Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Zelgadiss is a fighter/mage or a type of gish.

Sharkopath posted:

Respect your fighters or we will unleash the horror again, we only gave up our power voluntarily to make our wizard friends happy.

Warblades, yo.

Sharkopath posted:

2nd edition fighters were the thing from It Follows and hit like trucks at any range, probably the only time they outpaced wizards.

But this still holds true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mulderman posted:

Amelia is more of a Monk. Zelgadis could be a Warlock I guess?

Amelia is clearly a D&D Cleric, complete with being a surprisingly potent mélée fighter.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I'm one episode into Next and the english voice acting already seems 100x better.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sylphiel is the monk.

Not a D&D expert, but can a straight-up monk cast divine spells? She's a priestess who can cast Dragon Slave.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I always thought Amelia is a Sorceress/Paladin. She uses the same spells as Lina. Zelgadis is the Cleric/Druid or whatever, the divine caster that gets decent melee and uses their own different spells from a different source.
Kind of a moot point, there was a D&D source book for Slayers if I remember correctly and probably uses custom classes based on the mechanics of core D&D.

They are pretty stacked on casters most of the time.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Paracelsus posted:

Not a D&D expert, but can a straight-up monk cast divine spells? She's a priestess who can cast Dragon Slave.

They can't. But it's not like you have to wonder when you can make Sylphiel in the Slayers d20 ruleset.

Sylphiel is a Noble 2/Priest 5/Shrine Maiden 10. She has detect evil, divine grace, divine health, fascinate, lay on hands, recognition, sense aura, sense evil, and has feats like combat casting, fast learner, oblivious, spell focus (white) and spell mastery (dragon slave, protection). She knows one single sorcery spell, dragon slave, and 7 other spells.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Zelgadis, and eventually Amelia, used magic that didnt come from demons or whatnot. It was like...I guess earth magic or something? I vaguely remember them saying something like the nature-sourced spells didn't have the sheer power of dark magic, but they could be used effectively against divine/demonic opponents.

It's been a couple years though, so I could be misremembering this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Astral magic, isn't it?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I think in the season 1 ep I just watched, they mention "shamanism magic" when talking about Zel

but he also used the same flare arrow that Lina uses so I think he might just be multiclass

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Zelgadis, and eventually Amelia, used magic that didnt come from demons or whatnot. It was like...I guess earth magic or something? I vaguely remember them saying something like the nature-sourced spells didn't have the sheer power of dark magic, but they could be used effectively against divine/demonic opponents.

It's been a couple years though, so I could be misremembering this.

I'm pretty sure they both share some of the same spells that Lina has but I seem to remember Amelia primarily using White Magic and hand to hand combat whereas, unlike Lina, Zelgadis happened to be pretty good at both spells and swordplay. I could be wrong though.

Also, I never saw the dub of Evolution R (I've only really seen part of the first season dubbed initially as well as Great and Gorgeous mainly because I couldn't find a subbed version, otherwise I've pretty much stuck to the Japanese version the whole way through) but how was Eva Kaminsky as "Nama"? Kelly Manison was almost perfectly cast as Naga in the movies and OVAs so I was just curious if the other English actress was just as good (or if Funimation even caught the reference since a different company handled the early films).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 12, 2018

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Wheat Loaf posted:

Astral magic, isn't it?

Yeah, that or shamanistic. It was something else like that!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

I'm pretty sure they both share some of the same spells that Lina has but I seem to remember Amelia primarily using White Magic and hand to hand combat whereas, unlike Lina, Zelgadis happened to be pretty good at both spells and swordplay. I could be wrong though.

Zelgadis was also an expert pistol marksman despite never having held or seen a gun before. And he also played the guitar.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Zelgadis was also an expert pistol marksman despite never having held or seen a gun before. And he also played the guitar.

So he's pretty much good at everything then.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

So he's pretty much good at everything then.

Except not being a chimaera.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Astral magic is a branch of shamanistic magic. It works through the Astral plane by attacking the target's Astral body; usually most effective on monsters/demons. One example is Ra Tilt which can be seen only having limited effect on ol' Ruby Eyes in showdown in the tower.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Except not being a chimaera.

:thurman:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bigmandan posted:

Astral magic is a branch of shamanistic magic. It works through the Astral plane by attacking the target's Astral body; usually most effective on monsters/demons. One example is Ra Tilt which can be seen only having limited effect on ol' Ruby Eyes in showdown in the tower.

I don't think it actually works on anyone until well into Next.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

P-Mack posted:

It's a weird spell, in that it basically only works at all on a narrow range of enemies, but it completely fucks those guys up. For a comedy show, Slayers leans pretty hard into consistency and a sort of game-balance in the setting. From my understanding, it was parodying game journals, the isekai-level craze of the time, so it makes sense.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

P-Mack posted:

You're in for a good time.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I started watching this show completely independently from finding this thread and rushed through season 1 in like three days.

Show is good. NEXT is shaping up to be even better.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have never seen this show, but I’d be down for a modern season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I have never seen this show, but I’d be down for a modern season.

Watch it, pretty much everything about it is great. Since it's still fairly popular in Japan and a new novel came out recently I'm still hoping we get a new season one day (or at the very least a movie), I'm pretty sure all the actors on both sides of the pond are still around and would probably be willing to come back at any rate.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I still can't get over the fact that 4kids dub people were most of its og cast and they're kind of wonderful goofs for something like Slayers.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The 4kids dub actors are great at being goofs, but I can't stand that Veronica Taylor only knows how to do two voices, so I end up watching the sub anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lisa Ortiz basically only has one voice as well but in this case it just happens to work perfectly for Lina.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My memories of Slayers involve finding a Hotline server that had the first season in insanely high quality 640x480 resolution, but I was only able to download like two episodes before it went down. My friends and I were in awe of how it was even possible to have video files that looked that good, even though in retrospect I remember it had some crazy interlacing.

It seems like a fun show to just pick up and watch so I should probably get around to finally doing that. I'm guessing it's going to be better than all the isekai garbage that comes out these days, at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

My memories of Slayers involve finding a Hotline server that had the first season in insanely high quality 640x480 resolution, but I was only able to download like two episodes before it went down. My friends and I were in awe of how it was even possible to have video files that looked that good, even though in retrospect I remember it had some crazy interlacing.

It seems like a fun show to just pick up and watch so I should probably get around to finally doing that. I'm guessing it's going to be better than all the isekai garbage that comes out these days, at least.

If you're in the US the entire series is available legally on YouTube in both Japanese and English (it used to be on Crunchyroll as well but since their contract with Funimation ended a little while back a lot of shows wound up getting dumped from their site).

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Just finished Next. Such a sweet way to end it. :3:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

The 4kids dub actors are great at being goofs, but I can't stand that Veronica Taylor only knows how to do two voices, so I end up watching the sub anyway.

This is a weird criticism to me because pretty much every Japanese voice actor has only one voice they ever do.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Captain Cappy posted:

This is a weird criticism to me because pretty much every Japanese voice actor has only one voice they ever do.

Sure, but I don't think they had the same Japanese actress play 2 separate characters in the same episode.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the dub more than the sub (even that episode) but I can see how little things like that done for cheaper budgets could annoy people.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

P-Mack posted:

Just finished Next. Such a sweet way to end it. :3:

My favorite thing about the Lord of Nightmares is that in the novels she and Shabranigdu and the other demon lords are just revealed to be the editors taking a direct role in the story.

"You know, this section doesn't quite work, let's remove that somehow."

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Couple eps in and it's charming as heck. Whoever said it's just a D&D campaign following a bunch of assholes was bang on.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Until someone tries to rules lawyer their way out of a bad situation it's not a D&D campaign.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

My favorite thing about the Lord of Nightmares is that in the novels she and Shabranigdu and the other demon lords are just revealed to be the editors taking a direct role in the story.

"You know, this section doesn't quite work, let's remove that somehow."

Though I think it means the actual Demon Kings from the other worlds. Not the Demon Lords Ruby Eyes created. I don't think it applies to Hellmaster Fibrizo, Gaav, and the other three.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 17, 2018

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though I think it means the actual Demon Kings from the other worlds. Not the Demon Lords Ruby Eyes created. I don't think it applies to Hellmaster Fibrizo, Gaav, and the other three.

Entirely correct, only the upper echelon.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Slayers is the best and the only anime I actively collect merch for. It totally shaped my childhood love for the old fantasy style town/shop/Inn aesthetic (which paired nicely when I was introduced to things like Ragnarok Online). What a great series.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just got to the Amelia and Phil episodes, and I want to update my previous statement.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Couple eps in and it's charming as heck. Whoever said it's just a D&D campaign following a bunch of dumb assholes was bang on.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Came in for the funny honeypot thread, stayed for the chat of known cool and good anime Slayers. Give a Reason was a pick me up song for me over a decade ago and I'm glad to have remembered it exists.

Which is not to say Get Along isn't amazing, because it is and the intro narration of the opening is why Lina is my spirit animal. And the third opening... Exists, yes, it sure does.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GimmickMan posted:

Came in for the funny honeypot thread, stayed for the chat of known cool and good anime Slayers. Give a Reason was a pick me up song for me over a decade ago and I'm glad to have remembered it exists.

Which is not to say Get Along isn't amazing, because it is and the intro narration of the opening is why Lina is my spirit animal. And the third opening... Exists, yes, it sure does.

Wherever there are monsters, I will kill them! Wherever there is treasure, I will take it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HySCRz6Atf4

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 24, 2021