Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

syscall girl posted:

Other than shopping or uh websites with a work/school/some kind of useful function I don't really internet if it's not SA.

It's kind of a dismal corporate hellscape of clickbait and social media disasters that look really dim through the lens of SA and having been online for a good 20+ years.

Yeah, SA has become such a rock-solid home base to my online presence that I haven't bothered to learn how to Instagram or Snapchat. I barely know how to Twitter. I learn about most of my news through here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

Honestly if most goons weren't so bad at learning new technology a lot of the shine would wear off SA because most of the most popular threads are either just people reposting content from other platforms (the Simpsons memes thread, any .txt thread or news thread) or are glorified chat threads that would work better as a Discord channel for the same handful of users that keep going to it directly from their user control panel day after day. It's also why goons think every other meme ever made originates here because it was just the first place they saw it at.

That, uh

was always SA's thing

like right from the very start SA was about collecting the horror of the net into one place and occasionally remixing it, maybe you're new here

what's the meme we're taking credit for that's got you all perturbed friend

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nurge posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you man? Did Lowtax kill your pets? I haven't seen a single post out of you that wasn't just making GBS threads on the website/goons or being the most depressing motherfucker on the planet

They're a former (?) TVTropes user who showed up in the TVTropes hatethread to poo poo on that site, got briefly popular due to insider knowledge, and then became increasingly bitter and spiteful ever since it was closed down (literally years ago)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

The goon Christmas albums are great and also how I discovered Hot Dad.

Nah gaming is literally a giant engine created to convert free time into a false sense of accomplishment. When you're an idiot child or NEET with no autonomy and endless free time it's as efficient a way of frittering away your free time as anything but lol if you actually have a job and life and hobbies and are putting that poo poo on hold to make numbers on a screen go up.

Replace that with "media consumption" and you might be on to something, otherwise you're just whining about drat kids these days (combined with some very Protestant Work Ethic bullshit)

Listening to music, watching movies or TV, and reading novels, all take your free time and don't even have the decency to make numbers on a screen go up

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

call center manager posted:

- Whenever I hear "it's happening", I think of that Ron Paul GIF with the laser lights, always followed by ronpaulclownshoes.jpg, with him looking so forlorn at his own rally
- I worked in fintech for a number of years and I would always mentally add ".avi" to the term 'Collateral Debt Swap'.

Using "dot tee ex tee" or "dot jay peg" in conversation if I don't stop myself :negative:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

They aren't. They were created and popularized outside SA long before they took off here. TYOOL is so old and well-worn that chuds dismissing people who say it with "it is current year" (in the same cadence as "orange man bad") has already been a thing for a long time on other websites.

Just because SA, the only website you spend any time on, is the first place you saw something doesn't mean it was created there or responsible for spreading it.

Why are you so angry every time you post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Phyzzle posted:

Can’t remember any of them as I wake up though.

They say that if a goon ever achieved a true dreampost, it would spell the end of the forums, and potentially civilisation.