Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Suburban Dad posted:

Pick up a used gen 1 volt. They are dirt loving cheap with low miles. If you can get over the million buttons and tankiness (you really feel how heavy it is) it's a great car that's massively over engineered. Once the gen 2s dip down (hopefully they depreciate well, too :v:) then I may jump on one.
I've considered buying one a few times in the past year. They don't drive terrible and other than feeling like just another boring appliance they aren't bad. When the VW finally dies if I don't replace it with another cheap mk4 tdi it'll be a mk1 volt.

No kids for Halloween again but I sure as hell wouldn't let my kids walk on this road. I figure when we have a kid we'll go over to wherever the step-mother is living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

As everyone else in the thread said already, daycare. They swim in a sea of germs, and bring it home. 14 months old now and it's been a rough year for colds.
This is one of the big things that I'm worried about when we do finally have a kid. Wife makes too much to not work so they'll be going to day care bringing all sorts of nasty crap home. I'm immunosuppressed so if I'm in the same room as someone sick I'll get it. Everything hits me a lot harder too.

cakesmith handyman posted:

These seem to be 47mm centre bore, I need 58 I think, any decent wheel refurb place will bore those out right?
Yup, that's pretty common and should be no problem as long as there's enough material

BraveUlysses posted:

the largest one is a 105 foot single piece of carbon composite
:fap:

Pulled a 20 hour work day Tuesday, slept three hours then was getting ready to head back in as normal. Wife asked me wtf I was thinking and told me I wasn't going in. So glad she did, I would have been dangerous behind the wheel and useless if I had made it in. Slept off and on yesterday but still feeling run down.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

keykey posted:

Side note: Anybody else playing Fallout 76?
How is it? Early beta reviews said the game was fun but needed a lot of fixes. I enjoyed 4, recently went back and replayed it, so I may pick it up. I've been playing Diablo 3 on the switch and it's scratching my ARPG loot need while I wait for the next season of Path of Exile.

Fermented Tinal posted:

gently caress.

Not even 2 weeks old.
poo poo sorry man

InitialDave posted:

My 7-8 year old i2500k seems to run it acceptably, completely sidestepping the supposed minimum requirements. 12gb of RAM and the 2gb R7 gpu I got for Fallout 4.
I've got the 3.3Ghz in my sim rig and it works great for almost everything I've thrown at it. Actually have it running world computing grid and heating the basement at the moment.

T-Square posted:

Guess I'll get hammered at the show and go buy the new Pokemon game tomorrow and re-live my childhood. :shrug:
Look forward to the drunk snaps, I'll send doggo in return as usual

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

:goshawk: And as the seasons begin to change, the new generation of Winter Project Threads start blooming all around us~*~*~*~

North bound dragging a Datsun the whole way

Miata Is Always The Answer: A long time coming

Slow old diesel leaf sprung Toyota 4wds (no rust this time)

Tin Top Troubles

Winter project time is always good reading, good recommendations. Need to start a thread when we tear into the locost for full cage, pedal box, rewiring and logging dash. Hey maybe I'll even mess with the f20c m3 a bit.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I was looking at the specs on my sim rig gpu the other day because the guys at work were bragging about their computers. Mine isn't anything too fancy by todays standards but I found out it does support VR. Now I'm trying to justify VR for iRacing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

spog posted:

Looking for UK tools on Amazon's sale, I found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wera-05003755001-Zyklop-Ratchet-4-inch/dp/B07B82MKJM

Is it wrong for a socket set to give you an erection?

Nope, erection is completely normal for WERA gear.

I bought the Koloss a couple years ago, love it. Yes it's a 1/2 inch ratchet made for beating on things. It's also good for 600 nm (440 ftlb) so I never bother with a breaker bar anymore.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adding humidity to the house is nice in the winter, especially with gas heat. Even with out all electric, which I hate, we run room humidifier in the bedroom most of the winter.

First time I saw the massive humidifiers they stick in data centers activate I was worried something was wrong. A group of sprayers in one corner of the room turn on for what felt like 10 seconds and spray a fine mist into the air. Looks like a group of garden sprayers and it's weird.

We did family photos the other weekend. Finn the monster mutt was the star and photographer wanted him to stay the day because every kid that saw him before and after our shoot couldn't stop smiling. Look at this photogenic bastard.

edit: did my black friday consumerism part, 55" 4k smart tv for $350 and I didn't have to leave the couch. Not the best tv out there but at that price point it'll be hard to beat and will be a massive upgrade in picture quality to the 45" we have now. Now I have to wall mount the 45" in the bedroom

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 23, 2018

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

meatpimp posted:

We had Thanksgiving at my wife's sister's house yesterday. They have a 4 month old Bernese. Holy poo poo is that a cool bundle of fur. Right now it's like one of my daughter's fluffy stuffed animals, only alive.

Very cool dog. How bad do they blow their coats?
Four month's is fun, probably still has most of it's puppy coat. When Finn blew his puppy coat a few months ago I was vacuuming twice a day and brushing him ever night. It lasts for a week or two but it's a LOT of fur. Mom has three of them in the house and another in the kennel most of the time so she vacuums twice a day year round.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

In fairness, they're insane when it comes to doing what they want with their house. They found out there was brick under the drywall surrounding their fireplace, so they pulled down all the drywall. Then they found out that the previous owner had attached the drywall with liquid nails. Lots of it. So they had to wire-wheel the liquid nails off of the brick, floor to ceiling. This got a lot of brick colored dust stuck to their ceiling, which led to scraping the popcorn.
My old house had a massive mirror on the wall above the bed in the master bedroom. I went to remove it one day, loosened the four clamps I thought were holding it to the wall and found out it was glued on. When we later went to sell the house our realtor said it needed to go. Peeled it away slowly and carefully but ended up replacing all the drywall under it because it was less work than repairing the existing drywall.

keykey posted:

Scrub the walls with TSP first, then use some Kilz Max. It's about $35 a gallon, so only use it where you need to with soot stains, but Kilz makes amazing products. We use regular Kilz paint in rentals with smokers after TSP'ing the walls, otherwise, the yellowing comes back through normal primer/paint.
Kilz makes really good stuff. We've had really good results in the past with several of their paints.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

I wish there was One Weird Trick (TM) or product I could purchase to instantly make organizing my garage easy. I'm going to take time off of work between xmas and new years to get it cleaned up, but it's one of those things where I have so much poo poo in there I really need to pull lots of things out to make room to organize it properly (moved from a place with a huge garage to a place with a small garage). I have some built in cabinets right now, but I think what I really need are more storage units to hold random items. I have some plastic dresser things which I hate because they don't open and close well when you have items in them. I guess multiple harbor freight tool carts would help, but it's kind of a pricey solution.

I've been trying to pick away at my garage and organize it a little bit every weekend but it's overwhelming. I think I'm going to set a rule to make it easier for me to throw things out...something like if I haven't used it in 6 months and it's less than $25 toss/donate it. Things <$50 that I havne't used in 6+ months are getting listed for sale. At least that's what I'm thinking.

I also need to organize and wire the unfinished basement side of the garage which requires me to move out four cars, two motorcycles and a ton of stuff.

For shelving I picked up four big shelves at Sams club for ~$50 a piece. Think they're rated for a couple hundred pounds per level and seem to be holding up fine with engines and transmissions on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Hey so has anyone used anyone used an auto shipper here before?
Sent you a PM for the broker I've used in the past

• Locked thread