Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Well, one breaks, so you buy another one for parts, and then think about making *that* one roadworthy, so you buy another parts car, or maybe a runner, then other people notice you have a few RX-7s and say “I know where one of those is and the guy wants to get rid of it” or “hey you want the one in my backyard cheap?”, and before you know it, you have a herd, or gaggle, or whatever.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Basically, as mass increases, they just start attracting other rotaries. It’s physics.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mine actually aren't rusty, except for the few small bits I've pointed out in my thread.
They are all immobile currently, however. I think I could get the FC functional without a whole lot of work, but I don't have a title for that one.
So, yeah.

FWIW, I have never owned a BMW or a Subaru. I've only driven BMW once (nasty E30 convertible that I helped repo. I've never seen so many warning lights on at once.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Hadn't driven an 80s or 90s Chrysler by then I take it?

Yes, but have you ever seen how many warning/reminder ights an '80s E30 had? There were a bunch in the dash cluster, *then* there was a pod above the inside rearview mirror. Jesus Christ, there was a light for EVERYTHING. Brakes, oil change, several types of CEL, various outside lighting, I don't even remember what else. Owner was a scuzz who trashed the leased 318 convertible, and clearly never had any maintenance whatsoever done. Also, he didn't pay for the car.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I hope your family has a nice big banana cream pie for Thanksgiving.

Oh my God. :lol:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nm posted:

Have you talked about any of this like a rational adult?

I've gathered that has not gone well. You may recall previous posts regarding conversations re: jobs and sleep times are rather... non-compromising from the distaff side.

edit: I'd like to note that I hate that this is happening. STR seemed happy, and it looked like he was heading for a good thing at the beginning. Guess you really don't know someone until you live with them for a while.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 5, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

If you get one, you have to call it Lockheed.

That Works.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

So they totally fired a dude today because he's been eating food out of the fridges in the break rooms.

That's break ROOMS. His badge was flagged going into buildings he doesn't work in and they got curious and checked the cameras and his dumbass was going to the various rooms and stuffing his face.

Good. There's a special hell reserved for fucksticks like that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mewse posted:

Yeah I was just gonna edit my post that maybe it's a small 3 jaw puller using the outward facing side of the jaws

Most pullers you can reverse the jaws, but what you're wanting may be a bit smaller than those can go.

Gingerbread House Music posted:

You can get an oil seal puller for $5-20 bucks at most shops.

Ah, there you go?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mewse posted:

I’ve been laughing at this story from the blizz sub forum of all places

Funny, I would have thought that Elton John would be right up their alley, what with all the leather chaps, studs and tassels. (I never get tired of pointing out exactly how gay BDSM most wannabe bikers actually look. Not because *I* think gay is bad, but because they do - or claim to.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fo3 posted:

Florida, texas and georgia disappoints, as always. E: and missouri IIRC. One of our local TV stations gets PBS news hour every day so they have access to their broadcasts already. They devoted 9am-1pm (my local time) to their mid-terms election coverage special.

To me it's loving obscene and insane that voting is optional, so billions get wasted in advertising trying to get people to vote.
If it was compulsory to vote like it is in Australia then I think election spending would be lower as they don't need to motivate people to get off their arse to show up. There's still some ads here, but as they know you're going to show up at a polling booth they can concentrate the ads there at the time you vote for maximum effect and minimum cost.
If everyone has to vote, it means way less ads annoying everyone on TV, less robo calls and less marketing needed. Save billions! You could even afford to have a vote on a weekend and have a democracy sausage sizzle then.
E2: Instead of compulsory voting and cheaper campaigns the USA is like restrict voters and maximize cost. Nice system.

We also like to put election days on weekdays to minimize worker turnout. Though early voting has minimized that a bit.

Beto lost by only 150K votes, or about 2.4%. I apologize for us inflicting "Human, no, really!" Cruz on America again.
I don't know how well compulsory voting would fly in the US, to be honest, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. Ironocally, I'm sure someone would complain about the lack of freedom to not vote. Would be better if there were a "non of the above" option.

What in the actual gently caress. It angers me beyond words that the Trump administration is making these filth feel safe and bold enough to come out of the dunghills.

Fender Anarchist posted:

god i want to pound people's faces and i hate that i want that

I hate that, as far as I can tell, sometimes that appears to be the only viable remedy, not just for this.

Fender Anarchist posted:

^^I started hormones on monday so I doubt there's been time for that yet.

yeah the whole "realizing who i am" thing and sorting out the fallout from that has been the main thing that's kept me from really making plans, it started hitting right after i graduated and had a lot more free time to reflect. now i've got my meds, i've got a prescription as precedent, and i've got a literal life-or-death reason to blow this loving joint.

gently caress do I hate that it's happening like this.

Got a long-time friend who started transiti for the second time - they backed out of the first time a few years ago due to fears of family and friend disapproval. I'm happy to say that I'm one of the friends that was told with no such fears. They're going full bore with the hormones and such this time, and it's really loving with (now) her mental state. Self-worth issues and such.

Rhyno posted:

Everyone here supports you. We're a bunch of disfunctional assholes but at least none of us are racist bigots. Get the gently caress out of there for your own health and safety.

What he said.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

No it's not. I choose not to vote and wouldn't appreciate being forced to do it.

The question then becomes: if you don't participate in the state, are you entitled to the protections of it?

QuarkMartial posted:

Now I'm seeing all this stuff about if you don't like the results to organize and all that poo poo.

gently caress that. I have jobs and obligations and other responsibilities that keep me from babysitting the goddamned government. It is not too much to ask that our elected officials not be Nazis and act as responsible individuals.

And lovely politicians count on that. Most of us are far too busy just actually living and making enough money to eat and not be out in the rain, to actually afford the time to truly understand most issues and legislation. That's why stuff gets distilled down to sound bites and hot-buttons. The rich better watch their asses, though. When you get enough people out of work and/or dissatisfied, they suddenly have enough time to think about stuff, and then do something about it.

It's got nothing to do with apathy, I just don't like any of them so I'm not voting.

The lesser of two evils argument is something I don't buy into either. I have a choice, so I choose not to vote when I'm not happy with any of the candidates.

That's why we need the none of the above option.

IOwnCalculus posted:

You don't have to choose which, but you're still getting force-fed one or the other.

Also because of that.

edit: oog. Sorry so big.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

So what would happen if that was actually the highest vote-getter?

As it stands now, "I choose not to vote" is functionally the same as "I vote for whoever more people vote for".

Generally the concept seems to be similar to a vote of no confidence, i.e. try again, with different, better people this time.

Gingerbread House Music posted:

That's not how it works.

I for one, am going to tell a non-voter to go gently caress off the second he or she makes any comments about the state of things government. You had your chance to say something, and that something was silence, so keep doing that until the next election.

spog posted:

I'd like to apologise for starting vote chat.

It's OK, we all topple a domino now and again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

She gave me back the ring

Wait, what?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ilkhan posted:

The suicide rate along trans- is something obscenely high, like 30x higher than average iirc? Something like that. Be safe trans- goons. And condolences for your friends.

I would imagine that dealing with new hormones after a lifetime of body image/dysphoria and gender identity issues would be pretty tough on the sadbrains. It's bad enough sometimes when you're just dealing with the hormones you started with.

STR posted:

(I'm in the Austin area, but the counties and suburbs surrounding it are redder than Satan's ballsack after being curb stomped with spiked heels).

Well, that's a... colorful metaphor.

So you'd be fine with me voting for Trump I suppose. Funny how that works, I'm an idiot for not voting, but if I voted for a candidate YOU don't like I'm even worse lol.

Other way around, friend. Not voting is worse.
I've always heard it said if you can't vote for someone, vote against someone. Which is really just the lesser of two evils, but phrased in a way make a point.

Adiabatic posted:

How's everyone's day? Anything you're looking forward to?

Getting together with a group of fellow Desktop IT guys from the previous jerb, some who still work there, but most do not, after work for some beer and shooting the poo poo. It's fun to quiz the guys still there about how bad it's going.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Uggh what am I doing awake and going to the office when the clock says 3am

Well, that's your fault for living on the back side of the world. It's almost noon, here.

The Door Frame posted:

It isn't, she still has my guitar...
If I wanted to be petty or something, I own her car and our phone plan is under my name, but honestly, I just want to move forward

She talked about how some day, she might accept the ring back, but without her, there's nothing keeping me in Illinois. I think I can finally get out of this place. If she decides that she wants to come with, cool, but I'm not going to stick around here longer than I need to

That's probably the best choice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fender Anarchist posted:

Believe me when I say I feel happier and more content than I have in like a decade. There are many factors that lead to high trans suicide rates, but the vast majority of them are social; chemical issues are practically a rounding error.

Roger that.

Liquid Communism posted:

Praying for the sweet release of death. Whoever decided scheduling mandatory meetings five hours after the end of my shift when I have to work the next night was cool needs to get these hands. At least it's my Friday tonight, so I can have a beer and a sleep tomorrow morning.

Not only is that not cool, it might be illegal, depending on how your laws regard "off-time". Even "at will" TX has a minimum time between shifts, and, as far as I'm concerned, "mandatory" meetings count as work/shift.

Liquid Communism posted:

Salaried management has its drawbacks.

Oh.
Well, you're hosed.

Queen Combat posted:

Suicide rates go down after hormones are prescribed, not up.

:ssh: Most of the suicides happen before, and a lot of times because of restriction to access of them, not because of them :ssh:

Understood, and frankly, I appreciate the correction. I said "I imagine" because really, that's all I can do. The friend that's transitioning is in Seattle, and I'm in TX, so I don't see the day-to-day, just what ends up on FaceBook, really. They know they can call me or ping me on whatever chat, but closer-to-home folks have been assisting.

QuarkMartial posted:

I support all the LGBTQ folks out there. Anywhere around me is a safe space (house classroom, any room I happen to be in... I'll stand up for ya).

Same, and I hate that it looks like I might have to unfriend some people, IRL and otherwise, over the issue. It's weird how I seem to be getting more sensitive and/or liberal in my late middle-ish years (49, now) while some of my oldest friends seem to be getting rabidly red, in a bad way.

The Door Frame posted:

I just wish my family and friends weren't walking around on eggshells

It's what people do. No one wants to cause you more stress, strife, or sadness, but no one really knows what will trigger something. Just the way it is, same as when someone dies. People want to help but don't really know how, and they don't want to marginalize your pain by acting like nothing's wrong.

Queen Combat posted:

One of the patron saints of AI apetor got rear end cancer :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Ljxdndp-o

Plus side: no more Ring Of Fire after spicy meals? Also, no more Hershey Squirts, I guess.
Oh, God, I just wondered what happens if you need to fart. "Is that a balloon under your shirt?"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Just got a call from my mom.

My dad had open heart surgery two years ago and had two valves replaced because they were infected. They told him if they got re-infected, he would probably die.

He hasn't been feeling well, and his cardiologist thinks that's why.

gently caress.

drat.

CornHolio posted:

This whole thing started two years ago, he hadn't been feeling well and nobody could figure out why. Turns out he had a blood infection of some sort and it permanently damaged his kidneys (he's been on dialysis ever since) and he needed immediate open heart surgery. He was under for something like sixteen hours and they had to reconstruct a large portion of his heart. His doctor even told him he shouldn't have survived it (which gave him some pretty bad PTSD, turns out if you have anxiety after an operation like that guess what, you're admitted to the hospital every time because your chest hurts) but he did.

In the meantime my mom had a second bout of breast cancer last year and has heart failure and I don't think she's going to be OK living on her own if something were to happen.

Double drat.
My folks are 70 now. Not looking forward to poo poo like this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Well I got a text at 1:30 in the morning informing me that they were taking my dad to the ER by ambulance because he couldn't breathe.

loving hell.

Fucknuts.

CornHolio posted:

Believe me I will rant because I don't have any other good place to talk about it. poo poo sucks.

Go for it if you need to.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That's awesome. Thanks for that!

Fender Anarchist posted:

Party Cannon are the true rebels.

Definitely stands out in that crowd, and even in B&W on the previous poster.

Grakkus posted:

RIP Stan Lee :(

Saw that.

Rhyno posted:

His final days were a literal living hell. His passing is very sad but he is absolutely in a better place now. Hopefully reunited with his wife.

And that. Seems like he was being taken advantage of in his old age.
Not quite as big, but Douglas Rain, the actor who did the voice of HAL in 2001 and 2010 died on Sunday, as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I’ve been getting debt collection calls to my cell (I don’t answer, but Hiya app tells me that they are scam or debt collection). I don’t currently have any debt in arrears, so they can just gently caress right off. It’s either a mistake, or they’re trying to collect on someone I know, which it is, of course, illegal to call me about.
I just instantly hit the reject call button. Hiya has been really handy for this sort of crap. I believe I can even have it automatically reject calls. I’d prefer to forward it to a number that answers with screeching howler monkeys at 120 dB, but it doesn’t have that feature.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

shy boy from chess club posted:

What would the scam be? Selling my number to telemarketers? It's so weird. It's pretty much stopped now but for like a month I got a ton of weird calls.

Yeah, that’s pretty much it.

Edit: more like selling your number to scammers who will claim that they are from Microsoft, your PC is infected and they’re going to fix it, and such.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

It's like nothing had really driven home that I've completely wasted the last seven (really more like twelve) years of my life, until this point yesterday.

This encompasses how completely lost I feel right now.

An uninstalled two post lift?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, my former boss, at a gathering of former coworkers last week, mentioned that he’s wanting to thin the herd, and will likely be offering up his 2001 Sequoia for $4300. That’s a pretty good price for around here (Dallas,TX). White, lots of new suspension bits, new tires. As I recall the interior is tan - don’t remember leather or cloth, but it’s a Limited, so probably leather. 2WD I think.
A wee bit bigger than I was looking for, but I *was* shopping Tahoes, so not much bigger, if at all. Reviews for the first gens are very good. 200k miles, but Toyota, so who cares. I know the guy maintains his rides ( he has a sweet Z32 twin-turbo).
Would have to sell something else to make space and $$, either the Crown Vic or the Kia the Kia.

What’s AI’s take? I know someone here has a Giant Redwood.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

I spent the first half of yesterday uninstalling it and there's just something about having it sitting in pieces in the quonset hut instead of in-use in the shop that has me pretty depressed today.

Oh, yeah, that makes sense. Is it going somewhere else? Being replaced?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

freelop posted:

Had a tooth pulled today.
That's another AI:SS present sorted

I laughed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Holy crap. It's been a long time since I got an honest-to-God 419 (Nigerian) scam email:

quote:

Dear Honest Partner

From Firstbankofnigeria@info.org Date Today 14:18
Message Body
REV JAMES ABEL OF
FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA LTD
35 Marina P. O. Box 5216,
LAGOS- NIGERIA.

Dear Honest Partner.

I need your assistance to transfer the sum of $7.500.000.00
Million Dollars out of my bank to a foreign country.This fund has
been dormant for a very long time and my bank does not know about
it.I will put your name as the real owner of this fund and i will
present you to the bank.

At the end of the successful transfer of this fund to your bank
account.We are to share it 70% 30%.70% for you and 30% for me.I
will come down to your country and receive my own share of the
fund to avoid any detection from my bank and government.

However,all i need is a trustworthy person.Reply me with your
direct phone number and country of origin so that i can call you
and brief you more about this transaction.

Please note that,this transaction is risk free and safe,because i
have all the documents as proof.

Yours truly,
Rev. James Abel
+2348034455001
(Director International Remittance Department)
Email: rev.jamesabel@gmail.com

edit: "the sum of seven million five hundred thousand dollars Million Dollars" when actually read...
Gee, I wonder what the transaction fees will be?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 14, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fender Anarchist posted:

Boutta go get my face all covered in hot tranny fluid! :v:

Hopefully it's the simple fix I think it is and not genuine rebuild time.

OH, BTW - my advice on that is to just remove the broken off pieces of the snap ring from the valve body, and just leave the (broken) snap ring in. If I'd have done that, I would have been done several *hours* earlier, and a lot less angry. See, the parts of the snap ring that break off are the ends, where the notches/holes for REMOVING THE SNAP RING ARE. Want to make a guess at how incredibly difficult and frustrating it is to remove a snap ring, in a recessed hole, when it has no tool holes?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

I really wish it'd just abbreviate the highways / interstates. There's a few where it's like "Take the exit for HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street.... Merge onto HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street. Turn left onto HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street" It's exhausting.

Waze does that - basically announces exactly what is on the highway/exit sign, which is probably good, but when it says it multiple time (once when you're 2 miles away, then 1 mile away, then exit now) interrupting my music, it gets annoying quickly.
Waze shows fast food joints and retail stores, but doesn't use them as references for turns that I've noticed.

STR posted:

It's been there at least a year, but mainly in major metro areas.

Easy way to get rid of it though. Top left (3 bars thing) -> settings ->Navigation Settings -> Voice Selection -> English (US). It dumbs it down to just "in <so many feet>, turn right".

You lose out on street names, but my phone holder is next to the cluster, so it's just a quick glance to see it.

See above. It dumbs it down to just "at the fork, stay right", "in 500 feet, turn right", "make an illegal turn across 5 lanes of traffic", etc.

I use Google Maps 8 hours a day, even street names get annoying. Just tell me when to turn and which fork to take.

Likewise, Waze doesn't use the full street names if you move from the default male or female voice. You can also turn off voice if you are familiar with the route, of course, but then it doesn't do anything to alert you for turns audibly. I'd like an option for it to "DING!" or something when I'm 500' away from a turn or something.

slidebite posted:

Aren't those metric 340mm rims? I remember back in the 80s we had a few cars, mostly fords iirc, here in Canada that had metric tires and they were drat near impossible to get tires for. How is tire availability in other parts of the world today?

Same deal with Ford and Michelin's wonderful TRX (390mm) idea.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, best practice would be to replace the whole snap ring. It’s just a right bugger to get out. I *hated* that snap ring, and would have gleefully beat the engineer who specified that snap ring and material.
BTW, the piston it holds can be pressed further into the bore with a jack to take pressure off the ring and make some space.
What I really needed was some right angle needle nose pliers, but bent in the direction of the action, rather than perpendicularly to it. Ended up grinding reliefs in the ring to let it bend rather than “spring”, and using needle nose Vice Grips.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fender Anarchist posted:

Are the new ones from ford at least a better design?

I believe they are. I got mine for like $3 from a local dealer. Had to go to a big one, though. The smaller dealers didn’t have them in stock.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

Just be sure, the pic you linked shows a 340mm tire mounted on that one.

In other news, more confirmation I am possibly the worlds biggest manchild. Stopped by a grocery store on my way home for lunch. Ended up bringing this bucket of goodness home..... of which I am borderline addicted. Previously I have eaten so many of them at one time I have literally, with no exaggeration, caused my tongue to bleed.

I really need to learn to not go to the grocery store when I'm hungry :(

Gummy things (including Swedish Fish) are my kryptonite, even more than, you know, regular food.
Looks over at the packet of Sour Patch Kids on the desk.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Late to the LotR chat but I watched The Hobbit trilogy and the extended blu-ray of LotR over the course of a month on my basement home theater after we got it set up. The LotR came out when I was in high school and I was pleased to see how well they hold up (the REALLY hold up). That alone makes me excited for that new Mortal Engines thingy Peter Jackson is involved with, which I know nothing about.

I read the first book. The idea of mobile, cannibal cities is interesting. The book isn't bad, but it's definitely YA, mich like The Hunger Games. Have not read past the first book, but I'm interested enough that I probably will.

The Door Frame posted:

Or when you work with the public. I've generally got the sniffles every other week because I interact with ~100 strangers on a daily basis

I used to work in a hospital (pharmacy stock clerk.) I had a low-grade something (usually sniffles of some sort) pretty much the entire time. Thankfully, when working in the pharmacy, OTC stuff is free. And non-OTC stuff is, too, if you're the guy ordering it me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

keykey posted:

Side note: Anybody else playing Fallout 76?

I haven't even finished Fallout 3 yet. Don't you try to push the new drug on me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

fridge corn posted:

cakesmith handyman posted:

One day I aspire to owning a computer good enough to run a first-person fallout game :allears:

PS4s Xbox Ones are pretty cheap

That's why I gave up on PCs and went to an Xbox 360 years ago.

Humphreys posted:

If anyone isn't still on the TG thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qBqvfH2YY4

Hah! "JM's Unemployment Tube."

everdave posted:

I just got a renewal notice for the Prius that I had to give to my lazy bum of an ex-wife. This means it is still in my name and she is out I am sure often driving drunk in a car in my name registered to me. What the hell can I do? I signed the title over to her in July. This is a person who was told by the judge in December to get a job and of course she hasn’t.

spog posted:

Can't you advise the govt that you don't own it yourself?

Texas has a form that you sign and pay $5 or so to assert that you no longer own the vehicle. See if your state does something like that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

tumbleweave

:golfclap:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I played Astro Bot on an acquaintance’s PSVR recently, and was amazed at how well it worked. It was beautiful.
I’d love to get a rig, but just can’t justify $400+ for a complete setup. Maybe next year or Craigslist.
I wish Microsoft would pull their thumbs out and build a headset for the Xbone, since I already have 3 of those. Might even get me to upgrade to the One X.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

edit: did my black friday consumerism part, 55" 4k smart tv for $350 and I didn't have to leave the couch. Not the best tv out there but at that price point it'll be hard to beat and will be a massive upgrade in picture quality to the 45" we have now. Now I have to wall mount the 45" in the bedroom

Was that the TCL 4-series from Best Buy?
Considered that one, but I think I’ll step up to the 6-series, which CNET hails as the best display value, and has the Roku operating system. $600 for 55” 4K, and that appears to be the regular price.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

We're heading over in a bit to start scraping popcorn ceiling. Yuck.

Considering doing that when we paint and floor the living room.
I swear it was someone here who posted a video of a guy that made a DIY rig to make that lot less messy. Basically a big wide funnel attached to the scraper, maybe with a vacuum? I need to find that.
What's ya'll's feelings on ceiling treatments? Knockdown, or just treat like a wall and patch & paint? Definitely no more goddamn popcorn.

everdave posted:

I’m sure it didn’t get national attention but a man 2 days from retirement was killed in his new GTR by some bitch rear end punk throwing concrete off the bridge in Nashville. Haven’t caught anybody.

My wife caught a brick through the windshield of her rental car many years ago, fortunately on the passenger side. Rattled her (and me, when she called me) pretty badly. Most likely tossed off the overpass she was traveling under, but there was no real way to tell.

edit: college would be a lot more effective choice if it didn't cost more than you could make in a lifetime while still eating and living indoors.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

Have you driven a Ford....lately?

Drove the Crown Vic over the holidays. Wife usually drives it. I love my V8 couch, but she needs it more (back issues make the seats and clutch in the Kia difficult.)

ExplodingSims posted:

The newest Fords I've driven have been the Transit vans, which are honestly pretty great as far as vans go. I mean, they're vans, but they have some nice features.

Speaking of, I dunno how many people here have experience with vans, but if one were to be shopping for one, in say the 2010-2015 range, would you choose Chevy/GMC or Ford?

I'm kinda looking into them for...reasons, and it seems like E-250s or 350s seem to be cheaper. I've driven a few different variants of the Chevy/GMC ones, and while they're ok, In my experience they seem to have a lot of transmission issues or rear diff issues. Other than that they seem to be pretty decent, if very simplistic vehicles. I mean, they haven't really updated them in like 30 years, so I guess they're doing something right.

Dajiban!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p_SVUt9hbk
I want one.

Oh, right, 2010-2015.
Eh, probably GM, then, due to common-as-dirtness on parts & parts cost.

slidebite posted:

First "good" image (not including the initial ones with the dust cap)

This stuff blows me away

F-ing amazing.
So hard to get over the fact that we're looking at another planet hundreds of thousands of miles away.
I doubt I'll ever get the chance to visit, but I can hope.

QuarkMartial posted:

As a teacher*, I loving love when this happens because I'll stop everything else to show off this event taking place. Unfortunately, my kids missed it because they had art (which happened to be a great waste of their time), but I'll be showing them all the videos and photos and such tomorrow, and we'll all geek out together because...

At the basic level, it's just loving cool as poo poo. I mean, it's history in the making. I also showed the SpaceX launches earlier this year, where the rockets took off and returned. All of this cool poo poo just helps to cement the importance of everything else - I can help bolster an interest in any subject with this sort of stuff.

*formerly Science, now I teach all subjects

Thanks for trying to impress the importance of this on the kids.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Hooray for saving a life! Good job.

No doubt. You're a good person, QC.

edit: lost a square bracket along the way. Fixed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

I think everyone should be required by law to work at least two years in food service and two years in retail.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

The soft hearted part of me feels like that would lead to a lot better treatment for unskilled workers in general

But then I remember everyone thinks they are a great driver and that just flies out the drat window. "I can do it better than you" they screech, "I did my two years you slow piece of poo poo", etc.

I've advocated similar for years, since I've done both.
I still think overall it would create more empathy for those jobs.

I'm the guy that stacks the used plates and utensils when I'm done with them to make it easier for the server to pick up. I hate leaving a mess at a table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

You wear that target proud, tell the haters to get gud, then make them thank you for making them work harder to be better medical professionals.

I really like this sentiment.

Queen Combat posted:

Also, while Beat Saber is hard, it's drat hard if you put even small ankle weights on your wrists.

Holy gently caress after just like twenty minutes I am dead. Gonna feel this tomorrow. Still haven't fixed the bike wheel so another 20 minutes or so and this'll be today's nerdy exercise. (The game scores you not by note accuracy, but by arc of your swing. And it measures total distance, so no cheating by flicking wrists.)

So you're saying I could sell buying a PS4 VR to my wife as "exercise equipment"?

Thanks. That made me laugh. Both the concept and the actual videos.

Goober Peas posted:

And you've probably noticed plenty of dust dingleberries as well too

That's the deal for us. It's difficult to dust without *also* dislodging the dang popcorn as well.

T-Square posted:

I did this when I was in High School, but with a few hundred un-opened Hot Wheels cars. Same result.

I wonder what I did with those, it's been ten years :thunk:

Unopened older Hot Wheels are almost always worth at least what you paid for them, usually more. Even common ones are like $2. First Editions or New Models for each year are generally worth more, but some variations of regular releases can go up, too. I don't really follow the values because I buy them to keep, really, not to sell, but it would be nice to get a return if I ever decide I don't want them any more. Which reminds me I need to get some durable storage for them. I've got way too many to display on the wall(s).

I need to get a Christmas tree like that.
We have a decent 7' artificial, but, until we clear some space in the house, it's tough to find a place to put it up (we have too much poo poo), it's so wide at the base. Last year I only assembled the top two thirds and put that in the stand.

I really like that bench and desk, BTW. I wish we had an entry room to put a coat/boots bench. One of the things on my list for "the next house", along with a laundry room that isn't in my damned garage.

• Locked thread