Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

spog posted:

Jsut be warned that - from what I have learned here - the TVs in Target/Walmart may be special, lower-quality ones especially for them.

A friend used to work at Best Buy and that's exactly what's on black friday discount, the poo poo low quality stuff. That said, if you need a cheap tv, can't beat the price...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

everdave posted:

December chat thread: I know a skunk guy

^^^^^^ This all the way. Alternatively "All the girlies say I'm pretty fly for a skunk guy"

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

QuarkMartial posted:

gently caress that. I have jobs and obligations and other responsibilities that keep me from babysitting the goddamned government.

Pretty much. Imagine if you will, getting really worked up emotionally over the cola wars because that's where we're at with politics. People just need to take a few years off of politics and realize it doesn't impact their life nearly as much as they're told it does.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

this is a really stupid viewpoint, your state consistently comes in very close several races that are critically important

Maybe that's what every state should strive to do since it means the people there probably have the most open mind to not going to hard one way or the other?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

lol

please stop posting

lol you're right, go with political ads that say ABSOLUTELY VOTE THAT WAY NO QUESTION. :3:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geoj posted:

to volunteer

Work for free? Forget that noise, that's what poor people do!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

This is a hell of a position to take in a thread where a fellow poster just noted why the party in power would prefer them dead. Maybe exercise a little empathy and realize that just because you're in a position you believe is insulated enough to be above it all, it doesn't mean there aren't a ton of people in the US with a lot to lose?

Forgive my sarcasm, but both my trans friends committed suicide in their early 40’s and as loving weird as it may seem were both staunch highly religious republicans, because California and anti-establishment as weird as it is to wrap your mind around that... Turns out hormones have a good chance of doing some wonderful poo poo to your brain which is why a psychologist is recommended at all times and tone of the reasons trans death is young. So to our trans posters out there, be safe and do everything to a T. Also, both had really hosed up, highly abusive childhoods which both of them point blank said that’s why they didn’t feel comfortable in their own bodies and felt like less of a man so they reassigned. Their plight had nothing to do with a party in power, but hormones and abusive childhoods are a cocktail for disaster, at least in both my friends. Thanks, now I really miss them. :(

keykey fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 8, 2018

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

How's everyone's day? Anything you're looking forward to?

Pretty good, man. How's yours? I'm looking forward to a call back for a director position that I've already been through 2 interviews for, apparently, the process is 3 interviews long. Finished the question/answer interview and the powerpoint presentation interview. If I get it, it pays the equivalent to both my current salary and my wife's current salary which means we can pay off all our debt within 4 years and can go stupid on a garage extension and cars in 5.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Find an empty car park after the first snowfall and go nuts

Best advice ever. Learning how your car reacts in the snow is invaluable.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

We are set to close on the house in 24 days and this wait is going to be agonizing.

I guarantee it's not going to be anywhere as agonizing as the stupid poo poo you find wrong once you finally move in. :haw:

Liquid Communism posted:

Whoever decided scheduling mandatory meetings five hours after the end of my shift when I have to work the next night was cool needs to get these hands.

If you're not getting paid to go, gently caress that noise.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Salaried management when you don't work in education has its drawbacks.

Fixed that for ya.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geoj posted:

Here's the conversation:

That's amazing, almost to the point of deserving his own thread levels of amazing.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Y'all are nuts.

Edit: in unrelated news, the respiratory tech at work who was declared braindead after a motorcycle accident ... woke up, has started rehab, and will be going home soon.

gently caress. Yes. That’s amazing for his family.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

spog posted:

Which one is you?

I'm the hunchback in the smurf blues getting fist pumped in the groin.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

its really easy when you have young kids, ya fuckin knobs

Try working for a school and having kids. Our gate count last year was 450k, that's 450k chances of interacting with students that have god knows what. My health was hosed somewhat hardcore for the first 5 years as opposed to being able to count on 1 hand how many times I had been sick in the previous 15 in the real world.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geoj posted:

I used to work in drug stores year round (was a field tech working on photo lab equipment) and from about this time until spring I'd bring home any number of respiratory infections from all the sick people coming in to fill their prescriptions.

This occurred despite religious handwashing and mega-dosing on vitamin C and zinc.

I could imagine. We deal with rando's, but you were dealing with sickies 24/7. That's gotta be some bullshit.

Side note: Anybody else playing Fallout 76?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Guilty as charged. I have a week off and got it for an early Christmas present. Not bad so far, but very Fallout 4.

Absolutely. It's essentially Fallout 4 with friends and a hosed up food/water system, but the diseases can be fun! :haw: Going at it alone is okay and certain friends are better to play with than others, as per usual though, the super hardcore people that went balls deep on the fictional universe lore are annoying to play with. They'll read every last word from every kiosk while the other people in the party are tossing explosives everywhere and playing dress up waiting on "that guy" to finish reading every damned thing before we get to run into a building wielding fire axes with party hats on and so we can kill whatever is on the other side of the door and play dress up some more.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I pretty much am "that guy", which is why I'm happy enough to play on my own. I tend to scour areas pretty clean. But I do like revisiting stuff to just wade into killing things.

I got the bucket excavator going yesterday, entertaining way to get some ore. Also, get the Riverside Manor quest (you need the worn veil quest item), it's fun.

Naaah you're not being that guy, you sound like you play it like one of us which is blast and loot everything clean then fast travel back to CAMP to build up then back to continue blasting and looting more. Also, we do really stupid poo poo like take on waaaaaaay higher level stuff than us and get pounded into oblivion, but keep going back for more. Deathclaw island?!? HELL. YES. LET'S DO THAT!

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 16, 2018

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

How is it? Early beta reviews said the game was fun but needed a lot of fixes. I enjoyed 4, recently went back and replayed it, so I may pick it up. I've been playing Diablo 3 on the switch and it's scratching my ARPG loot need while I wait for the next season of Path of Exile.

I'm enjoying it, mostly because it's not nearly as polished as it should be and the bugs are Goat Simulator levels of amazing. Within the first 10 minutes, I stepped outside the vault and was hurled into the wastes, like 200 ft in the air, then instantly teleported to insta-death behind a robot as it was still shooting my corpse. I had already joined up with a friend at that point and we were both together when it bugged hard on me, it showed me 1/2 the map away and without the initial caps to get back. That's the only severely horrible bug that's happened so far, the rest are things like try to cook, but can't because clipping inside a turret and menu not showing up. We've been having fun with it to make the most put together/broken camp possible. Now we're trying to build as far up as we can to see if we can have a base camp on the valley floor but have a walkway to a bridge that's way above us.

Rhyno posted:

And this is what he looks like, I know you'll enjoy this

Holy poo poo, dude totally has a pedosmile (tm).

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Last I knew he was renting a room over a garage as he couldn't find an actual apartment.

So he graduated from a basement below a house to one above a house... classy.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Watching the wife play Grand Theft Horsie 2 a little today and goddamn that game goes hard! Welp, back to finish cleaning the house then some76.

Edit:

[quote="BraveUlysses" post=""489938343"]
I could theoretically do in wall but the cost is prohibitive but I really don't want any visible wires
[/quote]

There’s a long drill bit tool (4ft) that Home Depot sells that’s made for running wires in a wall. If you have a 2 story it can be a little tricky to start the 90 degree angle, but all you need is a little spackle and paint that matches the room, you can take a paint chip to Home Depot and have it matched up in the du pont electric eye machine if you don’t have any left over.

keykey fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 18, 2018

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Yeah but their stock went up so just more signs pointing to the US economy doing well and jobs being plentiful!

I mean, economically speaking we are at full employment as to say that unemployment is now 4.0% across the board and 5.0% and under, by economists definition, is considered full employment. We hit full employment in September 2016 and the unemployment rate has been in a steady decline. Your state might differ from that number, we're at 4.2%, but we're still in full employment conditions as to say all values are rising due to willingness to pay scenarios.

BraveUlysses posted:

oh man so glad we passed that tax bill last year! just imagine how much less money GM would be making!

My wallet is glad too because I'm now at a lower tax bracket than 33%. Feels good, man.

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 26, 2018

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

he's doing well, which we all really really care about

I understand being salty about being poor is kind of "your thing" and all, but go out there and do something about your situation: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2968008

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

1 poo poo head is but a single component, which is why we have 3 branches of government, it's not like a president is the god ruler of the universe or anything, if that were the case we'd be hosed every election cycle. In any case, I'm sorry I forgot the golden rule of the internet: social justice is good for everything, business is bad and is what screws absolutely everything up. Sorry for bringing it up. I thought we could have an adult conversation, you can go back to your regular scheduled AI now.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

I didn't mean to imply that they don't, it was just an example how an expensive degree might not pay for itself. I honestly have no idea what you can do with that sort of degree though, to be fair.

I completely agree that the price of a degree needs to be reflected in the actual wage prices as the end result since there are a ton of bullshit degrees out there that students are going for that are a fast pass to homelessness. Part of what guidance counselors should be doing is talking about the input vs the output factor. Some of us are in the trap that we have to get degrees to advance ourselves in our careers, this could be either driven by field, location, or in my case longevity. In CA, a bachelors is now the equivalent to a high school diploma, so you have to get a grad degree to stand out, especially in my age group hell, I even thought about continuing to finish a doctorate just to be done with it all, which I may still have to do a decade from now. I could easily see grad degrees being the new high school diploma for my kids generation with how CA views education.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

ilkhan posted:

real world training should be far more prevalent all around.

Where I work we were looking for an HVAC instructor and we had a crap ton of applicants that had been in the industry for years, however, it is a faculty position. Working as faculty at a community college requires you to have a masters to teach, because, reasons of fiefdoms and other controlled bullshit... They were looking for an experienced HVAC technician with a masters in some such bullshit, any bullshit, but that was the requirement. They found one, then promptly fired him after one semester since he was terrible, they decided since to change masters required stipulations for certs based programs and the new dude that applied from the previous applicant pool of absolutely qualified applicants that had years of industry experience is tits.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Four rooms down. A hallway and two rooms to go, the other spaces don't have this crap!

Four rooms alone deserves a beer break. Looking great though!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

There are soot stains on it in several rooms. You cant clean it or paint over it so it must die.

Scrub the walls with TSP first, then use some Kilz Max. It's about $35 a gallon, so only use it where you need to with soot stains, but Kilz makes amazing products. We use regular Kilz paint in rentals with smokers after TSP'ing the walls, otherwise, the yellowing comes back through normal primer/paint.

Kilz Max: https://www.kilz.com/primer/kilz-max
TSP: https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAVOGRAN-1-lb-Box-TSP-Heavy-Duty-Cleaner-10621/202935861

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Beverly Cleavage posted:

If it wasn't for the fact that I use prime video regularly, I would have pulled the plug on amazon awhile ago.

I don't even do that, just the yearly Grand Tour watching and we buy things from Amazon maybe once every 2 months so the free shipping doesn't even come close to covering the cost of Prime, but it's just one of those things that my wife irrationally wants and that's not the hill I'm willing to die on.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

drat, it looks like a game with a jumping puzzle and ice thrown in for extra fuckery.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Dagen H posted:

*researches*

Sounds that way, doesn't it?
Looks like everybody makes one, are there brands to seek out/avoid?

Not really, just go to big box store du jour and play with some then pick out the one you like the best, it's all personal preference. Also, if you've never played with one, it will give you the opportunity to see if you like the interface or not. For most people, it's an acquired taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

puberty worked me over posted:

This is bad advice. Big box stores loving love selling old hardware at a premium.

I mostly agree with your statement. However, if a user has never tried a platform before, it’s better to get some hands on time with the os to make a more informed decision before making a purchase based solely on specs and benchmarks.

• Locked thread