Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It turns out you really can't un-see the FedEx arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

Yeah, SA has become such a rock-solid home base to my online presence that I haven't bothered to learn how to Instagram or Snapchat. I barely know how to Twitter. I learn about most of my news through here too.

Honestly if most goons weren't so bad at learning new technology a lot of the shine would wear off SA because most of the most popular threads are either just people reposting content from other platforms (the Simpsons memes thread, any .txt thread or news thread) or are glorified chat threads that would work better as a Discord channel for the same handful of users that keep going to it directly from their user control panel day after day. It's also why goons think every other meme ever made originates here because it was just the first place they saw it at.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In terms of actually ruining me I think the biggest negative effect SA had on my life was the way its PC gaming culture simultaneously prolonged the amount of time I spent immersed in gaming while spending less time actually playing games and not enjoying them nearly as much when I did. The fixation on deals and saving and gaming various systems especially, the Steam thread and the like are one huge community of people spending hundreds and even thousands of dollars on games they'll never play while patting themselves on the back for "saving" so much money and making the countless hours spent monitoring deals and bundles and idling for cards to sell for pennies of "free" money worth it. And having more games than you could ever play while you continue to buy even more makes people focus on minmaxing their gaming time even further; there are entire threads and websites built around forcing people to play games to a certain play time or percentage completion just for the purpose of checking them off of some list, arguments and guides about how many hours you have to sink into a game or game series before it actually gets fun to play, and deep battle trenches dug over exactly what combination of mods and DLC and character builds are the Objectively Superior Gaming Experience. Factor in the increasingly loud, angry, and fragmented culture wars over everything from DLC prices to the hair color of default protagonists and it's just a morass of unhappy people who seem to spend more time arguing about games than actually playing them and for all the time and energy they spend following coverage of new games spend most of their actual gaming time just playing the same map game or roguelite day in and day out year after year.

Trading my gaming PC in for a laptop and a Switch and replacing Games and PYF with Twitter and Discord was one of the best things I've done in years.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
other people my age talking about video games: My kid keeps doing the fortnite dance and it's distracting me from hour 80 of RDR2, haha

me talking about video games: the xbox one's RAM is insane and pewdiepie is a pedophile who keeps shouting the n word at other pedophile racists *checks phone* aw gently caress he's done it again time to post

lt_kennedy posted:

A bumper sticker Photoshop Phriday challenge that says "I beat my kids with my other kids!" Is something I can never not laugh like a goombus/think of everyday since like 04.

I don't know if it was the same thread or not but the POW-MIA/YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN bumper sticker with the text edited to say YOUR SON DIED/FOR NO REASON is one of the few edgy web 1.0 shitposts that I have only grown to love even more over the years and is also the first thing to come to mind whenever I see one of those mawkish pieces of crap in the wild.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The goon Christmas albums are great and also how I discovered Hot Dad.

The Bloop posted:

lmao words of deep wisdom from the 30 something

It's fine if you stopped enjoying THING but that doesn't mean THING is inherently bad or even bad for most people

Nah gaming is literally a giant engine created to convert free time into a false sense of accomplishment. When you're an idiot child or NEET with no autonomy and endless free time it's as efficient a way of frittering away your free time as anything but lol if you actually have a job and life and hobbies and are putting that poo poo on hold to make numbers on a screen go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I usually don’t realize that chud and TYOOL and poo poo like that are sa jargon until someone points it out

They aren't. They were created and popularized outside SA long before they took off here. TYOOL is so old and well-worn that chuds dismissing people who say it with "it is current year" (in the same cadence as "orange man bad") has already been a thing for a long time on other websites.

Just because SA, the only website you spend any time on, is the first place you saw something doesn't mean it was created there or responsible for spreading it.