Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, have you spent too much time and money on MLB The Show ultimate team, Madden, FIFA and NBA stuff?

Good news!

You can now spend too much time and money on a SPORTS SIM version of the above.

So, the Perfect Team beta is open, and here's some thoughts/information

1. THIS IS A BETA, it will be wiped at the end of beta (money purchased packs will refund PP for the main game)
2. You start in an "Entry League" with a base of 6 card packs of 6 players each. The cards that I saw in the beta were 2018 player cards, historic all-stars, historic unsung heroes
3. In the Entry League, you play one game per 30 minutes. No playing games, all simmed. Ever Monday, Entry League teams get promoted to the Rookie League, and then it's promotion and relegation after that (you stay in the Rookie League if you are horrible)
4. You start with 1,000 Perfect Team Points, and get more at least from acheivements (not sure if league performance in regular leagues will also give PTP.. kinda worried about the P2W nature there). Regular packs of 6 players cost 1,000 points, silver level costs 5,000. I'm not going to spend money on this probably unless things carry over to OOTP20 (which I doubt).
5. Current MLB players have photos looks like, while past players do not.
6. You can auction off Unneeded players, and buy players off the market. They have some filters (type of card, rating etcetera), but I would love a team-based filter, so I could grab as many Red Sox schlubs as possible ;)

My team:

Out of the 36 players I pulled, the four best players I pulled were historic allstars: 1953 Carl Furillo (Brooklyn), 1941 Roy Cullenbine (St Louis Browns), 1985 Carlton Fisk (Chicago), 2007 Placideo Polanco (Detroit).

My draws for pitching weren't too great: Three Bronze and two base players (65,65,62,59,51) while I had three pretty good players behind the plate (the 75 Carlton Fisk , along with 69 and 64.)

I earned 840 points from my first two games (From achievements for winning a game, saving a game, Home Run, and quality start for 200 each, and a "womp womp" acheivement for one of my players who stranded the bases loaded of 40 points)

So, I pulled one pack with my base 1,000 points, and pulled a gold player which was really lucky, Unfortunately it's another @*)_$&@*)$%&@)$% Catcher (2018 JT Realmuto, ranked at 80).

Looks interesting so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
My team is 32-44 (you get 48 games a day with the sim every 30 minutes in entry mode)

My starting five has a COMBINED WAR of 1.7, and I can see why. Here's their ERA's in order

Since you slowly earn PP with repeatable acheivements, I've pulled a couple packs. Pulled JT Realmuto, who is my second highest player (80), but that was a position I already had good depth at (Catcher, with Carlton Fisk). I need starteing pitching as my team still has 3 base-level players, and two of them are in my starting rotation :P

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
My rookie league has started (monday's the league reset day).

Managed to get a couple bronze pitchers fairly cheap through the auction so I'm 4-4 on the new season.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The new Out of the Park Baseball is out, and it has the Perfect Team mode.

I mention this because I randomly drew a 2005 Mariano Rivera closer card from a single baseline pack (1,000 coins, solely earned through ingame acheivements). I promptly then sold it for 105,000 Perfect Team Points. Depending on if the higher rank bonus perfect point purchases are permanent, that means someone paid the equivalent of $70-$100 for a bit of electronic bits for a game that not many will play after a full year.

I mean, I know that people will overpay to get this type of card because it's a big name (and a Yankee, so Yankee fans will pay extra to have them on their perfect team), but Rivera isn't even the highest ranked closer type of card in the game currently (There are the standard Unranked, Bronze, Silver, Gold, then Diamond (Rivera's level, a 96), and then Perfect (100 rated, like Rob Dibble at his filthiest).

I'm... ambivalent about this. I mean, it's kinda fun and cool to be able to get the best players from the Auction House, but... is this our future?

(the reason for the fluctuation in the value is that the game offers 50,000 Perfect Team Points for $50 with a bonus of 25,000 PTP on purchase.)