Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There needs to be a much more awful sounding word for when it feels like your calf muscle is spontaneously trying to violently tear itself off of your leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
it feels really good when you stretch it out though.

Also drink more water.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The "charley" is charles manson. That's pretty bad.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There should be a body-horror movie where a guy suddenly has severe leg pain and is screaming and then right after his wife tries to tell him "honey, it's just a charley horse" a hideous creature rips through and emerges from the guy's leg

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

drink more water

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
i thought charley horses were in the thighs? in any case, calf cramps are crazy and one of worst pains ive ever had

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

i used to get these a lot and gently caress its awful, i had to phone in late to work the first time cause i didnt deal with it properly at all and i could barely walk for a few hours.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

lizardman posted:

There should be a body-horror movie where a guy suddenly has severe leg pain and is screaming and then right after his wife tries to tell him "honey, it's just a charley horse" a hideous creature rips through and emerges from the guy's leg

I think in the book The Long Walk, the first kid to die develops a sudden charlie horse and is executed while pleading how unfair it is.

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

Do we know why they're called that? Who was Charley, and why was he such a bastard?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Shin00bie posted:

Do we know why they're called that? Who was Charley, and why was he such a bastard?

i mean if it was named by the people who suffered it it'd just be called an aaaAAAAGGGGHHH hh hh hh hhsssssss

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Shin00bie posted:

it comes from the longer saying "Charley, I feel like I've been kicked in the thigh by a horse!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
why not thigh horse then

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah or painey leg

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I got a severe Charley horse in the deep end of the local swimming pools, right as the lifeguards were shepherding everyone out at closing. “I’ll just swim to the end and get out” I said. gently caress me.

Thank black Jesus for those lane ropes, my calf was so hosed up I could not stand at all for a good half hour after I dragged my rear end out of the pool.

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

Hmmmmm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I thought a Charley Horse was giving someone a good punch on a spot like your thigh, not just any old cramp.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

why not thigh horse then

bring back old gbs posted:

yeah or painey leg

these are both terrible ideas, you must be suffering from charley turtle!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mozi posted:

these are both terrible ideas, you must be suffering from charley turtle!

i like pain

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
I'm pretty sure someone just said it once and it stuck for no reason. A Charley Horse is different from a cramp. A cramp is an owie that stretches out easy. A Charley Horse puts you on your rear end until you can get it stretched out. It just needed a name. When I was a kid, we called it a "Chuck Horse" as we were close friends. Way too formal to call it a "Charles Horse".

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It's cAllee a dead leg in a lot of places internationally

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
A dead leg is different to a charley horse, they are incapasitatingly painful. It’s the difference between a headache and a migraine.

Charley horses make the muscle a weird distorted lumpy mess, I always found the muscle effected was rock hard until I kneaded it out.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I sometimes get a cool muscle spasm in my neck and it owns.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

504 posted:

A dead leg is different to a charley horse, they are incapasitatingly painful. It’s the difference between a headache and a migraine.

Charley horses make the muscle a weird distorted lumpy mess, I always found the muscle effected was rock hard until I kneaded it out.

what is incapasitatingly (sic) painful, the charles horse?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mooey Cow posted:

I sometimes get a cool muscle spasm in my neck and it owns.
If you have a tennis ball or preferably something harder put it on the floor and roll around on it in the quadratus lumborum part of your lower back which is this

in a circular motion for about five minutes on each side, moving it slightly up and down to hit all the spots. Then do the same for the infraspinatus fascia which is the flat smooth part that has little dips and valleys in it here

They're both huge byways for connective tissue in the back and are in my opinion the main stress areas that effect the neck, arms, erector spinae around the spine, and even down into the sciatic area. Starting with the QL tends to loosen up the upper back and make it easier to work out the scapula issues

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 29, 2018

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid, a "charley horse" was specifically a muscle cramp in your thigh, not your calf. I vaguely remember getting them, but I don't remember what caused them. Just running around? Did they happen spontaneously or as a result of tripping or getting kicked?

The excruciating calf cramp thing didn't start happening until adulthood.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
at least you can stretch a calf cramp out eventually, good luck finding a way to make a sartorius cramp go away and then every time you think about it for the next 8 hours it it feels like it's coming back.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArmZ posted:

drink more water

tetsuo posted:

it feels really good when you stretch it out though.

Also drink more water.
They probably need more potassium.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Apparently I didn’t know what a charley horse was until today

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Magnesium supplements help. I haven't had a single muscle cramp since I started taking one daily.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
protip: If you feel one coming on and you react quickly you can prevent it from seizing. What you need to do is immediately do the opposite of pointing your toe. You have to be fast though.

Shemp the Stooge fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 29, 2018

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Charles means warrior, it’s evocative of a horseman riding you down

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shemp the Stooge posted:

protip: If you feel one coming on and you react quickly you can prevent it from seizing. What you need to do immediately do the opposite of pointing your toe. You have to be fast though.

The problem is that if it's cramping really really hard, doing this will in fact not work and the end result is that your leg will be hosed for something like a week straight because of the muscle violently fighting compressing anyway, or whatever it is it does. I've only had this happen once, but it's really hosed up when it does.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Did you get it from a power sex move, OP?

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
It’s a reference to Charlton Horsey, an industrial era well-to-do who had an exaggerated chad like walk and was famous for kicking the calves of slow walkers.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
rename them gnarly horses, imo

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Ever get one of those cramps under your tongue? Those suck.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Kullik posted:

i used to get these a lot and gently caress its awful, i had to phone in late to work the first time cause i didnt deal with it properly at all and i could barely walk for a few hours.

Lmbo

Anyway the best remedy for charley horses: Club soda. Works every time

I wonder if charley horses happen more if your inactive though cause I seem to only get them when I’ve been super inactive for a long time

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This isn't really a charley horse, but I once pulled one of the muscles between my ribs sneezing, and it hurt so loving bad I thought I was having a heart attack. loving muscles.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Richard horse is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Icochet posted:

The "charley" is charles manson. That's pretty bad.

And the "horse" is slang for heroin

• Locked thread