Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Empty quote this forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

That looks ok but wtf is ZENNI?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I wonder if any team has thought about putting the logo of some local charity on their jersey for free. Some marketing people could probably calculate if the positive buzz and goodwill from that would outweigh the couple of million you would get from a corporate sponsor. I remember Barcelona having Unicef on their jersey a couple of years ago.

Jersey sponsors are BRI, so half goes to the players in the form of cap increase. You want to help some poor starving kids who probably can't dunk or do you want another gunner for the bench? Think carefully.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

G-Hawk posted:

neither the clippers or mavericks have more than like a 10% chance to make the playoffs imo

Yeah, no joke.

Out of the Spurs, Timberwolves, Nuggets, Clippers, Dallas, Lakers only two of them are making the playoffs and I don't think Clippers and Dallas are it. There might be another team that surprisingly falls I guess, but right now it seems unlikely.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Metapod posted:

Melo was good last year till his body wore out then he was real bad. He will probably be good this year till his body wears out

Unfortunately that only took like 25 games last year, but it was enough to get that past that horrid funk Westbrook started in.

I like Melo as a bench gunner a lot though, he's going to roast some 3rd year fringe NBA dudes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Minnesota stays in
Denver takes San Antonio’s spot
Lakers take Portland’s spot ?

Minnesota depends on how much the Butler drama affects things. MN could be 4 or 10. I like Denver (though not a lot) and the Lakers. I think Spurs will bullshit their way back in. This is unpopular, but I am not sure about New Orleans. I'm not sure AD super-saiyan's his way back through, and the rest of that roster is rough. Like they made a bunch of decent moves, but that roster still seems very problematic.

It's going to be a meat grinder again.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

:lol: if Vlade actually tried trading for Jimmy Buckets
https://twitter.com/CarmichaelDave/status/1052346919475851264

insert joke about him leading third stringers to victory

I'm dying to know the offer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Agree with have no shame, but Utah is a fun team if you like that style of ball, and Denver is also very watchable. Don't watch the Nets. Mavs are kinda interesting but I suspect it'll be spin your wheels in mud kinda season, even if Doncic lives up to hype.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So for the free league pass trial is it just sign in with your NBA account?

Also anyone here of any India or other cheap deals?

Also my daughter likes cheering for both the Sixers and Celtics.

I feel like a bad father. lol

I use hehestreams, no VPN needed, really fast, basically exactly League Pass with no blackouts and $100 gets you 365 days. Native chromecasting, which is my biggest need. Here's my blatantly self-promoting referral link.

https://hehestreams.com/r/in/fb1bc79ce0a4cc522e8ddc2e81875c1d

Cool Buff Man posted:

The ball was definitely blocked by Embiid but Brown squared up, saw Embiid in the post waiting for him and decided to try to jump over him anyways and the ball still went in so I'm proud of him

He also sent Embiid sprawling and landed on two feet.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Usually League pass is pretty good, right now during their free trial it can be up and down, but watching replays is usually pretty good (aside from any stream, if your connection is bad it'll be bad).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dokmo posted:

I only watch games the day after and have not had any problems. Even better, they trim the commercial breaks and halftime so the games are less than 2 hours.

I want so bad for someone to trim down further and remove dribbling the ball up, OOB stoppages and free throws (other than just the shot) as I think the games could be under an hour. I hate the recaps because they cut out plays so you have no idea how defense is playing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I thought most Kings fans really liked Mike Malone but they he was fired because they lost games when Boogie got hurt, like he was supposed to win 50 games with Rudy Gay and Omri Casspi.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

crazycello posted:

My standard is that it has to look like a dunk on slow mo replay too. The play ruled but banking it in takes it from a 10/10 poster to 7/10.

I feel like you're missing the spirit of the dunk, And that spirit is stink facing a prone Embiid while he reconsiders his profession.

(all credit to Embiid for challenging it anyway, and his defense was why the game was close in the first half at all)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's how you do it

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He's 1-5 right now, but he's bouncing around pretty well so gently caress it. BACK.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

6 shots for Karl Towns.

Why.

Did you watch the game? Towns was playing like poo poo and had like 3 more shots that were waived off because he committed an offensive foul.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Still can't believe we just threw in Danny Green
Oh you're getting our best defender? Better include our second best defender.

Spurs defense still looked pretty good against a team that was really good offensively last year. Spurs always cobble together reasonable defenses.

euphronius posted:

KAT is trying to get butler traded

Nah, LMA just dominated him. Strong post defenders have always been KAT's bane (see: Capella). KAT was actually trying.

IcePhoenix posted:

Wiggins was trying on defense tonight!

Or at least it looked like he was when I was paying attention

Wiggins had a nice game! He was active on defense, not good but he was moving around and going after rebounds (which was needed because no one could get around LMA), he was more aggressive going to the basket and was generally smarter about which 3s to take (he was 2-5 then took a desperation heave at the end of the game down 4). I want him to pass out of his ISO's when he gets bodied so far from the paint instead of putting up a shot, but otherwise it looked good against a team that generally was playing good defense against them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

Lmao Thibs rode the starters hard last night; already in midseason form :allears:

?? That's not really running your starters very hard (in a close game too)???

Wiggins is the 22nd most minutes played in the last 2 days, no other Minnesota player is in the top 60.

Rose did not look good. Looked healthy but he really could not finish. The bench looked a bit better but scoring from there is still a problem. Having Butler roll with those guys worked pretty well, it looked pretty good when Wiggins did that too.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 18, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's superstar Jeff Teague to you.

Dreylad posted:

I'm really interested to see if Pop can get DeRozan to play solid D. If anyone can do it, it's him.

DeRozan played pretty solid D, and his two-man game with LMA works really well considering they are both mid-range and in kind of guys.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think Denver is like Minnesota and mostly a victim of a crowded West from teams that are in the 45-50 win range. Most years Denver would have been a 5th or 6th seed and would have had the "Promising young team with a fiesty first round loss" narrative. I look at that roster last year and I just don't see a 50+ win team yet(especially with Millsap missing so many games). I think the Malone criticism isn't very valid. People expect too much from teams that are "good but not yet great".

Though I also agree with the statement before that I see way more people criticizing the critics of Malone than I actually see critics. So either its made up heat or I'm just not looking in the places where he gets it.

G-Hawk posted:

new orleans is a tough matchup for houton (and well, everyone probably), i'll be interested to see how Houston looks on Saturday against the Lakers. They just came out flat as hell last night. Hopefully getting punched in the mouth will remind them they can't totally cruise control the season

I thought Pelicans were overrated this offseason and even though it's only one game I feel kinda stupid for that prediction right now.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 18, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So can you not get drafted unless you spend a year in the G-League (Which I am cool with, actually) or is this for guys who aren't on a draft radar yet?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

I think the idea is that this is a stopgap for 18-year-olds until the league can renegotiate the 19-year-old age limit in the CBA? Also possible they still want to keep the age-19 limit to cover GM asses and this is a way to get kids paid and still have that extra year of data

At 100k+ a year I am ok with the age limit. This would also reduce (somewhat, I guess) pro teams scouting high school kids, which I always thought was skeezy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

The Kemba comeback is probably the best thing that happened, Clippers/Nuggets or Timberwolves/Spurs was probably the best game as far as evenly matched talent and if you havent' seen Ayton or Doncic yet check out Suns/Mavs.

Agree, though Spurs/Timberwolves was a sloppy game (which, in October, almost every game is sloppy).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think the biggest issue for all of this is rookie G leaguers would still have to enter the draft afterward. If an A+ prospect signed with the Baby Bulls, how much time would they spend developing him if he plays for another franchise the next year?

G-League coaches would have the selfish motivation of developing a high-draft pick guy would make them look really good for coaching opportunities. And I feel like that same situation happens with NCAA teams now with guys who are obviously 1-and-done, so worst case scenario is you are in the same boat.

Alternatively, you can have NBA teams be able to draft 18 year olds (who enter the draft) but have the first year be required to be a G-League year @ $125k and doesn't count toward NBA service time. 18 year olds get paid to play, NBA teams get to develop those guys instead of the NCAA half-asssing it, and at 19 the rookies still get their millions with the rookie contracts.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

I don't really see the incentive for the teams here, you're spending a draft pick on a guy but can't even use him if you wanted to

It would be "76ers Redshirt program" on steroids. You'd be drafting someone for the 4 + 4 years of contract control, which you'd get to start after 1 year (which includes development in your system). For GMs who need a short-term solution it wouldn't be attractive, but for a bunch of teams I bet it would, especially those teams that are on a more aggressive contention curve and who wouldn't otherwise want to draft a raw player.

Declan MacManus posted:

this is probably the best fix but having a fixed salary for the 18 year olds hurts their ability to bargain; i’d also make it so that time spent in the g-league/drafted counts towards nba service time for the purposes of salary but allowing teams to start the rookie/rfa clock when the player first agrees to an nba contract

Yeah, that would make sense. You'd need to make sure you preserved your RFA clock, but otherwise you could set it up like that. Maybe give a bonus on rookie contracts if they had gone through the G-League or something.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

xbilkis posted:

I know the NCAA is an awful exploitative institution, but if I'm an 18 year old kid who's got millions coming my way in a year either way, I'm still probably going to opt for a year as a superstar on a campus with thousands of people my age unless foregoing college starts the clock on my second contract.

Yeah, I don't think this will destroy the NCAA system for guys, but at least it provides an alternative.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Well, when you get Dwight Howard why put him on the floor when you already have his locker room presence.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Vivek Knew.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think D'Lo might just be bad and Magic made a good trade afterall.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

zelah posted:

Are there any teams who have maintained the majority of their roster but dropped from 1-4 seed to 9+ the next season? If 2 or more of Lillard, CJ, Nurkic miss a lot of time due to injury, sure, but outside of that I’m not seeing them missing the playoffs.

Teams have lost 3 or 4 more games one season to the next, which would likely take them out of the hunt. I don't think that is an indictment against the Blazers, but more that they are like 7 teams that are going to be gunning for 4 spots in the West and Portland doesn't look like they are ahead of that pack at all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This sums up the fatalistic, fickle nature of MN sports fans in general. The worst thing the wolves could do is make the playoffs but not be a top team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Adam Silver isn't the one who decides when that rule is changed, the rule change committee does.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's ok, he says it's just a quad injury.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Goons, I apologize in advance for this. I lurk hard here and I am just doing this one time since the guys asked me to do this.

I run the SA General Gaming discord, got 1,000 goons who play all kinds of games and we created an NBA channel that gets a lot of movement since the new season is finally here. And I learned we have a poo poo load of basketball fans.

I just wanted to welcome anybody who wants to come in and talk the games.

Link: https://discord.gg/364rsdd

I’m a season ticket holder to the Pels games so my love for the unibrow and Julius Randle and Kentucky South is very real.

Oh, and I love Boban. He is a good man.

Sweet, you should post here more too, though

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I think Kahwi stays and the raptors also sign Johnny Butler

You think Butler will take a taxpayer's MLE?

euphronius posted:

Did all the nba coaches get together and agree to turbocharge pace ?

Dante80 posted:

Pace is going up but it's crawling up.

Pace of the average team:
2018: 96.8
2017: 96.2
2016: 95.7
2015: 93.9
2014: 93.6

Pace is always higher early in the season. The Jan/Feb pace numbers are usually lower.
Last year's first ~month
https://stats.nba.com/teams/advance...=11%2F30%2F2017

vs Feb
https://stats.nba.com/teams/advance...=02%2F28%2F2018

Eyeballing looks almost a full possession slower.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ingram should eat the biggest suspension for his shove and flying tiger punch. That dude was looking for a fight from the start.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

In 3 games Minnesota is the 2nd best offensive team, 3rd worst defensive team. Exaggerated D'Antoni was not the career arc I expected from Thibs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

We've seriously had enough fodder for like 4 solid Game of Zones and it's been 5 days

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Did you see what the Kings put up against the Jazz

Kings v Timberwolves is going to be as 400 point game but still be within 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

chunkles posted:

The shot clock resets to 14 seconds now

Pace isn't much faster than it usually is, and pretty inline with what it was early last season. Teams are more efficient though:

17 teams with an ORTG above 110 this year
https://www.basketball-reference.co...A&order_by=wins

Only 8 last year
https://www.basketball-reference.co...A&order_by=wins

And only 8 in the first 4 games too
https://www.basketball-reference.co...rder_by=off_rtg

Teams are legit scoring better right now, I expect that will regress to the mean pretty soon though.

• Locked thread