Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32G179Izznw

Nine college guys got tricked into joining a running team and have ten months to get good enough to compete in Hakone Ekiden, a super intense relay race.

features a VERY good dog, important in sports

also these guys

Kurahara: Broody, dark running past

Haiji: Team captain, wily, friends with dog

Jotaro (left) and Jojiro (right): Twins, wanna mack on girls, interchangeable for now

Shindo: Nice, doesn't call his mother enough

King: Likes trivia. Job plans: uhhhhhh?

Prince: Books, probably going to die

Nico: Not a Love Live, going to finish college Eventually

Yuki: Law student, likes clubbing?, high strung

Musa: Polite, foreign exchange student

This show has plenty of well executed comedic timing, nice running animation, and interesting tension set up between the gang since not everyone wants to get in on this whole marathon thing. Highly reccomend if you like sports shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's so good

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love this anime so much

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Haiji is the best charismatic scumbag ever.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Haiji is the best charismatic scumbag ever.

the sequence in ep 2 where he was breaking people down was soooo good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Thank you for making this thread

This show is just a good chill time. I'm glad we seem to be getting some drama, cause so far the main character is def the least fun.

Prince is going to be the shows Yamaguchi and when he does some clutch poo poo, it's going to own

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/AshitanoGin/status/1052278659564879872?s=19

After watching Shirobako to see how anime is usually made I am extremely impressed by this feat of artistry.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Erg posted:

:hai:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the wind noise was back in ep3, it's cool how they use that to show Kurahara's focus when he's running

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Erg posted:

there's some of that in ep 3 and it's clearly going to be a fixture of the show, I'm pumped

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

There's many broody sports boys out there but Kurahara sticks out for both depth of brood and level of anger. I also like him a lot, I find him really sympathetic. I get the sense that he was in a really bad place before the story begins, and that he'll stay no matter how weird it gets because he doesn't have anything to go back to. I like that when he tells someone off he's usually right lol

I've watched sports shows where characters like him zap the energy out of things but his presence works in this one's favor. Like it takes something sweet and funny and makes it ring more true, if that makes sense.

Anyway show loving rules.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

an actual dog posted:

There's many broody sports boys out there but Kurahara sticks out for both depth of brood and level of anger. I also like him a lot, I find him really sympathetic. I get the sense that he was in a really bad place before the story begins, and that he'll stay no matter how weird it gets because he doesn't have anything to go back to. I like that when he tells someone off he's usually right lol

I've watched sports shows where characters like him zap the energy out of things but his presence works in this one's favor. Like it takes something sweet and funny and makes it ring more true, if that makes sense.

Anyway show loving rules.
My post was super bare bones, but yeah I agree with this.

I'm glad the drama seems to be ramping up because I want to empathize with him, it's just tricky for me to without specifics. I'm also glad they're addressing it early because him just being a crushing realist could run out of steam really fast so I expect to like him a lot more by the end of next episode.

With 23/24 episodes this feels like a really slow burn show but im already fiending for some good character development, not because im bored, but im excited to love these boys more

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 17, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

lol good work Haiji

Looking forward to seeing what Kurahara's sports-related trauma is next week

Knorth fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 17, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Wasn't expecting Prince to pull out the motivational speech this episode, but it was a good one.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

That was great in every way and Kurahara is so sweet under the brooding I love him. I don't think I'll be over that "see you soon". And yea Prince was great, I like the very natural meta jokes.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

this was a nice touch

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1054842339322142720

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love Prince, he's def my fave so far. He love that he's a sincere "loser" that doesn't care he's a loser and I like that the he has his own separate social circle. I'm also really warming to Kurahura, his flashbacks told a lot without saying much and there's still left unexplored with the "You gonna hit me again?"

I'm glad this has a slower pace, but I can't help but feel this might do better on a deeper binge watch. The episodes really fly by and I'm dying to see more of their interactions. Musa and Yuki felt cool cause so far it feels like everyone in the house has like the one guy they talk to and I don't think they've spoken yet. I know it's supposed to sell that these ten guys aren't super close despite living together, but I wanna see my boys be bffs already

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I love this show goddamn. I’ve been telling my friends that I’m pissed off they never do college sports anime, only HS ones and finally we got this. Binged all 4 eps today, so loving good

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Pup is ready to run!

Any time they show Prince 'running' is amazing

Knorth fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 30, 2018

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Can't wait on the episode that will be focused on Prince having a Rocky Training Montage moment!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I identify with King way too much at this moment.

busydelicious
Jan 5, 2009

they call it chivalry
never pull a punch for free
This show is my favorite series of the season. It's also great that it helps get me psyched up before I go out on longer runs. The seasonal transition in the OP (especially the running in the rain and snow) is oddly moving. I hate running in those conditions, but you gotta get out there...

Anyways, this show is great and I love all the character dynamics so far.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Holy poo poo that first meet looks amazing and feels amazing, this show is so good. The top runner is so nice and I want to see him lose really badly.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Watching Prince get a treadmill was amusingly dramatic. Guess he'll need to put it to good use after the drama this episode.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I want to see prince get fast enough to qualify but still have the same running "form."

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Zerilan posted:

I want to see prince get fast enough to qualify but still have the same running "form."

He actually had pretty decent form when he was running on the treadmill holding manga in each hand! Maybe this will be his secret technique.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I haven't actually started this series yet (I'm more of a binge-watcher), but I just realized/found out it's based off a novel by Shion Miura, who wrote The Great Passage/Fune wo Amu, which I liked a lot.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh I didn't know that, awesome. Passage was great

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RIP Haiji, cheered so hard his arm flew off.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Just binge watched this show today and caught up. I love the dynamic of this show. I don’t know how to put it exactly but it’s like there’s this great battle with depression they’re supporting each other through. Like all the joking and laughing is their way of putting on a brave face for how far they have to go.

Like others said, in other anime the MC would suck the fun out of the story but here I find it compelling. We still don’t know the real specifics but whatever it was messed him up good. I liked his “oh poo poo” reaction to the captain actually legit angry for once, that ruled. I just hope the captain is ok. Like, aside from whatever physical issues he’s hiding, it feels like he’s either Been Through It mentally/emotionally as well, or possibly bottling up some depression/anxiety himself. I like him a lot. Even before any flashbacks, maybe even if I hadn’t seen the knee scars, in the early episodes there’s something in his face and the things he’s said that made me realize this dude has seen some poo poo.

Also the best scene so far has been the MC getting grayscale tunnelvision as his ghosts chase him. That was awesomely animated.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

episode 10 is prob my favorite so far

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Our Prince finally did it *-*

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lmfao this show owns, I extremely need to catch up. glad to hear it's kept up the quality, I fell off cause it felt more suitable to binging it later, but I might get back in early

e: for context, it's a jojo reference

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 6, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

3 week break after today's episode, with a return on Jan 8th. What will I do without my running boys? :negative:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This show is so drat good oh my god. :qq: I'm on ep 11 now, but goddamn Ep 10 was such a feel-good episode.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ep 13: his coach deserved it. The aa circle in the woods made me lol. Extremely good anime. I'd date Kurahara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

If you haven't picked this up again now that it's back from the break do it it rules