Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1176217670049353728?s=19

That seems bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gotta go at the cables with an A-6 to come out victorious I guess?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was pretty shocked at how much snow actually stuck to the roads since it was 80 yesterday. It was gone as soon as the snow let up at all, but still.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

As a non co native I didn’t enjoy it. It was icy and windy and I’m told it’s usually like that. This was on a day when summit county resorts were getting 6+ inches.

They do have huge jumps setup so there’s that if you are into it. I’m poo poo so it wasn’t a draw

Yeah, Eldora isn't great. I end up there a lot though since it's only an hour drive for me versus the 2 it takes to get to anywhere else provided the road conditions are good.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Well I rode my last chairlift of the season yesterday. Surgery tomorrow at 9 am.

That sucks, hope your recovery is quick. I'll sit around and not get on a mountain anywhere near as much as I should in your honor.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think I'm finally gonna make it out tomorrow. I was hoping to have a better winter wheel set for my car, but the roads already look doable and what I have should work.

Of course I had some friends come out and go to keystone this year when I only grabbed the ikon pass. At least I can use a buddy pass to knock the price down a little.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Anyone ever been to Zermatt in Switzerland?

We're going in late February for a week and still looking for tips/advice on how to spend our week besides epic riding and gawking at the Matterhorn.

One of my friends went there last year. He didn't care for it at all as a snowboarder. He said he was constantly walking due to catwalks. Outside of that he said he loved it there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

It was such a poo poo show last night that we didn't drive up to our place. We left lohi at 5:40 and it still took 2 hours to our place in Dillon. Just ridiculous.

But my buddy left for Breck at 3:30 yesterday and got there at 9:45.... :suicide:

I looked at traffic at like 10 o'clock last night and 70 was just solid red all the way to the tunnel. As always, I'm glad I work weekends.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dangerllama posted:

I haven’t seen a single Chiefs jersey so far today.

Come to think of it, I haven’t seen a single sports jersey. :iiam:

Content: My son warmed up on a black today. GET HYPE!!!!!

I met some friends from KC at Keystone a couple weeks ago and one of them wore a Chiefs jersey, so I've seen at least one :negative:

spwrozek posted:

I saw an article about Vail resort visits down 8% and man do I believe it. Didn't wait more than 3 min at breck for a lift today.

I think we're at the point where it's just too loving expensive for even remotely regular people to do. Prices on everything are going up while wages aren't and eventually you have to stop buying ski passes to feed your kids.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Super jealous from my office in Denver... And my delayed flight to Boston @ 6pm (come on more snow and cancelled flight so I can ride tomorrow...)

Did you make it out? The airport/approach are struggling hard today.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Yeah, we were only delayed 40 min. I was pretty surprised.

You got pretty lucky.

In other news, gently caress all this:

I'm the kind of person that turns around and goes home when I see that kind of poo poo.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ironlung posted:

Some of these pics coming out of Vail are loving ridiculous.

If I worked normal days/hours and had to even somewhat regularly sit in I-70 traffic for 4+ hours and then sit in 2+ hour lift lines I'd stop snowboarding. Hell, I don't go enough as it is because it's already a 2 hour drive to any of the I-70 resorts if the road conditions are good

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Plank Walker posted:

How worried should I be about altitude sickness? Flying from east coast into Denver and staying in Winter Park for 4 nights and googling "altitude sickness" has me convinced I'm going to get 0 hours of sleep and my heart is going to explode.

It hits everyone differently but I wouldn't be too worried. Take it easy and drink a shitload of water like the other person said. Think you've had enough water? Wrong, drink more.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I feel like Colorado ski country air traffic is down this year, but I don't have any hard numbers on that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

I'm at copper all this week, Monday to Friday. If a goon wanna get at me, please, just post and lemme know. I got dms too

Lodge right in the mountain, ridiculous

If I make it out I'll hit you up. I have to deal with a speeding ticket and my car will be in the shop getting the rear bumper replaced this week so I'm not sure if I do. It partially depends on what I get as a rental. I guess almost anything would be technically better than my car in snow, but it does more than fine with good winter tires.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

There are fewer people on the mountain the last few days than I've seen in years, and in the valley too, rumour is people are cancelling trips because of corona virus.

Of course it could also be because it stopped snowing forever.

Are you guys seeing the same sorts of things down there?

I feel like ski country air traffic is down a noticeable amount this year. I don't have hard numbers, but it definitely seems less busy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dangerllama posted:

https://twitter.com/KyleClark/status/1235774983504302081

Idunno you guys. I want to make jokes like normal times but…just…stay safe friends.

In the end this stuff is going to be unavoidable as it's almost definitely freely spreading across large chunks of the US with almost no actual testing being done. If you aren't old you'll probably be fine.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Today was closing day apparently. Life comes at you fast

I was admittedly not expecting the governor to pull the plug. Guess I should have gone out on my days off.

I wonder if rumblings of this is why ski country air traffic was up a decent amount today? A shitload of mexican registered planes were taking the virus their way.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

This goes out after people have been fleeing like rats on a sinking ship for the last 2 days. There have been flights pumping out of Aspen and Eagle all day. Colorado is going to be a huge vector for the spread of it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

I was admittedly not expecting the governor to pull the plug. Guess I should have gone out on my days off.

I wonder if rumblings of this is why ski country air traffic was up a decent amount today? A shitload of mexican registered planes were taking the virus their way.

https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...ome-coronavirus

Weird.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

I saw that earlier today and instantly thought of you.

It was just stupidly predictable. I wonder if the flights still going in and out of Aspen and Eagle actually have people on them taking it back wherever they're going? Flights are obviously significantly down but there are still private jets and airliners doing their thing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I did a day at Keystone on a friends buddy pass and it was still like $120 or something like that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Ikon doesn't appear to be doing poo poo.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

We beat Corona, it'll be fine!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ironlung posted:

Sounds like they have some pretty strict rules in place and with a few simple tweaks to normal operations it would be very easy to stay 6ft apart while skiing. Do you think we should just stay inside forever?

I have zero expectation of people following the rules and less than high expectations of them actually being enforced. You can already find a million videos of people asses to elbows in areas where social distancing is theoretically still being enforced, it won't be any different here.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eejit posted:

Aspen is going to hit 50% lodging occupancy this week if all the current bookings check in. I reckon travel is going to be on the table sooner than later. Whether or not that travel is responsible is a whole other question. I'm sure looking forward to a few new viral clusters popping up near me!

Air traffic into Aspen and eagle has been up significantly too. Still not normal amounts but a lot more private jets than there were my last work days.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Well guess what happens when everybody from Texas and Arizona shows up in your town

All the mountain towns had an absolute shitload of private jets carrying it in this week. They had to do some restrictions that usually only happen in winter on Wednesday because there was enough ski country traffic that it was necessary.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eejit posted:

But I feel like this year has to have close to record numbers of summer visitors in the mountains.

We're getting winter holiday flight numbers into Aspen right now. All the rich people that can't go anywhere else because the US is a failed plague state seem to be going there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eejit posted:

Frankly I'm surprised there are even spots to park private jets at ASE

They routinely run out and they have to fly somewhere else to park.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Double post to ask, do you think Obama is a skier or a boarder?

-Edit-

Michelle Obama is a skier, according to this article.

https://snowbrains.com/michelle-obama-skiing-is-her-golf/

Pretty sure my facility had a pretty lovely incident involving Michelle Obama's plane as it was coming out of a ski country airport a few years back.

E: I can only find info on the one at Andrews but I swear we had something here too.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 9, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Can't you push this years ikon pass back to the following year? I'm pretty sure that's what finally sold me on grabbing mine. I'll just wait a while to see how things pan out before using it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm basically assuming I'll end up pushing my pass back to next year with how things are panning out. I think this winter is going to be real, real bad.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Don't worry. Next week they will add level 2.875, then 2.9375, then 2.96875...

Yup. There's no stomach to actually do anything beyond shutting down indoor dining and putting ineffectual restrictions on gathering sizes, especially since there's not going to be any sort of government stimulus getting thrown around any time soon. Thanksgiving and Christmas haven't even happened yet either and those are just going to make everything worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

I've already written off this entire season

I have too. I need to actually look to see if there's a date by which I have to push my pass back to next season. I haven't looked at any of that poo poo.