Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've learned to be wary of anyone who likes anything that comes from Japan. But that's more of a good idea than something that ruined me really.

1stGear posted:

I can't read or hear "69" without automatically appending "Nice."

I had to go to a funeral a few weeks ago and every time someone said "So-and-so passed away at the age of 69", I mentally went "Nice."

Same, a grumpy Polish coworker has to pick up something every morning by saying "b-69" and every time I say "nice." He thinks I'm weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I can't figure out snapchat.

I recently rejoined Facebook for the first time since 2011 due to it having groups that I can't find anywhere else (Canadians in Australia) and my friends list is a ghost town. No one under 40 posts anything. Weird that it killed almost all forums but may not outlive SA.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Guy Mann posted:

In terms of actually ruining me I think the biggest negative effect SA had on my life was the way its PC gaming culture simultaneously prolonged the amount of time I spent immersed in gaming while spending less time actually playing games and not enjoying them nearly as much when I did. The fixation on deals and saving and gaming various systems especially, the Steam thread and the like are one huge community of people spending hundreds and even thousands of dollars on games they'll never play while patting themselves on the back for "saving" so much money and making the countless hours spent monitoring deals and bundles and idling for cards to sell for pennies of "free" money worth it. And having more games than you could ever play while you continue to buy even more makes people focus on minmaxing their gaming time even further; there are entire threads and websites built around forcing people to play games to a certain play time or percentage completion just for the purpose of checking them off of some list, arguments and guides about how many hours you have to sink into a game or game series before it actually gets fun to play, and deep battle trenches dug over exactly what combination of mods and DLC and character builds are the Objectively Superior Gaming Experience. Factor in the increasingly loud, angry, and fragmented culture wars over everything from DLC prices to the hair color of default protagonists and it's just a morass of unhappy people who seem to spend more time arguing about games than actually playing them and for all the time and energy they spend following coverage of new games spend most of their actual gaming time just playing the same map game or roguelite day in and day out year after year.

Trading my gaming PC in for a laptop and a Switch and replacing Games and PYF with Twitter and Discord was one of the best things I've done in years.

On this note, SA made me realize how repugnant "gamers" were so I sold everything and am trying to live in reality and be mentally and physically healthy. But since I live in a place that never stops raining and is 10C/50F until May I have just ended up catching up on decades of tv and movies.

Black Mirror is pretty dope (two episodes in)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You know you can just... play video games and act like a normal, decent human being?

Nah I just don't want to play video games anymore. It does nothing but harm, and it gets more pronounced as you get closer to your 40s. I stopped enjoying them.

Plus I'm moving across the world to somewhere with warmth and actual daylight year round. Last time I lived there (4 years) I never thought about firing up the ol vidya game console.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Bloop posted:

lmao words of deep wisdom from the 30 something

It's fine if you stopped enjoying THING but that doesn't mean THING is inherently bad or even bad for most people

Yeah you're the type I'm talking about