Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

freelop posted:

I won't get the Christmas decs out for some time but I have been collecting AI:SS bits throughout the year

I am actually stoked because I got something for AI:SS this week too.

Halloween was a good one. We had tons of kids, my parents came to my house and my dad went around with me for a while with the kids while Mrs. Heroic and my mom hung out at house to pass out candy. My kids and a friend went around for two hours. They got a ton of candy, but not as much as you would think going around for that long. They were so slow, celebrating every single treasure after every single door.

Being a dad is good :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

slothrop posted:

Today has been a pretty productive day. It started poorly but improved.

Old piece of poo poo dishwasher finally gave up. Seeing as the house is going to be bowled/renovated sometime next year there's no justification for buying a new dishwasher. I managed to find one on Gumtree for $50 though, newer and in good working order.

Nice. I skimped out on middle finger photos but our washing machine stopped spinning for the drain cycle but was doing to agitation wash just fine. Cursory googling and youtubing lead me to believe it was the switch actuator thingy that holds either an optical or hall effect sensor for the basket. Found it online for ~$30. Swapped it out in about 40 minutes and we are back in business.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

A local group of California far leftist enforcement troops came to my house and forcibly made me to do a burnout today :( they want to legislate that everyone have an LSD because 1 tire burnouts ruin the, I quote, """"environment"""" Thanks alot, LIBERALS

Your move, sithlords :smugdon:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

the spyder posted:

Random thought: Figuring out what to do with your life at 34 is a pain in the rear end...

Though not 34 for a few months I’m going to get a vasectomy in the coming weeks. So that part of life is figured out.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Excellent news. I will he signing up tomorrow!

All: you should definitely do this. I will be participating in my third and it has been awesome every time.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Anyone interested in a Automotive Photography thread, ie discussion on how tos / cameras etc?

Yes. I’d like to learn more.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I have registered for AI:SS

I have voted :911: Some things were voted for, other things were voted against.

I am questioning my ability to have a skunk as a pet.

November 6th is a hell of a ride :thunk:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Well it appears Utah chose a middle aged upper middle class white man over a black woman for congress. The race is too close to call just yet so it will be Thursday or Friday before it is official. both choices were terrible tbh and while having personally met and known McAdams I hope the Washington machine doesn't swallow him whole because he is actually a decent person Utah also chose for better access to medicinal marijuana (also not proposed for what actually needs to be done) but I have strong feeling that the Utah state gov't will bork it all up in no time and what actually needs to be done will be botched up as per usual.

High turnout for voting though. So that is good.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Holy poo poo it’s time to ban politichat again.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

A friend of mine suggested I watch this and I watched all four episodes in one sitting.

I have showed up to work today and all I can think about is all my life's choices leading me to where I am and how I wish I was doing something like they are doing. I want to be putting together Formula 1 cars or working with a Formula 1 team.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

everdave posted:

Wrote a letter once maybe 2002-3? It actually worked and we got back together only to break up even worse shortly after. And then she got married on tv (not making this up)

This is the kind of thing that piques my curiosity.

TDF I’m so sorry for your situation. It takes a long time to get over a relationship. I had some that were progressing towards marriage but when they ended it sucked. Usually lost weight (and sleep) and generally didn’t know how to re-enter the dating world. Take time and work on yourself. Like someone else said make something with your hands, go get one of those bitching LEGO sets and a membership to a gym or something. (Im not very good at internet advice)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

So every single day for the past few months we get a robocall from some debt collection agency. The problem is by the time we pick up the call the automatic recorded message is more than half through so we only catch the back half of the name of the business and that it is from a debt collection agency.

I have called the number back a few times and they only tell me "well your phone number is not in our system" well no poo poo, you think perhaps someone is just forwarding all calls via something like a Google Voice number? This poo poo is so irritating. If I knew who they were trying to call I would personally drag them to the doorstep of the collection agency and hand them over.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

I average 7 spam calls a day. I pretty much don't answer unless you're a contact in my phone.

Same, but this is the main phone line of where I work, used for inbound sales/technical help. It is super irritating. I put in a request to block the number with our phone provider, that might work...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Scrubs was IS the best. Do you wear crocs though?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Babies walking are fun. Our littlest is nearing 18 months and he was the slowest to walk. He was the slowest to crawl. We really didn't force the issue :v: He yells and screams with excitement when I get home from work and comes bounding towards me now. It is the best part of my day :3:

Getting sick is gross. Our oldest is in first grade and so she brings stuff home. It has been pretty mild so far but when at Costco last week I heard so many people dying that I know the grossness is upon us.

Late to the LotR chat but I watched The Hobbit trilogy and the extended blu-ray of LotR over the course of a month on my basement home theater after we got it set up. The LotR came out when I was in high school and I was pleased to see how well they hold up (the REALLY hold up). That alone makes me excited for that new Mortal Engines thingy Peter Jackson is involved with, which I know nothing about.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Y’all obviously got my baby sick with cold chat so thanks for that. Came home and when he woke from his nap he had a deep cough and labored breathing. :( Have the humidifier going in the nursery tonight.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Worked okay on you?

Are you implying that Rhyno had funsexytimes on his new LVT?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Reporting for spam.

Really though, I don't think you need to do this for AI:SS and this in like every thread. Regulars will see it and if interested, participate.

Sheep game is the best game. I don't mind the notes.

We are just completing our week of sales at work from Black Friday. It was gnarly this year which is a good problem, but man it has taken all of my mental capacity to execute many decisions every second of every day.

Rhyno - your house is awesome! It will look so good when it is all done. Speaking of painting and trim etc. this is a project we are just putting the finishing touches on for our house. We did some wainscoting in our front entry and main living room. My wife has really wanted it, we will gradually be painting walls and will probably end up paying someone to paint our ceilings because they are high and pretty big. We also did a bit of a make over in our office. Photo is still work in progress with paint caulking touchup not done and the daylight windows not having the shiplap cut out all the way. I have liked how it turned out.

My father in law built this bench for us, pretty awesome. We will get some coat hooks hung soon.

My father in law built the desk which just rests on the filing cabinets that I refinished and painted with charcoal grey chalk paint. He built the floating shelves as well. This is intended for space so our kids have a place to color/draw and eventually do homework stuff.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I need to get a Christmas tree like that.
We have a decent 7' artificial, but, until we clear some space in the house, it's tough to find a place to put it up (we have too much poo poo), it's so wide at the base. Last year I only assembled the top two thirds and put that in the stand.

I am embarrassed to admit but that is actually our second tree. We have a more traditional one in the front room. I told my wife we did not need a second tree but it is apparent how that conversation ended.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

We're on the cusp of canceling ourselves. If not for a few shows we'd have done so already.

Speaking of videos - who else has been watching the Gymkhana Files? I got caught up last night and it is real drat good.

We seem to have spurts of buying stuff from Prime. We will probably keep it because they have easy/fast selection on specialty foods for my wife's dietary needs. I have been trying to shift more purchasing to either local stores or independent webstores though. Amazon for a time was a more efficient sexier eBay but now it is just flooded with garbage as others have said.

As poorly as they treat their employees I can also confirm they treat their marketplace vendors like trash as well with truly horrific policies that you "agree" to. We had a heyday couple of years on a few key items through my workplace with Amazon. We fortunately saw the collapse and pulled back before losing out on a bottom line figure I am not even willing to hint at.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

The beater Mazda6 popped the battery light on the way home from work. I turned everything off because I figured the alternator must have died. I was fortunate to make it home. I swapped it out last night, but the replacement is a bit...loud and gravelly sounding. I bet I will be doing the job again within a year. It is the third time I have swapped alternator. Installing the serpentine belt on your own in that car is a total kick in the dick.

But hey I got it done without incident in a short amount of time last night so :toot:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Charles posted:

Parts store alternators are notoriously bad. At least get the lifetime warranty ones so you're swapping them for free.

Oh yeah. The first one died like in a year. This recent one has worked great for a while now. With as many times as I have done this now it actually doesn't bother me much it probably should bother me

Geoj posted:

Sent you a PM, I've got an alternator for a first-gen 2.3 taking up space in my garage that you might be able to use...

Very cool! I have replied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Powershift posted:

I'm over drywall anchors. I'm a stud man now.

meatpimp posted:

Disagree.

I agree with these two things. The one meatpimp is showing off is good. They also have some that are a cast metal. They work much better when it comes to removal and patching too.

• Locked thread