Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

right foot arch half fallen

If these words weren't so related, the entropy and memorability of them would make my favorite password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
My favorite ski resort, Kirkwood is currently under mandatory evacuation due to the Caldor fire

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 30, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sierra at Tahoe is on fire

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Heavenly sent everyone home too and the Tahoe Visitors authority told everyone to cancel their plans

https://twitter.com/justinewaldman/status/1431052125048479745?s=21

It's going to be hard to get married in Tahoe if it burns down so my fiance is flipping out

https://twitter.com/TheAstuteGaloot/status/1432155946466246660

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

Nah, go there. I got my last boots at Larry's but honestly not that impressed with them. He just hires a bunch of kids and the experienced people only work on your boots if you come back with issues.

Went to boot mechanic and had a great experience. Was asking them if I should go for a size size even smaller, but they steered me towards some Salomon s pro 130s in a 26/26.5 (I measure at about a 27). Can’t wait to try them out this season.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Do the snowcams run all summer?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's so loving depressing

https://twitter.com/lenaertsjan/status/1432354767590862849

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
On the bright side, think about all of the new bowls on the ski map next year :gbsmith:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Not to downplay how dire this is, but to hopefully add a bit of optimism: my understanding is that at least so far most of the structures at Sierra are intact. I have not skied there, being in north lake, or been there in the summer, but generally speaking most buildings at ski resorts, including lifts and lift terminals also tend to have a reasonable amount of clear space around them, so I'm hoping that's true and remains true. I'm also hoping that the trails and glading will tend towards having fewer ladder fuels and maybe keep the canopies from burning...?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think the problem is this poo poo is just getting started and it hasn't even hit town yet and it went from like 19% contained down to 14% today which is going the wrong direction.

It's also heading straight towards stateline

https://twitter.com/skiheavenly/status/1432431524536745985

https://twitter.com/skiheavenly/status/1432431595454042114

https://twitter.com/skiheavenly/status/1432431630186995715

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 30, 2021

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Verman posted:

Stevens pass in Washington has this issue. I've been several times when all their lots are full and they were shooing people away. We would end up driving into Leavenworth and just ate/drank before driving home. If you show up a little late and get into one of the distant lots (5 miles away?) Odds are you're going to stand on line for the shuttle that comes once every 30 minutes and is likely already full. Plus the line might be 2 hours long before you can get on. Then you get to the resort and have to stand in the lift ticket line if you don't have a pass. Then the lift lines are atrocious. If you show up at 7 and you don't have a lift ticket, you might not even get on the slopes until nearly lunch time. In my experience though, the parking lots fit about the maximum amount of people that can fit in the slopes before it's overcrowded. I don't really ski there much anymore because of their parking.

late to respond to this but Jesus loving Christ that sounds awful

Really thinking that going to small hills in the middle of nowhere. My only regret about the place in the western Adirondacks I went to with $25 (weekday) lift tickets and walk on lifts was that I didn't find out about it until my last winter in that part of the country.

Speaking of moving, when do places like Grand Targhee (east Idaho/NW Wyoming area in general) usually get enough snow to have a good chunk of their terrain open? I'm moving to east Idaho early November and while it'd be nice to start early I should probably take a couple weeks to get settled in.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Usually early to mid Jan. They may have good coverage earlier but unless it's a drought year things should be good by mid Jan.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

OTOH the technology available off the shelf is pretty stunning these days.

I went into the fitters and explained my stupid feet (right foot arch half fallen, left foot completely flat due to past injuries/breaks, and with a neuroma at the base of the 4th toe so I can't have a compressed toe box) and they picked a boot (Solomon XPro 120 iirc) that could have not just the lining but the shell heat molded specially. After about 45 minutes of work they were perfect fits. Watching the left shell widen and feeling the pressure starting the neuroma numbness all of the sudden just go away was almost like witchcraft. I've several season in on them now and have never considered getting a custom footbed with these boots.

tl;dr: Always go to the bootfitter.

A proper boot fitting changed my snowboarding.

I only got to do a day in them this season, but it was the most satisfying day riding since I started snowboarding 14 years ago.

spwrozek posted:

If your feet are real dumb it is probably better to get a pediatrist to look at it/make an insole vs some "Cork insert marketing BS" thing from a boot fitter.

I don't think custom foot beds are necessary all the time but most people can benefit from the comfort provided by some basic Sidas insoles (and other brands, that's just the one I know). The flimsy poo poo that comes in snowboard boots at least Is mostly there to make it look like they tried to make something and make everyone's foot feel like it fits the boot.

Fwiw I did have customs footbeds at one point and they were worse than just using the cheap included ones. They corrected my geometry but there was zero impact absorption or cushioning because it was thin cork and Kevlar bracing for rigidity.

I will say Remind and the other trendy insoles are trash.

Everyone's different so YMMV but I've tried a lot of remedies and the solution that worked was going to a boot fitter worth a poo poo and spending 2hours in the shop.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 4, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Rolled the dice and bought a season pass for Mt Seymour. Sorry I just ruined everyone's season now.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Just moved to Denver and want to hit the slopes this year. 20yrs ago I lived in Park City and skied every fri/sat for a whole season, however I always wanted to learn to snowboard so I think I'm going to do that.

Thanks for the op, I have a few questions though:

If I buy a package of lessons does that usually give access to the mountain, or does that vary place to place?

For mountain access I need to budget in a ski pass and then lift tickets, or are there other things I need to budget for that I'm not thinking of, does something like the ikon pass just cover all of this?

Also if anyone has advice on where to begin around Denver that would be cool too.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 7, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

barkbell posted:

Just moved to Denver and want to hit the slopes this year. 20yrs ago I lived in Park City and skied every fri/sat for a whole season, however I always wanted to learn to snowboard so I think I'm going to do that.

Thanks for the op, I have a few questions though:

If I buy a package of lessons does that usually give access to the mountain, or does that vary place to place?

For mountain access I need to budget in a ski pass and then lift tickets, or are there other things I need to budget for that I'm not thinking of, does something like the ikon pass just cover all of this?

Also if anyone has advice on where to begin around Denver that would be cool too.

If you don't care about basically going to one place only this is generally the best deal. https://skiloveland.com/newcomers-3-class-pass/ 3 half day classes and a season pass to loveland for $550. It also includes rentals for those 3 days which is nice. The cheapest big resort pass is Epic Local for $580 and you get no lessons (I think pass price just went up). Lessons at Breck/keystone will be a lot.

If you buy a season pass you get to ride at those places all year (sometimes there are blackouts though). Lessons cost more and are separate. You can rent a board and stuff each time but again gets expensive. you can get a decent package of gear from EVO like this: https://www.evo.com/snowboard-packa...boots-2022-.jpg (might not be what you need, just an example)

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
are lift tickets including in a season pass?

e: i was thinking about the ikon base pass, pay for some lessons at eldora, rent equipment for the season from rei or wherever. mainly ski just a couple resorts but maybe take a week trip to breck in march

barkbell fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 7, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

barkbell posted:

Yes, that’s all that’s usually included in a season pass. Gonna second Loveland too, it’s also the closest chairlifts to Denver.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

barkbell posted:

e: i was thinking about the ikon base pass, pay for some lessons at eldora, rent equipment for the season from rei or wherever. mainly ski just a couple resorts but maybe take a week trip to breck in march

Well Breck is Epic pass and not Ikon Pass so that will be difficult. Ikon base and go to Eldora will be fine, you can check out Winter Park and Copper pretty easily. The loveland pass gets you Powder Alliance and a bunch of other partner days (https://skiloveland.com/season-passes/ and https://powderalliance.com/).

Ikon Base $800, Eldora Lessons ~$500 for 4 half days. There is also this if you plan to drive up to Eldora on weekends and are solo:

New Single-Occupancy Vehicle (SOV) Fee: Boulder County is requiring Eldora to charge SOVs $10 per vehicle on Saturdays, Sundays, and holiday periods. SOVs will be parked in a designated SOV zone and fees collected will fund Eldora’s Sustainable Transportation Program, which provides free round-trip transportation to Eldora from Boulder on weekends and holidays.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
It's going to be my fiancee and I, so the parking shouldn't be an issue... but it sounds like going with the 3 half-day lessons at Loveland for $550 + $100 for extension into season pass seems like a really good deal for us. Then if we decide we want to do a different mountain we can do some of those Powder Mountain places. Thanks a lot!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Very jealous of anyone preparing for "cold" right now.

It was 107 in LA Sunday.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
is it snowing anywhere yet?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SeaborneClink posted:

Baker had it's first dusting last week and Silverstar also had a bit. None of it stayed.
Yes, it's the time of year where I get stupidly excited about any snow, even if it melts straight away.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Looks like the tops of some of the Alps are getting a bit in the next three days if snow-forecast dot com can be believed

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I am so ready to try out these new boots. :getin:

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

It snowed near vail on August 20th or so. No doubt it’s gone by now though.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Just got in line to get the boat winterized, starting to put away summer clothes, and starting to think about a new snowboard for the winter. :stoked:

Was in a call today with a bunch of lodging companies from all over the state and it sounds like Breck is beating Telluride for the worst town government and anti-tourist sentiment, which is quite an achievement.

e: I also want to add that I really appreciate this thread being temporally located in 2018/2019 and I hope it never changes

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 8, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Just got in line to get the boat winterized, starting to put away summer clothes, and starting to think about a new snowboard for the winter. :stoked:

Was in a call today with a bunch of lodging companies from all over the state and it sounds like Breck is beating Telluride for the worst town government and anti-tourist sentiment, which is quite an achievement.

e: I also want to add that I really appreciate this thread being temporally located in 2018/2019 and I hope it never changes

Me: i might get a new board this year
GF: you what?
Me: get a new board, think mine is a bit long
GF: you do not need more snowboards
Me: it is my money
GF: that is true
Me: starts looking at new boards

(She really is awesome and totally owns too many skis)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I was on the Icefields Parkway today and got hit by some ice pellets so its coming! Of course this also happened to me once in July so

There was a slight dusting at high elevations around the Victoria Glacier, didn't see any on the Lake Louise ski area though.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Me: i might get a new board this year
GF: you what?
Me: get a new board, think mine is a bit long
GF: you do not need more snowboards
Me: it is my money
GF: that is true
Me: starts looking at new boards

(She really is awesome and totally owns too many skis)

I was there for this and I do not think she owns more skis than you own skis and boards

Also just buy more mountain sliding planks. God knows that's on my agenda this year

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

I was there for this and I do not think she owns more skis than you own skis and boards

Also just buy more mountain sliding planks. God knows that's on my agenda this year

haha. you sir are a RAT! haha. correct though.... 2 skis for her. 5 boards and skis for me...

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I think I have seven boards right now. At least two are rock boards though

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

spwrozek posted:

haha. you sir are a RAT! haha. correct though.... 2 skis for her. 5 boards and skis for me...
lol the suggestion that 2 pairs of skis is anywhere close to too many, is pure slander

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have 14 pairs of skis right now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I only have one but I also only have access to one kind of snow.

once i can travel outside Aus again I'll look into getting a nice powder-centric board to pack along with my regular board.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Laserface posted:

I only have one but I also only have access to one kind of snow.

once i can travel outside Aus again I'll look into getting a nice powder-centric board to pack along with my regular board.

I also only have one pair but they are wide enough for powder

also have already been core shot on rocks so lol

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HookShot posted:

I have 14 pairs of skis right now.

Do old race skis you’ll never use again really count? (Asking for a friend)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

lol the suggestion that 2 pairs of skis is anywhere close to too many, is pure slander

This is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Steve French posted:

Do old race skis you’ll never use again really count? (Asking for a friend)

YOU CAN'T TELL ME IM NEVER GOING TO USE MY DOWNHILL SKIS AGAIN I REFUSE TO BELIEVE YOU

*sobs*