Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Huh, so whatever caused the disaster in Rodentia before was NOT from Voden, because they actually used Voden to kill it. Puzzling. Also, Voden probably ate a previous Harbinger.

Also, Ratika is just one tangled ball of guilt, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
The Harbinger (the previous one) was eaten by Voden after using it's power against a greater threat, Kali (who 'surged from beneath the world'. Didn't we see a memory about some eldritch being that lay among the world-roots and was interested in whether the mortals remembered Voden?). Didn't we murder Draga (and Indrik) to learn that Voden takes the form of things it eats?

Also, unless Ratika's mother is also named Ratika, our favorite Rodentian is older than we thought. Older than Draga. Older than Vera (biologically at least. Spiritually is a different matter).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If Voden ate the previous Harbinger, then I smell a mirror fight.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Hmm, Ratika certainly looks younger than she apparently is. I'm just happy we learn more about Ellia, I knew she was important.

I'm also very concerned about our NPC friends. Ludomir and Draga will perhaps survive, but Ratika is already deathless, and there's nobody who could save Indrik from being killed :ohdear:

I'm also not fine with a solo level we will apparently get? I liked the team dynamics :(

Those last level up upgrades are really good, cutting down the energy level necessary for the insta kills is great.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I'm surprised this game doesn't have any groundhogs.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Torrannor posted:

I'm also very concerned about our NPC friends. Ludomir and Draga will perhaps survive, but Ratika is already deathless, and there's nobody who could save Indrik from being killed :ohdear:

Draga died in the prologue, before we started messing around in the timeline. I wouldn't put my hopes on her survival in this one...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
"It's but a shadow"... but still much stronger than your previous sword, and actually makes your energy bar gradually fill instead of graduating decaying!

The mirror fight uses the combat powers of Draga, Ratika, Ludomir and Indrik when they were bosses. That's pretty cool. You've learned to deal with them individually, now you must deal with them combined.

Also, were those the ending slides? The real ending slides? There's no way to make one final playthrough, saving them all from their fates? :(

Is this a standalone game, or will it get sequels? If there will be sequels, the ending makes sense. It's a fine artistic choice, the players shouldn't always be able to get a 100% perfect happy ending.

But this was still pretty bleak :(

I actually found the finale weaker than the parts before it. I really enjoyed the mystery aspect of the game, teasing out what really happened based on the clues we were given. But it's fitting to end the game in a big boss fight against Voden.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Torrannor posted:

Also, were those the ending slides? The real ending slides? There's no way to make one final playthrough, saving them all from their fates? :(

There's one more update to go.

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
I really expected them to do something with the hints that voden can change shapes, and have the vera you interact with be voden. And the finale is somewhat hurt by not having the other characters to interact with, the game really lives on them being enjoyable to have along. The mystery wouldn't be half as compelling without people around to react to the events.

The ending was expectantly bleak for everyone involved. Hoping the last update is a happy ending without too many contrivances.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I would just like to take this moment to admit that that I have actually played this game before, when it first came out. I enjoyed it very much, as I enjoyed its predecessor Path of Destinies (hence why I bought Omensight day 1). Granted, I haven't played it since May (when it came out), and I wasn't a completionist, so half the memories Really Pants picked up were only vaguely remembered, and half were completely new (the one where Ratika was revealed to be a contemporary of Ellia was a surprise).

I was surprised by the ending, especially since Path of Destinies generally had a more quirky, upbeat feel to it, but I mostly made my peace with it save for one niggling detail: The Children of the Void. Sure, the Harbinger can't be everywhere, stopping Voden is the important part, sacrifices have to be made, yadda yadda yadda. But for Yarbogs sake, couldn't we have at least stabbed Fyobor in the face? Broken the cults leadership? Done something to prevent the cult from trying the same thing again a decade or so from now?

Not to mention that when the game shipped, there was no way to go back to previous chapters, so some memories (and even plot branches) could literally become impossible to acquire if you went far enough in the game.

But recently, things changed. In October, a patch was released that changed a number of things, but two in particular were important. The first was the ability to finally revisit earlier chapters post-game, allowing for easier 100% completion runs. The second, was the addition of an alternate ending (one that was actually in the game files from the start and could be seen with a video player, but was not available in-game). I have absolutely no knowledge of this alternate ending. I do not know how one gets it (though I would hazard a guess that it involves collecting all memories, given the save file switcheroo Pants had to do for this update). I do not know what happens in this ending. Not a single thing.

I have been meaning to play the game again, but other things kept catching my attention. When I saw Really Pants post this in the Sandcastle, I had to be here from day one. Like I said, I made my peace with the original ending. I appreciated it for what it was. The new ending only needs to change one thing to satisfy me.

I just want someone to stab Fyobor in the face.

EDIT: Also, while I have your attention, I would just like to draw your attention to this trailer the developers made for Omensights Definitive Edition.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 9, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I admit, I was also surprised that we just showed Ludomir the Omensight and then simply left with him, while the Harbinger knew that Fyobor was a void cultist. I guess it would have been difficult to retain Ludomir's trust if the Harbinger had offed Fyobor?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Torrannor posted:

But this was still pretty bleak :(
Yeah, holy poo poo. Their uninterceded fates have been drummed in by the loops and we see it going down on the map, but still, to have it all laid out like "HERE IT IS, YOUR ENDING," woof.

Really Pants posted:

There's one more update to go.
Can the Harbinger pull off an Onkko? ("As eviscerating a choice as it was, it was the only one I could live with.")

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nthing the bleak ending talk. Like I get it but drat, what a downer. Especially since a lot of character learn their lessons across their loops and yet it's all lost.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So how about that ending! The world is technically saved but your friends all died anyway, or worse. The Children of the Void are still around and given how perfectly placed they were to exploit any move Voden's enemies could make, this might not even set them back for long. The end, no moral.

Now perhaps you could say that the Harbinger was created to deal with existential threats like Kali and Voden, and the well-being of any one person on Urralia has nothing to do with her mission. As quick as she is to kill anyone standing in her way, it might not even be a concern for her.

Perhaps you could also simply say: that's life. You don't get to just toss the evil ring in the volcano and live happily ever after. Nothing is ever that easy.

Well I say gently caress All That. These people have all fought and suffered, bled and died, over and over to help accomplish the Harbinger's mission, quite often by her own hand. They've earned a chance to live.

Let's give it to them.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 13, 2018

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
The lack of Fyobor shanking is rather disappointing, but that's definitely a happier ending. When Vera talked about controlling Voden, my first assumption was that the harbringer was actually going to fully subsume its role and basically become a not-rear end in a top hat void god.

I guess that whole business with other non-voden threats lurking around below the world was a hook for a potential third game in the setting.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Well, that ending was about what I expected. I won't deny that there are a few things I would have preferred, like an ever so slightly longer ending. Have Ratika have some appearance in the first cutscene, the party splits up with Indrik getting Draga, the Harbinger gets Ludomir at Fyobor's bar (is it wrong that I assume Ludomir would still be at the bar?), Ludomir gets Omensighted, Fyobor gets slammed through the counter, then everyone goes to the place to do the thing come nightfall, with lot's of Ciphers and cultists of both nations in their way. If wishes were fishes...I still wouldn't get what I just wrote (terrible fisher).

As for you, Pants, your 'slapdash' style was perfectly fine to me, I could certainly stand to watch more of that. It's just too bad that there isn't really much to comment on during the gameplay, I wouldn't have minded more of that commentary.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Just an FYI, the video link you polsy'd starts most of the way through the video.

Thanks for the LP! It's a shame it took them 6 months to patch in an ending that wasn't bears rocks fall, everyone dies.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Muuuuuuch better!

Thanks for the LP, Pants!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kurieg posted:

Just an FYI, the video link you polsy'd starts most of the way through the video.

Should be fixed now...but I am phone posting so I may have just made it worse.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I can confirm the new link works fine for you. No need to worry about phone posting.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is a much better end to the LP. I really liked your montage, those "jumping on party members" easter eggs were cute. Perhaps this ending was a bit too "and they live happily ever after", but I'll take it over the alternative.

Watching this, I had a a deja vu. It actually reminded me a bit of the enhanced edition of the ME3 ending. Reading that this ending came out months after the game was released only strengthens that feeling. Not that the original ending to Omensight was a train wreck like ME3's ending. It was internally consistent, and actually fit into the apocalyptic setting. But it was still too bleak for my tastes, I'm glad the Omensight devs improved matters.

Also, I just realized that I turned off closed captions after the first video and probably missed a ton of things that you explained in your following vids :negative:

Anyway, this was a very cool LP, thanks a lot for doing it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Earlier I was thinking to myself "I wonder if this is building up to rewinding on the priestess" but then "no no, there's only four statues" and "doing that at her grave would've been a little too ghoulish" and "no wait that all happened earlier didn't it and we've only got a day of rewind" and then the game goes ahead and loving addresses all that.

Hmm, I'm seeing that Spearhead's previous game was also a sort of groundhog day situation?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Fish Noise posted:

Hmm, I'm seeing that Spearhead's previous game was also a sort of groundhog day situation?

More of a Choose Your Own Adventure situation. The main character gets his hands on a book of prophecy and is trying to find the one future that he would actually enjoy/be alive in.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, the plot behind "Stories" is that as you go through the game you uncover 4 incontrovertible truths about the world, which vaguely function as this game's "Omensights", at certain points on previously played routes you can use a Truth you've uncovered to branch off into a different path.

The main problem is that there are 26~Ish endings and you need to play through four levels every single time you want to unlock one of them, and make sure you don't accidentally go back onto a previously played route. There's no grayscale fast forward while a choir ominously hums in the background like there are in Omensight.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The routes in Stories just aren't as interesting, either. Probably the biggest difference is that there's no dialogue, only a narrator who pops up to tell the story in-between levels. The narrator's quite good--he's the guy who voices Indrik, Fyobor, and most of the rat & dog soldiers--but the way somebody's almost always talking in Omensight, both allies & enemies, goes a long way to help keep things fresh as you run through the same seven or eight areas.

Stories is still a neat game. Like OddHaberdasher, I enjoyed it enough to buy Omensight as soon as I heard about it, but I didn't enjoy it enough to try for 100% like I've done here. It's definitely a prototype that Omensight builds upon and refines in pretty much every respect.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Also if you stop in the middle of the run to "start a new game" it doesn't kick you back to the starting level it resets all of your levels/skills/endings/truths which the game describes as "your progress". Which kind of killed my interest in playing it anymore at that point.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Not that the original ending to Omensight was a train wreck like ME3's ending. It was internally consistent, and actually fit into the apocalyptic setting. But it was still too bleak for my tastes, I'm glad the Omensight devs improved matters.

Yeah we knew what happened to all the characters from when we experienced their last day so their fates were no surprise. I still find myself enjoying this ending way more though.

And that was a fantastic one-liner to end the fight on.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That was a nice ending and thanks for a great LP. There is one thing still bugging me. In one of the paths, the very bad one, Indrik said something about Draga betraying him by doing something in the prison. I wonder what that's about.

EDIT: Actually 2 things. The second is that second favor Ratika wanted while she was dying. I wonder what she was going to say.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 12, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Draga's first memory was about how watching the guards fight an intruder at her factory made her want to be a fighter herself, but no Pygarian soldier would have ever taught her. I can only think Draga approached that intruder in prison for combat training, then broke them out or arranged for their release after she had climbed through the ranks. I don't know if I missed anything in the game that confirms or expands on that story or on the identity of Draga's trainer.

Ratika's second favor has got to be related to rooting out Vera's void-cult contacts in Rodentia. That's all she wants to do in the third & fourth chapters of the game.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 12, 2018

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Really Pants posted:

Draga's first memory was about how watching the guards fight an intruder at her factory made her want to be a fighter herself, but no Pygarian soldier would have ever taught her. I can only think Draga approached that intruder in prison for combat training, then broke them out or arranged for their release after she had climbed through the ranks. I don't know if I missed anything in the game that confirms or expands on that story or on the identity of Draga's trainer.

The last video implies pretty firmly that Ludomir trained Draga to me (14:47 for the precise moment). Ludomir moved to Pygaria to be near Vera (meeting Fyobor along the way), Draga approached Ludomir for training and then repaid the favour by breaking Ludomir out when he got captured during the war.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Oh yeah, that was some heavily implied familiarity there.
The earlier timeline of events up until final stages of void plot and Harbinger activation seems super unclear and surprisingly long - like what is going on with the relative ages here, not to mention there was an entire additional averted apocalypse - and I don't think this is entirely the result of our distorted perspective.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

OddHaberdasher posted:

The last video implies pretty firmly that Ludomir trained Draga to me (14:47 for the precise moment). Ludomir moved to Pygaria to be near Vera (meeting Fyobor along the way), Draga approached Ludomir for training and then repaid the favour by breaking Ludomir out when he got captured during the war.

Though Indrik says something about how "love" was why she did it. It's kind of vague but I don't see how Ludomir was involved with Draga, because he never mentions anyone he was closer to than Vera. Also Ludomir was more into fighting with his fists and brute strength, while Draga only ever uses weapons.

It's also possible that whoever trained her was not who she helped in the prison.

The last vid mentions that they fought each other before. Also Ludomir was good at fighting, but was never really "trained". He doesn't have any discipline to speak of.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 12, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mastersord posted:

Also Ludomir was good at fighting, but was never really "trained". He doesn't have any discipline to speak of.

His dad is/was a prize fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

mastersord posted:

Though Indrik says something about how "love" was why she did it. It's kind of vague but I don't see how Ludomir was involved with Draga, because he never mentions anyone he was closer to than Vera. Also Ludomir was more into fighting with his fists and brute strength, while Draga only ever uses weapons.

It's also possible that whoever trained her was not who she helped in the prison.

The last vid mentions that they fought each other before. Also Ludomir was good at fighting, but was never really "trained". He doesn't have any discipline to speak of.

Draga was the one who first mentioned love in that particular confrontation, and unrequited love is a thing. Ultimately, however, we may never know.