Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm have size 11.5 Adidas Tactical ADVs but usually wear a 12-13 depending on shoe or boot. Best boot I've owned regardless, the sole reduction is bonkers.

Partial Octopus posted:

Maybe I'm just a weeb but Capita is killing it with the 90s anime aesthetic

Feels like some Cool Boarders 2 poo poo

Also I really don't need another board but the Salomon Dancehaul is calling me.

Capita's art department does in fact own but one of the owners of C3, Johan, is a piece of poo poo that steals from his unhoused neighbors and destroys their poo poo. So gently caress em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

highme posted:

I'm have size 11.5 Adidas Tactical ADVs but usually wear a 12-13 depending on shoe or boot. Best boot I've owned regardless, the sole reduction is bonkers.

Capita's art department does in fact own but one of the owners of C3, Johan, is a piece of poo poo that steals from his unhoused neighbors and destroys their poo poo. So gently caress em.

Thats a bummer. They make such good boards. BSOD is still the best board I've ever ridden.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Plank Walker posted:

Anyone have experience with wide snowboard boots? Been wearing an 8 or 8.5 but after measuring my feet looks like I should be in a 7 wide, which makes sense since I always get bad foot pain after a few runs and have to loosen the lower laces or take a break and take off my boots. Waiting on a couple pairs ordered online with free returns since I can't find any in a local shop, did try on some regular size 7's and they were tight on the top of my foot.

What should I be looking for fit-wise since I can't take them out on the slopes?
I have insanely wide feet and the boots I would recommend are Salomon wide sizes (I get the Synapse Wides) and Burton wide sizes. I haven't been happy with other boots.

Also this season is the first time in years that I haven't really wanted to get any new boards. I've tried out tons of board trends over the years but pretty much set on my quiver now.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 27, 2021

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Well Palisades is opening Friday so I guess I’m going skiing

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I just bought some 2022 Burton Photons - I'm a 27.5 Mondo (my left foot is 27.525 my right is 27.4) and I currently ride Burton Ions in size 10 (28). Technically every one says Burton boots 'fit to size' but you just have to try things out. I have long feet, with a wide bridge and a narrow heel. I find that sizing is really for me is about how close can you get to a perfect fit with an insert that can be molded to your foot? That said I'm mounting my new bindings to a new board and have new boots and I'm giddy like a school girl.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Went to Key yesterday. Half a run open with like 40 mph winds and a 20 minute download in said winds was not a fun time.

In better news, years of boot pain have been solved by getting an Intuition liner. So if anyone else is struggling, just bite the bullet and buy one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How long until a-basin opens up more runs usually? Seems like there's been some snow over the past week or so.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

How long until a-basin opens up more runs usually? Seems like there's been some snow over the past week or so.

Really just depends on conditions- if we aren't getting a lot of snow and temps aren't dropping low enough, it can take a bit. If I recall correctly from years past, they'll work on Ramrod next and then to the top via Lenawee after.

Temps look to be dropping into the 20s at night, so I presume they are able to blow snow as long as they have the water- have you seen where the snow guns are setup?

The forecast next week looks great, potentially snowing nearly every day!

Only 23 days until we open... hoping it just keeps snowing!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dox posted:

Temps look to be dropping into the 20s at night, so I presume they are able to blow snow as long as they have the water- have you seen where the snow guns are setup?

They had them set up on the run going up on Lenawee, at least late last week.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

They had them set up on the run going up on Lenawee, at least late last week.

They realistically make snow on 5 runs. Lenawee/dercum (same run really), High Noon, Ramrod, Sundance, and Wrangler. Everything else needs natural snow.

Back when I had a pass at A-Basin I would get 1-2 "pre-season" days and then usually never come back until March and the good stuff was open.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 28, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

Also I really don't need another board but the Salomon Dancehaul is calling me.

I hear you have a problem.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
British Columbia Coastal Backcountry, 178cm, 155lbs, incredibly poo poo-tier skiier since '97. Ditching my old Ripstick 97's, good lord did they haul uphill but they're way too light and 190cm was too long for me.

What to ride: Moment Deathwish Tour, 4FRNT Ravens, or wildcard planks I haven't considered? Mounting with Vipec Evo.

Maybe this year I'll find boots which actually work, 6th times the charm?

I saw this incredibly sick raw wood topsheet from a UK company but I can't find them anymore. :(

The mythical "quit your job and ski relentlessly" season is finally here.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Looks like Mammoth only ended up with about a foot at the base out of that storm, maybe it started out as rain.

Not sure if that’s worth heading up for the opener this weekend, guess I have a couple days to decide.

They got Three Feet at the top and open tomorrow.

highme
May 25, 2001

Just an FYI if Mt Hood Meadows is where you make your turns their pass price is gonna go up again significantly within the next week or so.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rime posted:

British Columbia Coastal Backcountry, 178cm, 155lbs, incredibly poo poo-tier skiier since '97. Ditching my old Ripstick 97's, good lord did they haul uphill but they're way too light and 190cm was too long for me.

What to ride: Moment Deathwish Tour, 4FRNT Ravens, or wildcard planks I haven't considered? Mounting with Vipec Evo.

Maybe this year I'll find boots which actually work, 6th times the charm?

I saw this incredibly sick raw wood topsheet from a UK company but I can't find them anymore. :(

The mythical "quit your job and ski relentlessly" season is finally here.

I can only comment on the Ravens. They are a weird ski that I might just not be a good enough skier for (I would say I am a pretty decent skier too). I have the 177s and probably should have got the 172s. I just have never got used to them. I can ski them but compared to my rocker2s just so strange. People rave(n) about them though and it is probably just me. I will probably get rid of them and get something else. I think you just need to be a really strong skier to appreciate them. So maybe not the ski you are looking for? Or maybe it is perfect.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

First impressions getting the Wildcat Tours 108 back from the shop. My goodness is the recommended mount point forward relative to my other skis. Is this a thing for newer skis? They’re 174, but lined up against the Nomad RKR 181’s at the boot center mount point they have almost the same tail, but look almost 6cm shorter in the front. Even my old rear end tele mounted G3 Spitfires have more tip @ 171. It’s wild.

I’m definitely nervous I went to short now. Not sure how much different 179 would feel vs 174. Maybe it’s not that big of a deal. Time will tell. :shrug:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 29, 2021

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Ended up ordering another board. Lib Tech Golden Orca. The graphics are a little out there for me (but also sweet).

Curious to see how it handles.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Steve French posted:

Well Palisades is opening Friday so I guess I’m going skiing
What did the storm total end up there?

kiimo posted:

They got Three Feet at the top and open tomorrow.
That’ll get us probably Cornice and little else up there. I read 3 will open but not 2.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 29, 2021

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Moey posted:

Ended up ordering another board. Lib Tech Golden Orca. The graphics are a little out there for me (but also sweet).

Why did you choose the Golden over the other models? I've been looking at them and deciding if I want to pick one up.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
4FRNT Raven 177 rider checking in, skis own. Using them as my resort/side country skis because I'm too lazy to uphill. They're pretty playful skis, little loose at high-speed and don't bite on the edge super hard until you really lay them over, but they will turn on a dime in the trees and ride powder all day.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 30, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

welp thanks thread for infecting my subconscious to the point where I have dreams about people debating property values in Canmore vs Telluride :psyduck:

Really looking forward to skiing this year, been away too long

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

SeaborneClink posted:

4FRNT Raven 177 rider checking in, skis own. Using them as my resort skis because I'm too lazy to uphill. They're pretty playful skis, little loose at high-speed and don't bite on the edge super hard until you really lay them over, but they will turn on a dime in the trees and ride powder all day.

drat, sounds like my Ripsticks. Probably rule those out then, despite the kickin' rad topsheet. :(

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

We need to meet up and switch new boards for a few runs later this season.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

It blows my mind how many people ride the Orca. Every year I see more and more. Even when I went to Keystone this week I saw like 5 of them. It's crazy for what is essentially a pow board. I don't really understand as there are a bunch of volume shifted boards out there that are generally considered better. Salomon Dancehaul, Ride Warpig, etc.

I'm also just not a fan of Lib Tech in general. Every one I've ridden had a slow base and felt pretty unstable. But I also just hate rocker boards so it's probably my fault for expecting to like any of them.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

spwrozek posted:

We need to meet up and switch new boards for a few runs later this season.

I just want that framed on my wall :swoon:

highme
May 25, 2001

I didn’t look too closely but I assume that’s Mike Parillo art work and you can usually buy it some how.

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm also just not a fan of Lib Tech in general. Every one I've ridden had a slow base and felt pretty unstable. But I also just hate rocker boards so it's probably my fault for expecting to like any of them.

This is Mervin boards in general for me. I won’t touch anything that isn’t C2 (or whatever the camber dominant profile is) and even then it’s still too much rocker. And then there’s the magnetraction. They all look great and ride like rear end.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

highme posted:

I didn’t look too closely but I assume that’s Mike Parillo art work and you can usually buy it some how.

This is Mervin boards in general for me. I won’t touch anything that isn’t C2 (or whatever the camber dominant profile is) and even then it’s still too much rocker. And then there’s the magnetraction. They all look great and ride like rear end.

I can't even stand the art direction lol. It's the most bro poo poo ever.

https://www.lib-tech.com/snowboard/mens-snowboards

It all just reminds me of bad 90s/00s alt rock album covers.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Partial Octopus posted:

I can't even stand the art direction lol. It's the most bro poo poo ever.

https://www.lib-tech.com/snowboard/mens-snowboards

Do the people who buy those boards also ride in their Jncos?

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Partial Octopus posted:

It blows my mind how many people ride the Orca. Every year I see more and more. Even when I went to Keystone this week I saw like 5 of them. It's crazy for what is essentially a pow board. I don't really understand as there are a bunch of volume shifted boards out there that are generally considered better. Salomon Dancehaul, Ride Warpig, etc.

IMO the Orca is hella overrated and people just want to ride like Travis.

Lib Tech has always been just "okay" for me, I guess since I never really bought into the magne-traction hype. I have buddies who either love it or hate it, but personally I've never noticed a difference in riding beyond what the profile of the board itself was offering.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I guess I’ll be the outlier here and say that I love my full rocker lib tech board and am sad they don’t make the same banana profile anymore. Thing is so good in the soft stuff.

highme
May 25, 2001

Partial Octopus posted:

It’s been their aesthetic forever. I think the Doughboy Shredder graphics have stayed the same since the 90s. Gnu is where you go when you like a lot of rocker and more artsy poo poo.

Edit: Riders Republic (Steep sequel with bikes too) was released yesterday and I’ve been playing a bit. Yes boards are in it so as soon as unlock the Optimistic that’s all I’m gonna ride of course.

highme fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 30, 2021

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

What did the storm total end up there?

That’ll get us probably Cornice and little else up there. I read 3 will open but not 2.

OpenSnow says 39” upper mountain.

Models indicated that the Mt Rose area (the mountain, not the ski resort, which is on a different mountain across the highway) got over 60” in 24 hours, but of course no one was up there to measure it.

Very good, though spring like, conditions today, for an opening day period, let alone October.

Siberia was not running but I saw pretty quickly that there were a bunch of tracks on it and people hiking; they opened it up for that which is pretty rad.

Lift top center

Then I noticed someone on top of national chute on the palisades, and apparently that was open for hiking too. drat.

Zoom and see person

Some more typical conditions of what was lift served today:

A handful more photos here https://imgur.com/a/0Ra4YyW

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Macnult posted:

IMO the Orca is hella overrated and people just want to ride like Travis.

Lib Tech has always been just "okay" for me, I guess since I never really bought into the magne-traction hype. I have buddies who either love it or hate it, but personally I've never noticed a difference in riding beyond what the profile of the board itself was offering.

I’ll go a step further and say I’ve always thought magnetraction is a nonsensical garbage gimmick that I could maybe see being useful if you never tune your edges, and negatively useful if you do. But if folks like it then to each their own.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Any recommendations for Swiss and French resorts that are better for snowboarding?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I guess I’ll be the outlier here and say that I love my full rocker lib tech board and am sad they don’t make the same banana profile anymore. Thing is so good in the soft stuff.

Hell yes. The 1st few banana's were so good. I loved mine. I haven't rode a Mervin board since though.

highme posted:

Edit: Riders Republic (Steep sequel with bikes too) was released yesterday and I’ve been playing a bit. Yes boards are in it so as soon as unlock the Optimistic that’s all I’m gonna ride of course.

Definitely looking to play this but busy with Control atm.

Steve French posted:

I’ll go a step further and say I’ve always thought magnetraction is a nonsensical garbage gimmick that I could maybe see being useful if you never tune your edges, and negatively useful if you do. But if folks like it then to each their own.

Magna really works on a board honestly. Do you need full Mervin magna? probably not. The Jones boards have mellow mag, I am a fan of that. The Optimistic I just bought has underbite, which is a version of it. In lovely choppy ice I really like it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Magna really works on a board honestly. Do you need full Mervin magna? probably not. The Jones boards have mellow mag, I am a fan of that. The Optimistic I just bought has underbite, which is a version of it. In lovely choppy ice I really like it.

Yeah, fair, I can’t speak too much to the board side of things. Skis though? No thanks.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

Yeah, fair, I can’t speak too much to the board side of things. Skis though? No thanks.

Agreed and really I think you just need it on the heel side.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

EvilElmo posted:

Any recommendations for Swiss and French resorts that are better for snowboarding?

Andermatt has awesome side country. Les 3 Vallees is good but not great. Chamonix is overrated but still good to great and each individual area is pretty small. I didn't get a chance to do side or back country there so I probably missed out on that.

asur fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 30, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

The videos all make Laax look amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Laax has a ridiculous park and some crazy long runs along with being gigantic. I was a mid-level snowboarder when I went and it was great for that. I don't remember it having great difficult terrain though. Probably should have noted that the other post is based on step and difficult terrain as that's what I care about now.

Cervinia/Zermatt is worth visiting for the view of the Matterhorn alone.