Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

highme posted:

Lots were full. In non COVID times I think they might close the road on weekends if full but I don’t know. I only ride there in the spring when most of Portland has forgotten that we still can make turns.

I’m usually well past Timberline on those busy weekends because if we don’t grab a spot in the race room by 6:30-7 the ski parents all swarm. Good news though they’re building a new lodge at the base and we’re going to get our own spaces as a result.

It looks really nice from the outside, but I have not been inside any building at meadows this season except the little lodge at the bottom of HRM. Maybe next time I go up if it is not crowded I will cruise through and check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

JagerNinja posted:

Apparently we all went snowboarding for the first time this weekend. This is great stuff, though, and makes a lot of sense. For my part, I went out snowboarding and did alright on the first day (I went from beginner to linking turns, so not bad), but was so beat up that I could barely maintain control on day 2. I ended up switching to skiing, which I find way easier.

I could never really explain why skiing is easier to me, but as I was going down the mountain I realized that I don't need to think when I ski, whereas snowboarding is a constant internal narration of each move: flatten the front foot, keep the back foot on edge; build momentum, now switch to the other edge; repeat. I have no idea if this is just the case for me or if everyone goes through this phase, but man, I got pretty intimate with the snow.

Anyway, I had a great time and will probably be sore for the next couple days. Park City is pretty rad and I'd like to go again someday. Obligatory mountain pics:

Park City has been one of the funniest trips I have taken. I went in December though, and only about 25% of the mountain was open. Regardless, I loved it so much I am going again. My family wants to do a Wi get vacation, and we did Whistler last time, so this upcoming December we are going to hit Park City. Did you go up the McConkey lift? That might have been my favorite, at least for the view, but I only ever took the one blue run down. Except for once when I took the tycoon run down and that took me like 30 minutes.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

JagerNinja posted:

Nah, I didn't venture up that high. I haven't skiied in... probably 3 years? And my last trip was a visit to Breck where I got brutal altitude sickness after the first day, so it's really been even longer. I hung out around the Payday lift to get my feet back under me.

But man, the mountain is HUGE, and it has a pretty good mix of terrain. We barely scratched the surface. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it someday. My commitment after this COVID mess: no more putting it off, I have to go skiing every year or I'm just going to regret it later.

One of the things I love about PCMR is how much terrain there is and how many different runs there are just from one lift. Payday has a lot of fun stuff around it. If you were able to do most of the payday stuff McConkey's lift, while being almost exclusively double black diamond, has the blue Georgianna run, that I absolutely love. It is definitely doable if you have the skills to navigate the stuff off payday, and since the lift serves mostly double black diamond runs the crowding is really minimal at best. I tried to go down to Thaynes once and even the blues were like moguls the entire way and it totally kicked my rear end. I am really looking forward to going back to PCMR for next season!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

Yeah, problem was "durrr we can't go to Whistler and just hang out on the mountain all day, we have to then go drinking in the bars, and have dinner, and do a bit of shopping, or it's not a real ski day"

(this is pre covid) So there I was in Whistler. I had a lovely day on the mountain. It seemed like I couldn't get my feet under me right and my skiing was terrible. It was stormy, windy, the groom was covered in crust. I was barely able to eek out a vertical mile when I was there. I was frustrated and tired and upset. I was coming down the stairs and just missed the bus, so I decided to walk back to the condo. That was a mistake. I got so tired and worn out on that walk, and increasingly more frustrated. I finally got back and was able to change into real shoes and was able to walk around. I did a quick search online to find dinner and I was amazed! I had found my favorite, Mongolian BBQ. I took my sister out to dinner and was so excited to have my favorite. We showed up there and were at the start of the line, where they have the different bowls you can grab. I said "Now, Sis, these places are all about cramming as much poo poo as possible into the fixed price bowls. So grab a bowl and just cram everything you want into it. I am serious, just smoosh that poo poo down and fill 'er up". Well, we got to the end and to my loving horror they took the bowls and put them on a scale. This place was not charging by bowl size, but by weight, a complete 180 from my previous Mongolian BBQ experiences. Turns out that my advice was incredibly bad, and we paid close to $120 for two huge loving servings of Mongolian BBQ.

That being said, I still want to go back to Whistler when the weather is better.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Was it the government who closed Whistler or was it Vail who decided to do that? How long is the typical season there? I would imagine at least through April.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like lift served skiing is very safe. Not only are you wearing masks but most people wear goggles as well, along with gloves. So in addition to being more bundled up and covered than you would be in most other situations there is a fair amount of wind and unless there is a line you are pretty well spaced out. Some resorts have been a lot better than others about creating a safe environment though, at least in regards to mask requirements and enforcement.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This is an oddly specific Park City Mountain Resort question; does anyone know when the Town Lift usually opens? I went early December in 2019 and it was not open, and now I am planning a trip for December 12-19, and while I am pretty sure it won't be open, I would be interested in what locals have to say. The reason I am asking is because it might impact where I want to stay, as it would be better to stay closer to town lift for the non skiers in my group.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I don't ever ski pcmr, but this season was horrible until mid Jan, so I'd say it probably opened much later than usual this season.

Someone else probably has more concrete info, but yeah pcmr was barely 50% open until late Jan.

Good to know. Here is another PCMR question; what happens when parking fills up? I looked at the lots and they look relatively small for the amount of skiers. Is there some further off site parking? This is not needed for my trip, but I need to think about for moving to area, if I end up going down that route.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ok, that is not too bad at all. At my local mountain if all the lots are full it is kind of like "Sucks to be you, nowhere to park, I guess you have to go home", which can really blow.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kalman posted:

I mean you have to remember that Park City also hosts Sundance which has a pretty significant attendance, and it’s adjacent to an actual town, so there’s more than just the resort base - there’s paid lots in town, etc etc.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense! I have been there a few times, but every time I have been staying in a hotel slopeside or very close to it so it has never been an issue. What about the resorts in the canyon south that do not seem to have any built up infrastructure around them, like Alta and Snowbird? Do they have parking problems or something cooked up for when they are super busy there?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yes parking problems and traffic are some of the biggest issues at snowbird/alta and solitude and brighton as well. Snowbird and Alta generally fill their lots quickly on powder days, often turning people around at Alta by like 10am due to no place to park. The problem has gotten a lot worse with the ikon influx the last few years, but it was a steadily growing issue even before it.

On powder days if you're not already waiting in line at the base of the canyon hours before the avalanche closure ends, you are not getting up there. The canyon will often be closed to uphill traffic before 8am due to avalanche control, and then from 11am onwards on a big morning due to gridlock and no parking left, with police blocking the uphill lanes.

There are ongoing proposals to fix this, including a gondola up lcc or cog rail.

That would have to be one heck of a gondola? Or would they just put more parking in somewhere close and have that be the base for the gondola? Rail sounds like it would be a fun way to get to skiing.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wow, that would be one hell of a gondola ride! Looking at Google maps satellite view of the La Caille area base station I can see that you are right, that this is just shifting a problem, because there doesn't seem to be any parking there.

This is a silly question, but what about Alta/Snowbird employees? How do they get to work if the roads are closed until avalanche mitigation? Or do they have to get there super early, like 5 or something?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Does anyone happen to know what the term "Ski Beach" means, particularly as used in this article :

https://townlift.com/2021/04/alterra-investing-in-upgrades-to-deer-valley-other-resorts/

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

From an outsider perspective, a lot of times I would not be able to afford trips to the resorts I like to go to if it were not for AirBnB or similar sites. I of course feel bad for the people who live in the communities that are experiencing high costs of living and wish there was some middle ground solution that would work out better. My company might be opening a SLC location and I was looking into living in Park City and that is just not an achievable goal. From my research though, that area in particular didn't really take off until the 80s or so it seems, so it is likely that many of the residents there have their homes through family connections, as it seems like the prices would preclude many people who participate in the local economy from being able to own there.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I was looking in the outskirts of PC area, like closer to the Canyons area and around Kimbal Junction. I guess they are not technically Park City, I should have been more clear in my post. Yeah, the houses in Park City proper are way, way beyond affordable even with higher end jobs.

I am struggling to think of any location close to any mountain that would be affordable though.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Very envious of you all still skiing. I am just about to move my skis from the car top carrier to the garage roof rack I have installed for my skis. A very sad time of the year, indeed.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yuns posted:

After a successful race season run by volunteers and paid coaches on a shoestring and after all their promises of support, our home mountain is kicking out the race team again. They sent us note that they are suspending all support for racing including us, also all scholastic racing, all junior level pre racing programs etc. We've been profitable for them and they're claiming it's not financial but rather that we don't fit in their business model. We're working to convince them to reverse their decision but also working on alternative contingency plans. To be very very polite and circumspect, it is hard to work with mountain management and I kinda wish I wasn't in a leadership role but we're going to fight this.

Edit: It'd be funny if we just poached the entire season and ran a USSS sanctioned but unauthorized race program on the mountain. The kids would be completely down with it but the parents and coaches not so much.

That really sucks. I hate to say it, but I guarantee it must be financial, I mean, the phrase "don't fit with our business model" directly implies that. At my local mountain race days are my absolute least favorite though; the lodge and parking lot is pretty much filled up with people who are not skiing and they bogart all the lodge services and it is frustrating to the point I won't ski on race days anymore, even though they only use a very small portion of the actual ski runs. Lots of time the people hanging out in the lodge bring their own food and drink as well, which is to be expected given on mountain prices, but probably doesn't make the mountain too happy.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I heard today that the east end of our county is over 90% vaccinated so I doubt they’ll do any kind of covid restriction other than maybe ‘space out the lift lines’ which was kind of a joke.

Unless we get a sweet gamma variant that doesn’t care if you’re vaccinated.

That seems like a really high percentage, that is good! Although I would imagine if you get a lot of travellers that would make it more difficult.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Does he ski in jeans? Does he even ski?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The bird is doing only a single small parking lot as free parking this year and every other spot requires a 800 usd parking pass which isn't for sale any longer or a 20 dollar reservation per day.

This new future kinda sucks. Lotta early mornings in my future, hopefully a gondola up the canyon becomes reality here.

I'd easily pay for an 800usd yearly canyon pass if the money went to udot or salt lake county but no way am I paying the resort that much, since none of it will go to fixing the transportation issues long term.

That parking pass costs as much as my season pass for me and my son. That is crazy. The math on it doesn't work out nearly as well as a season pass. A full Epic pass that is, lets say, 1k, means you have to hit the mountain between 7-10 times to make the pass break even with lift tickets. On the other hand, you would need 40 trips at the 20 dollar lot to equal the price of the parking pass. I have flexible work days and getting 40 days in a season would still be tough.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Oh, yeah, I could see it being worth the cost to guarantee you have a spot to park. Even with the guaranteed spot though I could imagine traffic getting up there might be a challenge until they come up with some solution, and covid eventually (hopefully) dies down.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Varg posted:

how hard is it to build more parking lots jfc :stare:

Mt. Hood has seen their parking situation for their two main resorts get really squeezed the last few years, since I started skiing. It took Mt. Hood Meadows about 4 years to lay down about 200 additional parking spots and Timberline is adding 400 more or so but have not started yet, to my knowledge. I don't know if it is the same elsewhere, but our resorts are somewhat constrained by having to work with federally managed land that they lease or interact with, which can cause things to take some time. As far as I know Alta/Snowbird and the other resorts in the canyon don't have adjacent towns/villages, so adding parking might have the same sort of challenges for them, and I have heard that the traffic situation is so bad that they would prefer other options instead of more cars.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think I have seen chairs like that a lot on one of the only instagrams I look at, "Jerry of the Day", and I believe they are popular in Europe and difficult for snowboarders to use.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

LostCosmonaut posted:

Looks like Idaho's thing is weird lifts, at least going by that site.

Homemade lift seems like something that might be very hard to insure/have insurance for your resort.

Idaho had the first ski lift though. I learned all about it at dinner in Ketchum/Sun Valley. They had an infographic about it in the restaurant I ate at. It was really good! Don't remember the name unfortunately, but it was in the nice hotel complex near an ice skating rink.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

To be fair, it's a poma lift, you don't leave the ground

Jerry of the day may lead me to believe otherwise, haha. Well, I guess they get more or less dragged as opposed to lifted off the ground.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I enjoyed Beaver Creek and there is definitely beginner friendly terrain there. It is less crowded than Vail or Breck, ut a further drive. I would look into a 1 or 2 day epic pass or iKon pass somewhat soon, as I think you can only buy them before the season.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Do any of the resorts have an intertube hill? That might be an option too.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So this is supposed to be a La Nina year, which is usually good for the PNW from what I have heard. How does this impact Colorado and Utah? I looked at the NOAA map linked below and it seems like most of the Colorado and Utah ski areas are in the grey areas without an impact listed.

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/10...EIiqhVhLLYu_iLI

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Good to know! I have a very early season trip to Park City, December 12-19 or so, so I am wondering how that will play out. I went in December of 2019 at the same time frame and even though only about 20% of the terrain was open it was one of the best trips of my life, so am really looking forward to going again! Although this trip is the last family trip my father is likely to go on due to cancer, so it might end up being incredibly depressing. But hopefully not!

When I went in 2019 I stayed at the Marriott Mountainside right by Payday lift and it was awesome. I stayed early season because the 4 nights cost only about 1,000, and everything from Christmas through the rest of the season was closer to 1,000 a night. Yikes! I am still nervous about covid, although I am vaccinated, so instead of flying from PDX to SLC like I did for the last trip I will be driving instead. Since it is such a long drive to make it worthwhile I am staying for a whole week this time. We rented someone's timeshare slot at the Westgate Plaza over on the Canyons side. I did not make it to the Canyons side in 2019 so I am happy to be checking it out this time.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Most gas stations are outside though, and I very rarely come into close physical contact with anyone while gassing up. I mean that was my experience driving to Colorado. This is especially true when I get out of Oregon and can pump my own gas. As far as I know there is no guarantee the people on the plane are vaccinated or wearing their mask properly and I could be in immediate proximity to them for 2 hours or longer. I mean I hate driving and would almost always fly any other time, but I think the risk factor of 6 total fill ups is less than a fill up , two 2 hour flights, two trips on the shuttlebus to/from the airport, two trips through the security line, etc.. Plus by driving I bring all my own gear, which saves a hassle. I mean I guess I could pack it, but that would be a pain.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

What now?

Oregon, like New Jersey, does not allow a person to pump their own gas. So you have an attendant that comes up to the car and takes your payment and then runs the card and fills the tank. I hate it. Typically when I am getting gas outside of Oregon it is a solo affair.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The pumping gas thing is also hilarious with life-long Oregonians. A lot of them literally have never pumped gas before and don't know how. It is wild. I was teasing my girlfriend about it once as we were driving to my parents in Washington and she was like "Of course I know how to pump gas. I am not an idiot!". I pulled into the gas station and said "Good, my back is hurting me. Can you get out and pump the gas here?" And she gave me the dirtiest look I think I have ever seen.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Eejit posted:

Just bought these to replace some very badly abused Line Supernaturals. Ship Dec 15 but I ain't mad

I like em! I have the most boring topsheets on my skis. A grey Rossignol Smash 7 with some lime green accents and a ridiculous "spec ops" camo on my Spec Ops Senders (non-ti version).

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

You may be asking yourself, "How could we combine the latest crypto scam and skiing? They seem so incompatible!" Well, here is your answer:

https://www.bitski.com/openroadski/...8cCL8En6.WCShsj

(If you don't want to click through it is an auction for a James Niehaus NFT. Map of Telluride)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Partial Octopus posted:

I can't even stand the art direction lol. It's the most bro poo poo ever.

https://www.lib-tech.com/snowboard/mens-snowboards

It all just reminds me of bad 90s/00s alt rock album covers.

Do the people who buy those boards also ride in their Jncos?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Partial Octopus posted:

What mountain is this?

This is my guess:
Near Vista House on Breckenridge, top of Colorado Superchair.

I used my super slueth powers to make this guess:
Breckenridge is one of the few mountains I know is open
They only have two chairs/two trails open
Looked on Google maps

Would love to know how close I am, considering I have never been to Breckenridge.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My local mountain (Mt. Hood) had some snow, but lately it has been pure rain so has nothing right now. I have a trip to Park City planned for December 12th, and they have just pushed back their open date. I was a little worried that there would not be a lot of terrain open at the time, but now I am starting to worry about it opening at all by then.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

barkbell posted:

i rented a snowboard. the guy asked how i want my setup and i said im a beginner so i guess i have a duck setup i hope thats a good one

They are referring to the angle of the bindings to the board. A "duck" set up has the feet pointed slightly towards their respective ends of the board. This article goes into a lot more depth if you are interested and decide to pick up the hobby. If you rented the board for multiple days and are adventurous you can change the stance relatively easily.

https://snowboardingprofiles.com/what-are-the-best-snowboard-binding-angles-for-beginners

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I could see it as the foreword letter in the new employee manual, but it seems like it might have been a bit much to email it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I use phantom on all my skis. I imagine it would work equally well on snowboards. I have been really happy with it. It isn't as quick or slick as the first day of a new hot wax, but it is consistent. I would say it is like always 80% of a fresh wax. If you have a race or day where you want to go fast as possible you can still wax it as well.