say you... relished it?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Phylodox posted:

Of course.

Who also happens to be a not-so-little red-headed girl.

There's no way he's not going to get a "good grief" in eventually to drive home the point.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 29, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

angerbeet posted:

Would you say you... relished it?

*frantically googling for things that rhyme with sriratcha*

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I still think that Frank is going to eat Kiteman.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That's the only way this can end.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

*frantically googling for things that rhyme with sriratcha*

http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=sriracha&typeofrhyme=perfect&org1=syl&org2=l&org3=y&loc=home_ac_sri

also matcha

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Lechtansi posted:

I've been getting my animated DC fix by binge-watching Young Justice from the beginning, since I never watched it when it aired. It sorta scratches the same itch because you get some weird one-off appearances (last one I watched had Blue Devil in it, when does he ever show up in something?), and also the team is pretty flawed. Superboy's a hot-headed jerk, Robin's kinda douchey, Wally barely listens to what anyone says, everyone's got a bad case of the hormones and get snippy with one another... it pretty accurately captures what teens are like. They aren't totally invincible and noble, it's kinda down-to-earth as far as superhero team-ups go.

Pretty weird seeing an episode tonight with Ivy in it where she's balls out evil, after getting into her reading Gotham City Sirens and then this show. Also, the Joker really sucks, just warning you. The look, the lines, and the voice acting (and I like Brent Spiner, he just was not a good fit), he's just terrible. And Black Adam taking orders from Count Vertigo of all people? Psssh, yeah, right.

But it's been addictive and fun.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This might come off as a bit of an odd recommendation, but if you've enjoyed the Harley Quinn show and you're looking for something to fill the void between episodes consider watching The Willoughbys movie on Netflix.

Harley Quinn is a show for adults, and The Willoughbys is intended for a younger audience, but both deal with themes of escaping abusive situations, both have a lot of good dark humor, and I enjoyed both of them a lot so maybe you will too.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Watching this reminds me of why the marvel movies are so good and the DC movies suck. at the end of the day, we watch them for the relationships. And the banter is FUNNY. like, when was the last time someone said something funny in a DCEU movie besides flash?

Like, I could watch ivy and frank all day. Same with Clayface and King Shark. I mean, poo poo even the conversation in the scene where Syborg and his ex are trying to cremate the crew is hilarious.

DC had better throw as much money as possible at the creators to keep this going for another few seasons.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lechtansi posted:

Watching this reminds me of why the marvel movies are so good and the DC movies suck. at the end of the day, we watch them for the relationships. And the banter is FUNNY. like, when was the last time someone said something funny in a DCEU movie besides flash?

Hey! The Birds of Prey movie was very funny :colbert: and also featured Harley Quinn, so clearly she's the to making a DC show or movie good.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Legends of Tomorrow has some good relationship stuff, as well as being ridiculously funny. Gotham was pretty good with that too, once it hit its stride. Seems like they pour all that energy into TV rather than films, and I'm alright with that; I'd rather get some free fun out of Supergirl and LoT every week than a couple hours of fun for $12 every summer. Sucks that the films are generally disappointing compared to Marvel's, but DC's TV game has been fairly drat solid, imo.

(With the exception of Batwoman, which I'm getting to Smallville-levels of hate-watching at this point.)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Lechtansi posted:

I recommend Bosch if you like noir-like brooding detective shows. Season six was just released, and the rest are good too.

It stars Titus Welliver. Each season has 10 well-paced episodes and an overarching plot.

itry fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 29, 2020

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I tried really hard to like Gotham, but I got really tired of it the third time they went “surprise! That characters not actually dead” and I finally turned it off by the 10th time it happened.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I checked Gotham out when it was just released, and it was just boring to me. Also the things I read about Ivy in that show made me cringe.

I also don't like Legends, Shield, Flash, post S1 (and some of S2) Arrow, Supergirl, or Batwoman. :ssh:

itry fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 29, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Agents of Shield's biggest problem was that it set up the big plot twist too well - it hid it's true nature by hiding itself behind kind of generic archetypes that it intended to blow up on the Hydra reveal which is where it got good, but it disguised itself too well and bored too many people before it got weird and fun.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

Agents of Shield's biggest problem was that it set up the big plot twist too well - it hid it's true nature by hiding itself behind kind of generic archetypes that it intended to blow up on the Hydra reveal which is where it got good, but it disguised itself too well and bored too many people before it got weird and fun.

Yeah, they were constrained by having to coordinate with the movieverse.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Megazver posted:

The pre-hail-hydra episodes were insanely weak sauce. It got better after, sure, but before that it was difficult imaging it having 2 seasons.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There's no justifying it, those eps were extremely bland and certainly not enough to hook anyone. But I can't fault the showrunners for hiding it too well, as they were literally forbidden from doing so much as foreshadowing it. I mean, now you can see some hints of foreshadowing, but only retroactively. Nothing that would stand out during a first watch.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Megazver posted:

These shows being barred from using certain characters or events is a big part of the problem, yeah.
The writers for Harley Quinn seem to have a lot of wiggle room in comparison.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You can kind of imagine that for shows like this and Gotham it wouldn't matter as much, because they'd just look at all the other DC characters and just go "Well, we have 600 other people to use, who cares if we can't use Batman or Superman? Have Harley get in a slapfight with Blue Beetle, and we're good." That's basically what happened with Legends of Tomorrow - they got the scraps, the characters that the other shows couldn't think of plots for, and just decided "gently caress it, let's have fun!"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

itry posted:

These shows being barred from using certain characters or events is a big part of the problem, yeah.

We've definitely left the days of the Bat-embargo, but there's still some weird limits that happen. Some of it is because of dumb legal stuff.

quote:

The Wonder Woman embargo:
Bruce Timm admitted in an interview shown on the first season DVD that he initially ran into some legal issues once he told Warner Bros. that he wanted to use Wonder Woman for the series. He was eventually successful in being able to use the character for the show, but later other animated series ran into similar road-blocks preventing the use of both the Wonder Woman character as well as established Wonder Woman supporting characters, like Cheetah and Steve Trevor. Although it was never clear which was one of the main reasons of this embargo, it's believed that it could have been the production of the Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman, which was ultimately never made.

Bruce Timm on DrawingBoard.org posted:

I think (Nemesis) was on a list of 'rights-available' guys that DC gave to us. And he is a unique 'type,' so we said, 'What the hell, put him in the show, we need bodies.' I would much rather have had Phantom Stranger, Spectre, Blue Beetle, etc, but they were off-limits for whatever reason.

https://dcau.fandom.com/wiki/Bat-embargo

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

itry posted:

I kinda wish they would bring back Snow Flame back to the DC canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, Snowflame would actually be a good character for this Harley Quinn.