Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hello goonlings and welcome to the 2018 Book Barn Secret Santa! We had fun last year so I'm hoping this year will be another success with lots of goons sending each other books for Christmas. Check out 2016's and 2017's thread, both with lots of photos of presents!

Sound fun? I hope so, and the whole thing is pretty straightforward. This is the third year I've been running it, and there hasn't been any drama yet. Just sign up, I'll tell you who to get a present for, send it to them before Christmas, and sit back to await your own present. As this involves personal information and money, I'm going to go into more detail first. If you're interested, read this whole post and then you can join the fun.

Can you join?
Yes, if you have an account at least six months old and at least one post outside the thread so we know you're not trying to join4books. If you don't, ask a goon who fulfils these critera to email me saying you're a good egg, and you're in.

Do you want to join?
There are three conditions you must accept when you join. Firstly, sending ebooks or audiobooks internationally may be an issue, so you must be willing to post and accept a physical present.

Secondly, you must be willing to let me, Hieronymus Alloy (who will also have access to the gmail account), and your Santa know your real name and address, and provide some extra information, such as phone number or email, if the Post Office needs it to deliver to you. Obviously, this is all personal information. You must not use it outside of the Secret Santa – only to send your present. I will only use it to match goons up and tell Santas where to post their stuff. If you need to contact your match, please do so via me.

Lastly, this is a commitment. If you're about to have a baby, be sued for everything you own, or otherwise have trouble fulfilling that commitment, please think twice before joining in. There's always next year. Unless you're terminally ill, but then you've got bigger problems.

Signing up
I want to make postage as quick, cheap, and easy as I amcan. When you sign up, you'll need to choose a postage option. They are:
[My country] only if you're only ready to post things within your country.
Regional if you can post something to a nearby country.
Worldwide OK if you're rich, organised, and up for posting anywhere in the world. I'll still try to put your match in your region, though.

In 2016 and 2017, the regions were North America, Europe, and Pacific. If you're in the USA, restricting things to your country shouldn't be a problem. If you're anywhere else, it might just be, so consider plugging this Secret Santa somewhere other people from your country post. If it looks like there might be issues with postage, I'll be in touch before signups end. There haven't been yet though, don't worry.

What to get
The idea of the Secret Santa is to spread joy and love. Here's how. First, read your match's sign-up post. Second, your present should be worth roughly the cost of a new hardback novel in your country – about US$25. Nobody should feel cheated when their Santa sends them something worth much less than they sent. The $25 does not include postage, so don't spend $5 on a present and $20 on postage!

Apart from that, everything is ok. More than one book? Great. Good-as-new books? Super, if you remember they're worth a bit less than new books. Book-related things or a little extra? Awesome. Look at previous threads for ideas, and try to surprise your match – that's part of the fun! Just remember that a book token is boring, so don't send that.

Your match may already have the book you sent them. This is unlucky but not your fault if you read their sign-up post. However, please try to get a gift receipt in case this happens – it may not work internationally but is a nice idea.

How to post your gift
Quickly. You must post with enough time for it to reach your match by Monday December 24th at the latest. Take a photo of your proof of postage and the parcel. You don't need to show me, but if your present is late it'll be useful to prove that you sent it on time with the correct address. Label the present as being part of the Secret Santa so they know what it is.

Remember, if you're posting internationally, you may be able to buy your gift online in their country, post to their address, and save time and money.

Anything else?
If I have to email you, please reply quickly so as not to hold everyone else up or delay your own present.

It's unlikely to happen, but if you mess up, expect the moderator's wrath, depending on how grievous a sin you have committed. Obviously if something is delayed, lost, or damaged in the post that's not your fault. Again, this hasn't happened yet, so don't let fear of this stop you joining in.

You can sign up as a backup Santa. If someone doesn't get anything, you'll be the one to make sure they do. This didn't happen last year and it's unlikely to, but feel free. If you would like to send extra Christmas presents to everyone, please get in touch! I'd be delighted to make it happen. If it does, I'll post in the thread and participants must tell me they want it by email or post. You don't get it automatically.

Please tell other subforums and threads about this. The more the merrier!

What to do in step-by-step detail
1. Finish reading this whole post and ask any questions you have in the thread.

2. Post in this thread and bookmark it. Tell us what you'd like or not like, if an e-book or audiobook is okay, and what equipment you've got. Be explicit; your Santa may be a Luddite. Add anything else you'd like to be public, such as your goodreads profile or whatever.

3. Email bookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com telling me this:
Username: Please put this in your email's subject line.
Real Name and Address: Including the country. If you're in a non-English speaking country, please send me your address in both English and your local language.
Postage: Your country, regional, or worldwide OK.
Anything else: Anything else I or your Santa might need to know that you want to be private, or that you need to be sure I've read.

Do this even if you've been in a Secret Santa before.

4. When I get your email, I'll note your information and send a confirmation email. You need the confirmation, so bug me if you don't get one within a day or two.

5. Signups will close on Wednesday 21st November. I'll email you with your match's information before Thursday 22nd November. You should then read their post and think of something they'd like.

6. Post it to them so it arrives on Monday December 24th at the latest.

7. When your present arrives, post in the thread so your Santa and I know it arrived safely. You can open it whenever you like, but when you do, post photos and thank your Santa. This is a rule, not a suggestion.

8. When your match posts to say thank you, step forward and take a bow.

9. If your present didn't arrive by December 24th, let me know and I'll check with your Santa. This is why you need proof of postage.

10. If you have a problem with anything, please post in the thread, email me, or contact the mod ASAP.

The most important thing...
I know there's a lot of rules here, but they're purely to prevent drama. Hopefully it'll come down to nothing more complex than “give your match a nice present well in time for Christmas”. Don't sweat it.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Oh yeah, and let me post to say that I'm in, too.

I'm Safety Biscuits, and I'm in, of course. I mostly read literature these days, but I'm not averse to interesting genre fiction. I'm also interested in history, mythology, and culture, especially about East Asia, where I live. Surprise me with something you love!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
safety biscuits if you post about this in one more thread i will come to your house

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

safety biscuits if you post about this in one more thread i will come to your house

Those biscuits aren't going to be safe for long!

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I hope you get enough goons to sign up... it doesn't look like it's getting a lot of traction so far. You can count on me at least. I've done it a few years and always enjoyed both the giving and receiving.

I'm interested in pretty much anything except romance and poetry. I don't read a lot of non-fiction, so that may be nice. Whatever you find personally interesting is good with me. I prefer paper books and am completely fine with used. You can check out my goodreads profile to see what I normally read and make sure you don't get a dupe:

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3350253-kevin

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

Those biscuits aren't going to be safe for long!

No biscuits are safe when I'm around, boyo.

Anyway, I'm extending signups for a week - you now have until the 28th, and I'll give out matches on the 29th.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The only Secret Santa more dead than this is the CineD Secret Santa. :(

I'm in. Will send my details in an e-mail shortly.

Likes: Literature, Horror, Poetry, Short Story Collections, Critical Theory on Film, Literary Theory

Dislikes: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Romance, Bestselling Mysteries

I'll include a wish-list in my e-mail. Used books are a-okay with me.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
In. USA only, sorry.

Please go to iUniverse or Xlibris or AuthorHouse or some other lovely vanity press and browse the sci-fi and fantasy categories until you find something dumb and so goddamn crazy for me. None of the poo poo I just linked; I want it to be a surprise. If you find something dumb and goddamn crazy that isn't sci-fi or fantasy, that's fine too, but those sections have the biggest embarrassments of riches. Thanks and have a merry Christmas.

Edit: If you get me the Christmas Legend book, I will not be surprised, but I sure won't be disappointed.

Edit 2: Yeah, just get me the drat Christmas book.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 20, 2018

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I don't really have need for any books but I will sign up to send books to people.

I work right next door to a bookstore that has thousands of used books for $1 each so if you send me your address I'll mail you like 5 books for Xmas.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Shipping to Canada from the US is super expensive, also impossible now that Canada Post has closed the border due to a labor dispute, so out this year. Plus I am only halfway through the past two years of gifts still.

I am totally happy to be sending books OTOH, as there are ways to get around the strike, and I love buying them, but just have such limited time to read them :( so in for that

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
here's my amazon wishlist

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

In. USA only, sorry.

Can you email me your info, please - I'm not seeing it.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I don't really have need for any books but I will sign up to send books to people.

I work right next door to a bookstore that has thousands of used books for $1 each so if you send me your address I'll mail you like 5 books for Xmas.

Could you drop me a line so we can talk about this?

Bilirubin posted:

Shipping to Canada from the US is super expensive, also impossible now that Canada Post has closed the border due to a labor dispute, so out this year. Plus I am only halfway through the past two years of gifts still.

I am totally happy to be sending books OTOH, as there are ways to get around the strike, and I love buying them, but just have such limited time to read them :( so in for that

Sorry to hear that. I'll remember the second part, though!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
bilirubin if you’re in Toronto I’ll drive up to the Falls and you can lob the books across

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I'm in! Here's my up to date goodreads list: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/78968581

I own all of the books on this list, regardless of shelf. I am happy to try out any fiction you're willing to send me. I tend to not read non-fiction as much, but if you have one you think can't be missed I'll be happy to check it out too. Basically I'm happy with and will read anything :)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Just sent a signup email. Let's do this.

Things I'm interested in, in no particular order:

1. Literature and poetry. I want to start getting into international stuff, so if you have any international-lit favorites, send them along. One thing I've been thinking about tracking down lately is a non-Waley version of Journey to the West. (I enjoyed Waley's Monkey but am aware it's dated and heavily abridged. Less abridged = better.)
2. Some more literary/less exploitation-y horror stuff. I hear good things about Ligotti, and I've been looking for more Aickman since reading and enjoying Dark Entries.
3. Weird poo poo! If it'd fit into the Weird and Wonderful Books thread over in GBS, I'll probably enjoy it. Self-published garbage is fantastic, too; if you have a lead on a copy of Felsic Tension, not gonna lie, that poo poo would probably make my holiday season.

I'm fine with new or used books (and love used books with weird inscriptions/evidence of past lives), but I would prefer physical books, not ebooks or audio.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Goodreads profile or anything similar, but if you want to check if your gift idea is a dupe, SA forums member hexwren lives with me and can be PM'd. Looking forward to sending someone a bulk-shipping box of used D&D tie-in novels the exchange!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

chernobyl kinsman posted:

bilirubin if you’re in Toronto I’ll drive up to the Falls and you can lob the books across

hahaha I would actually like whatever baby loving books you might pick but I'm north of Montana not New York

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

OK everyone! AnonymousNarcotics is a generous Bonus Santa! If you're in the US and you'd like presents from them, PM them your address and details. If you don't have PMs, I'll send them your info if you tell me to.

If anyone signing up after this would like me to pass their details on, just say so in your sign-up email, please.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm in and will send an email later, pretty busy at work today but wanted to get in on this plus AN's dollar book list.

My goodreads is here and pretty thoroughly represents what I like and avoid, other than that I'm open to most things:

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/26945684-travis

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah okay I'm on board, I'll email shortly.

here's my goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/57983142-topher

though it's mostly only reliable for "poo poo I've already read". I'm into lit, horror (especially cosmic horror, but definitely not bizarro), scifi/fantasy, and mystery, though generally speaking the less mainstream the more I tend to enjoy it. I'm also cool with pre-modern poetry/verse and theatrical plays in general, though I work in theater professionally so I've read a whole lot of the classics. Print copies, Kindle ebooks and Audible audiobooks are all fine by me.

Here's my Amazon wishlist too: http://a.co/ebmH6W1

actually, hell, I'm on board with most of chernobyl kinsman's wishlist too

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 27, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for my Santa to see all the book suggestions I got from stalking my favorite TBB posters opinions, complete with notes.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Can't wait for my Santa to see all the book suggestions I got from stalking my favorite TBB posters opinions, complete with notes.

Yeah pretty sure you could parse out what threads I lurk from my wishlists

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 25, 2022

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Goodreads. Also down for well-written books; I vacillate between fantastic ones and pulpy dreck depending on my energy level.

email sent.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I'm in. surprise me

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Signups are now closed. Hold onto your butts because matches will be coming out soon.

Edit: matches are out. I'm sure all you busy shoppers will find this link handy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Babyfucker-Urs-Allemann/dp/1934254169/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543407799&sr=8-1&keywords=babyfucker

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 28, 2018

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

Signups are now closed. Hold onto your butts because matches will be coming out soon.

Edit: matches are out. I'm sure all you busy shoppers will find this link handy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Babyfucker-Urs-Allemann/dp/1934254169/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543407799&sr=8-1&keywords=babyfucker

lol

I just updated my Goodreads "want to read shelf" which I never really use in case my secret santa wants some more explicit guidance. It's mostly stuff that I've seen recc'ed and hasn't been available at my library so I stick it in a spreadsheet. Seriously tho I totally welcome surprises and am remarkably easy to please so if you are brave I am down for whatever.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I am also not tough to please, I'll read just about anything of decent quality, nonfiction included. I have also read a whole lot of bad horror novels in the last few years, though I'm fine with, y'know, good horror too.

Also I grew up in a really isolated part of the midwest and in recent years have gotten oddly nostalgic for prairies and badlands (though not the politics) so books that kind of tap into those sort of settings have been enjoyable lately.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure everyone participating either knows me and my taste or has received gifts from me in past Santa exchanges, so I feel confident in whoever picks me.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Just bought my first batch of books! If you only sent me a Goodreads link you need to give me some likes/dislikes or you're getting all books in foreign languages

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Just bought my first batch of books! If you only sent me a Goodreads link you need to give me some likes/dislikes or you're getting all books in foreign languages

I like books in English and like my pal Fran:

Franchescanado posted:

Likes: Literature, Horror, Poetry, Short Story Collections, Critical Theory on Film, Literary Theory

Dislikes: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Romance, Bestselling Mysteries

except in my case I'm typically fine with non-series Sci-Fi

Also you're awesome, again.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Had a super successful trip to the used book store near me, looking forward to paying more for shipping all these big old hardcovers than I paid for all the books themselves

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Just picked up batch #2. Hopefully that's the last one. Now, how the hell do I ship these things?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A padded bubble mailer is probably fine. Hell, when I still did Paperbackswap a lot of times I'd ship (and receive) books that were wrapped in some sort of clingwrap or reynolds wrap, then parcel paper, and that worked fine.

If you're shipping just within the US, you can use Media Mail rates for books. Depending on the weight of the book, that may be cheaper than parcel post or Flat Rate envelopes.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Tracking shows package delivered but awaiting the confirmation post in the thread. :f5:

Safety Biscuits posted:

7. When your present arrives, post in the thread so your Santa and I know it arrived safely. You can open it whenever you like, but when you do, post photos and thank your Santa. This is a rule, not a suggestion.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

It's here! Thank you, Furious Lobster!

I'm really sorry for making you wait for confirmation... We're having a busy time of year at work.

I'm not going to open it until Christmas, but I'm looking forward to it. Thanks a lot!

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Shipped today and was told it should come in on the 12th!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My shopping’s done. Will be mailing it in day or so.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
BTW I may or may not send out these books by a deadline but they're free so no complaining

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Shipped off the package to my Santee today. They are supposed to get it on Friday (12/14). I think they'll like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 25, 2022