Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

making GBS threads up the ground floor with band talk, hell yeah. Saw Daughters and Street Sects in Baltimore last night. It's maybe one of the craziest live shows I've seen?

Gonna see new Suspiria tonight. Multiple people already told me it's bad and I'm excited to have my own take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

New Suspiria is one of the most tactile films I’ve seen in recent memory. I loved it.

That one scene (you’ll know it when you see it) is “Possession subway scene” levels of physical acting.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Timby posted:

The post you quoted literally says "Crystal City, Virgina." :v:

DC proper is very, very small (like 68 square miles), so pretty much everyone who works there lives in Virginia or Baltimore (or one of its suburbs like Bethesda). Like, the Department of Defense and I think the CIA are headquartered in Crystal City, and Reagan International Airport (which is always considered a DC airport along with Dulles) is there, too.

Arlington’s really weird with geography. I could be wrong, but I think Crystal City is one of those ambiguous city-burb things like Rosslyn or Falls Church or Clarendon. All of that is still pretty much Virginia territory.

I’ve lived here a year now and I still haven’t quite figured it out.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Pentagon is in DC proper, but the CIA isn’t stationed there.

Nah, Pentagon is in Arlington. Close enough that it doesn’t really matter, but still.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 4, 2018

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Closest I have to a “perfect movie” is The Thing. I don’t really like categorizing film like that.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

CPL593H posted:

If you think about it we really don't need any other movies to exist besides Blade.

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Samuel Clemens posted:

If there is indeed a difference between a perfect and a favourite film, the much more interesting question would be: Which film do you consider perfect but don't actually like?
Most of Tarantino’s or Fincher’s filmography.

I guess Baby Driver, too.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 4, 2018

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I got to vote against noted turbo racist Corey Stewart, so that was fun.

https://twitter.com/ComicBookNOW/status/1059824864918495233

This is a bad loving omen.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

...And Corey Stewart lost immediately. :munch:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Skwirl posted:

According to whom? I didn't recognize the name and Google says he's got 2/3rds of the vote (with admittedly only 1% reporting).

CNN and CBS both projected Tim Kaine right when polls closed.

Speaking of Corey Stewart, this thread owns:

https://twitter.com/wsteaks/status/1059955121512161280?s=21

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

gently caress, Rick Scott’s probably gonna win and the GOP kept the Senate either way.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Overlord is pulpy as gently caress. Straight up feels like an EC Comic.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 9, 2018

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Maxwell Lord posted:

The trailers didn't grab me but that comparison has me intrigued now.

That trailer is decidedly obnoxious, but it’s actually good fun for what it is. Got a bit of Re-Animator blood in it too, right down to the giant needles of weirdly-colored goop.

Timby posted:

The same goes for what we were talking about a few days ago, with awful poo poo like How It Should Have Ended and CinemaSins not actually critiquing movies for what they are, but rather "battling" them. Like you said, it's so obnoxious.

They want to make themselves out to be smarter than the other plebs who see movies. I hate this whole trend of picking on minor inconsistencies and plot holes as if they’re integral parts of film criticism.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 9, 2018

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Wildlife is a pretty strong first film from Paul Dano. It kinda coasts on having two of the best actors working right now bouncing off each other, but I still enjoyed it thoroughly. Gyllenhaal’s as good as you’d expect, but Carey Mulligan basically runs away with the film.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Horrendous and Tomb Mold are both so loving good live, holy poo poo.

Also, my 90’s league goes with both Dale Cooper and Dana Scully. Blade, too.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 12, 2018

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Escobarbarian posted:

Forget this poo poo the trailer for the movie of the decade just dropped

https://twitter.com/vancityreynolds/status/1062027112041926656?s=21

I'm glad Nintendo is now 2 for 2 with bizarre cyberpunk interpretations of their beloved franchises.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

precision posted:

Good to hear you say that, I trust most of your opinions and was wanting to catch it this weekend

Yeah, Widows is great. The closest Steve McQueen will ever get to making a crowdpleaser.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Women On The Verge of a Mental Breakdown is fun, but kinda left me wanting. I guess I'm just not that huge on Pedro Almodovar's stuff, even though his films should totally be my poo poo on paper. This is the third time this year I've tried. Maybe there's something I'm not getting?
I love his color palette, though.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Escobarbarian posted:

Which others have you seen?

I saw Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! and The Skin I Live In this year, and Volver god knows how long ago. He's a director I like, but he kinda feels like someone I should love.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 15, 2018

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Do any fantastic beasts actually show up in these movies?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1063484480902623232?s=21

Watch this be more successful than the real Dark Universe.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

TrixRabbi posted:

I've been told to be sure to watch it in one sitting as it all connects at the end. But also, I dunno there's still something about it where I'm not super excited for it, just more so going to watch it out of Coen completionism since I've seen every other thing they've done. Hoping it surprises me.

It's playing at a single theater here in DC, so I'm trying to see it there if I can. Granted, the theater itself is not great, so I may just see it on Netflix anyway.

Oh gently caress yeah. I signed up for this pretty much immediately when I saw it and you should too.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Super Unison is good poo poo live.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Shoutout to the new MST3K for finally giving me the chance to experience the deep horror of Mac and Me. New season is probably more solid than the last one.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

A Star Is Born worked a little better the second time around in theaters, but I still think it's ideas of what constitute authenticity are pretty reductive.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Paul Rudd had a good run but the only thing I think about now when I think of Mac and Me is that hosed up alternate ending.

Like I said, deep horror.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Burning is a wonderful film. You could say ...it's a slow burn?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Real talk, Burning might be one of the best paced things I've seen all year. Between this and Sorry To Bother You, Steven Yeun's been having a great time now that he's free from Walking Dead hell.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

married but discreet posted:

What's a good movie to start with Lee Chang-dong? Poetry, Oasis and Peppermint candy are all on TubiTV/Prime

If it’s playing near you, go see Burning.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

married but discreet posted:

I just missed it so I'm going for whatever is streaming.

Fair, I had to go all the way up to Baltimore to catch it. They pulled it from the DC theaters fast.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

So I guess this means I finally need to get around to seeing Don’t Look Now.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I got the Criterion blu-ray of Smithereens. Real excited to see it again.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

About to experience Con Air for the first time. May god have mercy on my soul.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

You could make a real good essay about all the faux-industrial metal they put into 90’s action films. I miss these dumb soundtracks.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Con Air was .....a lot.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

K. Waste posted:

My dad just found out about Timothy Carey today, so I foresee streaming The World's Greatest Sinner in the very near future.

drat, I haven't heard that name in a long time. I remember seeing that in my school's film club back in undergrad and being one of only a few people there.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Ted Cruz has a beard now, y'all

https://twitter.com/JoePerticone/status/1067190089120391168

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Our first Neckbeard Senator

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 27, 2018

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Losing my poo poo over Netflix getting to show Evangelion soon, holy poo poo. On my birthday, no less....

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 27, 2018

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

blank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I'm so excited for a new generation of weird anime nerds to get psychically attacked by End of Evangelion.