Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Yet somehow we never get around to taking on these global elite, who just so happen to live in our own backyard, because we're terrified of all these hungry masses living on the other side of the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

DynamicSloth posted:

Malthusian cynicism is a trap, it's also bullshit. The problem is not the billions of mouths on the bottom of the world hierarchy, it's the 1% on top who use exponentially more of the carbon budget and are responsible for every decision which got is into this mess and are currently gate-keeping any chance of turning things around.

The problem is any number of mouths at all, it's biological nature in action that we generate a 1% that dominates resource control and distribution. Malthusianism, ironically, isn't cynical enough.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
You appear to be attacking someone else then, as I never expressed those opinions.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

DynamicSloth posted:

Yet somehow we never get around to taking on these global elite, who just so happen to live in our own backyard, because we're terrified of all these hungry masses living on the other side of the planet.

You are probably part of the 1% friend. There is; after all, 78 million of you. Maybe not, maybe just one of the 390 million that make up the top 5%.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Electric Wrigglies posted:

You are probably part of the 1% friend. There is; after all, 78 million of you. Maybe not, maybe just one of the 390 million that make up the top 5%.

Edit: nm misread

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Electric Wrigglies posted:

What's your point? Climate change is certainly more on me (and everyone else in this thread) then the billions of humans in developing countries that the Malthusians and Dickens' villains love to pretend are the real problem.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

I think education of women, availability of birth control, and uplifting those in poverty are all important tools to help fight some of the effects in climate change, especially since the worst effects of climate change will first be felt by the global poor. Revolution and the upheaval of capitalism would obviously be pretty loving great, but I see no path towards that.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

So when are you going to get around to taking yourself on? You terrified of people that live in developing nations?

My point was a general nod towards a lot of people saying how they want to crunch down on the elite rah rah rah and don't realise that they themselves are the elite that they are talking about. Lack of self-awareness and all that.

I am fully supportive of your general thrust that the problem is not population or oversexed Africans or whatever.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

When talking climate specifically, it is clear that population controls or population reduction isn’t a sufficient solution.

4B people emitting as much as today is not different from 8B people emitting less than half what they emit today.

We have to change our economy and society to get to zero emissions, and if per-capita emissions are zero then population size doesn’t matter.

Broader questions about carrying capacity, multi-criteria sustainability, etc. are so complex and impacted by our other climate choices that I don’t think any of us posters can accurately predict what those future restrictions will be.

Which net zero agricultural system we create will define where and how we need land and water. etc.

There are many pathways where we end up with more people than we can sustain and there are pathways where we do not.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

All rather moot, yes? Net zero per-capita emissions is not going to happen in time, if it ever could. Pretty soon we will just be putting out fires, forever.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
It really doesn't matter either way, unless some aliens come save us or something this planet's only gonna have half a billion people on it a hundred years from now. The fraction of those people that are descended from those who are currently globally wealthy or globally poor doesn't matter that much to me because I'll be dead by then either way.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Yes, probably. All we can do really is focus on harm reduction in our local area and attempt to raise awareness in friends and family.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I guess the best I can hope for is that one day my son is shot in the head from behind for his water supply as opposed to slowly stabbed a bunch?

Not the kind of uplifting messaging that will drive people to the polls this November unfortunately.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

davebo posted:

I guess the best I can hope for is that one day my son is shot in the head from behind for his water supply as opposed to slowly stabbed a bunch?

Not the kind of uplifting messaging that will drive people to the polls this November unfortunately.

nah, teach your son to build underground domes, the domes will protect him. this thread has forgotten that domes are the way forward, and that the the earth itself will be our shelter.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

if per-capita emissions are zero then population size doesn’t matter.

this is just a formulaic way of saying "magic technology will save us". it would take a cold fusion breakthrough or something greater to even put that on the table.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

MightyBigMinus posted:

this is just a formulaic way of saying "magic technology will save us". it would take a cold fusion breakthrough or something greater to even put that on the table.

Yes, agreed. We cannot base future policy on complete unknowns, and I'm including geo-engineering in that.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

This is a pretty alarming image showing sea ice loss - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EY1Pzg6UMAA-Omn?format=jpg

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MightyBigMinus posted:

No new technology is required. The existing technology we have is more than enough to transform the economy of the world to be carbon neutral (in a real sense) within the decades required to still mitigate significant harms.

We lack the political will to do, but technology is not the issue. If you then assume that the politico-economic system itself cannot change, then sure you start requiring scifi to transform capitalism into a self-sustaining ouroboros. In reality the snake dies.

Saki posted:

Yes, agreed. We cannot base future policy on complete unknowns, and I'm including geo-engineering in that.

You're exactly right we don't need any unproven technologies. Especially not geo-engineering as the plan.

The technology we need is all well proven, often ancient. What we need is a society that's acting to respond at the scale the crisis demands. That's not a technology problem.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 27, 2020

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

What you ask would require all countries to completely give up business as usual, and pursue massive degrowth. There would still be huge climate disruption due to the locked-in damage, but yes, that would be ideal. It won't happen though, ever.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Saki posted:

What you ask would require all countries to completely give up business as usual, and pursue massive degrowth. There would still be huge climate disruption due to the locked-in damage, but yes, that would be ideal. It won't happen though, ever.

I don't think that the current socio-economic system is as stable as that.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think that the current socio-economic system is as stable as that.

Expand on this. So you agree with me that degrowth on the scale required won't happen? So what point are you making?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Saki posted:

Expand on this. So you agree with me that degrowth on the scale required won't happen? So what point are you making?

I'm saying that we both agree our existing socioeconomic system is unlikely to engage in whatever scale of action is required.

Climate change is exactly the kind of thing capitalism cannot property respond to, so I don't see it surviving in the face of it. So our socioeconomic system is increasingly unstable and whatever system succeeds in replacing it will seek carbon neutral economics as a matter of survival.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm saying that we both agree our existing socioeconomic system is unlikely to engage in whatever scale of action is required.

Climate change is exactly the kind of thing capitalism cannot property respond to, so I don't see it surviving in the face of it. So our socioeconomic system is increasingly unstable and whatever system succeeds in replacing it will seek carbon neutral economics as a matter of survival.

Ah. Fair enough. I don't think that transition will happen until a large portion of the world's population are in great distress, displaced, etc. I also think that the huge human migration that will happen down the line will have an unfortunate effect on our politics. I know that here in Europe we will get real fascist real quick when it happens. We will build walls.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

No new technology is required. The existing technology we have is more than enough to transform the economy of the world to be carbon neutral (in a real sense) within the decades required to still mitigate significant harms.
this is blog broscience nonsense.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MightyBigMinus posted:

this is blog broscience nonsense.

Please then, what makes it impossible to have a truly carbon neutral economy?

Saki posted:

Ah. Fair enough. I don't think that transition will happen until a large portion of the world's population are in great distress, displaced, etc. I also think that the huge human migration that will happen down the line will have an unfortunate effect on our politics. I know that here in Europe we will get real fascist real quick when it happens. We will build walls.

Yeah I don’t think there’s any course left that doesn’t have more mass death than now. But the grim optimism of the potential for slightly reduced future mass death remains.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Trabisnikof posted:

Paved roads.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Trabisnikof posted:

Global temperatures are determined by the area under the curve from where we are now to the carbon neutral point. That trajectory is more important than saying that a carbon neutral economy is possible. If it's possible by 2100 then it's not avoiding catastrophic warming. hth.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

To be clear, a carbon neutral economy has to both be possible, and we have to reduce our emissions by 7% every year along the way to keep global warming within the bounds of what we consider "safe"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Global temperatures are determined by the area under the curve from where we are now to the carbon neutral point. That trajectory is more important than saying that a carbon neutral economy is possible. If it's possible by 2100 then it's not avoiding catastrophic warming. hth.

There are still outcome ranges even within high warming scenarios. hth.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Was this post written by a Markov chain bot? It's inscrutable.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

I think he means a post-collapse economy may be carbon-neutral.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

He's saying there's degrees of being hosed. Which is true

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

i like how you started out saying "popluation doesn't matter if we can get net-zero per-capita" and now you've backpedalled that all the way to "there are ranges".

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Trabisnikof posted:

Not the content of the image, the deeply ingrained capitalist social conditioning which facilitated it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Evil_Urna posted:

Anti-Irish sentiment in America and England had nothing to do with race, and everything to do with them being Catholic.

Whiteness, race and religion are all made up and have no objective basis. Hth.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rime posted:

Not the content of the image, the deeply ingrained capitalist social conditioning which facilitated it.

I understood his point to be that the issue is not technical/scientific and this agrees. Eco fascism will rise

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Eco-Fascism would be dealing with those regressive chuds swiftly and decisively to salvage the environment, what people keep labelling as it instead is just plain old capitalism. The violence wrought upon the third world over the 20th century in the name of "growth" brought home to the west at last, as declining everything requires domestic force to maintain capital extraction and upward flow. The ouroborous eating its tail.

Nothing Eco about maintaining the supply of F150's and Big Macs through violence. Or shooting randoms in a church, or the myriad other things currently being branded as "ecofacism" in an attempt to smear the environmental movement.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
eco-fascism is just plain old fascism, but the excuse for it is ~muh environments~, op. that's literally the only difference. salvage environment? lmao ain't nobody got time for that

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They revised ocean heating up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

They revised ocean heating up again.

Faster or slower?