Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/11/the-next-version-of-http-wont-be-using-tcp/

lol the next version of HTTP is going to be entirely UDP transported because google wanted their videos to buffer 15% faster in high latency conditions and apparently the IETF has agreed that was a totally worthwhile body of work so lets just make it http/3

If you run SSL decryption or do URL filtering on encrypted traffic r.i.p I guess welcome to the new world baby!!! I can't wait for all my packet captures to be completely devoid of all information that would be useful for troubleshooting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

"troubleshooting" lol, TLSv1.3 already stops that blatant mitm poo poo.

I'm sure it will take a while to appear and MS will have a big whine as usual. Still waiting on HTTP/2 APIs to make an appearance, we've only just got HTTP/1.1 into Boost.

You just know webdevs will find a way to poo poo on the protocol advances and make their sites even bigger lardy rear end megaliths. Sites like Facebook and Instagram don't really appear to be getting faster, Google need to work on improving the monstrosity that people have created with infinite scrolling.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 14, 2018

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

MrMoo posted:

"troubleshooting" lol, TLSv1.3 already stops that blatant mitm poo poo.

I'm sure it will take a while to appear and MS will have a big whine as usual. Still waiting on HTTP/2 APIs to make an appearance, we've only just got HTTP/1.1 into Boost.

You just know webdevs will find a way to poo poo on the protocol advances and make their sites even bigger lardy rear end megaliths. Sites like Facebook and Instagram don't really appear to be getting faster, Google need to work on improving the monstrosity that people have created with infinite scrolling.

blatant mitm poo poo like checking tcp sequence numbers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
google is poo poo and the web is poo poo.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

mlyp

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cool i guess. not really idk. gas

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I’m posting from the future where google makes the only web server software

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Gazpacho posted:

I’m posting from the future where google makes the only web server software

is it google wave, op?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
3 > 2, so its better

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

google to offer ads that can't be guaranteed delivery, but probably will be, for one nanopenny found on the the ground less per 1000 attempted views

ad sense customers try to make it up in volume

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

this seems like an improvement op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Perplx posted:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
adoption is going to go as well as GPL v3

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

meh, it's google, they're big enough for it to work

it's just udp so you don't have to throw out all the middleboxes out there to support it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Perplx posted:

an experience beyond studio quality

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Perplx posted:

this smells like bullshit

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
QUIC still has error correcting and sequencing, but everything is moved out of the protocol and into the application. It only looks simple because the diagram doesn't show the dozens of connections running in parallel and the increased complexity of the application handling the data.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

this smells like bullshit

yeah how you do ecdh key exchange in a single one-way packet

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what does http3 provide to me, a dumbass normal user?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
more ads from google at a lower server resource cost

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Lysidas posted:

yeah how you do ecdh key exchange in a single one-way packet

its a repeat connection, its the browser equivalent of known_hosts

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the technical ideas seem very sensible, that is: 1) just coalesce all handshaking from all levels into a single packet since it really pretty much looks the same every time anyway; and; 2) when multiplexing stuff on a connection don't hold up all the logical streams to handle a retransmission on one

the practical idea seems terrible, that is: "waiting to have this be properly implemented in the operating system would take time, and this is 2018 so everything has to happen instantly, so lets just reintroduce trumpet winsock statically linked into every application"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I can't wait to have to pick and update web servers not only based on their HTTP handling, but also based on the various bugs their reordering, window sizing, and retransmission logic may contain.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I look forward to;

- Clients enabling HTTP/3 to speed up performance when they've got crazy backend issues and then complaining it's the network when it doesn't help
- Server apps being dead and not listening on udp/443 but with no way to tell without access to the box as there is no longer a concept of "connection refused"
- poorly implemented clients not nicely failing back to TCP

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

abigserve posted:

blatant mitm poo poo like checking tcp sequence numbers

Which is the entire point of QUIC because head-of-line blocking sucks.

abigserve posted:

I look forward to;

- Clients enabling HTTP/3 to speed up performance when they've got crazy backend issues and then complaining it's the network when it doesn't help
This already happens with HTTP/2, obviously. Superb webdevs will always be.

quote:

- Server apps being dead and not listening on udp/443 but with no way to tell without access to the box as there is no longer a concept of "connection refused"
The bain is lovely CJs who cannot setup a firewall properly. Using socat appears to work quite well when you have a correct firewall setup,
code:
$ socat -d -d stdin UDP:debian.org:443
2018/11/14 23:37:05 socat[13387] N using stdin for reading and writing
2018/11/14 23:37:05 socat[13387] N opening connection to AF=2 149.20.4.15:443
2018/11/14 23:37:05 socat[13387] N successfully connected from local address AF=2 50.116.33.62:55400
2018/11/14 23:37:05 socat[13387] N starting data transfer loop with FDs [0,0] and [5,5]

2018/11/14 23:37:06 socat[13387] E read(5, 0x55ae542ceb20, 8192): Connection refused
2018/11/14 23:37:06 socat[13387] N exit(1)

quote:

- poorly implemented clients not nicely failing back to TCP
Like we're ever going to see poorly implemented HTTP/2 clients, they'll just stick with HTTP/1.x.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MononcQc posted:

I can't wait to have to pick and update web servers not only based on their HTTP handling, but also based on the various bugs their reordering, window sizing, and retransmission logic may contain.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
quic if u buic

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

there was a http 2?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
label 2 protocols http1 and http3 and set them loose in the google campus

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

there was a http 2?

yes. “what if HTTP but binary instead of text?”

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Http/2 is much more about multiplexing requests so that they don’t have to queue than it is just binary requests

A better analogy would be what if fastcgi, but a protocol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
how will this affect my ability to filter ads?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Doc Block posted:

quic if u buic

do you quic

do you quic like a dic when you buic

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

how will this affect my ability to filter ads?

all webpages will be video streams and scrolling the viewport will be done server side

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Perplx posted:

all webpages will be video streams and scrolling the viewport will be done server side

they tried this with video games and it didn't work out

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

akadajet posted:

they're still trying this with video games

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

akadajet posted:

they always demo the tech with a racing game never an fps

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pram posted:

cool i guess. not really idk. gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Shaggar posted:

Hate it when you're right

• Locked thread