Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHuOtLTQ_1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K_y1TWBOvs

Halloween is the most important horror film of the 70s, the movie that launched the entire slasher genre, and one of John Carpenter's most successful and best films. It's also a very uneven franchise with completely broken continuity. Nonsense sequels, resurrections, druidic magic, reboots, remakes, webcams... this simple, grounded, low budget slasher film has a very bizarre legacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek1ePFp-nBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_-x4Dwz-rU

Which is probably why the new movie decided to ignore everything that came after the original. With Jamie Lee Curtis returning once more to the role of Laurie Strode, the only survivor of Michael Myers' massacre all those years ago, with John Carpenter himself doing the score and serving as a creative consultant, with Jason Blum producing, and David Gordon Green and Danny McBride executive producing, this latest, and purportedly final installment in the Halloween series has a ton of passion and talent behind it, good critical reception(especially if you keep in mind horror movies always have a tough time with critics), and is projected to make all the loving money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl0c2IjQofQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWb-Jkqecpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKyu4DX9f1o

Having a new installment to such a classic horror property, let alone one that has some of the original people involved, is a pretty rare thing in this age of soulless remakes and tangled legal nightmares. The fact that it seems like this movie just happens to be loving awesome is the cherry on top. This thread is for discussing both the film and the franchise, wild and wacky as it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7-uC0LDllM

Spoiler tags are probably recommended until at least monday.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

There's no way in hell they won't make a sequel to this. We never actually see him die and we hear him breathing at the end of the credits. Plus $$$

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

;_;7 to the heroic
boyfriend who bravely marched to his death in hopes of some more dry loving.

It's pretty good. Brutal kills and an interesting protag.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Spatulater bro! posted:

There's no way in hell they won't make a sequel to this. We never actually see him die and we hear him breathing at the end of the credits. Plus $$$
Yeah, exactly what I thought. Carpenter said this is the "final" Halloween film but it sure as hell doesn't feel that way from the ending.

Loved this movie and I'm already planning on seeing it again. Tense as gently caress, especially in the last act. Michael has some really brutal kills. Laurie weaponizes her PTSD and is badass for it.

Like I said in the horror thread, the original is obviously still my favorite, but I'm not sure whether this or Rob Zombie's Halloween II is my second favorite Halloween movie with Michael Myers in it. I enjoyed both of those a lot, but in different ways. Not even sure where to rank Halloween III, because I love that batshit insane movie but it has nothing to do with the rest of the series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Halloween III is a great horror film. I just wish it was titled something else because it gets poo poo on just because it’s the weird one without Michael.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

X-O posted:

Halloween III is a great horror film. I just wish it was titled something else because it gets poo poo on just because it’s the weird one without Michael.

The people who haven't gotten over that are poo poo heads. gently caress 'em. I'm glad it's called Halloween, because it's what the franchise should've been.

That being said, this new one rules. I want more Green/McBride horror. gently caress throw Jody Hill up in there too. I loved it a whole lot and I'm not even a huge fan of the series outside of 1 and 3. 3 being my favorite honestly. So I was obviously glad when a pretty great nod to that film came on screen.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm gonna be perfectly honestly, i'm very bummed that her lovely boyfriend didn't get got. i was hoping he would go try and find her at the house their friend was babysitting and meet the wrong end of a knife or something, but watching a Nice Guy get rejected and then speared on a gate was a nice backup. i also was really bummed when the babysitter friend got killed, she reminded me of Brie Larson for some reason.

I will say the moment that the young dancer/hunter boy got strangled in the car is the moment everyone shut up and started really paying attention. Made the stakes very real.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly, I don't think anyone in this film deserved to die, especially as bad as they did. (Except for that one character, the one who did an actual crime...) which I found kind of great actually? Even the lovely ones weren't completely awful. Each character had flaws, but weren't written off as pure poo poo worthy of being killed so horribly.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i liked this movie but i feel that some of the more pointless kills took away from the movie. A lot of better decisions were made by some of the characters, but i feel like it fell into too many typical slasher tropes that the movie wouldn't have been any worse for by avoiding. It kind of causes a desensitation with some of the pointless deaths at the gas station and the random home invasions. It was neat to see the Strode character be as prepared as she was. Also the kid that was being babysat was the best character in the film.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

DC Murderverse posted:

I will say the moment that the young dancer/hunter boy got strangled in the car is the moment everyone shut up and started really paying attention. Made the stakes very real.

I’m a fan of slasher movies that aren’t above the odd child death.

The way they tackled this sequel (borrow some choice story beats from the original, add tons of visual references) reminded me of “Jurassic World.” I didn’t like it as much as I wanted but it was entertaining and wasn’t actively awful like a lot of the Halloween sequels became. I feel like they should stop while they’re ahead with this one because there’s not much juice left to be squeezed from this franchise at this point (but like “Jurassic World” I know we’ll get at least one really lovely sequel). They should just go crazy and remake 3 and call it “Season of the Witch.”

warez fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 19, 2018

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm gonna be perfectly honestly, i'm very bummed that her lovely boyfriend didn't get got. i was hoping he would go try and find her at the house their friend was babysitting and meet the wrong end of a knife or something, but watching a Nice Guy get rejected and then speared on a gate was a nice backup. i also was really bummed when the babysitter friend got killed, she reminded me of Brie Larson for some reason.

I'll argue that it made Michael walking near the crib one of the tense scenes in the movie, even if brief.

I also liked the dialogue between dancer kid and his dad. You could tell they both loved and cared about each other, and it wasn't some miserable poo poo family like you'd see in the Rob Zombie movies.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 19, 2018

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

DC Murderverse posted:

I agree with all this. When that Nice Guy showed his agenda, a chunk of the audience groaned and we all knew he wouldn't be around much longer. I was rooting for the death of Bad Boyfriend too, but as satisfying as that would have been, letting him peace out of the rest of the movie may have been a better choice. Some of the kills lined up with traditional slasher sins, and others were wrong place/wrong time situations. But having the boyfriend stay safe while Michael was doing random home invasions really worked for me. It was a reminder that this movie was trying to be both familiar and a little unexpected, and it also emphasized Michael's drive to kill. This Michael is totally incapable of walking past any potential victim who's isolated enough to attack. Bad Boyfriend's too selfish to be that vulnerable though; he wouldn't have gone after Allison even if he'd known she was in danger. In a real-life emergency, that type of selfishness might help someone survive, so it's interesting to see a shithead character in a horror movie benefit from it for once.

I really liked the movie. It had so many fun little touches and references to the rest of the series, but it never just relied on that nostalgia. My husband tolerates slasher movies but has never really been into them, and he kept telling me how surprised he was that he enjoyed it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like how hard this movie avoided a direct headshot on Michael, to the point where a character creates a somewhat silly plot twist to intervene and stop a person would would have done it from doing it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darko posted:

I like how hard this movie avoided a direct headshot on Michael, to the point where a character creates a somewhat silly plot twist to intervene and stop a person would would have done it from doing it.

Oh man that plot twist, I'm actually accepting of it because it was short, moved characters were they had to go, and setup the head stomp....also credits some interesting mystery on whether Michael totally caused the bus crash and why even allow the podcast people in the prison in the first place. Truthfully my first reaction was Oh god now Michael is really dead and it's going to be this dude in a mask for the rest of the movie

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Truthfully my first reaction was Oh god now Michael is really dead and it's going to be this dude in a mask for the rest of the movie

Mine too! So glad they didn't go there.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So like... did this movie get hosed in the editing room The Predator-style? It's nowhere near as glaring as that, but feels wonky in a lot of similar ways. Like, there's several characters that seem like they'll be importantish and just kind of vanish from the movie never to be seen again, at least one death feels really weird and abrupt, and while the ending sorta gels with what the movie's otherwise trying to do there's big things that undercut it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So like... did this movie get hosed in the editing room The Predator-style? It's nowhere near as glaring as that, but feels wonky in a lot of similar ways. Like, there's several characters that seem like they'll be importantish and just kind of vanish from the movie never to be seen again, at least one death feels really weird and abrupt, and while the ending sorta gels with what the movie's otherwise trying to do there's big things that undercut it.

Can you elaborate? I assume "several characters that seem like they'll be importantish and just kind of vanish" refers to the boyfriend?, but I'm not sure about your other points.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spatulater bro! posted:

Can you elaborate? I assume "several characters that seem like they'll be importantish and just kind of vanish" refers to the boyfriend?, but I'm not sure about your other points.

I don't think it's an issue, but I suspect he means the texas ranger looking investigator, but he was really just a device to cause plot movement. Maybe? I mean the movie was pretty logical by and large...well why he killed certain people is odd, but eh that's any slasher movie, most were logical

titty fat pizza
Jan 1, 2013
Spoiler free thoughts from a massive Halloween fan. The movie was great but they gave away too much in the previews. Or at least it feels that way because I watched the second trailer a good 50 times if not more. James Jude Courtney loving killed it as Michael and he is easily right up there with the best Michael ever. Jamie Lee was so good it didn’t even seem like she was acting. You can actually feel that Laurie suffered every day since Halloween 1978. All of the new characters sucked except for Artie, The Strongest Man In The World [Ray/Toby Huss] The ending loving SUCKED but it still didn’t hurt the movie overall too much. I wanted this movie to be a 10 out of 10 but honestly it is more like a 7 and that’s okay because it could have been far worse considering how they do horror movies these days.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I don't think it's an issue, but I suspect he means the texas ranger looking investigator, but he was really just a device to cause plot movement. Maybe? I mean the movie was pretty logical by and large...well why he killed certain people is odd, but eh that's any slasher movie, most were logical

Michael kills lone teens and adults if we use 1/this continuity. Also anyone with a gun that might be a danger to him. And will focus more on anyone that antagonizes him. He'll leave fellow psychotic people, groups and children alone if they ignore him or don't antagonize him in some way.

One of the best subtle "look in the background" scenes was when the female podcaster was in the gas station and Michael was beating someone to death, outside, in the background.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spatulater bro! posted:

The boyfriend, the little black kid, and the Texas Ranger-looking guy all just kind of vanish from the movie without any kind of followup. The babysitter's boyfriend dying is handled pretty weirdly; we see him gear up to fight Michael, and then he's just got the knife in his head when they investigate the house, and it feels like there should have been, like, something there in between. The movie as a whole seems like it's really trying to finally end this franchise, but then they're noticeably super coy about Myers actually dying and the whole fakeout with Laurie felt... generally odd. Also the hard left turn with Not Loomis kind of just comes out of nowhere and doesn't amount to hardly anything.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

titty fat pizza posted:

Spoiler free thoughts from a massive Halloween fan. The movie was great but they gave away too much in the previews. Or at least it feels that way because I watched the second trailer a good 50 times if not more. James Jude Courtney loving killed it as Michael and he is easily right up there with the best Michael ever. Jamie Lee was so good it didn’t even seem like she was acting. You can actually feel that Laurie suffered every day since Halloween 1978. All of the new characters sucked except for Artie, The Strongest Man In The World [Ray/Toby Huss] The ending loving SUCKED but it still didn’t hurt the movie overall too much. I wanted this movie to be a 10 out of 10 but honestly it is more like a 7 and that’s okay because it could have been far worse considering how they do horror movies these days.

Holy poo poo that was Artie. I didn't even realize that, I just felt he seemed to old to be the husband. I actually liked Judy Greer a lot in terms of how the character progressed.

One nice thing about the movie was it was really nicely shot in terms of lighting, but also shot composition (which is a huge factor in making the original so good) was great. I love the way Michael murders the gas station guy and it's very much in the periphery of the shot.

One thing I'm interested in is Did the doctor trigger the bus crash?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The boyfriend, the little black kid, and the Texas Ranger-looking guy all just kind of vanish from the movie without any kind of followup. The babysitter's boyfriend dying is handled pretty weirdly; we see him gear up to fight Michael, and then he's just got the knife in his head when they investigate the house, and it feels like there should have been, like, something there in between. The movie as a whole seems like it's really trying to finally end this franchise, but then they're noticeably super coy about Myers actually dying and the whole fakeout with Laurie felt... generally odd. Also the hard left turn with Not Loomis kind of just comes out of nowhere and doesn't amount to hardly anything.

Regarding the dry gently caress guy[spoiler]I actually liked that a lot. I mean [spoiler] dude was high, lanky, and well Michael is going to wreck his poo poo with ease. The black kid isn't really different from Tommy and Lindsey disappearing after running out in the original.

Darko posted:

Michael kills lone teens and adults if we use 1/this continuity. Also anyone with a gun that might be a danger to him. And will focus more on anyone that antagonizes him. He'll leave fellow psychotic people, groups and children alone if they ignore him or don't antagonize him in some way.

One of the best subtle "look in the background" scenes was when the female podcaster was in the gas station and Michael was beating someone to death, outside, in the background.

Yeah the framing of that scene was magnificent.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 19, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Good points, though I saw the babysitter's boyfriend's abrupt death reveal as a punchline to the little boy's line "you're going to die if you go up there".

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

BTW that little boy stole the drat show. My theater was roaring.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah, the lack of reaction to the jokes (which were actually mostly funny) was the one downside of seeing the movie in a theater with only 4 other people.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Spatulater bro! posted:

I was so so so worried that he was going to eat it. I don't recall ever rooting so hard for someone other than the killer in a slasher flick, so that was a new experience.

I'm also if the mind that a lot was cut either in post production or in the script stage. As I mentioned earlier, there was supposed to be a big setup in the original Strode house but that didn't make it in, so they used the interiors in Laurie's house at the end. I'm sure there was other stuff that got cut as well.

Honestly it's been over a month since I saw Halloween and I still don't know how the Pineapple Express guy made the best horror sequel in years, maybe ever.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

The main thing that surprised me was that I thought for sure that Michael and Laurie would both die, especially after the doctor theorized that they survive based on being predator and prey respectively. But I'm happy that she made it out alive.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The flip on Laurie being "Michael" was probably my favorite thing in the whole film. The shot with her across the street while her grandaughter looks out the window, her falling, Mike looking, and she's gone was so loving great. The theater loved the hell out of that. Really good homage that felt natural instead of forced.

I also adored Judy Greer's, "got ya."

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the little kids dialogue definitely felt like it had danny mcbrides fingerprints on it. also judy greer killed it in this movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

titty fat pizza posted:

Jamie Lee was so good it didn’t even seem like she was acting. You can actually feel that Laurie suffered every day since Halloween 1978.

She really was great in this. Like despite how powerful I totally bought the scenes where she's able to briefly go toe to toe with him without just immediately being killed. Like you could just FEEL her anger and rage coming through the screen it was awesome and she totally sold it. These scenes towards the end were all intense as hell and looked great.

CelticPredator posted:

The flip on Laurie being "Michael" was probably my favorite thing in the whole film. The shot with her across the street while her grandaughter looks out the window, her falling, Mike looking, and she's gone was so loving great. The theater loved the hell out of that. Really good homage that felt natural instead of forced.

I really like that the movie has so many references to other Halloween stuff that seamlessly worked both as fun nods to the franchise but also were active parts of developing the new movie's story and characters. That was genuinely impressive, even down to Jamie's line "So you're the new Loomis" and how it's delivered and her disappointment in the guy because she agreed with Loomis 100%.

I feel stupid asking this but when Michael's walking around town while everyone's trick-or-treating/going to parties, were the couple dressed as the Dr. and nurse supposed to be the kid's parents? When the kid bolts to get help I thought he said pretty clearly he was going to his mom and that dry hump unreliable boyfriend guy was as good as dead which is why he just runs out and vanishes in the first place. Like I didn't think he mysteriously vanished from existence or that that was a plot gap I mean the kid sees first hand the boogeyman/Michael is real and does what any smart person would do.

There are a lot of moments like that in the movie where yeah maybe it would have been nice to see where specifically someone went or what specifically someone was doing but I think the pacing movie was all the better for it. It's a movie about the Strodes and Michael and doesn't really stray too far from that.

I DO think I would have liked to have seen maybe one more scene with Michael's Dr. before that particular moment, but I loved the way he's bandaged up and hunched over after the police help him out, it IMMEDIATELY conjured imagery of a straitjacket to me and made me think of him as a Renfield to Michael's Dracula before the twist even happened, but the way the twist played out and how suddenly it went down did feel a little abrupt. Pretty in character for Michael though. :haw:

I think my favorite though was the poo poo just got real moment for the younger daughter she comes into contact with Michael for the first time - It's a great poo poo-just-got-real moment for someone trying to understand her grandmother, and the movie has a 16mm filter on it for during several of those moments where she's most freaked out

This was awesome to see in a theater because people were 100% into it and equally laughing at the stuff that was legit funny and gasping an oh poo poo for stuff the intense stuff and you could feel people on the edge of their seats for like the entire climax.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 19, 2018

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Laurie going all Sarah Connor was great. This movie ruled. I totally have to see it again as I missed the gas station background stuff

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Halloween's one of my top five favourite movies. I had huge expectations for this. Fortunately it didn't disappoint—although it wasn't scary. More thrilling and cathartic. That ending was so abrupt and loose enough that we're going to be a sequel. We don't see Michael even burning and they're setting up something ominous with the granddaughter. Hopefully Julian also returns for it.

Anyone else think for a split second that we were going to get a Gone Girl-rear end plot reversal where Michael actually died after getting run over by Hawkins and the Doctor would take over in the climax?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The first half definitely lacks focus, but man, the second half is good.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

CelticPredator posted:

Haha, this got cheers at the theater.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
More than that, I loved Jamie Lee Curtis’ face appearing in the darkness behind Michael. The burning was definitely a Halloween 2 reference, right?

Long live Reggie the Reckless Jr.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Halloween 1.25 is a decent remake with enough subverted elements. I enjoyed it, still.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Acknowledging its flaws, I really enjoyed this. Michael Myers felt really scary again and Jamie Lee Curtis was great.

Wasn't super into the Doctor plot twist, but I appreciated the ambiguity it created around whether or not Michael gave a poo poo about Laurie Strode at all, or if he was just continuing to kill whoever was closest.

One of the IMDB trivia items says Green's initial rough cut of the movie was a half hour longer than what we got, so I'm guessing that's where cowboy hat man went.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i will look forward to buying the extended bluray

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blast Fantasto posted:

One of the IMDB trivia items says Green's initial rough cut of the movie was a half hour longer than what we got

Ha, I loving called it

Wonder why they didn't just release it at a 2 hour length? Blumhouse isn't a stranger to weirdly long horror movies, Conjuring 2 was nearly 2.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ha, I loving called it

Wonder why they didn't just release it at a 2 hour length? Blumhouse isn't a stranger to weirdly long horror movies, Conjuring 2 was nearly 2.5.

It was probably edits for pacing rather than any sort of production interference. The movie was pretty well paced in its current state, if it was 20 minutes longer it could have felt overstuffed.