Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Goal: Make turns on my snowboard every month in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The SA iPhone app seems to have a weird bug where, if you try to quote someone, it occasionally edits your last post rather than making a new one.

Anyway…

Dangerllama posted:

He’s nine. Been skiing since he was six, but we missed a season and a half because I was recovering from a concussion and my wife doesn’t ski. He’s actually not bad on some of the easier bumps at Winter Park, but my goal is to be able to take him down something like Outhouse and have it be fun for him.

highme
May 25, 2001

Stanky Bean posted:

Mt. Bachelor. Got a midweek pass that's good m-f with blackouts on the weekends and during the Christmas/new years period.

My family is doing our quadrennial cold Christmas family gathering at Sunriver this year. I was looking at buying a full Bachelor pass because the days we're going to be there are all blackout dates. Unfortunately I didn't realize they closed their early season discount so early. With Meadows I can always call up the head of the race department and he'll make magic happen. We (OISA) can't even get Bachelor to reply to an RFP to host our state finals, much less bend the rules. Regardless, I plan on sleeping in the back of my truck in Bend a few nights this winter.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

As a quick pivot to some positive loving topics, what is everyone's ski goal this season? I did 41 days last season so I want to hit 45 ski days(Stretch goal 50), lose 40 pounds by the end of ski season, and tackle the "Peak to the Creek" trail at Whistler. I also want to try my hand at some black diamonds. What is everyone else up to?
I've been getting in 40+ days a season pretty regularly and would love to get 50+ this season. I'm also focused on getting more technical as a rider including more comfortable in the air on my snowboard. Also, I'd like to help my kids break into the top 10 so they can compete at U14 northeast regionals/Gunstock this year. Last priority is avy training so I can start think about backcountry.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
okay Highme, I keep putting off buying a new board... tell me what the best all mountain boards are for 19/20 please... currently loving the graphics for the Arbor Coda & the new Burton Custom's.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

My goal is to get my two year olds on skis. And my wife on backcountry skis.

And let's say, maybe ambitiously, 60 days on snow.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

MMD3 posted:

okay Highme, I keep putting off buying a new board... tell me what the best all mountain boards are for 19/20 please... currently loving the graphics for the Arbor Coda & the new Burton Custom's.

Yes standard and Salomon assassin both get a vote for good all mountain boards from me.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

My goal is to get on some skis again for the first time since my teens, and use my Epic Local at least two places in addition to Stevens Pass.

highme
May 25, 2001

MMD3 posted:

If I were going to buy one board to do everything, it would probably be a Capita DOA.

https://www.usoutdoor.com/capita-snowboards/capita-defenders-of-awesome-snowboard/

The Kazu pro (if you have small enough feet to utilize it) is also rad

https://www.usoutdoor.com/capita-snowboards/capita-kazu-kokubo-pro-mens-snowboard/

If I were buying an Arbor, it would the Iguchi Pro in the cambered model (mostly because I'm a Guch stan)

https://www.usoutdoor.com/arbor/arbor-bryan-iguchi-pro-camber-snowboard/

Can't really go wrong w/ the Burton Customs, I'm just not a huge fan. I prefer the Family Tree offerings from B, but that's because I'm an old that likes to make pretty turns.

spwrozek posted:

Yes standard and Salomon assassin both get a vote for good all mountain boards from me.

Salomon Assassin is a great board too. I haven't ridden a Yes Standard, but the Yes Optimisitic I picked up 3 seasons ago is still the board I grab out of my pile more than any others. The Salomon Super8 is another you might want to check out (and I have one for sale).

highme fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 9, 2019

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Stanky Bean posted:

Since it's a volcano you can pretty much ski 360 degrees down from the top once they open up the backside or you can make your way over to the huge bowl and it's not too hard to find areas to make fresh tracks on powder days.

This is awesome.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

highme posted:

Goal: Make turns on my snowboard every month in 2020.

I've done 11 months twice.

gently caress you, October :negative:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

highme posted:

If I were going to buy one board to do everything, it would probably be a Capita DOA.

https://www.usoutdoor.com/capita-snowboards/capita-defenders-of-awesome-snowboard/

The Kazu pro (if you have small enough feet to utilize it) is also rad

https://www.usoutdoor.com/capita-snowboards/capita-kazu-kokubo-pro-mens-snowboard/

If I were buying an Arbor, it would the Iguchi Pro in the cambered model (mostly because I'm a Guch stan)

https://www.usoutdoor.com/arbor/arbor-bryan-iguchi-pro-camber-snowboard/

Can't really go wrong w/ the Burton Customs, I'm just not a huge fan. I prefer the Family Tree offerings from B, but that's because I'm an old that likes to make pretty turns.

Salomon Assassin is a great board too. I haven't ridden a Yes Standard, but the Yes Optimisitic I picked up 3 seasons ago is still the board I grab out of my pile more than any others. The Salomon Super8 is another you might want to check out (and I have one for sale).

awesome info... I have always sort of wanted an Arbor so I'm still super tempted to just pick one based on aesthetics. My old Burton Custom has a graphic that I've always more or less hated so it'd be nice to finally get a board that I like looking at and a Black Walnut topsheet is awful appealing. Any reason the Arbor Coda might not be well suited for me? I've also never ridden Rocker or Camber so I'm kind of curious to try one or the other out and see how I like it. Also trying to figure out if I should be looking at wide models having a size 11 boot.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

https://up.craigslist.org/snw/d/kingsford-1995-polaris-indy-440/6991201825.html

Let's get the season started right.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mama Mia I wanna take a ride on that sled

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

:perfect:

highme
May 25, 2001

MMD3 posted:

Any reason the Arbor Coda might not be well suited for me? I've also never ridden Rocker or Camber so I'm kind of curious to try one or the other out and see how I like it. Also trying to figure out if I should be looking at wide models having a size 11 boot.

Camber is the standard ski/snowboard design, you've been riding it. Some people like rocker, but trends are heading back towards camber dominance. I have heard good things about Arbor's rocker system, but I prefer a camber dominant hybrid or pure camber and haven't ever ridden it.

Honestly I don't know a lot about the Arbor line. Their boards are all gorgeous and we'll made at least. My son works at USOutdoor now in the board department (long blonde hair). They have Arbors in stock already, seems like a good excuse to go check them out.

HookShot posted:

I've done 11 months twice.

gently caress you, October :negative:

People are getting split laps in above Timberline right now, but September/October are going to require missions to still rideable lines in Central Oregon.

highme fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 9, 2019

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MMD3 posted:

super tempted to just pick one based on aesthetics
This is me :v:

Having gotten my first board last season I don’t have or feel a need for another at all outside of just wanting more cool designs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

are you gonna send it

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:q:

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

highme posted:

Unfortunately I didn't realize they closed their early season discount so early. With Meadows I can always call up the head of the race department and he'll make magic happen. We (OISA) can't even get Bachelor to reply to an RFP to host our state finals, much less bend the rules.

That sucks to hear. I've never had to deal with that side of things but maybe you would have better luck trying with the MBSEF (Mt. Bachelor Sports Education Foundation) to liason for you or something.

It is definitely a cool mountain and I'm super pumped to finally be a local somewhere.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Moey posted:

This is awesome.

if you've never visited you should try if possible. No accommodations up at the mountain but Bend and Sunriver are about equidistant from the mountain and are quite nice. Sunriver is more resorty and Bend pretty cool small city with breweries galore.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

highme posted:

People are getting split laps in above Timberline right now, but September/October are going to require missions to still rideable lines in Central Oregon.
Yeah, mine was thanks to trips over August/September in New Zealand after June/July glacier skiing.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Currently coming down good in Summit County, Colorado.

People keep talking about A Basin trying to open tomorrow, which seems like a stretch. We shall see how long this holds up for.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

Currently coming down good in Summit County, Colorado.

People keep talking about A Basin trying to open tomorrow, which seems like a stretch. We shall see how long this holds up for.

Yeah, I could maybe see Saturday. Plus it is sold to warm up all next week.

I will not be there and instead biking in fruita though. Not winter yet.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Did that 50 degree drop in Colorado happen that people were talking about

https://apple.news/AAyJJ4E8nT2yTSVhRCgZDrQ

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah, in Denver at least it was 80 at 5:30pm last night and 24 at 6am this morning.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahaha that's insane.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was pretty shocked at how much snow actually stuck to the roads since it was 80 yesterday. It was gone as soon as the snow let up at all, but still.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
As usual, I didn't cover the poo poo on my deck. Every drat year...

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
colorado having their first winter, soon to be followed by autumn then real winter, spring and spring winter.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

colorado having their first winter, soon to be followed by autumn then real winter, spring and spring winter.

You forgot about mud season.

Ninja edit: Went to the North Face store at Cherry Creek today and checked out the Futurelight stuff. Wow that’s some seriously lightweight and supple fabric. If it does what it says on the tin Gore is in trouble.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 11, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SeaborneClink posted:

I thought this was very funny

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

looks like Im headed to Red Mountain some time in late jan for a week or so. I have some friends that live there and while visiting us in Aus they invited me to stay with them :)

how is red in terms of crowds?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Laserface posted:

looks like Im headed to Red Mountain some time in late jan for a week or so. I have some friends that live there and while visiting us in Aus they invited me to stay with them :)

how is red in terms of crowds?

Red is basically the perfect mountain and Rossland is a gorgeous town and the only problem is you're approximately a four hour drive from anything remotely resembling civilization.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

HookShot posted:

Red is basically the perfect mountain and Rossland is a gorgeous town and the only problem is you're approximately a four hour drive from anything remotely resembling civilization.

sounds pretty good then.

As an Aussie Im anticipating it'll be a lot like Niseko in terms of terrain? as in much longer/wider marked runs than Aus, deeper snow, and easier off-piste riding?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Laserface posted:

sounds pretty good then.

As an Aussie Im anticipating it'll be a lot like Niseko in terms of terrain? as in much longer/wider marked runs than Aus, deeper snow, and easier off-piste riding?

I've never been to Niseko but literally every single aspect of skiing in Canada is better than skiing in Australia. Red is one of the best places in Canada for powder skiing.

(Except for the random flocks of rosellas and wombats which we don't have and are amazing.)

But yeah Red rules. I'm going to be there Jan 9-12.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Keystone is going to have something open tomorrow.

Should be, interesting....

Edit: Ahhahaha, even better.

http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2019/10/we-are-opening-today.html

Moey fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 11, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Super funny and petty. I hope keystone goes back to not announcing until night time and then winning by opening at 7 am with the lights on. Also does it count if you can't get a mug until tomorrow?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The "congratulations to both resorts" just before announcing they're open today is the most amazingly petty thing I have ever read and I am 100% here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yo gently caress Vail Resorts, Abasin for life. You poor dumb bastard Epic kids got cucked