Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Reviews are starting to come out for the whole season- I've only read a couple, but they are very positive!

Though they do mention some awkward lines...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh great another retired cop talking about his big rear end dick

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

You know, I heard that the Full Moon is the best time to ratify alliances from somewhere.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Rolling Stone review is slightly less positive

InachisIo
Oct 2, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Reviews are starting to come out for the whole season- I've only read a couple, but they are very positive!

Though they do mention some awkward lines...

I don't think Pizzalatte is capable of writing without throwing in some of his signature awkward lines. Though, really, some probably translate to a lot.

I really, really, really liked season 1, despite the plagiarism accusations and the fact that he cannot write lady characters. Rust was :allears: enough that I didn't notice until it was over.

Hopefully, this season will be a little weirder and less dull than season 2 - which I watched, but only really remember the Purgatory bar scenes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
People forget that half the reason those McConnaughey lines work is because you've got Woody there reacting like only he can. It's not intended to be played totally straight, Rust says things that cause everyone around him to stop and look at him like he's insane, and it happens throughout the season. And he's called on it, at least once by Marty, and then at the end by himself after his own experiences change his way of thinking.

So there's a lot that goes into making lines like that work aside from just whether or not you have a good actor saying them. Season 2 was just so dour and serious at all times that the the attempts at philosophizing all came off as forced and artificial sounding.

Woody Harrelson was a crucially important ingredient in Season 1 and they forgot to make sure they had an equivalent in Season 2. And I'm worried they forgot again for Season 3.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 7, 2019

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Woody’s annoyed glares in the car while biting his lips is quality TV like none other. He’s so goddamn good in that season.

One of my favorite lines is from the first episode:

-Well, you asked...
-...and now I’m BEGGING you, to shut the gently caress up.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 8, 2019

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

If you were drowning I'd throw you a fuckin barbell.

Rust's holier-than-thou proselytizing also amounted to jack poo poo. In the end, no matter how above it all he considered himself, no matter how many times he used his big brain to logically separate himself from the other backwater hicks he was surrounded with, he was still a sad lonely alcoholic that pressured mentally challenged people into confessing without a lawyer and would bang his friend's wife with zero hesitation. He spat on everyone that blindly followed religion, never realizing the irony in his devout worship of nihilism. The whole series seemed hell-bent on bringing this guy down a peg, and it was only long after he hit rock bottom and realized he wasn't king of poo poo mountain that he was able to finish the job and take down the real monster.

I don't recall too much of the second series, but everyone was just incredibly dour the whole time, and then the series concluded with them being justified in their misanthropy and degradation because I read Nietzsche!! ya gotta become a monster to fight the monster!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My recent rewatch highlighted to me just how funny Harrelson is, and the levity he brings is a vital ingredient, breaking through Rust’s cynical bs.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah on rewatches H. shines.

far man, I'm so ready for this new season. I kept checking the internet if its out yet even though I know we're still days away.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
For me the thing that dragged down season 2 most was the location. In season 1 you had these gorgeous(ly afwul) locations in Louisiana which always had a sense of danger. The oil installations menacing on the horizon, crumbling towns on the edge of the water and general sense of a place in a different time gave everything something extra.

And then you get Los Angeles, a place you've seen a million times before. And while they did use Vernon as a location, the place Vinci was inspired by, there is nothing that stands out.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CeeJee posted:

For me the thing that dragged down season 2 most was the location. In season 1 you had these gorgeous(ly afwul) locations in Louisiana which always had a sense of danger. The oil installations menacing on the horizon, crumbling towns on the edge of the water and general sense of a place in a different time gave everything something extra.

And then you get Los Angeles, a place you've seen a million times before. And while they did use Vernon as a location, the place Vinci was inspired by, there is nothing that stands out.

That, and the fact that they had 4 lead characters, all of whom had a compelling story, but they tried to tell too many stories in too little time. I feel like it would have been a lot better if they had picked any two characters as the leads and focused on that.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
I came to enjoy the 2nd season after a rewatch but none of the 4 storylines were entirely compelling. Some bits work by the end of the season, like Aphrodite or whatever having a complex sexuality due to her being abused as a child but Ray's bullied kid, Vaughn's dumb sperm or bike cop's boner pills - that just sucked airtime without much purpose except putting them on edge all the time for reasons unrelated to the series of crime they're supposed to work on. Coming from a death cult stealing children for pedophilia and human sacrifice in season 1, the big payoff about 2 episodes from the season 2 finale is that corrupt cops and politicians gently caress prostitutes? :flaccid:

Knowing Pizzolato had time and a co-writer to service a better story gives me a lot of hope for s3 though. Jeremy Saulnier is awesome too, check out Green Room and Blue Ruin if you haven't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MightyJoe36 posted:

That, and the fact that they had 4 lead characters, all of whom had a compelling story, but they tried to tell too many stories in too little time. I feel like it would have been a lot better if they had picked any two characters as the leads and focused on that.

Like I said before though, the biggest problem was that all 4 leads were Rusts, leaving 0 Martys to do what Woody did for Season 1. Just four very very serious people who have very very serious thoughts at all times.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

God Hole posted:

would bang his friend's wife with zero hesitation. He spat on everyone that blindly followed religion, never realizing the irony in his devout worship of nihilism. The whole series seemed hell-bent on bringing this guy down a peg, and it was only long after he hit rock bottom and realized he wasn't king of poo poo mountain that he was able to finish the job and take down the real monster.

Whoa now, he hesitated at least a couple seconds, and she clearly was on a mission (payback for Marty), so. As for taking down 'the real monster,' he barely manged to kill a mentally challenged murderer for a crime more than a decade old instigated by much more powerful people. :colbert:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t know how much the mentally challenged part matters, a very accomplished killer had the drop on Rust due to cosmic hallucinations.

That actor still gives me the drat willys in everything I’ve seen him in except Barry.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Los Angeles and Vince Vaughn is a very hard sell for me. Too hard, honestly.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

mentally challenged =/= not intelligent. dude was obviously characterized as an incredibly versatile polymath landscaper cultist-rapist-murderer. duh

also the real monster meaning Rust's real monster. Rust broke for like ten years when he realized that he didn't actually win, that he wasn't as smart as he thought, the monster got one over on him and went on festering and spreading under his nose for years.

regarding Harrelson's wife being "on a mission", my point still stands

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
As long as we all recognize how efficient he was at cutting grass.

Perhaps Marty should have hired him and then Rust wouldn’t have hosed his wife?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I like mowing my lawn. Best lawn related scene in film history.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Heavy Metal posted:

I like Best lawn related scene in film history.

Pardon me, but no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5NDMA9EuX8

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Man I cannot wait to watch this show again

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

God Hole posted:

also the real monster meaning Rust's real monster.

Touché. Our real monster was the friends we unmade along the way.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

How about some crime TV recommendations in here, that cool? Anybody see The Shadow Line? I came across that recently, may check it out. Been digging on Miami Vice lately. I enjoyed The Wire and The Shield, been meaning to check out Homicide and NYPD Blue, also Crime Story, have only seen a bit of those. And NYPD Blue's David Milch co-wrote an episode of this True Detective season they say.

Marshland (La Isla Mínima) is a Spanish movie that came out shortly after True Detective and it feels very thematically similar (some people actually thought it plagiarized TD, even though filming began before the show came out). It's worth a watch.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
While the interplay with the characters was a high point, the secret ingredient to season 1 was undoubtedly Fukunaga who elevated both the characters and the overwrought scripts to something mystifying. No way would season 1 be remembered as anything but silly without him. Saulnier is a great choice for season 3 but he leaves after the second episode and the reviews I’ve read specifically note the lack of visual interest or missed potential because of this, while praising the lead.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Elman posted:

Marshland (La Isla Mínima) is a Spanish movie that came out shortly after True Detective and it feels very thematically similar (some people actually thought it plagiarized TD, even though filming began before the show came out). It's worth a watch.

Right on, I'll add that to the ol' watch list, thanks.

Danger posted:

While the interplay with the characters was a high point, the secret ingredient to season 1 was undoubtedly Fukunaga who elevated both the characters and the overwrought scripts to something mystifying. No way would season 1 be remembered as anything but silly without him. Saulnier is a great choice for season 3 but he leaves after the second episode and the reviews I’ve read specifically note the lack of visual interest or missed potential because of this, while praising the lead.

No doubt he brought a ton to the table. But I do think all the elements are strong enough, that any solid TV director could've done well with that script and cast. Take say that guy John Dahl, I'm sure that season would've been good with him having done it too. I doubt it'd be remembered as silly. Maybe not quite the masterpiece it was though.

Take Luther, and I find a lot of British shows in general, sometimes have a somewhat flat unremarkable feel to the direction. But stand out because of the great scripts and performances anyway. Not to throw whoever directs Luther under the bus, it's a great show. I just imagine True Detective season 1 without a notable director being at least as good as Luther for example.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 12, 2019

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Oh hey I just set my dvr and it turns out we get 2 episodes tomorrow night.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm cautiously optimistic about this but I'm glad I'm getting something to watch on Sundays again aside from my cartoon block

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
fap fap fap

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Elphiem posted:

fap fap fap

Not those types of cartoons!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not those types of cartoons!

I had no idea the yellow ranger was dead till I that red text :(

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

Is this season worth watching? I couldnt stop watching the first season. Some of the best TV in the past 5 years but I couldnt make it through 2 episodes of season 2.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

e.martin posted:

Is this season worth watching? I couldnt stop watching the first season. Some of the best TV in the past 5 years but I couldnt make it through 2 episodes of season 2.

Only some reviewers have seem the first half but consensus seems to be if you liked the first you will like this one, though it’s nothing groundbreaking.

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

Thanks sounds worth checking out.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Three hours to air, Marty. Easy does it, easy does it.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

e.martin posted:

Dude the show hasnt come out and if you cant commit to wasting two hours tonight to find out thats your problem.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The AV Club pre-premiere review wasn't very promising but I'm willing to give it a chance unless these episodes turn out to be a complete disaster.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
AV club will hand out a B to anything unoffensive which True Detective is certainly not.

Speaking of which this should be a good palette cleanser for Victoria

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Seems promising so far, much more coherent and to the point than most of what I remember of season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
I'm getting some serious West Memphis Three vibes out of this plot.