Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I meant he might release more information tomorrow.

so did Papyrus get unpersoned somehow? That's distressing...he was my favorite...
What? No. He's just in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Samovar posted:

Also, what was with Raisel looking more like... Toriel at the end?
I don't think anything was specifically up with that. Raslei just has a magic hat that perfectly shadows his whole face. He always was a goat kid.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok I know it's pretty much just a jumble of letters and thus hard to remember, but the prince's name is Raslei!

E: gently caress i got it wrong too, this kid's name really is impossible to remember

It's Ralsei

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 31, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I really hope future chapters are just a straight continuation of the story as seems apparent and none of this meta theorizing is true (well ok it can be true but it should stay in the background and be ignorable). I never liked that aspect of Undertale to begin with, and I'm already extremely attached to all characters introduced in chapter one.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok that's basically my exact feelings except with 10 times more words than I would've put to it. And the best part is you didn't mention Sans or Gaster or multiverses once (because they're unimportant to this story!!!)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Larryb posted:

I also kind of find it interesting that, while this game clearly takes place on the surface, Kris is the only human (assuming really they are human) in a town almost entirely populated by monsters and nobody seems to really comment on this in-game. I wonder if that's going to factor in somehow later on.
I got one character to comment on this in a dialogue option, I don't remember where. But yes Kris is human and is the only one in town.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Whitenoise Poster posted:

So uh sorry in advance but if you hated the hidden secret stuff then your gonna probably be annoyed at this game considering the Gaster stuff is already right there in the main game and not hidden in secret variables or not normally accessible files.
No it's not??? I went through this game, knowing nothing about Gaster besides some wiki page I read a few years back, and came out of it still knowing nothing about Gaster. No one says that name. There are probably oblique hints that you'll catch if you're really looking for them, but that's the point, isn't it? You'll find it if you're looking for it and if you don't care, you can continue to not care.

E: VV Good post good post VV

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 4, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Man this is a bunch of pages back but that Sans theory that was posted is some good poo poo. The only thing that makes it kind of iffy I think is Papyrus who wouldn't be a Darkener I don't think.

But "they just showed up one day" :pcgaming:

I dunno if Toby intends for Sans to be as interesting as he is but he's the most intriguing character to me in both games. More so than Flowey, more so than Gaster, and whoever else has an aura of mystery about them.

I don't think he ever will because it would kind of ruin the mystery around him, but I'd love for Toby to go in depth into his life. I'd like to see that story.
He's just a funny skeleton man!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think Ralsei looks a bit too much like Snufkin

for it to be a coincidence. I hope it isn't coincidence, because I love the reference!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I saw it, but I couldn't enter.
When you knock the person who answers says "darling" which is a big red mettaton flag.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Gloomy Rube posted:

Is Muffet the mayor??
No. The mayor is Noelle's unseen mom.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Fangz posted:

Someone post that Dan Olson video again.
What what, what video

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nyaa posted:

Three have been emphasized throughout the game:

Three save slot, three party members, three headed monster, three slots puzzle, triangle shape delta, three key pieces, three egg total, etc.

I won’t be surprised if the full game need to play through all three slots (forced neutral, geno, pacifist) to complete the game.
I think this is some super wild speculation based on the fact that the game obeys the rule of threes like a million other games do.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dark world susie in the real world, smh

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

repiv posted:

reminder for those replaying chapter 1

the ball of junk in your inventory during the epilogue represents your dark world inventory, if you throw it away you lose all the stuff you just collected for chapter 2
ok 1: who is this warning for, who would actually do this deliberately

2: i thought you literally couldn't do this

3: i kinda doubt this would affect chapter 2 in any material way besides small easter eggs

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah I'm saying i would be surprised if any of the inventory from chapter 1 actually does anything in chapter 2 besides maybe some flavour text

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

gently caress i can't believe i forgot all about the original starwalker

that was one of my favourite gags from chapter 1 too

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The only thing I'm disappointed by is Noelle and Berdly seemingly having their character development soft-wiped away with that weird "actually it was all just a dream" swerve. I was hoping they'd be sticking around and in on the Dark World shenanigans from now on in some capacity and form the beginnings of a Scooby Gang with Kris and Susie.
Clearly this is going to happen, why else did we spend all of this chapter setting up their characters

I don't think there's any need to worry here

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Larryb posted:

Considering there’s still apparently 5 more chapters to go I’m hoping they start stepping things up a bit release wise (especially since Toby now as a full team backing him up)
i mean if they keep doing stuff like this their workload can only increase

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

for reasons i can't entirely articulate, the fact that this alternate route exists kind of sours me on the game actually

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just finished my chapter 1 replay with jevil this time

He's a really fun boss! I fought him for the weapon because i like having an excuse to actually use the damage dealing mechanics in this game. Took like five tries, i think.

Speaking if damage, this also made me realize a mechanic the game never (explicitly) points out. Most (all?) normal enemies will become tired when their hp falls below like 30%. In other words, attack power and the fight command aren't useless even if you want to do a full recruit run, and you can even take advantage of susie in the part in chapter 1 where she auto-attacks everything instead of wasting a turn warning every encounter. I actually like this a lot and i wish the game called some attention to it because otherwise most players will just never touch that fight button due to conditioning from undertale, I'm pretty sure

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

they actually still talk about you being able to do that in the ruins in the final game lol

pretty sure it's exactly only there to get you to kill toriel. i sure fell for it!

but yeah nice that the idea got reprised as a proper mechanic

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'm about 99% sure that they mention the enemies becoming tired if you beat on them a bit at some point in Chapter 1.
well i just played it and i didn't see that anywhere! and i didn't skip dialogue either!

at least if they do it's not obvious

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

also can we stop trying to call it "genocide" when that clearly is not what you're doing or what the point of the route is

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The worst thing about side b existing is that now every single stream of the game going forward is going to have one idiot in that chat going "did you know :) about the secret hosed up route :):)" and you won't be able to mention berdly anywhere without someone coming in with a hilariously original ice pun and/or "subtly" alluding to how he dies

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok i swear I'm not going to keep harping on this but please

It's not pacifist and it's not genocide

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

You're right. The route where you avoid violence and act friendly to get the best result shouldn't be called pacifist.
It shouldn't! Because you don't do that!! You can do literally whatever you want and fight as many enemies as you like, and unless you perform the very specific steps to get the other ending, you'll be getting the normal one, the same one everybody gets. The only difference you make in fighting is with the recruit system.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

in his ear?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

one thing i just noticed is that one of the popups you can "accidentally" click on when fighting poppup is "an ad for a video about making knives out of spaghetti."

this combined with the jello knives from their search history, seems like the kid is just really into weird knives!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Queadlunn posted:

Might be a reference to Kiwami Japan, a person that makes strange knives out of all kinds of materials, like jell-o/gelatin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oadf4KNYz-I
well now that i've learned this it clearly is, but it doesn't mean kris isn't also very clearly into knives

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ok i swear the spelling bit with noelle sometimes says "DECMBER" and other times correctly "DECEMBER"

i can't have twice missed a letter in the middle of it despite trying to pay attention

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

from a casual perusal of people playing this game (and undertale too) on stream and whatnot, i have observed that the overwhelming majority of players do not use the check command on every enemy, or heck, any enemy

these people do not deserve rights

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

I apologize, when it gets time for fightin and sparin I immediately shift gears to “efficient JRPG player” mode so using Check tended to fall by the wayside, especially at the beginning when Kris is the only party member that can ACT.

Please have mercy :shittypop:
you all missed berdly's description in fight 2 being "usually he only gets this mad when you play video games together"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

because toby knows he's popular and wants to tease the playerbase and/or has something more extensive planned for him

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ok so is there anything in this room where the hacker is going "hmmm it seems like there's a SECRET here" or am i mashing interact on all the surfaces for no reason

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

wow. i would not have thought of that

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ok so here's a question

how do you get the ending where berdly doesn't gently caress himself up escaping from the wire. i'm trying and i can't get it to happen

because it isn't determined by how you fight the queen. i just tried several variations on tactics (only fighting, only acts, etc) and none of them resulted in any change.

it also isn't determined by if you've recruited every enemy because i've done that

the only things i can think of is that i fought berdly both times he appears instead of using acts, and i fought spamton neo (which really shouldn't have an effect on anything if jevil is to go by)

the scenes after those two berdly fights are identical no matter if you act or fight so i really thought that didn't matter either but maybe???

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

You have to act on Berdly whenever you're able to. I think you can only loosen his plug if her wall isn't up. You have to focus on Berdly basically. Once you fully loosen his plug the fight ends
yes i know how the fight works lmao i just did it three times

doing that changes nothing about how it ends. clearly something else needs to be done before it can happen.

the next logical experiment is to see if you are in the state where you can get the "good" ending to the fight if then FIGHTing the boss changes things at all but i'm not replaying this game immediately for a third time for that!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hogama posted:

Here's the related image.
oh hey hey here's another instance of ralsei being referred to like his existence is vague or there's nothing to him (the other one being the ralsei tea)

Brandfarlig posted:

We do know that falling down/turning to dust still applies. Monsters bury something related to the person because there's no body.
we don't know that. that is somewhat implied by the priest's dialogue which is extremely not the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Regallion posted:

On a different note:
You know how after you first exit the school, you can't go anywhere but the library, because of a traffic jam? Where the everloving heck did that come from? You can walk around the entire town, and the only exit out of it is blocked with police tape. There is no parking outside of 2 small lots, one in front of the town hall and one behind the PEZZA place, both of which are largely empty. Even more concerning, when you examine the gray cars, only one of them is said to contain a person.
And even if we pretend that everyone has a secret underground parking garage...where would the cars even be going? south and east are both dead ends (church/bunker and school respectively), north is largely a dead end and west is where the cars are coming from (how).

What's up with that?
i believe this is a Joke