Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

double nine posted:

just got started with this and I have a few user questions: when I use the watch to enter a memory/past scene, at some point the screen swirls to black and a little audio clip will play. Do I need to zoom in to a specific character to trigger this, is it on a timer, do I need to move into a specific place in a scene?

Is the weird swirly effect around the pocket watch explained? It starts showing up after solving the first/last "the end" chapter. I'm assuming it's plot related but I don't know what to think of it, do the bodies show up, is the player character corpse-blind at first ...

Those bodies have been removed for whatever reason, so you encounter the body in a flashback and then the watch can make like a hologram of the body where you encountered it to jump into that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

right. What's the best use for bookmarks? Just bookmark every memory characters are in?

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
You'll want to use that one character at a time when you're having trouble figuring out who someone is. A lot of characters are present in a scene but are nowhere near the focus. You can find clues like who they're friends with, where they work, and so on.

Mordecai fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 2, 2019

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that was a fun ride. I'm going to go through the thread because I don't see how you can deduct who is in some cases without some guesswork - bald guy in striped shirt being one of them, some of the seamen (eheheh), as well as which one is a carpenter and which one is carpenter apprentice.

Overall thoughts as I played?

chapter: the end: "oh captain, you naughty boy, what did you do...?"
chapter: doom: "Captain, what did you do?!!"
Chapter: warriors from the sea: "Captain. WHAT. THE HELL. DID YOU DO?!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

For the carpenter & mate: There's a scene in Unholy Captives, I think when the cook bites it, where they're both in the carpenter's workshop but one of them is stepping out to peep some awesome fish tits while the other continues working. That tells you which one has seniority.

The carpenter's mate also says "I've got this boss!" in the scene where he dies, and the carpenter is crouched behind him saying "No get down!" and trying to pull him to safety.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Funny, I came to the inverted conclusion in your first clue. I didn't pick up on the second clue.

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005

double nine posted:

Funny, I came to the inverted conclusion in your first clue. I didn't pick up on the second clue.

I did the same thing you did. I already had two fates solved correctly so I tried it the wrong way first, then switched the people and got my third fate right and the set locked in. Which I feel a bit bad about, I'm trying not to do TOO much guessing like that. But it also feels like I'm forcing it too much if I wait until I fully get the clues for something like that where I'm fairly positive it's one person.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

blackcross posted:

I did the same thing you did. I already had two fates solved correctly so I tried it the wrong way first, then switched the people and got my third fate right and the set locked in. Which I feel a bit bad about, I'm trying not to do TOO much guessing like that. But it also feels like I'm forcing it too much if I wait until I fully get the clues for something like that where I'm fairly positive it's one person.

The only extra thing I'd like to have seen in game is functionality in the notebook to add some kind of notes where you're not positive but want to keep a reminder to say "this person is X, Y or Z" so that I could keep track of who I thought a person might be in-game when I wasn't certain. As it was I usually ended up sticking in a random person of the right job as a reminder (and sometimes accidentally then getting it right ) instead of noting it down on paper outside the game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I want the ability to take in-game notes, and the ability to fast-travel between already discovered memories. We already get a map with the location for the various memories, no reason why double clicking on them shouldn't allow us to go straight there

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The only extra thing I'd like to have seen in game is functionality in the notebook to add some kind of notes where you're not positive but want to keep a reminder to say "this person is X, Y or Z" so that I could keep track of who I thought a person might be in-game when I wasn't certain. As it was I usually ended up sticking in a random person of the right job as a reminder (and sometimes accidentally then getting it right ) instead of noting it down on paper outside the game.

There actually is a feature where you can list people as "Unknown Officer/Seaman/Topman" etc but I don't think it's ever mentioned by the game. So that's helped some when I know what their occupation is. But I've mostly been just scribbling down notes on a printed copy of the manifest I did.

Also MAN I wish I could find a picture of all the sketches online that I could print as well. It'd make it easier for me to track the people I still have left to identify instead of keep going to check.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

double nine posted:

that was a fun ride. I'm going to go through the thread because I don't see how you can deduct who is in some cases without some guesswork - bald guy in striped shirt being one of them, some of the seamen (eheheh), as well as which one is a carpenter and which one is carpenter apprentice.

well the bald guy with the striped shirt is always hanging around with the bosun. in the scene where the captain's steward murders a guy with a sword, the bosun has some rope and the bosun's mate is hauling the guy away. when the bosun's arm is torn off by the kraken, the mate is right there stabbing the kraken with a spear and that's the last we see of him. as the bosun is dying he asks about his mate, who is seen no longer. basically in terms of big glaring clues, it goes 'one character says someone else's name' and then 'these dudes hang out with each other a lot' - the carpenters, the mates and their stewards, the various ethnic groups of sailors, the midshipmen and their uniforms, etc.

and as noted above in the scene where the carpenter's mate is killed, he says "get down boss" and then immediately lets out a death rattle while the carpenter ducks in horror behind him

honestly i think the biggest problem with the chinese topmen is there are six of them, where the indian seamen get narrowed down quickly due to illness, there's only three russians, and most other ethnic groups are either too broad to be reliably identified like the anglos, or are one offs like the dane, the swede, the new guinean, the two germans who are identified by specific jobs, etc. but when you're trying to untangle the topmen there's six guys so good luck with that

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

luxury handset posted:

honestly i think the biggest problem with the chinese topmen is there are six of them, where the indian seamen get narrowed down quickly due to illness, there's only three russians, and most other ethnic groups are either too broad to be reliably identified like the anglos, or are one offs like the dane, the swede, the new guinean, the two germans who are identified by specific jobs, etc. but when you're trying to untangle the topmen there's six guys so good luck with that

Look at their feet while they're sleeping.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Really Pants posted:

The carpenter's mate also says "I've got this boss!" in the scene where he dies, and the carpenter is crouched behind him saying "No get down!" and trying to pull him to safety.

Thanks for reminding me how badass the two of them are, the carpenter especially goes out like a hero!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
both americans die like true americans and it's great

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm replaying the game, trying to figure out what prompts it to tell you that you can identify someone based on the memories you've been in. Everything about that made sense until I got to Chapter II, Part 2, the one where most of the topmen and seamen are in numbered hammocks, without touching Chapters I, IV, V or VI. Some of the faces that unblur don't make sense to me based on what evidence I think I have; I don't know how I can identify Walker (the topman who stabs the captain in The End) this early, nor why it's not similarly possible to tag Omid Gul. I'm gonna keep at it for now, though.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
You already know this, but the triangles indicating how difficult it would be to deduct one's identity are an additional thing to keep in mind.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Solitair posted:

I'm replaying the game, trying to figure out what prompts it to tell you that you can identify someone based on the memories you've been in. Everything about that made sense until I got to Chapter II, Part 2, the one where most of the topmen and seamen are in numbered hammocks, without touching Chapters I, IV, V or VI. Some of the faces that unblur don't make sense to me based on what evidence I think I have; I don't know how I can identify Walker (the topman who stabs the captain in The End) this early, nor why it's not similarly possible to tag Omid Gul. I'm gonna keep at it for now, though.

Clue:
One of the key extra revelations that gets missed is that the scene where Syed dies is not the only scene with hammocks. There's a few other scenes which take place at night, and only crewmen still alive have their hammocks hung up.

Answer:
You can identify Walker based on the fact him climbing all over the rigging in other scenes suggests he is a topman, and there's four white topmen. After the Syed scene, you can positively identify the russian and the one with the tattoo, narrowing the possible identities to two, but if you look at the hammocks still hung up in the Doom, Walker's hammock is present and the other guy's hammock is missing

Not sure about Gul.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Reveilled posted:

Not sure about Gul.

Don't you see his unusual weapon by his hammock at some point?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Don't you see his unusual weapon by his hammock at some point?

Yep, he also brandishes it on multiple occasions. The way he dresses is also a give-away.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
What I mean is, I'm not sure why the game thinks you can't identify Gul sooner.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Reveilled posted:

Clue:
One of the key extra revelations that gets missed is that the scene where Syed dies is not the only scene with hammocks. There's a few other scenes which take place at night, and only crewmen still alive have their hammocks hung up.

Answer:
You can identify Walker based on the fact him climbing all over the rigging in other scenes suggests he is a topman, and there's four white topmen. After the Syed scene, you can positively identify the russian and the one with the tattoo, narrowing the possible identities to two, but if you look at the hammocks still hung up in the Doom, Walker's hammock is present and the other guy's hammock is missing

Not sure about Gul.

Yeah, I figured that out right after I posted and did some cross-referencing. As for Gul, I think I hadn't gotten a close enough look at him with his falchion, which I do during Soldiers of the Sea. Maybe the game doesn't account for combining his turban as an identifier of nationality with eliminating the Indians as possibilities (Did Indians wear turbans at the time?), which is how I identified him the first time around. It also didn't account for identifying the fourth mate once you can account for every other officer wearing bicornes and tricornes, or identifying the carpenter and his mate (calling him "boss" during Soldiers of the Sea) by eliminating all other mate/officer pairs.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Reveilled posted:

What I mean is, I'm not sure why the game thinks you can't identify Gul sooner.

because the game signals to you "you should identify this person now" is by unblurring the face. unblurring too many faces too quickly could make the game too confusing and difficult. gul is pretty easy because of his turban, just like maba with his tattoos. and if you miss the cow head and go to the murder chapter then you can spot the butcher during the execution scene because he's hanging out with the cook near some animals with a butchery tool in his hand

you can go ahead and identify people before their time, it's just that the game scolds you a bit for sequence breaking which is fine as the logic puzzle component of the game is already difficult enough without the mild hand holding of unblurring

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

As I do with games, I just ingnored everything but vague mentions of Pope making something else. And oh boy was this a great surprise. I didn't expect anything, barely knew it was about solving some mystery on a ship. I find it still uncanny how he manages to create such an awesome, dense atmosphere with "just" chosing the right things to display and the right things to hear.

I'm now at 40/60 and around 10h and the journey of that crew still makes me a bit sad whenever I visit some memories. Its a fantastic game.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Bought this out of the goon top games of 2018 thread, and it met expectations. I can’t believe how at the end of the game, after solving all fates, how attached I got to some of the characters. Even some of the bit players I was able to flip through their associated memories at the end, and remember exactly what they were doing in that memory, I lived the horror so deeply with them.

RIP, my heroic tattooed Frenchman bosuns mate, torn in two by the squid, only proved to be from New Guinea late in my investigation.

RIP Wolff and the other dude holding the cannon. My bad for saying that Lewis killed you for so long, since he was holding the match - forgetting that the cannon was lit before that scene.

RIP Russians, whom I constantly noticed your pipe smoking, then ignored it at your bunk while you were card sharking.

RIP Seaman Brennan, dying a traitor at the beginning of my investigation, but having some really brave moments fighting off the squid and crabmen

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005

Dalaram posted:

RIP Russians, whom I constantly noticed your pipe smoking, then ignored it at your bunk while you were card sharking.

re:Russians They were driving me crazy and when I finally noticed that pipe on his hammock, I yelled "AHHHHHH HE HAS A PIPE! YES!!!!" for about five minutes straight.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Oh yeah the Russians... they drove me crazy since I focused all on their dialogue in A Bitter Cold instead of thinking a bit further like the pipe...

Also this game evokes much empathy. I felt sorrow for almost the entire crew and the ship. Not the least thanks to the soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX5RJ4OgvPM.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

haldolium posted:

Oh yeah the Russians... they drove me crazy since I focused all on their dialogue in A Bitter Cold instead of thinking a bit further like the pipe...

On this note, are they speaking different dialects? The text has very different looking characters from Cyrillic in the second line

haldolium posted:

Also this game evokes much empathy. I felt sorrow for almost the entire crew and the ship. Not the least thanks to the soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX5RJ4OgvPM.

Yeah, the soundtrack is stuck in my head, and I love it.

Dalaram fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 13, 2019

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Man, I still wish there was some kind of replayibility for this drat game. As it is I'm waiting for my memories to fade enough to do another run. Maybe randomize the character models and names? Not sure how one would pull that off.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

nullscan posted:

Man, I still wish there was some kind of replayibility for this drat game. As it is I'm waiting for my memories to fade enough to do another run. Maybe randomize the character models and names? Not sure how one would pull that off.

Make someone else play it and experience it vicariously is the best you got right now.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

luxury handset posted:

because the game signals to you "you should identify this person now" is by unblurring the face. unblurring too many faces too quickly could make the game too confusing and difficult. gul is pretty easy because of his turban, just like maba with his tattoos. and if you miss the cow head and go to the murder chapter then you can spot the butcher during the execution scene because he's hanging out with the cook near some animals with a butchery tool in his hand

you can go ahead and identify people before their time, it's just that the game scolds you a bit for sequence breaking which is fine as the logic puzzle component of the game is already difficult enough without the mild hand holding of unblurring

What's your evidence for the notion that the one or two edge cases where someone can be positively identified before they're unblurred is a deliberate act of trying to avoid making the game too confusing? The game unblurrs loads of faces in scenes where it's entirely possible you might not even realise they're there (e.g. some of the topmen in the hammock scene) and often before they've died, meaning you have to realise you can identify someone straight from the sketches instead of waiting for their death. The game on the whole is very faithful to the notion that when you have enough info to identify someone they unblur, even if they have nothing to do with the main focus of a scene.

I don't think "the game deliberately lies about whether you have enough information to identify someone" makes more sense than "the game has a small error leaving Gul blurred after it's possible to conclusively ID him".

Blasmeister posted:

Make someone else play it and experience it vicariously is the best you got right now.

I watched my sister play through it and seeing her immediately identify the two women because "One has a wedding ring and one is called Miss, easy" stung a bit after how long that took me to work out.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 13, 2019

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Reveilled posted:

I watched my sister play through it and seeing her immediately identify the two women because "One has a wedding ring and one is called Miss, easy" stung a bit after how long that took me to work out.

My wife did exactly the same thing when we played it through.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

In western culture: Most women immediately notice wedding rings, or lack thereof. Most men don't.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Dominoes posted:

In western culture: Most women immediately notice wedding rings, or lack thereof. Most men don't.

I noticed immediately, but it was mostly a function of my early professional life, ring checking girls before I bothered chatting them up or buying them drinks.

So back on Maba Chat, is there some reasonable way to know that his tats are from New Zealand? I had him pegged as Celtic, before I thought he as french, before I finally had no other non-chinese topmen to say he was from NG.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dalaram posted:

So back on Maba Chat, is there some reasonable way to know that his tats are from New Zealand? I had him pegged as Celtic, before I thought he as french, before I finally had no other non-chinese topmen to say he was from NG.

Celtic symbols weren't a very popular tattoo style back around 1800.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

There's a seaman called Shirley that seems to just vanish between 2 scenes, I guessed he was killed by the cannon shot that killed Wollf and the game said that was right but there's no evidence of this as they would have both been killed at the same time and there's no way for him to have been thrown out of the ship faster than Wollf even hitting the floor?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Flannelette posted:

There's a seaman called Shirley that seems to just vanish between 2 scenes, I guessed he was killed by the cannon shot that killed Wollf and the game said that was right but there's no evidence of this as they would have both been killed at the same time and there's no way for him to have been thrown out of the ship faster than Wollf even hitting the floor?

yeah, this seems kinda BS. I spent a long time looking for the corpse, either in scene or after.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Flannelette posted:

He is standing in direct contact with the cannon's muzzle in another sailor's fate immediately preceding his demise. I assumed that given how close he was, when the cannon went off he got exploded to gently caress and that's why there's no body to identify.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Some of the Sheep posted:

He is standing in direct contact with the cannon's muzzle in another sailor's fate immediately preceding his demise. I assumed that given how close he was, when the cannon went off he got exploded to gently caress and that's why there's no body to identify.

For a game that is just carefully handcrafted 3d pictures having a guy be atomized is a bit of an oversight I would have had his lower half be in the scene as well at least.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Flannelette posted:

For a game that is just carefully handcrafted 3d pictures having a guy be atomized is a bit of an oversight I would have had his lower half be in the scene as well at least.

I agree, there should've been a slight hint about his vaporization. In the scene before, there is also a small tentacle winding through the window which isn't there anymore in the next. So assuming he got grabbed isn't far fetched either.

I did mark his death right the first time, but screwed up on his identity or so, so he became a pain at the end to figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Some of the Sheep posted:

iirc the intended implication is that the blast launched his body out of the ship entirely; I read once that you can also enter "drowned" for him and it works