Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I skied Park City on the last week of the season. Locals were in tshirts; temp was high and the snow wasn’t amazing, but it thoroughly destroyed my midwestern, hadn’t skied in a decade, self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

JagerNinja posted:

I have an opportunity to head out to Park City next month right before they close for the season, but it'll be my first time skiing in Utah and I have a couple questions. Has anyone been this year? I'm ok with going in March, but I'm a little uncertain of what snow conditions have been like or what they typically look like at the end of the season. The plan is to get in on March 24th in the evening, and have the 25th-27th as our ski days.

p.s. hello hookshot, avatar brother

BOY was I ever confused about how this post got written until I got to the bottom.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

BOY was I ever confused about how this post got written until I got to the bottom.

Not going to lie...I was too!

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I know you're a prolific poster here so I figured explicitly calling out the coincidence was going to be necessary to avoid confusing people.

PCjr sidecar posted:

I skied Park City on the last week of the season. Locals were in tshirts; temp was high and the snow wasn't amazing, but it thoroughly destroyed my midwestern, hadn't skied in a decade, self.

Sounds perfect for my southern, haven't skied in 2 years, self.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Also, Utah has Inn n Out burger, if they are not available in your state, but you may have to go to SLC for it.

We have In N Out in my state, but I'll keep that in mind if I have to get a quick bite after I get into Utah.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

JagerNinja posted:

Yeah, I know you're a prolific poster here so I figured explicitly calling out the coincidence was going to be necessary to avoid confusing people.

As a non-prolific-poster, I appreciate the callout... even after reading it my brain was still confused before I understood what was happening.

Much like an earlier poster, I'm going to be heading to Crested Butte in the near future. Last time I was there I was with my wife who wasn't up for the double blacks and I didn't think it was a good idea to venture up the t-bar alone. This time I'll be with my cousin (who is much better than me) and I'd like to check it out. I was warned about which run has mandatory cliffs, but of course I don't remember which one that is. Any go / no go ideas on the double blacks at CB?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

JagerNinja posted:

Sounds perfect for my southern, haven't skied in 2 years, self.

Drink lots of water and wear sunscreen. The altitude will gently caress you.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

JagerNinja posted:

I literally saw it say Park City and I checked the date to see if I had posted from like 3-5 years ago and forgotten that I was supposed to go to Park City somehow, then it was this year and I legitimately thought I got ~*~hacked~*~ LOL.

Anyway, I can't help you at all as I've never even been to Utah but I hope you have a nice trip my dude :)

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Spwrozek or any of the other resident splitters, do you find your pucks get a bit loose on every tour? I've only had mine out a couple times now but I always have to tighten the pucks when we get back as one binding or the other gets a bit wiggly by the end of the day. I'm using the spark canted pucks if if matters, maybe this doesn't happen with regular pucks?

The Jones Solution owns bones though, had it out to the resort today just to break in some new boots and it rides better than a lot of solid boards I've used in the past. Night and day compared to the Voile Spartan I rented when I was deciding what to buy.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Spwrozek or any of the other resident splitters, do you find your pucks get a bit loose on every tour? I've only had mine out a couple times now but I always have to tighten the pucks when we get back as one binding or the other gets a bit wiggly by the end of the day. I'm using the spark canted pucks if if matters, maybe this doesn't happen with regular pucks?

The Jones Solution owns bones though, had it out to the resort today just to break in some new boots and it rides better than a lot of solid boards I've used in the past. Night and day compared to the Voile Spartan I rented when I was deciding what to buy.

None of my hardware on any of my boards (solids or splits) ever comes loose. I do have Karakoram's though. But I just use this on everything: https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Heav...863460111&psc=1

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

spwrozek posted:

None of my hardware on any of my boards (solids or splits) ever comes loose. I do have Karakoram's though. But I just use this on everything: https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Heav...863460111&psc=1

They came with some of that on the hardware, maybe I need to whack some more on. I do have a tube of it laying around somewhere.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

The only thing I've had come loose so far were my board clips. After tightening them a second time I haven't noticed them loosening up. But Spwrozek is right about the Locktite.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

PCjr sidecar posted:

Drink lots of water and wear sunscreen. The altitude will gently caress you.

Oh, I'm well aware. I spend a couple weeks during the summer every year in Gunnison, Colorado, so I know how my body handles altitude (not well) and how to deal with it (constant hydration).

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

spwrozek posted:

FTFY
cruising around in the slush.

Arguably my favorite kind of skiing.

Also you gotta redo your locktite from time to time.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Arguably my favorite kind of skiing.

Also you gotta redo your locktite from time to time.

Of course....when I buy a new board and move the bindings over. haha.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

JagerNinja posted:

Oh, I'm well aware. I spend a couple weeks during the summer every year in Gunnison, Colorado, so I know how my body handles altitude (not well) and how to deal with it (constant hydration).

Gotcha. I tend to over-emphasize because I was told. I thought I was taking appropriate measures. I was not.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

PCjr sidecar posted:

Gotcha. I tend to over-emphasize because I was told. I thought I was taking appropriate measures. I was not.

Beer is mostly water.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Moogs posted:

As a non-prolific-poster, I appreciate the callout... even after reading it my brain was still confused before I understood what was happening.

Much like an earlier poster, I'm going to be heading to Crested Butte in the near future. Last time I was there I was with my wife who wasn't up for the double blacks and I didn't think it was a good idea to venture up the t-bar alone. This time I'll be with my cousin (who is much better than me) and I'd like to check it out. I was warned about which run has mandatory cliffs, but of course I don't remember which one that is. Any go / no go ideas on the double blacks at CB?

Wanna ski together and our wives can hang?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Moogs posted:

Anything that has mandatory drops will almost certainly have warnings posted outside a gate, or signage before you’re committed. Maybe Paradise Cliffs? Most of the stuff off The High Lift and The North Face are just steep.

I’ve skied them almost exclusively solo, FWIW.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 26, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Very cool 4 part series with Jeremy Jones and Selema Masekela. Not totally around snowboarding but very good stuff.

https://www.tetongravity.com/series/culture/journeyreward?goal=0_c0e76349d8-8da04e5c08-126811865&mc_cid=8da04e5c08&mc_eid=e7768e8179

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

spwrozek posted:

Very cool 4 part series with Jeremy Jones and Selema Masekela. Not totally around snowboarding but very good stuff.

https://www.tetongravity.com/series/culture/journeyreward?goal=0_c0e76349d8-8da04e5c08-126811865&mc_cid=8da04e5c08&mc_eid=e7768e8179

Thanks for posting this, Watching it now and it's nice to have on. Oddly enough Jeremy jones voice sounds like the narrator in ken burns documentaries with a bit of a surfer vibe.

Side note, I ordered skis and bought some cochise boots after trying on everything I could. I'll grab bindings when the skis arrive.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

Solid post.

I was just talking to a friend recently how Sal Masekela really was a staple in our childhoods within "extreme sports".

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

https://snowbrains.com/half-dome-descent-on-skis/

:captainpop:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I don't even know where to begin with the story but yesterday was the first time in my life that I've seen a lift stopped apparently to stop a pedo.

Last night at night training there was a guy at the resort acting strangely. Unlike everyone else he was unmasked. Everyone is separated for lift loading into groups that know each other and the strange guy aske another guy (who I'll refer to as orange pants guy) to ride together. Orange pants guy declined and strange guy stated that he was going to ride with him and that there was "nothing he could do about it." So orange pants guys slid back in line to let the strange guy board the lift himself. Meanwhile up ahead an 11 year old boy missed the lift his friends got on so he was about to load the next lift himself when strange guy slid up to board with him against the rules. The orange pants guy saw what was happening and immediately shot up to load to put himself between the strange guy and the kid. As the lift rose the strange guy tried talking to the boy and started reaching around the back of orange pants guys to try to touch the boy. Meanwhile the orange pants guy is shoulder checking strange guy on the lift ride to push him away from the kid and prevent him from touching the kid.

My kids are on the chair immediately behind these guys and can see and hear everything. As they unload, orange pants guy and strange guy are screaming at each other and about to throw down. Someone manages to alert patrol and security and the strange guy flees and they shut down the lift and have security searching for this guy. Turns out he apparently did this to one of our 13 year old female ski racers last week too leaving her crying. They stopped the lift I presume to look for the unhinged pedo. But I did hear that someone fell off the lift too so it may have been a combination of both.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Yuns posted:

I don't even know where to begin with the story but yesterday was the first time in my life that I've seen a lift stopped apparently to stop a pedo.

Last night at night training there was a guy at the resort acting strangely. Unlike everyone else he was unmasked. Everyone is separated for lift loading into groups that know each other and the strange guy aske another guy (who I'll refer to as orange pants guy) to ride together. Orange pants guy declined and strange guy stated that he was going to ride with him and that there was "nothing he could do about it." So orange pants guys slid back in line to let the strange guy board the lift himself. Meanwhile up ahead an 11 year old boy missed the lift his friends got on so he was about to load the next lift himself when strange guy slid up to board with him against the rules. The orange pants guy saw what was happening and immediately shot up to load to put himself between the strange guy and the kid. As the lift rose the strange guy tried talking to the boy and started reaching around the back of orange pants guys to try to touch the boy. Meanwhile the orange pants guy is shoulder checking strange guy on the lift ride to push him away from the kid and prevent him from touching the kid.

My kids are on the chair immediately behind these guys and can see and hear everything. As they unload, orange pants guy and strange guy are screaming at each other and about to throw down. Someone manages to alert patrol and security and the strange guy flees and they shut down the lift and have security searching for this guy. Turns out he apparently did this to one of our 13 year old female ski racers last week too leaving her crying. They stopped the lift I presume to look for the unhinged pedo. But I did hear that someone fell off the lift too so it may have been a combination of both.

Jesus, that's terrible.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

Holy poo poo, I hope they find the guy.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yuns posted:

Super hosed up. Way to go Orange Pants Man though.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

spwrozek posted:

Super hosed up. Way to go Orange Pants Man though.
All the kids thought orange pants snowboarder was a hero for jumping in and taking on that guy.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yuns posted:

That is wild. I have had a few people push their way onto the lift with me during covid season. Usually a boomer not wearing a mask, or not wearing it correctly. It is super annoying, especially when there is no real line and it wouldn't matter. Then they try to be chummy and chat me up the whole time, which is doubly frustrating. Luckily I have not seen anything that reached this level of inappropriate though.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I hit up Beaver for the first time today. Snow wasn't amazing but it was so much less crowded than Vail or Keystone. The runs were fun and surprisingly long but I had a tough time finding any tree runs. I heard there are more on the eastern side but it was all closed.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nothing like blowing a spring cam on the rear suspension of your snowmobile while tandem riding 11.5 miles in... luckily we were going really slow (5pmh) around a down tree since we instantly went to 0 mph. Still tossed us both off the sled. We were able to get things back together after about 1-1.5 hours. Really pretty amazing since you couldn't spin the track at all. We had a few wrenches, a mutlitool, a sewn runner and some zip ties. Limped it back to the trail head. Drove 2.5 hours back to a shop and decent cell service but no parts are available anywhere (maybe 3-4 weeks from arctic cat direct). Our big plans for tomorrow (20 miles of sledding, 10 miles and 5200' of vert on the skis) unfortunately fell apart. Really disappointing.

The really crap part... brand new 2020 sled, 380 miles on it, the part the broke... 5 loving dollars of plastic. Such is life.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Nothing like blowing a spring cam on the rear suspension of your snowmobile while tandem riding 11.5 miles in... luckily we were going really slow (5pmh) around a down tree since we instantly went to 0 mph. Still tossed us both off the sled. We were able to get things back together after about 1-1.5 hours. Really pretty amazing since you couldn't spin the track at all. We had a few wrenches, a mutlitool, a sewn runner and some zip ties. Limped it back to the trail head. Drove 2.5 hours back to a shop and decent cell service but no parts are available anywhere (maybe 3-4 weeks from arctic cat direct). Our big plans for tomorrow (20 miles of sledding, 10 miles and 5200' of vert on the skis) unfortunately fell apart. Really disappointing.

The really crap part... brand new 2020 sled, 380 miles on it, the part the broke... 5 loving dollars of plastic. Such is life.

Did you finally cave and get a sled? Or is that Tim's?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Thanks that’s all the reminder I need

(but it’s so good when it works)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I grew up in MN where sleds are everywhere

This is why I dont have one, I really want one but the wisdom is you need at least two because one will break when you really need to rely on it.

They are just pretty fragile machines in a lot of ways. Bummer about the brand new ride.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Took my dog up for my first tour of the season. His first ever tour. I kept putting it off because he’s such a goober (my old dog loved the backcountry, any season), but he had an absolute blast running up and down the trail. I’m now kicking myself for not getting him out sooner.

That said, I did notice he got a little cold when we stopped for any length of time in the 10° weather. Anyone have a dog jacket they like for backcountry applications? I’m looking at the Ruffwear stuff but figured I’d check here before pulling the trigger.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

Did you finally cave and get a sled? Or is that Tim's?

I am up in Washington. Since we can't get into Canada and my buddy wanted to ski this year he bought a trailer and a 3rd sled for the states.

We were on a pretty cool project. 4 of our friends were going to ski in from Kootenay Pass and we were going to sled in from Metaline falls then ski to the border. We were going to meet up for lunch and tea then back our separate ways. We were prerunning the road on the sled and going to do a bit of skiing up near the border yesterday, mostly to check that we could make the 20 miles. A big down tree could have easily shut us down. So going to day before let us figure out issues. The sledding was just so amazingly perfect for those 11 miles.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I grew up in MN where sleds are everywhere

This is why I dont have one, I really want one but the wisdom is you need at least two because one will break when you really need to rely on it.

They are just pretty fragile machines in a lot of ways. Bummer about the brand new ride.

Yeah 2 sleds is usually the standard operating procedure (or more) but just what we could make happen this year. The reason you see sleds breakdown a lot is because people want them to be as light as possible. the lighter they are the better they float in snow especially for mountain sleds. On an ATV or dirtbike it would never be acceptable.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Thanks that’s all the reminder I need

(but it’s so good when it works)

I am still pro sled. So many places you can't really ski without them.

waffle enthusiast posted:

Took my dog up for my first tour of the season. His first ever tour. I kept putting it off because he’s such a goober (my old dog loved the backcountry, any season), but he had an absolute blast running up and down the trail. I’m now kicking myself for not getting him out sooner.

That said, I did notice he got a little cold when we stopped for any length of time in the 10° weather. Anyone have a dog jacket they like for backcountry applications? I’m looking at the Ruffwear stuff but figured I’d check here before pulling the trigger.

They all blow completely. If you dog doesn't jump in the snow or plunge through any powder maybe they are ok. All the ones we tried get caked in snow. The ruffwear one may be the worst one we tried. Just awful. Assuming you are looking at this one with the dog walking head of the guy skinning. https://ruffwear.com/products/powde...kBoCH9oQAvD_BwE

Pup just going to be a little cold. Waxing the paws is all we do now. I think that helps a lot.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

my dad owns the australian version of a sled (a seadoo) and yeah they seem to constantly loving break for zero reason.

fun for the 25min they actually work for, though.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Not my pics but spotted this snow pup out touring 93S this weekend and someone else posted some shots of him in our local backcountry FB group. A very very good boy!

My wife landed on K2 Wayback 96s this weekend so we finally both have our own gear and can just go out whenever without having to book stuff. Super stoked to get our setups dialed and get on some longer tours.

Sledchat: we had them when I was a kid and my overwhelming memory is them being broken all the time and spending more time fixing them than riding.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I never thought that snowboarding would be the thing that would make me want a dog.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

They all blow completely. If you dog doesn't jump in the snow or plunge through any powder maybe they are ok. All the ones we tried get caked in snow. The ruffwear one may be the worst one we tried. Just awful. Assuming you are looking at this one with the dog walking head of the guy skinning. https://ruffwear.com/products/powde...kBoCH9oQAvD_BwE

Pup just going to be a little cold. Waxing the paws is all we do now. I think that helps a lot.

Yeah, the Powderhound was the jacket I was looking at. Thanks for the info. I have some ski balm I’ll try on my dog’s paws before the next outing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For those of you who don't follow the NFL, Alvin Kamara is an elite running back for the New Orleans Saints, top 3 in the league. He's known for his balance.

Here it is on full display, this is dude's first day snowboarding.

https://twitter.com/A_kamara6/status/1366547207785222145

edit: pulls off a jump. My first day was lol comparatively

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1366568271936450566

kiimo fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 2, 2021