Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

Just saw this. It was good for a slasher, but it's faint praise. I'm a crotchety bastard, so prepare for an avalanche of big complaints and nitpicks.

The podcast couple were coincidentally located and killed by Michael for no reason other than for him to get his mask and so we could have the slomo scene of him putting it on.

Just wanna clarify here since the same complaint was mentioned earlier on the previous page.

The run in at the gas station wasn't a coincidence. The movie clearly shows Michael had been stalking the podcasters from the cemetery (at least). I also don't think it's a stretch for him to find them there either, since he knew they were investigating him and his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

plz dont pull out posted:

Just wanna clarify here since the same complaint was mentioned earlier on the previous page.

The run in at the gas station wasn't a coincidence. The movie clearly shows Michael had been stalking the podcasters from the cemetery (at least). I also don't think it's a stretch for him to find them there either, since he knew they were investigating him and his family.

True.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

X-O posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmHxSHWhwDM

I think 19:36 is my favorite track on the album.

that poo poo was tight when it came up in the movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jedit posted:

Well, it would be - it's called Wrought Iron Fence.

Nah it’s The Shape Hunts Allyson.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Saw this today and here's a cross post from the irritating movie moment thread

Saw the new Halloween today and I have some issues. They're all standard slasher flick things but here they are.

So Laurie opted to become a paranoid shut in prepper and make a bunker to hold up in. Okay cool I can get behind that.

Except her house had windows on the ground floor and I didn't see any bars.

Clutter everywhere which would provide hiding spaces for Michael

A mannequin room on the second floor

Closet doors everywhere to hide in

A safe room that could just be broken into by someone pushing a kitchen island really hard

And when they went to hold up there she shut off every light in the house while turning on floodlights outisde. Which makes it easier to see if someone is standing outside and looking in but also makes it easier for them to hide in your clutter or mannequin room.

Each room in the house had a security gate that she shut after searching it for the murderer. gently caress it batten down every hatch. You'll either secure him in a room where the only exit is making a loud noise and breaking something or trap him in a hallway where he can't move

At the end he's trapped in the basement and can't get out. But instead of shooting him a few more times they just decide to set the house on fire and walk away? Shoot the bitch drat you

I liked it but man that last section

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Shooting Myers does nothing. Laurie saw him take 6 .38 rounds to the chest and walk it off. Light that fucker on fire imo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

sponges posted:

Shooting Myers does nothing. Laurie saw him take 6 .38 rounds to the chest and walk it off. Light that fucker on fire imo.

At least light him on fire in a way you can watch him burn.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The part where Michael Myers is surrounded by fire but still staring at them while the theme played owned enough to make it all worth it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Burning him won't do anything either, he'll just jump into another timeline.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Len posted:

At least light him on fire in a way you can watch him burn.

They didn’t appreciate that they’re in a horror movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Enormous missed opportunity not having Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’ playing on the TV at some point in the movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It just dawned on me the reason I found the part with where he is in that big open yard with the light that is set off by a motion sensor so scary was Michael doesn't set off the motion sensor . He's just there

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fun slasher movie, but I wish they would have cribbed more from John Carpenter. The overabundance of survivalism and boobytraps made it feel more like a Wes Craven film.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They kind of telegraphed the ending When the podcasters play the tape Loomis says on it as soon as he is killed they should incinerate the body immediately. I want to say that was a cut sound clip from 6 maybe?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 22, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hollismason posted:

They kind of telegraphed the ending When the podcasters play the tape Loomis says on it as soon as he is killed they should incinerate the body immediately. I want to say that was a cut sound clip from 6 maybe?

I think it was just an impersonator. I've seen all the movies many times, including three different cuts of 6 and do not remember that line in any of them. They did the same and used an impersonator in H20 as well even though they had the same lines as spoken by Donald Pleasence in a previous movie.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 22, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I honestly think the ending probably suffered the most in the editing room. it felt like there was originally more there, probably including a more definitive death for Myers, and Blumhouse stuck their fingers in the pot because ending a franchise that makes money is literally blasphemously offensive to Jason Blum.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

X-O posted:

I think it was just an impersonator. I've seen all the movies many times, including three different cuts of 6 and do not remember that line in any of them.

If that's a impersonator they got a real good one. I am pretty sure that is in fact some cutting room floor stuff from 6 or one of the movies.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

plz dont pull out posted:

Dammit I forgot that part somehow, possibly due to so much awesome poo poo to process. So basically the reporters might've been fine if they just didn't go to that loving cemetery to visit Judith's gravestone. I mean that place is a Michael magnet.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I look forward to the second viewing of it to see Michael in the background just standing there while people look around. I caught him a few times just standing by a house in one brief scene. When Lauries granddaughter is walking with her friend I thought I caught a glimpse of him off to the side of the screen when their walking down the street

This was done in the first film as well with the car just casually driving by in the background.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hollismason posted:

If that's a impersonator they got a real good one. I am pretty sure that is in fact some cutting room floor stuff from 6 or one of the movies.

I did a little digging and here's the answer: https://ew.com/movies/2018/10/21/halloween-donald-pleasence/

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

X-O posted:

I did a little digging and here's the answer: https://ew.com/movies/2018/10/21/halloween-donald-pleasence/

That's crazy he sounds just like him. Also crazy that there is a Donald Pleasance impersonator.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I was blown away by that too, when we got back from seeing it I

Hollismason posted:

It just dawned on me the reason I found the part with where he is in that big open yard with the light that is set off by a motion sensor so scary was Michael doesn't set off the motion sensor . He's just there

I really loved that about that scene so much.

I was genuinely impressed with how much of his face is straight up shown on screen but not in a way where you can really quite know what he looks like.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 22, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I honestly think the ending probably suffered the most in the editing room. it felt like there was originally more there, probably including a more definitive death for Myers, and Blumhouse stuck their fingers in the pot because ending a franchise that makes money is literally blasphemously offensive to Jason Blum.

I can agree with this. I thought for sure we were going to get a shot of Michael standing, staring quietly as he burns alive. Like you could almost see how it was staged for it, with the reaction shots.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fart City posted:

I can agree with this. I thought for sure we were going to get a shot of Michael standing, staring quietly as he burns alive. Like you could almost see how it was staged for it, with the reaction shots.

Maybe the half hour that was cut was literally a half hour of him burning to death in real time. :laffo:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Having a rough day? Watch our beloved Spooky Weed Grandpa attempt to play the Halloween theme on a Nintendo Labo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIRG6reVYLs

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

According to some people who saw the test screenings, the ending we got was completely re-shot. The original ending actually featured a less definitive end of Myers. Basically instead of the whole Laurie searching the house sequence, she goes outside because Allison shows up, gets into a knife fight with Michael (some shots of this were in one of the trailers) and he stabs her in the gut. Before he can kill her, her daughter shoots him in the heart with a crossbow. The Strode women leave and flag down the truck from the theatrical ending and Michael sits and watches them while bleeding out, but his breathing is still heard.

They also apparently cut a bunch of little connecting scenes to keep the runtime due to the new ending being longer. These included a scene where Cameron actually goes after Allison to explain things after the party scene, talks to her on the football field and then gets arrested when he drunkenly talks poo poo to a cop that is checking on them, his buddy then shows up and offers to walk Allison home.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Xenomrph posted:

Enormous missed opportunity not having Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’ playing on the TV at some point in the movie.

Honestly now I’m pissed off that they didn’t use this considering they stuffed in everything from a sheet ghost to a body disappearing from the lawn. The only satisfying explanation is that poster who suggested a Repo Man remake/reboot is the director’s future project

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I thought the parts that worked worked really well--the whole babysitter sequence, Laurie clearing the house. But the editing did feel strange and I really wish we had gotten more with the daughter and Laurie herself. There's a big chunk of movie where they kind of disappear or are on the periphery. Judy Greer too, to some degree (it felt like her reconciliation with her mother was handled with a couple of arbitrary lines of dialogue) although I agree with the above poster that she gives a pretty weak performance so maybe not.

I also thought it was strange how Laurie's Sarah Conner turn was handled--she's really not especially prepared for him at all. She's got these elaborate steel doors and the panic room/trap--but also the front door's lock is accessible through some decorative glass? There are exterior floodlights but not some kind of high power interior lighting? I hate this kind of tactical criticism but what is the characterization being pushed here? I almost feel like the better move is to just get her away from the prepared defenses in the house--have her decide to go into town to look for her granddaughter or something.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Horrible Taste posted:

They also apparently cut a bunch of little connecting scenes to keep the runtime due to the new ending being longer. These included a scene where Cameron actually goes after Allison to explain things after the party scene, talks to her on the football field and then gets arrested when he drunkenly talks poo poo to a cop that is checking on them, his buddy then shows up and offers to walk Allison home.

:stare: I loving CALLED IT.

Okay, that explains so much about why the movie felt kinda janky and lacking in connective tissue, and why the ending felt kind of weird: because it straight-up was lacking large chunks of its connective tissue, and the ending was a last-minute replacement. I really, really want the alternate cut to be made available now, because it sounds like it basically fixes most of my issues with the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like that end to that character more than what people expected. It's kind of perfect.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Do people like not understand what a trap is?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Horrible Taste posted:

According to some people who saw the test screenings, the ending we got was completely re-shot. The original ending actually featured a less definitive end of Myers. Basically instead of the whole Laurie searching the house sequence, she goes outside because Allison shows up, gets into a knife fight with Michael (some shots of this were in one of the trailers) and he stabs her in the gut. Before he can kill her, her daughter shoots him in the heart with a crossbow. The Strode women leave and flag down the truck from the theatrical ending and Michael sits and watches them while bleeding out, but his breathing is still heard.

Good call on reshooting the ending

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I liked that the movie took some potshots at true crime podcasters, mostly in the portrayal of the guy. He comes across as a sensationalist dickhead, wannabe journalist. I used to sit across from some girls at work who mainline that poo poo all day long and got really sick of the discussions they'd have about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Now I want to see a version where the Last Podcast on the Left guys go against Michael Myers.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sponges posted:

Good call on reshooting the ending

I mean, I'm gonna be honest, I really like that ending on paper and it seems like it would have matched the rest of the movie better.

Like, the movie as a whole uses Michael as an externalization of Laurie's grief and trauma, and while the reshot ending doesn't really gel with that at all, the original ending does so perfectly. It essentially leaves the movie on a note of "you can't kill your trauma outright, but you can come to terms with it and learn to face it" which is actually a pretty drat thoughtful message for a movie like this to have.

CelticPredator posted:

Now I want to see a version where the Last Podcast on the Left guys go against Michael Myers.

I'm gonna be honest, I kind of thought this was basically where the movie was going until the podcasters got turbo-ganked out of nowhere.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, I'm gonna be honest, I really like that ending on paper and it seems like it would have matched the rest of the movie better.

Like, the movie as a whole uses Michael as an externalization of Laurie's grief and trauma, and while the reshot ending doesn't really gel with that at all, the original ending does so perfectly. It essentially leaves the movie on a note of "you can't kill your trauma outright, but you can come to terms with it and learn to face it" which is actually a pretty drat thoughtful message for a movie like this to have.

Out of curiosity, did you like the movie overall?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Casimir Radon posted:

I liked that the movie took some potshots at true crime podcasters, mostly in the portrayal of the guy. He comes across as a sensationalist dickhead, wannabe journalist. I used to sit across from some girls at work who mainline that poo poo all day long and got really sick of the discussions they'd have about it.

Yeah it felt topical without being cute, and I like how it characterized the level of notoriety of the original events.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sponges posted:

Out of curiosity, did you like the movie overall?

Honestly, I did. I didn't love it, for the reasons I've been explicating in here, but I did like it a lot, and I wouldn't ever tell someone not to see it unless I know they're not big on slashers or can't handle gore. Honestly, that's a lot of why the problems I had with the movie frustrate me so much, because this was about a hair's breadth away from being a perfect movie and those problems resulted in it just being Pretty Good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

porfiria posted:

I thought the parts that worked worked really well--the whole babysitter sequence, Laurie clearing the house. But the editing did feel strange and I really wish we had gotten more with the daughter and Laurie herself. There's a big chunk of movie where they kind of disappear or are on the periphery. Judy Greer too, to some degree (it felt like her reconciliation with her mother was handled with a couple of arbitrary lines of dialogue) although I agree with the above poster that she gives a pretty weak performance so maybe not.

I also thought it was strange how Laurie's Sarah Conner turn was handled--she's really not especially prepared for him at all. She's got these elaborate steel doors and the panic room/trap--but also the front door's lock is accessible through some decorative glass? There are exterior floodlights but not some kind of high power interior lighting? I hate this kind of tactical criticism but what is the characterization being pushed here? I almost feel like the better move is to just get her away from the prepared defenses in the house--have her decide to go into town to look for her granddaughter or something.

I think a lot of those “gaps” in the security were intentional, because ultimately the “trap” for Michael doesn’t work if he doesn’t get inside the house, and Laurie planned it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Hollismason posted:

I love how he's silently teleporting around the entire movie but he's purposefully loud as gently caress in the gas station bathroom to scare the podcast lady