Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And by the same logic, Dragon Slave won't work on Shabranigdo since, as Lina points out in the first season, that would basically be tantamount to asking him to help kill himself. I like how the spells are logically consistent like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Is it really supposed to be called Dragon Slave, or is it supposed to be Dragon Slay(er)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Is it really supposed to be called Dragon Slave, or is it supposed to be Dragon Slay(er)?

Not sure but it sounds like Slave to me and I think that's the name the dub uses as well. Slay would make sense though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 29, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's supposed to be dragon slave, but as a corruption of the original name, dragon slayer. lina didn't invent it, she just likes using it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

Was Slayer's based more on D&D or Sword World actually?
I think Mizuno (one of Sword World's creators and the writer of both Lodoss and Grancrest Senki) and Kanzaka are contemporaries and both based their creations around the same versions of D&D.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

It's Dragon Slave. There's a plot point in the first season that says the spell name derives from Dragon Slayer, but apparently that spell has been forgotten or somesuch. Author awareness of the Engrish of it all.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Is Buffy anime

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jon Joe posted:

Is Buffy anime

100%

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Interesting feedback on the setting of whatever show that is!

Slayers is D&D 100% but it predates all the meta "u are actually all in a game" trends and just keeps the story moving smoothly from plot point to plot point like any good DM would.

It's cool that a Slayers kingdom is just a town, a restaurant, and a castle or mansion that will most likely get blown up in the next 22 minutes. No reason to build any more world than necessary!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jon Joe posted:

Is Buffy anime
The Scooby Gang is like the proto-investigation team.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Welp, I'm 10 minutes into Slayers Ep 1. This is... amazing. It's got a real rapid fire to its humor that I don't really see all that much anymore. The best part is characters talking out loud right next to each other while they apparently can't hear each other. Except for Lina, who's hearing is exceptional. Definitely going to watch all 5 seasons.

EDIT: Yup, this is going to be a trip

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 30, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Onmi posted:

Welp, I'm 10 minutes into Slayers Ep 1. This is... amazing. It's got a real rapid fire to its humor that I don't really see all that much anymore. The best part is characters talking out loud right next to each other while they apparently can't hear each other. Except for Lina, who's hearing is exceptional. Definitely going to watch all 5 seasons.

Lina Inverse, the natural enemy of all who lives!

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Wark Say posted:

The Scooby Gang is like the proto-investigation team.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Onmi posted:

It's a good one.
I haven't watched Slayers in years, so I just started rewatching it. I don't even remember what parts I watched before.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The movies/OVAs are worth checking out in my opinion as well though I'm not sure if any of them are still available legally. The two OVA's and the first 4 movies take place before the first season and I don't believe require any prior knowledge to really get into them (and outside of a slight reference in the final season I don't believe any of them are actually called back to in the main series). I believe chronologically they go:

Slayers Excellent (at least the first one at any rate since that shows how Lina and Naga first met)
Slayers The Book of Spells (aka Slayers Special)
Slayers The Motion Picture (aka Slayers Perfect)
Slayers Return
Slayers Great
Slayers Gorgeous

Then lastly there's Slayers Premium which takes place after Try.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I bought the movies on Amazon a while back. But I can't find the other things anywhere.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

I bought the movies on Amazon a while back. But I can't find the other things anywhere.

I found the OVAs on some streaming sites like KissAnime and the like but I'm not sure if there's still any legal way to get them (don't remember if they were ever released on DVD or anything here).

All 5 seasons of the main series are on Crunchyroll (for now anyway) and Funimation's YouTube channel though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Problem there is that they are region locked. :negative:

I own the first 3 seasons on DVD, so it's not so bad, but it kinda sucks that my favorite show is so hard to share.

I'll just have to look into the illegal stuff for the hard-to-get series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of the movies/specials is it ever really explained in any Slayers related material how Lina went from traveling with Naga for a while to being by herself again by the time the series proper rolls around? Though then again, the suit of armor that temporarily joins them in Evolution-R is heavily implied to having been possessed by Naga's spirit (it has her mannerisms, voice actress and even does the laugh) which might indicate that she died at some point, Lina doesn't really seem to recognize her there as far as I can tell though.

Related, but is Naga actually from the novels or is she a creation of the anime writers?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
naga was from the novels, yeah. lina tended to randomly run into naga over and over more than they actually traveled together. i guess they just stopped.

revolution and evolution-r weren't based on any books, and they were kind of a rehash of other arcs. it was pretty good since it was slayers, but it didn't do anything new or take any risks. totally-not-naga showing up was a lazy way of adding a popular character, so i wouldn't read too much into it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Naga was originally going to be a one-shot character, but she was popular enough that she became a recurring character. Kanzaka couldn't figure out how to work her properly into volume 4 of the main line, so Amelia was created instead. And due to Amelia's presence, Naga wasn't going to make a proper appearance in the main series. For what it's worth, the mysterious and somewhat amnesiac owner of the soul that got transplanted into the armor was a treasure hunter that touched an urn (a Hellmaster's Jar?). Xellos freed whomever this unfortunate individual was by breaking it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently her real name is Gracia and she's actually Amelia's older sister, Evolution-R kind of hints at this though I believe Kanzaka stated it outright in an interview a while back.

That said, it is sort of weird that Xellos is the only one who recognizes her in that season while Lina doesn't seem to have a clue. But it's the closest thing we've gotten to some kind of resolution for Naga's character so I'll take it. I like the character but I'm not really sure I could stand a full season of her. Naga works best in small doses I feel.

Off the subject but due to not being able to find a subbed version of Great and Gorgeous I recently discovered that Lina is played by a different actress in the dub of the OVAs and early movies. Were those handled by a seperate company?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 31, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Naga was created by Kanzaka and is basically the secondary protag of the Slayers Special novels.

Larryb posted:

Apparently her real name is Gracia and she's actually Amelia's older sister, Evolution-R kind of hints at this though I believe Kanzaka stated it outright in an interview a while back.

That said, it is sort of weird that Xellos is the only one who recognizes her in that season while Lina doesn't seem to have a clue. But it's the closest thing we've gotten to some kind of resolution for Naga's character so I'll take it. I like the character but I'm not really sure I could stand a full season of her. Naga works best in small doses I feel.
Pretty much. Part of the reason you don't really get tired of Naga in the Special novels is that the novels themselves are fairly succinct and basically work as the Light Novel-equivalent of OVA's, so basically just imagine Naga as a prequel protag.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I love the idea behind Naga in the OVA's
It's almost like the producers challenge you. Sure you've got a sexy sorceress with barely any clothes bouncing around the place.
But she's so incredibly obnoxious and sounds like a tornado alarm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbfaF5otJv0

So... enjoy your fanservice I guess? I mean there's plenty of it. But dear GOD you have to be able to tolerate of lot if you want to enjoy it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
God, I'm pretty sure you could write a whole thesis on Naga.

Also I love in Slayers Gorgeous whenever the villains are having a hearty laugh, she's sure as hell right behind them laughing when they are laughing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

God, I'm pretty sure you could write a whole thesis on Naga.

Also I love in Slayers Gorgeous whenever the villains are having a hearty laugh, she's sure as hell right behind them laughing when they are laughing.

Also kudos to the dub actress for being able to recreate the laugh almost perfectly. But yeah, Naga is actually a fairly complex character but it's just that almost all her backstory comes from interviews and supplementary material (though you could probably say the same thing about Lina herself to be honest).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 31, 2018

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Kelly Manison is amazing yeah.

Would it be fair to consider Naga the queen of the Ojou-sama laugh?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mulderman posted:

Well, there's the Black Rose from Ranma 1/2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mulderman posted:

I haven't seen the dub of Evolution-R, how was the woman who voiced "Nama" in that?

Also, is Naga the one who first originated that particular laugh you sometimes hear in anime (I've sometimes heard it referred to as the "Naga Laugh" at any rate)?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think so, because the laugh is almost played for parody's sake, which is kinda amazing, considering how mainstay it has become after that.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

She is not the first. When it comes to anime it might very well be Black Rose from Ranma 1/2.
She undeniably took the crown though, by sheer volume alone.

Eva Kaminsky did the voice of Nama in Evolution-R

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Eva Kaminsky did the voice of Nama in Evolution-R

How was she in comparison to Kelly Manison (and can she pull off the laugh just as well)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 1, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
On episode 5 of Slayers. Man, Hayashibara, Koyasu and Midorikawa were all super young.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Halfway through Next now and I have to agree Give a Reason is sick as hell.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Glad to see people watching Slayers for the first (or second) time!

https://i.imgur.com/kN4k2Ty.gifv

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Slayers is great and I really hope the new novels result in more new media being made for it.

I would also love to check out that new novel. Though sadly that is unlikely for me.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I am completely adoring this anime, and Lina Inverse is excellent :allears:

Thanks for making this thread and motivating me to watch this goofy rear end 90s dnd anime

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cephas posted:

I am completely adoring this anime, and Lina Inverse is excellent :allears:

Thanks for making this thread and motivating me to watch this goofy rear end 90s dnd anime

Very much, same. I'd known about Slayers and seen clips but I'd never actually sat down to crunch it.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Mulderman posted:

The first 8 novels were translated and released by Tokyopop
The other 7 however remain untranslated. With no plans on translating them.
You can find some fan translations online, but the quality of those leaves much to be desired.

Honestly the Tokyopop releases left a lot to be desired as well. I can't speak to the quality of the translation but I'll absolutely complain about the typos and general lack of proofreading.

Wark Say posted:

I know this might not be much consolation, but most of the Slayers games that came out are fairly decent. Never played the PS One game, though.

A friend of mine and I brute forced our way through the Saturn releases with a half-baked spell list translation. I'm pretty sure Royal 2 was the one with a lot of branching choices between tactics levels so neither of us ever knew what was or even could be going on. Still fun.

Mordaedil posted:

There is a SNES Slayers game that got a romhack translation. The story ends up pulling one over you too.

Don't read it you don't mind a bit of spoiling:
While the game starts you out as Lina Inverse, you start off strangely weak and everyone comments on this, but it turns out you are a Lina clone and the real Lina is max level wrecking havoc around the countryside while you do the mainplot. So you can eventually team up with Lina as Lina. It's great.

The SNES game was a good time. My favorite part is that some of the characters you get in your party kind of just do what they want. Like no matter what you tell her to do there's a pretty good chance that Amelia will use Visfarank and Naga will choose some big splashy expensive spell even if you're fighting, like, a single wounded goblin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Slayers owns. I haven't watched it in years.. Gonna have to dig up my old DVD box sets. Might start with the "Book of Spells" box.

I've always been a big fan of Megumi Hayashibara's voice work too.