Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

I thought a 'popcorn ceiling' was the same as 'Artex' and you guys who removed it were truly suffering.

But that clean job inspired me to look it up and it is just paper or Styrofoam?

If you want to remove Artex, it's easier to burn down your house and rebuild it without Artex than it is to scrape it off.

Talking of fire, doesn't it being make of paper or foam make it a terrible fire hazard?

Agreed. Rhyno is making it sound hard yet it just looks like some straightforward scraping!

My house was artexed in all but one bedroom...

Come back when you’ve got to strip the artex off a whole room/house Rhyno and then I’ll give you some sympathy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
It's that time of the year again, where instead of taking down decorations we just add more holidays to them.

Also, while Beat Saber is hard, it's drat hard if you put even small ankle weights on your wrists.

Holy gently caress after just like twenty minutes I am dead. Gonna feel this tomorrow. Still haven't fixed the bike wheel so another 20 minutes or so and this'll be today's nerdy exercise. (The game scores you not by note accuracy, but by arc of your swing. And it measures total distance, so no cheating by flicking wrists.)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

da muthafuckin share z0ne

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Queen Combat posted:

It's that time of the year again, where instead of taking down decorations we just add more holidays to them.

Also, while Beat Saber is hard, it's drat hard if you put even small ankle weights on your wrists.

Holy gently caress after just like twenty minutes I am dead. Gonna feel this tomorrow. Still haven't fixed the bike wheel so another 20 minutes or so and this'll be today's nerdy exercise. (The game scores you not by note accuracy, but by arc of your swing. And it measures total distance, so no cheating by flicking wrists.)

The ole DBZ method. Once you do that for a while you'll be able to punch through walls.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Thought it would be fun for a laugh. Turns out it's loving difficult. Not gonna become my main method of play, but I'm enjoying it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I played DDR in college for my nerdy exercise, if it makes you feel less nerdy. :cool: I got all the chicks.

Narrator: He didn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not hard, it's fuckin messy. I'm so glad we opted to do this now rather than waiting til we moved in.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Just found ~400 magic the gathering cards from between 1995 and 1997. Spent an hour organizing them into editions and alphabetically then referenced some websites and apparently the rarest one is worth like $1.50. Most are worth like $0.14. :downs:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
On the bright side you could just burn them

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Burn pre-RoHS inks? Nothankyou

E: nvm I'm dumb and thinking of solder mask

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Queen Combat posted:

E: nvm I'm dumb and thinking of solder mask
eh, still a bunch of funny hydrocarbons in em. not particularly great to inhale after combustion.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm full speed ahead back at the piano. Any piano players in here? Gimme some of your favorite classical piano music!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adiabatic posted:

I'm full speed ahead back at the piano. Any piano players in here? Gimme some of your favorite classical piano music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN7EfjwkKMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5I0vwcxLwA

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 29, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

https://youtu.be/p_c6uQHlhZ0

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I don't get the hate for popcorn ceiling. I guess I just accept that it's there and it does its job. It leaves me alone, I leave it alone.

My friends who are currently scraping theirs said they hate it because it's impossible to wash it. I just replied with the fact that I've never washed a ceiling in my life.

In fairness, they're insane when it comes to doing what they want with their house. They found out there was brick under the drywall surrounding their fireplace, so they pulled down all the drywall. Then they found out that the previous owner had attached the drywall with liquid nails. Lots of it. So they had to wire-wheel the liquid nails off of the brick, floor to ceiling. This got a lot of brick colored dust stuck to their ceiling, which led to scraping the popcorn.

Way too much work for me, I would have just re-glued new drywall back up.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

I don't get the hate for popcorn ceiling. I guess I just accept that it's there and it does its job. It leaves me alone, I leave it alone.

Yeah. I mean maybe I was exposed to too much popcorn ceiling as a child but the effort vs. reward is way way off for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are soot stains on it in several rooms. You cant clean it or paint over it so it must die.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

There are soot stains on it in several rooms. You cant clean it or paint over it so it must die.

And you've probably noticed plenty of dust dingleberries as well too

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
CentOS is a oval office of an operating system. Why is everything stupid?

That is all.

No wait, it isn't, my horrible boss has her last day tomorrow, that's cause for celebration. :byewhore:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You can definitely paint popcorn ceilings

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

They found out there was brick under the drywall surrounding their fireplace, so they pulled down all the drywall. Then they found out that the previous owner had attached the drywall with liquid nails. Lots of it. So they had to wire-wheel the liquid nails off of the brick, floor to ceiling. This got a lot of brick colored dust stuck to their ceiling, which led to scraping the popcorn.

Sounds like the average escalating house project. :v:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

bolind posted:

CentOS is a oval office of an operating system. Why is everything stupid?

That is all.

No wait, it isn't, my horrible boss has her last day tomorrow, that's cause for celebration. :byewhore:

...what? CentOS is, like, the best *free open-source Linux for enterprise environments. What're you comparing it against, SuSE or something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryrobots posted:

You can definitely paint popcorn ceilings

It's not exceptionally easy and even the professional we were going to have do this suggested removal due to the age. It crumbles to the touch.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:frogsiren: SHEEP :frogsiren:
:frogsiren: GAME :frogsiren:

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Rhyno posted:

It's not exceptionally easy and even the professional we were going to have do this suggested removal due to the age. It crumbles to the touch.

Super easy with a spray gun. But if it's that old eh.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Just found ~400 magic the gathering cards from between 1995 and 1997. Spent an hour organizing them into editions and alphabetically then referenced some websites and apparently the rarest one is worth like $1.50. Most are worth like $0.14. :downs:

I did this when I was in High School, but with a few hundred un-opened Hot Wheels cars. Same result.

I wonder what I did with those, it's been ten years :thunk:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usGQjN87BUA

Classic piano use :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

:siren: SHEEP GAME, YOU MALCONTENTS :siren:

Reporting for spam.

Really though, I don't think you need to do this for AI:SS and this in like every thread. Regulars will see it and if interested, participate.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Scrub the walls with TSP first, then use some Kilz Max. It's about $35 a gallon, so only use it where you need to with soot stains, but Kilz makes amazing products. We use regular Kilz paint in rentals with smokers after TSP'ing the walls, otherwise, the yellowing comes back through normal primer/paint.

Kilz Max: https://www.kilz.com/primer/kilz-max
TSP: https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAVOGRAN-1-lb-Box-TSP-Heavy-Duty-Cleaner-10621/202935861

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We've scrubbed, the stains are still visible. We're using a similar product to Kilz, it's what my wife's company uses in their units and works very well.

The basement molding is not going to be easy to remove which is throwing a wrench in my painting plans. I tried gently prying it away but it's not coming loose. It just won't pop off, there may be some epoxy on the lower edge of it. So I guess I gotta get good at painting it in place!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So 1969 Mustang Fastbacks. Mint ones go for about ~25-35k here in Sweden it seems. I'm not really a american car guy, but who doesn't love a Mustang. A $3300 one shows up. This is the only photo: and the description sucks. It bascially only says that it's for someone who's "able", which means it doesn't run or pass inspection. Of course I'm interested. It seems very cheap though, so either someone who doesn't have a clue, or it's properly poo poo. It wouldn't surprise me if it's sold before the weekend.

I do love the fastbacks though.... heart says go for it. Brain says "Where are you going to get parts in Europe, you idiot".

Edit: VVVV Actually.... found one UK parts dealer and it's not too bad.... o poo poo..

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 29, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrOnBicycle posted:

Brain says "Where are you going to get parts in Europe, you idiot".

Get the used parts from all the pretty boys who are fixing up $25k ones. I can't think of a car that would be easier to find parts for than a 60s Mustang, even in Sweden - most of those parts probably come from China now anyway.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

So 1969 Mustang Fastbacks. Mint ones go for about ~25-35k here in Sweden it seems. I'm not really a american car guy, but who doesn't love a Mustang. A $3300 one shows up. This is the only photo: and the description sucks. It bascially only says that it's for someone who's "able", which means it doesn't run or pass inspection. Of course I'm interested. It seems very cheap though, so either someone who doesn't have a clue, or it's properly poo poo. It wouldn't surprise me if it's sold before the weekend.

I do love the fastbacks though.... heart says go for it. Brain says "Where are you going to get parts in Europe, you idiot".

I'm a complete novice but I have to imagine the only way that thing couldn't be restored is if the floor pan is eaten through with rust

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are like 4 different companies that make new floors for old Mustangs.

mewse
May 2, 2006

And that's why I don't know what I'm talking about

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

MrOnBicycle posted:

Edit: VVVV Actually.... found one UK parts dealer and it's not too bad.... o poo poo..

I have a BMW in Australia and often end up buying parts from the USA ( I really wish UK had more online shops). Postage isn't cheap ($us45 min, up to $99 for either a loaded box or a couple of large items), so parts availability is not going to be a problem and would not be a deal breaker.
Big question is how good are you at welding?
If you aren't then are local rust/welding guys available? If everyone in your area has new cars maybe there's no shops, or maybe what few that are left are cheap, or horrendously expensive.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 29, 2018

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Fo3 posted:

I have a BMW in Australia and often end up buying parts from the USA. Postage isn't cheap ($us45 min, up to $99 for either a loaded box or a couple of large items), so parts availability is not going to be a problem and would not be a deal breaker.
Big question is how good are you at welding?

Never welded and don't own a welder. I am planning to learn in the future though. It's not just shipping, but import tax as well. 10% customs + 25% VAT kinda stings. Maybe I should stick to Euro cars or buy a nice condition Mustang in the future to scratch that itch.
A man can dream! Realistically I don't have time for it anytime soon anyway, but it seemed like a very cheap car. Lord knows I've missed out on those before by not having time/trailer etc. Should probably finish university before taking on projects.

Brain wins... again...
I'm also a stubborn idiot and want to do everything myself, so any project I take on I'll probably want do most myself apart from maybe sending off an engine for machining.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Suburban Dad posted:

Reporting for spam.

Really though, I don't think you need to do this for AI:SS and this in like every thread. Regulars will see it and if interested, participate.

Lots of people browse the forums only through their bookmarked threads and making things stickies is a bit of a curse since even if you look at the forums directly people tune out the stickies.

Personally I think it's a good idea to spread it around, past threads had a few comments of having missed it due to not finding the threads in time.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

E: f,b

Suburban Dad posted:

Reporting for spam.

every time we do an event/activity thread there's someone who comes in after a deadline all 'aaaaaaaaaa i missed out wish someone told me about it in a thread that's in my bookmarks' so Adi is helping out by promoting these fun things and I for one appreciate it.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bajaha posted:

Lots of people browse the forums only through their bookmarked threads and making things stickies is a bit of a curse since even if you look at the forums directly people tune out the stickies.

Personally I think it's a good idea to spread it around, past threads had a few comments of having missed it due to not finding the threads in time.

If you guys can tolerate my low quality, uninformative and dull posting; you can tolerate those useful posts.

• Locked thread