Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I was on the toilet and thinking about my own mortality (again) and getting that weird sense of dread you feel in your chest. Does anyone else get that? It's when I think about there being nothing after death and that it's inevitable.

But then I had a funny thought: I already was dead. I was dead before I was born and it didn't bother me in the slightest. 4 billion years I was dead and it was no problem. So I guess being dead isn't so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
If you can distract yourself long enough from the fact that life is meaningless and death is inevitable then life isn't so bad.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Yeah but then I cum inside your mother and relief washes over me

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
"Thinking About Death" is the name of a quest in Destiny 2

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Being dead isn't the scary part, it's the dying.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Billions of living things have been alived and died. But only a few of them had the chance to register and post at forums.somethingawful.com

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Getting blackout drunk to simulate my inevitable fade into oblivion

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I get that feeling from time to time but it always just ends up being gas and goes away with some forced burping.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Time to poo poo or get off the pot buddy. :shrek:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

qkkl posted:

I get that feeling from time to time but it always just ends up being gas and goes away with some forced burping.

You can do this to a dead body too.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I was on the toilet and thinking about my own mortality (again) and getting that weird sense of dread you feel in your chest. Does anyone else get that? It's when I think about there being nothing after death and that it's inevitable.

But then I had a funny thought: I already was dead. I was dead before I was born and it didn't bother me in the slightest. 4 billion years I was dead and it was no problem. So I guess being dead isn't so bad.

i usually get a sense of relief on the toliet op

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I was dead before I was born and it didn't bother me in the slightest. 4 billion years I was dead and it was no problem. So I guess being dead isn't so bad.

Lot of assumptions you got here, how do you know you were dead and conked out before birth?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Way to steal a quote from Mark Twain (supposedly).

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Eat more fiber op, toilet time isn't meant to be that bad...

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
If it's any consolation OP, there is no you in the first place. Your very sense of self is merely a by product of electrical signals in a particular brain. Consciousness is an evolutionary adaptation. It's quite liberating to know that life is meaningless. It lets you relax and enjoy the little things - family, nature, alcohol.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Kazak posted:

Lot of assumptions you got here, how do you know you were dead and conked out before birth?

Well I wasn't alive. How is being dead any different than before you were born?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
thinki bout thos big goth titties

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Well I wasn't alive. How is being dead any different than before you were born?

Do you remember the womb/infancy? Or precisely everything you did after your brain became able to recall the past?

You were there even if you don't remember being there, saying you weren't somewhere just because you don't remember doesn't mean it's true

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys ever get some right guard deodorant and think to youreself, did I just get ripped off here? My left pit is still going to stink because I didnt get left guard. So you go back to the store half stankin and ask the stockboy where the gently caress the left guard is and he says “were all out srry bub”. And then an old man overhears you and pulls you aside and says, “you know what deodorant is? Bar soap in a plastic tube. You can literally just use dry bar soap for deodorant it’s the same poo poo sodium laureth sulfate or whatever”. And then all the lies you have been told over the years begin unraveling and you start seeing the world through bitter and cynical eyes, questioning everything from French fries to eye shadow. Is it a huge conspiracy, are we all just blind? So blind that we buy deodorant that only works for one arm? :thunk:

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Lol clam

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Kazak posted:

Do you remember the womb/infancy? Or precisely everything you did after your brain became able to recall the past?

You were there even if you don't remember being there, saying you weren't somewhere just because you don't remember doesn't mean it's true

My point was only that:

Prior to me existing - I did not exist.
After existing - I will no longer exist.

The way I see it, not being alive is the same as not being born yet. As such, I already went through the first phase of non-existence. This is only if you hold time as a real thing.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I think they frontload the perfume on the first 1/8'' of a deodorant stick, which is why you notice the scent so much at first but not as you use it more.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
all the drat time OP

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
When you really think about it, it's a near drat impossible chance that you're here. Everything had to go exactly a certain way for you to gain consciousness.

If infinity goes both ways towards the past and the future, how is it even possible that you're experiencing this right now?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grevling posted:

Billions of living things have been alived and died. But only a few of them had the chance to register and post at forums.somethingawful.com

I don't think 200k is a "few" buddy

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

My point was only that:

Prior to me existing - I did not exist.
After existing - I will no longer exist.

The way I see it, not being alive is the same as not being born yet. As such, I already went through the first phase of non-existence. This is only if you hold time as a real thing.

My point is you are defining the boundaries of existence by what you remember, everything outside your memory is non existence. It might be, but it might have been an existence you can't recall.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

My parents are atheist and I was raised to believe that death was just oblivion. When I asked them about it (I think I was 5 or so) I was told that death was just like being in a dreamless sleep and it won't matter that you don't exist anymore because you won't be able to care.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kazak posted:

My point is you are defining the boundaries of existence by what you remember, everything outside your memory is non existence. It might be, but it might have been an existence you can't recall.

And pixies might fart out french fries, but you're still retarded if you think that's true.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Who What Now posted:

And pixies might fart out french fries, but you're still retarded if you think that's true.

cant say that.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Kazak posted:

Oh that's fine with me.

Would anyone else be absolutely STOKED to see a ghost? Imagine being that poor ghost:

Ghost: *Ghost appears all scary like*
Me: "YESSSSSS WOOOOOOOOO! Thank CHRIST!"
Ghost: "...Wh....What?"
Me: "OH GOD! This is so good - oh this is such a relief!"
Ghost: "What the hell are you talking about?"
Me: "Oh there's an afterlife! an AFTERLIFE!"
Ghost: "So not scared at all?"
Me: "NOPE! Why would I be?"

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
Just take a poo poo and wipe your rear end.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Time to poo poo or get off the pot buddy. :shrek:

Or you could be like Elvis and die in your bathroom!

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Oh that's fine with me.

Would anyone else be absolutely STOKED to see a ghost? Imagine being that poor ghost:

Ghost: *Ghost appears all scary like*
Me: "YESSSSSS WOOOOOOOOO! Thank CHRIST!"
Ghost: "...Wh....What?"
Me: "OH GOD! This is so good - oh this is such a relief!"
Ghost: "What the hell are you talking about?"
Me: "Oh there's an afterlife! an AFTERLIFE!"
Ghost: "So not scared at all?"
Me: "NOPE! Why would I be?"

Ghost: but I am in constant pain

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Grevling posted:

Ghost: but I am in constant pain

Existence is suffering hth

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Identity and time are mere illusions so laugh at that fool who is no longer you.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
This thread needs crossover with World Toilet Day 2018 imho

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I can't wait to get flushed down the Universal Toilet

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dixville posted:

Or you could be like Elvis and die in your bathroom!

At least he died doin what he loved! (poopin) :shrek:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
When you die, you become a cool skeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

This clogs God's toilet. So he has to let you out and that's how skeleton army gets its recruits.

• Locked thread